Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin and Southampton.. 10:43 - Sep 24 with 3090 viewsBigCommon

Even this early into the season and his tenure at the club. Surely he's on borrowed time now.?
Four defeats on the spin, and yesterday a defeat to 2nd bottom Boro'..(Pleased for Carrick btw)...
With another International break looming, does anyone think he could be out of the picture during that break...
Even with the loss of some quality players, and him trying to get his style across. He still has a ridiculous squad of players for this division. Should definitely be getting more from them, imo.
Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 10:48 - Sep 24 with 3027 viewsJ2BLUE

He's an absolute fraud.

My big concern is Southampton come for McKenna so I am not wishing for him to get sacked.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 10:52 - Sep 24 with 3010 viewsDyland

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 10:48 - Sep 24 by J2BLUE

He's an absolute fraud.

My big concern is Southampton come for McKenna so I am not wishing for him to get sacked.

I'd be very disappointed if McKenna went somewhere like Southampton... though logically it kind of makes sense as a next move. In reality surely he wants to carry on developing players he has largely brought in and see how far he can go at Town, i.e. say, another two seasons after this one. But no one knows anyone that well (and I don't know Keiron at all), so who knows.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 10:53 - Sep 24 with 2996 viewsSwansea_Blue

He’ll suck the creativity out of them and get his keeper and CBs playing like the Chuckle Brothers - to you, to me, to you, to me…

I wasn’t sure how he’d get on there (and it’s still early days). Part of me thought he was a fraud down here at Swansea. Always talking about ‘the process’ and ‘following the plan’ but there was plenty evidence the process and plan were flawed. The same old mistakes dwelling on the ball week after week. Moving forward way too slowly, allowing the opposition to get into their defensive shape/block. The inability to adapt to different games, opponents or even situations in games. The same excuses week after week.

Part of me wondered whether he just needed better players to be able to implement his plan. Well he’s got them now but it all looks very familiar. And besides, isn’t the point of being a genius coach/manager to get the best out of what you have?

My gut feeling was probably right and probably is a fraud. Maybe they’ll come good, but I’d be surprised. He talks a good game, but doesn’t deliver one.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 10:54 - Sep 24 with 2990 viewsBigCommon

He's an absolute fraud.

Think KM is already out of their league to be recruited as a manager, tbf.. When he eventually moves on, it wont be tp a Championship side, imo. No matter how many times his name is mentioned on various threads involving the manager merry go round.
Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 11:00 - Sep 24 with 2938 viewsSwansea_Blue

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 10:54 - Sep 24 by BigCommon

Think KM is already out of their league to be recruited as a manager, tbf.. When he eventually moves on, it wont be tp a Championship side, imo. No matter how many times his name is mentioned on various threads involving the manager merry go round.

Agreed

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 11:02 - Sep 24 with 2936 viewsHerbivore

I thought Saints looked pretty clueless against us and with a bit more luck and composure we'd have beaten them by two or three at least. Their press was largely ineffective and they don't pass through the lines, just endlessly knock it back and forward. Their best moments came from us making mistakes or them picking up on a second ball in space, not through the 'patterns' Martin is trying to implement.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 11:02 - Sep 24 with 2935 viewsBigCommon

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 10:53 - Sep 24 by Swansea_Blue

He’ll suck the creativity out of them and get his keeper and CBs playing like the Chuckle Brothers - to you, to me, to you, to me…

I wasn’t sure how he’d get on there (and it’s still early days). Part of me thought he was a fraud down here at Swansea. Always talking about ‘the process’ and ‘following the plan’ but there was plenty evidence the process and plan were flawed. The same old mistakes dwelling on the ball week after week. Moving forward way too slowly, allowing the opposition to get into their defensive shape/block. The inability to adapt to different games, opponents or even situations in games. The same excuses week after week.

Part of me wondered whether he just needed better players to be able to implement his plan. Well he’s got them now but it all looks very familiar. And besides, isn’t the point of being a genius coach/manager to get the best out of what you have?

My gut feeling was probably right and probably is a fraud. Maybe they’ll come good, but I’d be surprised. He talks a good game, but doesn’t deliver one.

I haven't followed him as closely as you have. But youd have to say that hes got a better squad now to implement his ideas with. But still struggling for positive results... Could it be a charisma thing, where players just dont fully buy into him personally. I find him, quite dour at times...
Clearly there is a lot of negative baggage at Saints, following their relegation. But Martin just doesnt seem to have made any kind of impact on the mentality or character of whats left of their Prem squad.. That would worry me as a Saints fan..
Russell Martin and Southampton. on 11:03 - Sep 24 with 2929 viewsbluefunk

He's an absolute fraud.

Why would he go to Southampton? He is part way into a project where he has ALL the component parts in place, particularly the 100% backing of the owners/board/CEO and a squad of players he has chosen personally. Why swap that for a disjointed squad where half of them think they are better than they are, and who have proved that they won’t sign up to a manager who wants to play like McKenna wants to play.

KMc is only 37, he has time to stick with this project and still make the jump to a top club in due course, he doesn’t need to be in a hurry when everything here is set up for him to succeed and to build his reputation.
Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 11:23 - Sep 24 with 2798 viewsHighgateBlue

He's an absolute fraud.

McKenna is ambitious, ruthless and incredibly rationale. Which means, I think, that (a) he wants to get to the top, and whatever is said about there being no ceiling with Ipswich, ultimately he will want to be trying to win the Premier League and pit his wits at Champions League level, which means going elsewhere, but (b) will not wet his pants the first time a supposedly bigger club comes calling.

What is his best chance of achieving the above aim? I don't think it's taking Ipswich to the top six of the Championship, then leaving part way through that season to go to a Southampton, or even a Wolves, Bournemouth, Palace. Those latter clubs surely have a ceiling, and taking Palace to like 8th in the league from where they are now over the course of 18 months would be unlikely to be seen as a big upward trajectory in the same way that taking Ipswich from League One to where Brentford or Bournemouth have got to in the Premier League. I think the latter must be the plan. There's no reason why he can't later jump straight to a big big job if he takes us to mid table PL.

Very few managers succeed at every single job (see Unai Emery, Graham Potter, Eriksson, Hodgson, Tuchel even). Every change of job is a risk. There are so many known-knowns at Town - he knows how his team around him and above him will work, and he knows what resources he has. Imagine going to Southampton at Christmas and not going up? Finishing below Town even? It would look like madness. His stock is rising very nicely at the moment, but I just think one needs to ask what another club could offer that we can't? We're 22nd in the League pyramid and heading in the right direction. Best start to a season for 43 years, and are odds on for at least top six. He has his chance to take us to the Premier League. No Champ job will come up that has more of a chance of promotion. Any Premier League job that comes up in the next 12 months will come with health warnings and risks.

And he's still young. But he will not be a kid in the sweet shop. He'll go in, get a Saturday job in the sweet shop, and one day, eventually, will own the place.

Trust the process(ion).
Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 11:51 - Sep 24 with 2691 viewspatrickswell

He's an absolute fraud.

They may come for him, but I sincerely doubt McKenna would go there. Less than two years in to his managerial career, he’s Lord and Master of all he surveys here. The squad hang on his every word, the crowd have total faith in him, his relationship with Ashton seems to be solid and sound, he’s not under pressure here - this start is still a wonderful surprise and we will follow it through to however it ends -.and he is still learning his trade. I can’t see him ripping that up to try his luck at a richer club, but one that is, as Martin indicated, “damaged”, when he’s put so much work into building up a club which right now, is thriving and with the potential to achieve so much.
Russell Martin and Southampton. on 11:57 - Sep 24 with 2660 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Russell Martin and Southampton. on 11:03 - Sep 24 by bluefunk

Why would he go to Southampton? He is part way into a project where he has ALL the component parts in place, particularly the 100% backing of the owners/board/CEO and a squad of players he has chosen personally. Why swap that for a disjointed squad where half of them think they are better than they are, and who have proved that they won’t sign up to a manager who wants to play like McKenna wants to play.

KMc is only 37, he has time to stick with this project and still make the jump to a top club in due course, he doesn’t need to be in a hurry when everything here is set up for him to succeed and to build his reputation.

Indeed. McKenna could stay here for 10 years and still be a relatively young manager.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 11:58 - Sep 24 with 2645 viewsChurchman

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 11:51 - Sep 24 by patrickswell

They may come for him, but I sincerely doubt McKenna would go there. Less than two years in to his managerial career, he’s Lord and Master of all he surveys here. The squad hang on his every word, the crowd have total faith in him, his relationship with Ashton seems to be solid and sound, he’s not under pressure here - this start is still a wonderful surprise and we will follow it through to however it ends -.and he is still learning his trade. I can’t see him ripping that up to try his luck at a richer club, but one that is, as Martin indicated, “damaged”, when he’s put so much work into building up a club which right now, is thriving and with the potential to achieve so much.

There’s nothing really in it for him at Southampton. He’s building something here and establishing his reputation. Why risk that for them? He will leave when the time comes for a club like Spurs or possibly Man U.
Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 12:06 - Sep 24 with 2595 viewsArnieM

Martin is a chip off the ole Lambert block I think. Talks a good game but lacks ability to get his players to carry it out.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 12:13 - Sep 24 with 2565 viewsCheltenham_Blue

He's an absolute fraud.

No chance at all.
It sounds like we are giving McKenna everything he asks for. New training ground next.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 12:15]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 12:35 - Sep 24 with 2497 viewsWeWereZombies

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 12:06 - Sep 24 by ArnieM

Martin is a chip off the ole Lambert block I think. Talks a good game but lacks ability to get his players to carry it out.

And also has Matt Gill as assistant...my conspiracy theory is that Gill persuades the manager to implement duff tactics and when they fail and are sacked he steps up with all the ideas he never gave them ?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 12:38 - Sep 24 with 2487 viewsSwansea_Blue

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 11:02 - Sep 24 by BigCommon

I haven't followed him as closely as you have. But youd have to say that hes got a better squad now to implement his ideas with. But still struggling for positive results... Could it be a charisma thing, where players just dont fully buy into him personally. I find him, quite dour at times...
Clearly there is a lot of negative baggage at Saints, following their relegation. But Martin just doesnt seem to have made any kind of impact on the mentality or character of whats left of their Prem squad.. That would worry me as a Saints fan..

He seems to get some players on board (Manning followed him to S’ton after all), but also he used to criticise some of his players for not buying in to what he wanted them to do. So who knows. He just seems quite limited. His teams seem a bit off the pace too and a bit weak.

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 13:00 - Sep 24 with 2407 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 11:23 - Sep 24 by HighgateBlue

McKenna is ambitious, ruthless and incredibly rationale. Which means, I think, that (a) he wants to get to the top, and whatever is said about there being no ceiling with Ipswich, ultimately he will want to be trying to win the Premier League and pit his wits at Champions League level, which means going elsewhere, but (b) will not wet his pants the first time a supposedly bigger club comes calling.

What is his best chance of achieving the above aim? I don't think it's taking Ipswich to the top six of the Championship, then leaving part way through that season to go to a Southampton, or even a Wolves, Bournemouth, Palace. Those latter clubs surely have a ceiling, and taking Palace to like 8th in the league from where they are now over the course of 18 months would be unlikely to be seen as a big upward trajectory in the same way that taking Ipswich from League One to where Brentford or Bournemouth have got to in the Premier League. I think the latter must be the plan. There's no reason why he can't later jump straight to a big big job if he takes us to mid table PL.

Very few managers succeed at every single job (see Unai Emery, Graham Potter, Eriksson, Hodgson, Tuchel even). Every change of job is a risk. There are so many known-knowns at Town - he knows how his team around him and above him will work, and he knows what resources he has. Imagine going to Southampton at Christmas and not going up? Finishing below Town even? It would look like madness. His stock is rising very nicely at the moment, but I just think one needs to ask what another club could offer that we can't? We're 22nd in the League pyramid and heading in the right direction. Best start to a season for 43 years, and are odds on for at least top six. He has his chance to take us to the Premier League. No Champ job will come up that has more of a chance of promotion. Any Premier League job that comes up in the next 12 months will come with health warnings and risks.

And he's still young. But he will not be a kid in the sweet shop. He'll go in, get a Saturday job in the sweet shop, and one day, eventually, will own the place.

Trust the process(ion).

Spot on.

Cream will rise to the top ... as long as you don't keep shaking the pot. It would take something clearly better to attract him away. Eventually that will come but not until he has taken us a lot further than he has so far.

As for the OP, Russell Martin must be perfect for taking over at Carrow Road, surely.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 13:03 - Sep 24 with 2380 viewsWestSussexBlue

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 10:52 - Sep 24 by Dyland

I'd be very disappointed if McKenna went somewhere like Southampton... though logically it kind of makes sense as a next move. In reality surely he wants to carry on developing players he has largely brought in and see how far he can go at Town, i.e. say, another two seasons after this one. But no one knows anyone that well (and I don't know Keiron at all), so who knows.

Logically it would make no sense whatsoever. Southampton as a club have been in decline for a number of seasons, we as a club are on an upward trajectory with KM, Ashton and the owners all focused on one thing. There’s not a chance he’d take arguably a sideways step to a club like Southampton.
Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 13:10 - Sep 24 with 2355 viewsMK1

The longer Southampton suffer the better. With the right manager, they can still obviously make top 2, so hope they keep the useless Martin.
Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 13:10 - Sep 24 with 2353 viewsWestSussexBlue

In the past 10 months they’ve had Four managers, Three have been sacked. The caretaker manager (Selles) turned the job down as did Javi Gracia. The owners are very underwhelming and not popular by the fans, however they’re getting to the point now of having to give a manager time and hope it works out as they can’t keeping sacking them off.
Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 13:58 - Sep 24 with 2237 viewsDyland

Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 13:03 - Sep 24 by WestSussexBlue

Logically it would make no sense whatsoever. Southampton as a club have been in decline for a number of seasons, we as a club are on an upward trajectory with KM, Ashton and the owners all focused on one thing. There’s not a chance he’d take arguably a sideways step to a club like Southampton.

Logically it does make sense. Parachute money, a deeper quality squad, a club as set up to go up as much if not more so than ITFC. In reality though logic is bollix, as I implied. The reality is he's much better off here. But we don't know what goes on in other people's heads.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Russell Martin and Southampton. on 14:22 - Sep 24 with 2127 viewsDBaldy

Russell Martin and Southampton. on 11:57 - Sep 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

Indeed. McKenna could stay here for 10 years and still be a relatively young manager.

Massively hypothetical question, but if McKenna is still here in 10 years time, how high do you think he'll have taken us?

Given his ambitions to coach in the Champions League, makes you wonder what could be in store for us over these next few years.

No chance he goes to Southampton though for the many reasons stated in this thread.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2023 14:23]
Russell Martin and Southampton.. on 15:18 - Sep 24 with 1989 viewsRegencyBlue

Martin seems to be rated as a manager but I can’t see what he’s really done to warrant the reputation he has.

I was at Southampton on Tuesday and he’s certainly under pressure. The natives were very restless and my guess is it will get toxic extremely quickly at their next home game if things carry on as they are.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024