Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Teenagers of TWTD 09:45 - Aug 24 with 1767 viewsBlueBadger

If you’re getting your GCSE results today, don’t forget to put the paperwork into your National Record of Achievement folder. Every employer until the day you die will insist upon seeing every single item you place into that brown document carrier. No exceptions.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Teenagers of TWTD on 09:47 - Aug 24 with 1741 viewshomer_123

Also remember that they do not define you, in any way whatsoever.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Teenagers of TWTD on 09:50 - Aug 24 with 1725 viewsBlueBadger

Teenagers of TWTD on 09:47 - Aug 24 by homer_123

And remember, Jeremy Clarkson failed his exams and was forced to rely on wealthy parents and extensive contacts to get himself where he is today.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Teenagers of TWTD on 10:18 - Aug 24 with 1647 viewsthe_toff

I'd say it's more of a burgundy
Teenagers of TWTD on 10:37 - Aug 24 with 1600 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Teenagers of TWTD on 09:47 - Aug 24 by homer_123

I think Badger's being sarcastic.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Teenagers of TWTD on 10:42 - Aug 24 with 1591 viewsMattinLondon

Are they still around? A few years ago when I went up in my parents loft I saw mine for the first time in decades. Apart from putting it up in the loft in the first place, I don’t think I barely touched it since I was sixteen.
Teenagers of TWTD on 10:44 - Aug 24 with 1583 viewsMullet

Teenagers of TWTD on 10:42 - Aug 24 by MattinLondon

Are they still around? A few years ago when I went up in my parents loft I saw mine for the first time in decades. Apart from putting it up in the loft in the first place, I don’t think I barely touched it since I was sixteen.

No, ditched years ago. I took mine to a recent interview and we all had a good laugh about them.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Teenagers of TWTD on 11:13 - Aug 24 with 1536 viewshomer_123

Teenagers of TWTD on 10:37 - Aug 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

I think Badger's being sarcastic.

No sh*t sherlock

Teenagers of TWTD on 11:21 - Aug 24 with 1512 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Teenagers of TWTD on 11:13 - Aug 24 by homer_123

No sh*t sherlock

In which case your reply ought to have been "Also remember that they absolutely define you, in every way" surely?

Login to get fewer ads

Teenagers of TWTD on 11:28 - Aug 24 with 1499 viewshomer_123

Teenagers of TWTD on 11:21 - Aug 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

In which case your reply ought to have been "Also remember that they absolutely define you, in every way" surely?

Don't call me Shirley!

Teenagers of TWTD on 12:51 - Aug 24 with 1415 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’d never heard of one of them; I’m too old for having one and we never recruit school leavers. I’m assuming it wasn’t a great success!

It’s a happy Swanners household today - eldest did well in his first year GSCE results. Far better than his old man did, who is a bit of a thicko by most accounts.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Teenagers of TWTD on 12:54 - Aug 24 with 1397 viewsDubtractor

Even as a 16 year old I realised that no employer was going to give a toss about those burgundy folders.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Teenagers of TWTD on 13:01 - Aug 24 with 1377 viewsMullet

Teenagers of TWTD on 12:54 - Aug 24 by Dubtractor

Even as a 16 year old I realised that no employer was going to give a toss about those burgundy folders.

Did they even have McFlurry machines back then?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Teenagers of TWTD on 16:25 - Aug 24 with 1260 viewsbluelagos

True story

I am of an age where no one warned me to keep these things safe. In my late 30s I applied for and was accepted onto a PGCE, subject to proving my exam results.

One I needed was my O'level Maths which given I was a qualified accountant, had a mathematical degree seemed ridiculous. Had had a few house moves and couldn't find it.

The offer letter was followed up with another - "Failure to provide proof by xyz date means we will withdraw our offer". Couldn't find it and was in Liberia (as you do) with sod all hope of tracking it down so accepted I wouldn't be doing a PGCE that year.

Few months later I got a call from the University as to why I hadn't attended the induction. Explained why and they agreed to defer my place for 12 months and advised my degree would be sufficient.

Point being whilst no one may give a sht, if the computer says you need your GCSE Maths and English then make life easy and put them in the fcking folder and keep em safe. You never know...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Teenagers of TWTD on 16:29 - Aug 24 with 1247 viewsTractorWood

I think my first job in the late 2000's asked for a certificate or two but nothing since. It's good advice for degrees and other mass entry stuff but for jobs, particularly in professional services. It's pretty unlikely they'll ask for anything bar your most recent qualification and a reference or two.

That said, keeping your affairs in order is always sound advice.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2023 16:37]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Teenagers of TWTD on 17:06 - Aug 24 with 1193 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Teenagers of TWTD on 16:29 - Aug 24 by TractorWood

I think my first job in the late 2000's asked for a certificate or two but nothing since. It's good advice for degrees and other mass entry stuff but for jobs, particularly in professional services. It's pretty unlikely they'll ask for anything bar your most recent qualification and a reference or two.

That said, keeping your affairs in order is always sound advice.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2023 16:37]

I've never needed to prove my degree let alone my A-levels or GCSEs.

Teenagers of TWTD on 17:12 - Aug 24 with 1173 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Teenagers of TWTD on 16:25 - Aug 24 by bluelagos

True story

I am of an age where no one warned me to keep these things safe. In my late 30s I applied for and was accepted onto a PGCE, subject to proving my exam results.

One I needed was my O'level Maths which given I was a qualified accountant, had a mathematical degree seemed ridiculous. Had had a few house moves and couldn't find it.

The offer letter was followed up with another - "Failure to provide proof by xyz date means we will withdraw our offer". Couldn't find it and was in Liberia (as you do) with sod all hope of tracking it down so accepted I wouldn't be doing a PGCE that year.

Few months later I got a call from the University as to why I hadn't attended the induction. Explained why and they agreed to defer my place for 12 months and advised my degree would be sufficient.

Point being whilst no one may give a sht, if the computer says you need your GCSE Maths and English then make life easy and put them in the fcking folder and keep em safe. You never know...

There's a folder!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Teenagers of TWTD on 18:20 - Aug 24 with 1120 viewsfactual_blue

I've kept my O and A level certificates, my degree certificates and my professional qualifications with me24/7 since the day each one was issued.

I keep them all in a cardboard tube secreted about my person.

You can't be too careful, and this sense of security outweighs the discomfort and occasional trips to A&E that have been involved.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Teenagers of TWTD on 18:22 - Aug 24 with 1116 viewsChurchman

Teenagers of TWTD on 10:44 - Aug 24 by Mullet

No, ditched years ago. I took mine to a recent interview and we all had a good laugh about them.

I was asked for them a few times in the early years but not in later life. I thought they’d been lost years ago, but it turns out I’d left them all with my mum. Presumably as I knew she’d not lose them. And she didn’t.

There the all were, along with school reports, swimming certificates, other stuff, you name it in an A4 labelled envelope. Another contained letters I’d written when I’d been away and all sorts of other correspondence.

I read the school reports and am amazed she kept them given the disappointment she must have felt seeing them and the lot went in the shredder. Most of the rest did too, though some of the better stuff is in the loft (I think). No idea why. It’s not as if I have any desire or need to see them again.

I ramble. Back to the point, it’s right to not do as I did and keep good records. There’s nothing to be gained by not other than potential grief.
Teenagers of TWTD on 18:25 - Aug 24 with 1103 viewsDubtractor

Teenagers of TWTD on 16:25 - Aug 24 by bluelagos

True story

To be fair, the OP isn't about keeping exam certificates, which is sensible.

It is very specifically about this, which only a small group of us will have ever been introduced to, and which was well intended nonsense that no employer ever gave a toss about. We were all told that it was vital though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Record_of_Achievement

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Teenagers of TWTD on 21:29 - Aug 24 with 1005 viewsPlums

You are Simon Harris. I claim my £5.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Teenagers of TWTD on 21:39 - Aug 24 with 978 viewsMattinLondon

Teenagers of TWTD on 17:06 - Aug 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've never needed to prove my degree let alone my A-levels or GCSEs.

I hope that you’re not a medical doctor.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024