Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Being honest 20:13 - Aug 1 with 4041 viewsFrimleyBlue

Who genuinely thought we'd be going into the season potentially with just 2 new outfield players in the squad.

*changed to 2. I'd forgotten hutchinson.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 21:15]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Being honest on 20:24 - Aug 1 with 3133 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Two surely with Hutchinson and Taylor. I dunno, would be nice to have everything done before the season starts but there's a month to go *in the window, we don't look like losing anyone we want to keep and Ashton says at least two or three more to come. Unfortunately we probably have to wait for things to happen elsewhere which makes for a frustrating wait. Biggest concern is that we don't panic and make some rash signings if/when top targets don't materialise.

I think you mentioned elsewhere being keen on Cashin? Me too.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 20:25]

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Being honest on 20:25 - Aug 1 with 3118 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Omari and Taylor = 2

We all wanted Hirst back as well so makes no difference if he was here last season
Being honest on 20:33 - Aug 1 with 3048 viewsbackwaywhen

In KM we trust bed wetters ………..
Being honest on 20:39 - Aug 1 with 3003 viewsJ2BLUE

Pathetic. This really takes some spin.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Being honest on 20:39 - Aug 1 with 3002 viewsRobTheMonk

Expected Hirst back. Done.
Expected a winger. Done.
Expected another midfielder. Done, with a caveat being that I’ve never really been that impressed with Taylor.

Expected us to have a centre back in.

So other than the centre back, we’re about where we thought I would be. They’ll be some activity in the last week of the transfer window.
Being honest on 20:45 - Aug 1 with 2949 viewsPioneerBlue

Being honest on 20:39 - Aug 1 by RobTheMonk

Expected a winger. Done.
Expected another midfielder. Done, with a caveat being that I’ve never really been that impressed with Taylor.

So other than the centre back, we’re about where we thought I would be. They’ll be some activity in the last week of the transfer window.

I’m with you. I perhaps expected that we might also have moved Edwards and Jackson or else brought players that would compete which is where OH comes into the picture.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Being honest on 20:49 - Aug 1 with 2886 viewsVaughan8

Sometimes deals don't happen until other deals happen etc and it takes time. We've got until the end of August to do deals so I wouldn't panic about the first game.

We have a good enough and big enough squad to compete at the level. Yes if you want us to be the best team, we probably needed a whole new 11....
Being honest on 21:05 - Aug 1 with 2775 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Expected a winger. Done.

Wasn't this also roughly where we were when we kicked off last season? We had wanted a couple more signings before kick off but ended up getting them in after it started.

We did OK and were able to improve drastically in January.

I think it would be more of a concern to have had a radical overhaul based on an assumption that those who did it in League 1 won't cope in the Championship. We have built a team and small changes are going to be better than overhauls. Many of the squad have experience at this level already too. We will be OK but I think expectations of challenging for promotion this season are optimistic.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Being honest on 21:05 - Aug 1 with 2772 viewsReusersTown

Your mask is slipping again!
Being honest on 21:07 - Aug 1 with 2750 viewsKeno

We have new 2 outfield players and resigned one loan signing so arguably thats 3

but perhaps much more importantly we have got McKenna on a long term deal, tied down Loungo Chappers and others

got a modern new shiny pitch

and an orange away kit

to me thats a pretty good close season so far

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Being honest on 21:09 - Aug 1 with 2732 viewsFrimleyBlue

Being honest on 20:24 - Aug 1 by SlippinJimmyJuan

Two surely with Hutchinson and Taylor. I dunno, would be nice to have everything done before the season starts but there's a month to go *in the window, we don't look like losing anyone we want to keep and Ashton says at least two or three more to come. Unfortunately we probably have to wait for things to happen elsewhere which makes for a frustrating wait. Biggest concern is that we don't panic and make some rash signings if/when top targets don't materialise.

I think you mentioned elsewhere being keen on Cashin? Me too.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 20:25]

Sorry for delay.

Yeah my bad I forgot about hutch.

Waka waka eh eh

Being honest on 21:10 - Aug 1 with 2730 viewsjayessess

I mean, been saying all Summer long that the talk of big fees, transfer records, statement signings, mass exodus of players, probably wouldn't materialise.

If you'd told me in May that we'd get to August and have signed up Taylor and Hirst, plus got a Premier League loan player to compete with Burns, I'd be wondering where the LCB was but not much more than that really.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Being honest on 21:13 - Aug 1 with 2676 viewsFrimleyBlue

Being honest on 21:05 - Aug 1 by ReusersTown

Your mask is slipping again!

Not at all. You can have a discussion about town that's not fluffy without it being panic stations etc

Of course it's great we've resigned the likes of hirst and luongo. But on actually strenghing the side of last season we have taylor who I do like btw. And hutch who I'd forgotten about who's exciting but raw.

I don't think it'll be long before we do more. I just personally didn't think we'd potentially be going into the first game with pretty much the same side we had the league below. Which whilst it was of course successful, was still the league below.

Waka waka eh eh

Being honest on 21:13 - Aug 1 with 2665 viewsBlueBadger

At this point, I not sure if you're trying to be TalkingSh1te's tribute act or he's your tribute act.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Being honest on 21:19 - Aug 1 with 2615 viewsBlueBadger

Being honest on 21:07 - Aug 1 by Keno

We have new 2 outfield players and resigned one loan signing so arguably thats 3

but perhaps much more importantly we have got McKenna on a long term deal, tied down Loungo Chappers and others

got a modern new shiny pitch

and an orange away kit

to me thats a pretty good close season so far

People definitely underestimate the value of continuity. We have a settled, well-drilled squad with terrific cohesion, team spirit and an established pattern of play.

That counts for a lot in the Championship as well.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Being honest on 21:21 - Aug 1 with 2574 viewsN2_Blue

Yes me

See post made in May

So is this who is technically at the club right now as first team?- Jackson incl by N2_Blue 23 May 2023 15:46
All this talk of multiple in and outs… Am I the only one that doesn’t think there will be much change in terms of new signings and some fans are going to find the transfer window boring. Sure we’ll go for Hirst or another striker and then maybe one or two key players. But I think that will be our lot.

The reason is we have no idea how good this squad is at champ level. It could be be good enough, it could be miles off but I think we’ll what see what the core of squad can do. I only think a few will leave if offers come in.

I then think we are likely to try Jan again like we did this year and if the squad is not competitive enough at this level with much bigger change for the following season if it is shown to be needed.

I think we are a crest of a wave with morale and momentum. Change too much and you could jeopardise that. I think 3 maybe 4 new faces max.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Being honest on 21:22 - Aug 1 with 2555 viewsBlueBadger

Expected a winger. Done.

Cook and, to a lesser extent, Hurst have made people a bit weird about transfer windows here.

Continuity, even when you're going up(or down) a division is king. Adding to the squad players who'll enhance and broaden your squad depth rather than whole sale change EVERY F**KING WINDOW is not necessary.

Being honest on 21:25 - Aug 1 with 2508 viewsFrimleyBlue

Being honest on 21:19 - Aug 1 by BlueBadger

People definitely underestimate the value of continuity. We have a settled, well-drilled squad with terrific cohesion, team spirit and an established pattern of play.

We wouldn't be trying to sort out 2/3 new additions if we were only interested in continuity. You are correct it's important but so is squad quality.

Our starting 11 imo finishes top 10 maybe top 6.

But outside of that starting 11...

Waka waka eh eh

Being honest on 21:27 - Aug 1 with 2480 viewsN2_Blue

Being honest on 21:21 - Aug 1 by N2_Blue

Yes me

See post made in May

So is this who is technically at the club right now as first team?- Jackson incl by N2_Blue 23 May 2023 15:46
All this talk of multiple in and outs… Am I the only one that doesn’t think there will be much change in terms of new signings and some fans are going to find the transfer window boring. Sure we’ll go for Hirst or another striker and then maybe one or two key players. But I think that will be our lot.

The reason is we have no idea how good this squad is at champ level. It could be be good enough, it could be miles off but I think we’ll what see what the core of squad can do. I only think a few will leave if offers come in.

I then think we are likely to try Jan again like we did this year and if the squad is not competitive enough at this level with much bigger change for the following season if it is shown to be needed.

I think we are a crest of a wave with morale and momentum. Change too much and you could jeopardise that. I think 3 maybe 4 new faces max.

I basically nailed it with “Sure we’ll go for Hirst or another striker and then maybe one or two key players. But I think that will be our lot”.

And I’m happy with that. Just a CB would be nice

Being honest on 21:27 - Aug 1 with 2469 viewsFrimleyBlue

Being honest on 21:22 - Aug 1 by BlueBadger

Cook and, to a lesser extent, Hurst have made people a bit weird about transfer windows here.

Continuity, even when you're going up(or down) a division is king. Adding to the squad players who'll enhance and broaden your squad depth rather than whole sale change EVERY F**KING WINDOW is not necessary.

No ones talking of whole sale changes BB

But only 2 new players a whole squad is quite low, no?

Waka waka eh eh

Being honest on 21:28 - Aug 1 with 2446 viewsN2_Blue

Being honest on 21:22 - Aug 1 by BlueBadger

Don’t always agree with you but agree with everything in this post

Being honest on 21:29 - Aug 1 with 2420 views765765

Being honest on 21:19 - Aug 1 by BlueBadger

Completely agree. This sudden "we're in the Championship now so they're not good enough, and they're not good enough, and..." is nonsense. Yes it's a step up, but if our excellent manager thought we needed a massive overhaul, our excellent CEO would have been making it happen. As another poster says, in McKenna we trust.
Being honest on 21:31 - Aug 1 with 2388 viewsBlueBadger

Being honest on 21:25 - Aug 1 by FrimleyBlue

We wouldn't be trying to sort out 2/3 new additions if we were only interested in continuity. You are correct it's important but so is squad quality.

Our starting 11 imo finishes top 10 maybe top 6.

But outside of that starting 11...

We undoubtedly vastly improved squad quality when Cook came in. Trouble is. It took till nearly January to get them all playing together. Mid table consolidation this season would only be a disaster for the bedwetter brigade.

Being honest on 21:32 - Aug 1 with 2376 viewsGuthrum

I din't think there'd be all that much turnover. Plus there is always more activity in the last few weeks of the window than early on.

Moreover, I don't believe we'll do all that badly with what we have. Certainly avoiding a relegation scrap.

People seem to be overstating the gap between divisions, whereas, in reality, there's a degree of overlap (things didn't get markedly easier after we were relegated). And you don't need to match the top six to survive, you just need a dozen wins and about the same number of draws (in a lot of seasons that would get you more towards lower-mid-table).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Being honest on 21:33 - Aug 1 with 2369 viewsibbleobble

Expected a winger. Done.

Agree on Taylor, never quite understood the clamour for him in the games I’ve watched but happy to be proved wrong. Morsy, Luongo, Ball, Humphries and Evans is a pretty decent Championship midfield with plenty of experience regardless.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024