Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Historic population of Ipswich and Bury 13:14 - May 5 with 2429 viewsthatbdude

Has Ipswich always been bigger than Bury or is just recent history?

I tried looking this up and I'm struggling to find anything about it, so if any Suffolk historians now about please tell me in the thread.

While I'm at it was Ipswich always the epicentre and capital of Suffolk or was it Bury?

Don't want to cause drama because its something I'm actually interested in.

Poll: Who going down?

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 13:16 - May 5 with 2389 viewsMattinLondon

If I remember my history correctly (which is rather unlikely) I thought that Ipswich during the medieval times was quite a big urban centre - by the standards of the time. Much more do than Bury.
Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 13:21 - May 5 with 2364 viewsGeoffSentence

I found this website which has historical data by area. Maybe not possible to make a direct comparision since it has data for St Edmundsbury district rather than Bury itself, but the district was more populous than Ipswich in the early 19th Century

https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/unit/10168351/cube/TOT_POP

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 13:24 - May 5 with 2341 viewsGeoffSentence

Another decent one here, gives estimated population figures for both at various points through history

https://localhistories.org/a-history-of-bury-st-edmunds/
https://localhistories.org/a-history-of-ipswich/

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 13:29 - May 5 with 2314 viewsOldsmoker

A quick look at wikipedia and

Born on Christmas Day 841 AD, Edmund succeeded to the throne of East Anglia in 856. Brought up as a Christian, he fought alongside King Alfred of Wessex.
Ipswich was already well established as a large settlement by then and Beodericsworth, where they buried Edmund, was a religious community that later became Bury st Ed.
It appears that for the first 500 years Ipswich was well ahead of Bury.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 13:29 - May 5 with 2313 viewsunbelievablue

Depends how far back you go. At one point Dunwich was probably bigger/more important than Ipswich.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 13:47 - May 5 with 2234 viewsGuthrum

Worth remembering that for a long time Suffolk was divided in two, East Suffolk and West Suffolk (formally between 1888 and 1974, judicially and administratively before that). East Suffolk was run from Ipswich and West Suffolk from Bury.

So there were two epicentres, depending upon where in the county you were.
[Post edited 5 May 2023 13:47]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 13:55 - May 5 with 2198 viewsbournemouthblue

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 13:16 - May 5 by MattinLondon

If I remember my history correctly (which is rather unlikely) I thought that Ipswich during the medieval times was quite a big urban centre - by the standards of the time. Much more do than Bury.

Ipswich is a very old Town and has a significant history so always would have been the largest settlement I suspect

Bury has been a success in a more modern era but in terms of scale, is a lot smaller

Lowestoft is the forgotten Town when it comes to Suffolk really, that's our second biggest Town

Dunwich would have been quite important at one stage too

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 18:30 - May 5 with 2015 viewsBluespeed225

A large part of Burys' population did disappear up it's own backside in 2007. They are yet to be found, but rumour has it they are now saying they ' Feel more part part of Cambridge', as Ipswich is too blue collar and has immigrants and a Labour council.
Login to get fewer ads

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 10:41 - May 7 with 1771 viewsbournemouthblue

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 18:30 - May 5 by Bluespeed225

A large part of Burys' population did disappear up it's own backside in 2007. They are yet to be found, but rumour has it they are now saying they ' Feel more part part of Cambridge', as Ipswich is too blue collar and has immigrants and a Labour council.

Bury is very proud that it is nice and that's fine, it's a more middle class area

Good luck to them, however there's always been a bit of smarminess in the media in modern times that everything Bury does is great and everything Ipswich does, simply isn't

I think the truth is a lot greyer

It does seem to be a cultural thing in Ipswich to be overly negative and self-depricating which does contribute in holding it back

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 10:44 - May 7 with 1748 viewsleitrimblue

Depends how far you wanna go back I guess.
Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 10:59 - May 7 with 1713 viewsDJR

This suggests that Bury was the bigger town in the 11th-14th century period but that Ipswich was the bigger town thereafter. There is a suggestion that the town of Bury grew up around the relics of St Edmund who was buried there in the 10th century, so maybe before that Ipswich was the bigger town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_England_by_historical_
[Post edited 7 May 2023 11:12]
Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 11:40 - May 7 with 1622 viewsWeWereZombies

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 10:44 - May 7 by leitrimblue

Depends how far you wanna go back I guess.

OK, how many brontosaurus lived in Ipswich compared to Bury (St. Edmunds, just in case you base that data on Lancashire...)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 11:45 - May 7 with 1602 viewsthatbdude

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 13:29 - May 5 by unbelievablue

Depends how far back you go. At one point Dunwich was probably bigger/more important than Ipswich.

I learnt about the history of dunwich years ago. Always wondered what Suffolk could be like if the seas didn't come crashing in.

Poll: Who going down?

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 11:47 - May 7 with 1594 viewsnoggin

Leeds would have taken more than both.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 11:50 - May 7 with 1588 viewsWeWereZombies

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 11:45 - May 7 by thatbdude

I learnt about the history of dunwich years ago. Always wondered what Suffolk could be like if the seas didn't come crashing in.

Have you read 'Men of Dunwich' by Rowland Parker ? Great book and made me think about how much better a reputation for piracy Suffolk would have had if Dunwich had not collapsed into the North Sea.

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 11:51 - May 7 with 1586 viewsleitrimblue

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 11:40 - May 7 by WeWereZombies

OK, how many brontosaurus lived in Ipswich compared to Bury (St. Edmunds, just in case you base that data on Lancashire...)

I know there was a large Brontosaurus camp/city just outside Ipswich because stone age cavemen drew a little picture of it with crayons in a cave near Martlesham.Bury is a mystery til Edmund invented the camera and started a photographic diary of the town circa 963 AD
Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 11:54 - May 7 with 1571 viewscatch74

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 11:45 - May 7 by thatbdude

From recollection it was possibly England’s most important port, the townsfolk would yearly build sea defences to curb the erosion. Think there was a storm
or the estuary gradually silted up. The town decreased in size as there was less business from the port - which then meant they built less successful defences and the sea just started taking the town bit by bit.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 12:00 - May 7 with 1562 viewsWeWereZombies

Historic population of Ipswich and Bury on 11:54 - May 7 by catch74

From recollection it was possibly England’s most important port, the townsfolk would yearly build sea defences to curb the erosion. Think there was a storm
or the estuary gradually silted up. The town decreased in size as there was less business from the port - which then meant they built less successful defences and the sea just started taking the town bit by bit.

From memory, yeah beat that Facters (no this from 'Men of Dunwich', which I am not to go downstairs and pull off the shelf so soon to the start of the match), there were two major storms a few decades apart. The first brought about a silting up which in turn brought about a decrease in trade, somewhat mitigated by dredging. But they continued to build houses and other buildings as the port expanded and this contributed to the disaster when the second major storm happened.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024