Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Buy the stadium back 12:06 - May 3 with 4616 viewshunty21

It has been a long time since the dire days of selling the stadium to the council are we in a position to now buy the stadium back or is it just financially not worth it at the moment ?
Buy the stadium back on 12:07 - May 3 with 3966 viewsNthQldITFC

Eh?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Buy the stadium back on 12:10 - May 3 with 3927 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The council don't own the stadium. And we've never sold the stadium or the ground to them.
They own the land the stadium sits on, and always have done.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Buy the stadium back on 12:13 - May 3 with 3894 viewsHerbivore

We own the stadium, the council owns the land and always has done. Not sure there's much benefit to us owning the land, there's an argument it makes us vulnerable to less scrupulous owners.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Buy the stadium back on 12:19 - May 3 with 3844 viewsPrideOfTheEast

what dire days were those then?
Buy the stadium back on 12:22 - May 3 with 3817 viewsJ2BLUE

The current situation is perfect. We should be pushing for a very long lease of the ground the stadium is on but it should never be owned by anyone except the people of Ipswich.

GC are brilliant but we never know who is coming down the line.

Edit: If not owning the land is a deal breaker for any future buyer then it's a big bullet dodged.
[Post edited 3 May 2023 12:23]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Buy the stadium back on 12:27 - May 3 with 3768 viewsN2_Blue

What? I don’t think you understand the situation.

Land is owned by council, stadium owned by the club.
It’s absolutely the perfect situation. Ensures stadium can’t be sold off and will always be a football ground effectively, but the club is basically free to upgrade ground as it wants subject to planning position. Even more so now that it has purchased surrounding land.

It also seems the owners and the council are collaborating together to regenerate the area and make it a hospitality hub for if / when we return to highest level.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Buy the stadium back on 13:03 - May 3 with 3541 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Wut?

The council own the land; we own the buildings standing on it.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Buy the stadium back on 13:04 - May 3 with 3537 viewsHighgateBlue

Buy the stadium back on 12:27 - May 3 by N2_Blue

What? I don’t think you understand the situation.

Land is owned by council, stadium owned by the club.
It’s absolutely the perfect situation. Ensures stadium can’t be sold off and will always be a football ground effectively, but the club is basically free to upgrade ground as it wants subject to planning position. Even more so now that it has purchased surrounding land.

It also seems the owners and the council are collaborating together to regenerate the area and make it a hospitality hub for if / when we return to highest level.

I agree that the present situation is the best one for the Club, as the freehold being owned by the Council protects us from any future unscrupulous owner mortgaging the freehold to the hilt.

As long as the Council and the Club want it to be a football ground, it will be. But.... if the Council decided it wanted to redevelop the ground, and build something else there, it could do, at the end of the current contractual term of the lease. The mere fact that the stands are attached to the land does not prevent the Council from terminating the lease in accordance with the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954.

I'm not saying it's likely. But this business about the Club "owning" the stadium isn't quite accurate as a matter of land law. The stadium is part of the land, having been fixed to it. The land over which the Club has a lease includes the stadium. The extent to which the Club is compelled, or entitled, to remove the stadium at the end of the lease will be governed by the terms of the lease, and the terms of any licence to alter which may have been granted in the past.
Login to get fewer ads

Buy the stadium back on 13:15 - May 3 with 3448 viewsVegtablue

Buy the stadium back on 13:04 - May 3 by HighgateBlue

I agree that the present situation is the best one for the Club, as the freehold being owned by the Council protects us from any future unscrupulous owner mortgaging the freehold to the hilt.

As long as the Council and the Club want it to be a football ground, it will be. But.... if the Council decided it wanted to redevelop the ground, and build something else there, it could do, at the end of the current contractual term of the lease. The mere fact that the stands are attached to the land does not prevent the Council from terminating the lease in accordance with the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954.

I'm not saying it's likely. But this business about the Club "owning" the stadium isn't quite accurate as a matter of land law. The stadium is part of the land, having been fixed to it. The land over which the Club has a lease includes the stadium. The extent to which the Club is compelled, or entitled, to remove the stadium at the end of the lease will be governed by the terms of the lease, and the terms of any licence to alter which may have been granted in the past.

It would take a very brave and foolhardy Council to try to take our football ground from us though, wouldn't it. I'm struggling to imagine a peacetime scenario in which they would.
Buy the stadium back on 13:31 - May 3 with 3371 viewsLord_Lucan

Buy the stadium back on 13:15 - May 3 by Vegtablue

It would take a very brave and foolhardy Council to try to take our football ground from us though, wouldn't it. I'm struggling to imagine a peacetime scenario in which they would.

Theres's some kind of planning order slapped on it saying it can’t be redeveloped and has to be a sports type thing - or something or other

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Buy the stadium back on 13:37 - May 3 with 3326 viewsketton_itfc

Buy the stadium back on 13:31 - May 3 by Lord_Lucan

Theres's some kind of planning order slapped on it saying it can’t be redeveloped and has to be a sports type thing - or something or other

Yes I always remember my old fella saying there was a covenant on the land that it can only be used for sporting activities.
Buy the stadium back on 13:59 - May 3 with 3228 viewsstonojnr

Buy the stadium back on 12:19 - May 3 by PrideOfTheEast

what dire days were those then?

the days before we could endlessly microanalyse everything, those really were the days, I call them pre-twtd ;)
Buy the stadium back on 14:06 - May 3 with 3161 viewsMattinLondon

Buy the stadium back on 12:10 - May 3 by Cheltenham_Blue

The council don't own the stadium. And we've never sold the stadium or the ground to them.
They own the land the stadium sits on, and always have done.

Also, haven’t we got some kind of 100,000 year lease as well?
Buy the stadium back on 14:16 - May 3 with 3101 viewsitfcsuth

Land is always desirable for new buyers of clubs, but it's not as important as if the club was located in London for example where land is at such a premium.

We are on a 125 year lease currently until 2094 I think, and our next rent review is 2025 I believe - which may coincide with when we looking at structural redevelopment at PR depending on the outcome of that review.
Buy the stadium back on 14:19 - May 3 with 3078 viewsGeoffSentence

Buy the stadium back on 13:31 - May 3 by Lord_Lucan

you mean it's status as an asset of community value?

I have a feeling that has expired.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Buy the stadium back on 14:20 - May 3 with 3062 viewsMedwayTractor

Crikey, didn't think I'd ever see the '54 Act quoted on here!

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Buy the stadium back on 14:26 - May 3 with 3020 viewsGuthrum

Buy the stadium back on 14:19 - May 3 by GeoffSentence

you mean it's status as an asset of community value?

I have a feeling that has expired.

What about covenants from when the council acquired the land in the first place?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Buy the stadium back on 14:27 - May 3 with 3018 viewsbournemouthblue

Buy the stadium back on 13:37 - May 3 by ketton_itfc

Yes I always remember my old fella saying there was a covenant on the land that it can only be used for sporting activities.

Fairly sure that is the case, it's had football and I think Cricket on it in the earlier years?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Buy the stadium back on 14:36 - May 3 with 2968 viewsHighwoodsBlue

Buy the stadium back on 14:27 - May 3 by bournemouthblue

Fairly sure that is the case, it's had football and I think Cricket on it in the earlier years?

And whippet racing for a while in the 1920s!
Buy the stadium back on 14:37 - May 3 with 2959 viewsNthQldITFC

Buy the stadium back on 14:20 - May 3 by MedwayTractor

Crikey, didn't think I'd ever see the '54 Act quoted on here!

It's always been one of my favourites.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Buy the stadium back on 16:13 - May 3 with 2753 viewsbluelagos

Buy the stadium back on 13:37 - May 3 by ketton_itfc

Someone should have told the 3 Pauls.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Buy the stadium back on 16:20 - May 3 with 2710 viewsfarkenhell

I don't want to sound contrary, but on what grounds do you think the Council would be entitled to terminate the lease (whether under the '54 Act or otherwise)? Essentially, if the club don't default on its terms, there aren't any grounds that would apply.
Buy the stadium back on 16:21 - May 3 with 2707 viewsfarkenhell

Buy the stadium back on 16:13 - May 3 by bluelagos

POTD!
Buy the stadium back on 21:45 - May 3 with 2354 viewsNthsuffolkblue

One of them heard about the whippet racing and signed Kayden Jackson!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Buy the stadium back on 08:32 - May 4 with 1945 viewsGeoffSentence

which Paul are you not including?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024