Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favouite Ground in the 92? 14:05 - Apr 27 with 4131 viewsyorkshireblue

Having a chat with a guy in the office working on the 92, and he said that the best grounds are generally either older ones with character - or the brand new ones at the top of the Prem. All personal prefernce of course, but I can see that. I much prefer places like Barnsley and the two Sheffield Clubs to Hull, Derby and Bolton. I went to the Burnley game having not been there for a while and I like what they have done - modernised it, but managed to still keep it Turf Moor (wouldn't be hard mind.... last time I was there we had wooden seats).

My mate is desperate to get to Goodison before Everton move as that's one of the handful he has left. He's actually done over 92 grounds but some are no longer in the football league.

So, what is your favouite ground in England? Outside of Portman Road obviously.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:08 - Apr 27 with 2714 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Everton would be up there. Always like going to the 2x sheffield clubs. Villa decent too.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:10 - Apr 27 with 2701 viewsblueasfook

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:08 - Apr 27 by PrideOfTheEast

Everton would be up there. Always like going to the 2x sheffield clubs. Villa decent too.

Anfield is pretty special. When the kop is in full voice singing YNWA.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:11 - Apr 27 with 2687 viewsArnieM

Anfield

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:13 - Apr 27 with 2674 viewsChurchman

Tottenham Hotspur’s ground is amazing. The best I’ve been to by a distance. Shame it’s located in a sh£theap of an area.

Of the traditional grounds, many on here are much more qualified than me, but I really love Carrow Road…..ONLY JOKING! Of the tradition grounds, I always liked Villa Park, though it’s changed a lot since I last went. Of the smaller ones, Fulham.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 14:14]
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:19 - Apr 27 with 2636 viewsTractorCam

Yes I want to do Goodison so praying they get relegated. Wandered around outside last month and you can see the history there, will be a shame to lose it.

My favourite is Portman Road, no particular reason...
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 14:22]

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:20 - Apr 27 with 2619 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Villa Park 100%

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:30 - Apr 27 with 2568 viewsPlums

Probably Tranmere. It's quirky, the locals are friendly and there are decent pubs nearby - although any old ground that's not on a retail park is going to score highly for me.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:33 - Apr 27 with 2550 viewsPlums

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:10 - Apr 27 by blueasfook

They only sing when they're winning!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Login to get fewer ads

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:34 - Apr 27 with 2547 viewsTractorCam

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:10 - Apr 27 by blueasfook

That's only before the game though isn't it?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:40 - Apr 27 with 2519 viewshype313

I love Craven Cottage for the whole days experience.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:44 - Apr 27 with 2494 viewsblueasfook

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:34 - Apr 27 by TractorCam

That's only before the game though isn't it?

Yeah. They also do a thing where the different stands join in singing "Oh when the reds go marching in". the kop stand sings "oh when the reds..." and then the other stands sing "Oh when the reds...", and then they all join in together to sing "Oh when the reds go marching in" it's pretty cool to see.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 14:45]

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:47 - Apr 27 with 2486 viewsBramidan

Oxford, it reminds me of how fortunate we are to have a ground with proper stands and because it is leased from Ipswich Borough, no greedy bast… owner has had the opportunity to flog it and move us out on the periphery of the town.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:47 - Apr 27 with 2492 viewsxrayspecs

I completed the then 92 a few years ago but now have five new grounds to visit of the current top four divisions.

Spurs is the most impressive, it really is superb.

I would also go with the older stadiums.
I like Bristol Rovers for its old school higgledy piggledy charm.
Fulham is up there, and Charlton to a lesser extent.

Derby is one of the new mid sized bowls that work for me and MKDons would if they had some fans.

The worst by a country mile is Stoke, a soulless bowl in a wind tunnel. I watched them play Watford in one of the worst games I have ever seen, and left at half time. It finished 0-0.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 14:48]
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:47 - Apr 27 with 2484 viewsBlueBadger

Can't believe no-one here has gone for the Madejski as their fave.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:50 - Apr 27 with 2474 viewshomer_123

Depends.

Spurs new ground is pretty awesome.

Fratton Park, Anfield and...oddly.....Leyton Orients ground I all really like.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:51 - Apr 27 with 2468 viewsIllinoisblue

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:08 - Apr 27 by PrideOfTheEast

Everton is a dump, the away section is cramped. But, goodison has character.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:13 - Apr 27 with 2377 viewsFreddies_Ears

Having done the 92, all have their plus points. Well, most....

Of the big, newer stadia, Tottenham is the best by far, right down to having its own brewery inside the ground.

Otherwise, I always enjoy going to Crewe, but perhaps my favourite older ground might be Exeter.

The most avoidable would include Reading, Oxford, Luton, Stoke & Walsall.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:29 - Apr 27 with 2307 viewshoppy

I've only been to the Tottenham Stadium once, and that was for a rugby match a month or so ago. I've not been there for the football as yet, so having a beer in the seat, mixed in with fans from both sides didn't give me the full effect, but the ground is a thing of beauty... the superstore, the brewery and the relatively short queues to get served despite the numbers in the ground was very impressive.

Some of the other notable ones I've enjoyed for various reasons are The Dell, the Manor Ground for their quirkiness, the old Brentford ground with a pub on every corner, Walsall was enjoyable for a Tuesday night, with a lovely hat-trick thrown in to enjoy. Fulham has always been good and probably many others I've forgotten.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:35 - Apr 27 with 2268 viewsSwansea_Blue

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 14:47 - Apr 27 by xrayspecs

I completed the then 92 a few years ago but now have five new grounds to visit of the current top four divisions.

Spurs is the most impressive, it really is superb.

I would also go with the older stadiums.
I like Bristol Rovers for its old school higgledy piggledy charm.
Fulham is up there, and Charlton to a lesser extent.

Derby is one of the new mid sized bowls that work for me and MKDons would if they had some fans.

The worst by a country mile is Stoke, a soulless bowl in a wind tunnel. I watched them play Watford in one of the worst games I have ever seen, and left at half time. It finished 0-0.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 14:48]

Stoke really is grim. I always thought the cages around the kiosks completed the look quite appropriately. (I’ve seen an awful Stoke v Watford match there - could have been the same one).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:44 - Apr 27 with 2229 viewsbrazil1982

I'm going on a tour of Goodison next month as I have never been, and it will be gone soon.

I love Hillsborough, and Loftus Road which is so compact and close to the pitch. It's great going to a "traditional" ground surrounded by houses too, such as Oakwell and Deepdale.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:46 - Apr 27 with 2218 viewsclive_baker

Main criteria for me are:

- Character, none of this flat-pack nonsense. Doesn't have to be old, just characterful. Everton's new one looks lovely. As is Spurs.

- Proximity to train or tube station.

- Walking distance to Pubs, residential, town / city centre etc. Ideal if its a nice place.

If it meets that criteria you can't go far wrong. Favourites on that basis would be Craven Cottage, Stamford Bridge, SJP, Hillsbrough, Loftus Road. Portman Road must be a great away day.

Colchester has to be very near the bottom in the football league. Absolutely dire set up.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:47 - Apr 27 with 2213 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Used to enjoy our visits to Filbert Street. Proper old school ground. See also Baseball Ground.
Get why they were replaced by modern stadiums but as a young un, had some good memories following Towen back then.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 15:48]

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:47 - Apr 27 with 2208 viewsyorkshireblue

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:35 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

Stoke really is grim. I always thought the cages around the kiosks completed the look quite appropriately. (I’ve seen an awful Stoke v Watford match there - could have been the same one).

I think Stoke is the coldest I've ever been at a football match - just so windy..

Was also there on a Tuesday night to watch us blow a lead - twice - to lose 3-2 conceeding in the 85th minuite.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:53 - Apr 27 with 2126 viewskeighleyblue

Newcastle for sheer scale, location in the centre of the city, and sense of history. Facilities, I've always enjoyed Pride Park.

Got to agree with the OP, Burnley is pretty hard to beat, especially with the Premier money they've spent - still Hovis on the walk up to the ground, but state of the art neon everywhere inside. Plus, they have an adjacent cricket pitch which for summer games is amazing - have a decent beer or two from the cricket stand bar, then take a seat to watch the cricket before 5 min walk to watch the footy. Shame they've gone up really.
Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:54 - Apr 27 with 2118 viewsHighgateBlue

Favouite Ground in the 92? on 15:13 - Apr 27 by Freddies_Ears

Having done the 92, all have their plus points. Well, most....

Of the big, newer stadia, Tottenham is the best by far, right down to having its own brewery inside the ground.

Otherwise, I always enjoy going to Crewe, but perhaps my favourite older ground might be Exeter.

The most avoidable would include Reading, Oxford, Luton, Stoke & Walsall.

I think Luton divides opinion. If they got rid of it, they might end up with something like Reading. At least Luton's ground has huge amounts of character, even if it doesn't have a lot else going for it. I wouldn't want to go there 20+ times a season, I know that much.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024