Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Old Firm 09:42 - Apr 9 with 1778 viewswoodbridge_blue

Watched the Celtic v Rangers game yesterday lunchtime. I know they play each other four times every season (six this season) and it's not the most competitive league, but I always thoroughly enjoy the Old Firm games, even without away supporters.

Just wondering where we all think Celtic and Rangers would finish if they played in England. I could see them at least mid table in the Premiership, possibly challenging for Europe.

Surely they are at least as good as Fulham and Brentford?
The Old Firm on 09:56 - Apr 9 with 1693 viewsclive_baker

It’s hard to say but I don’t think so, I think they’re 2 championship sides and certainly way behind Brentford and Fulham. They have vociferous home support but when you look at the players with experience in the English league I don’t think any are premier league players now. Hart, Carter-Vickers, Cantwell etc. All Championship players. When you see Liverpool slap Rangers 0-7 at Ibrox in the CL you can’t help but think they would more than struggle in the Premier League.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 9:57]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Old Firm on 09:59 - Apr 9 with 1661 viewsMattinLondon

If both of them were to have been parachuted into the PL at the start of this season, then both teams will be struggling badly.

However, even if both were relegated, in the long term, both teams (especially Celtic) will probably blow most teams out of the water. Celtic, what with their global fan base will attract a lot of investment- I’d imagine the same with Rangers.

Currently both teams carry too much baggage in terms of sectarian hatred and crowd trouble for them to be admitted to the English league pyramid.
The Old Firm on 10:00 - Apr 9 with 1652 viewschicoazul

They’d struggle in the Championship initially. After a while they would start to attract better players and become strong mid table Prem teams. But a big no thanks to the ancient sectarianism drunkenness thuggery drug abuse and violence though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Old Firm on 10:02 - Apr 9 with 1634 viewsBlueBadger

If they started the season in the EPL I suspect they'd probably finish it in the Championship.

Lest we forget, Matt Penney, currently unable to get a game for Charlton was a a regular starter for Mtherwell this season

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Old Firm on 10:03 - Apr 9 with 1620 viewsBlueBadger

The Old Firm on 09:56 - Apr 9 by clive_baker

It’s hard to say but I don’t think so, I think they’re 2 championship sides and certainly way behind Brentford and Fulham. They have vociferous home support but when you look at the players with experience in the English league I don’t think any are premier league players now. Hart, Carter-Vickers, Cantwell etc. All Championship players. When you see Liverpool slap Rangers 0-7 at Ibrox in the CL you can’t help but think they would more than struggle in the Premier League.

As I've said above, Matt Penney was a regular starter in the Scottish Pram this season. He's not getting a look in at Charlton.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

The Old Firm on 10:04 - Apr 9 with 1623 viewsChrisd

When you look at their players, you'd probably say a bottom half EPL side to a top Championship team ala Burnley. Both their showings in the Champions League this season showed their level of calibre. Over a combination of 12 group games they picked up 2 draws. Speaks volumes. Having said all that, I still enjoy watching those Old Firm games too.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 10:05]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The Old Firm on 10:23 - Apr 9 with 1542 viewsclive_baker

The Old Firm on 09:59 - Apr 9 by MattinLondon

If both of them were to have been parachuted into the PL at the start of this season, then both teams will be struggling badly.

However, even if both were relegated, in the long term, both teams (especially Celtic) will probably blow most teams out of the water. Celtic, what with their global fan base will attract a lot of investment- I’d imagine the same with Rangers.

Currently both teams carry too much baggage in terms of sectarian hatred and crowd trouble for them to be admitted to the English league pyramid.

That’s a very valid point. I’m probably too guilty of thinking about where their current side would sit, rather than where they could feasibly be after some investment and a few transfer windows. They’ve got big grounds, would have sizeable crowds and I would’ve thought there was as much or more pull to go up to Glasgow and earn £50k a week as, say, Wolves.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Old Firm on 10:28 - Apr 9 with 1509 viewswoodbridge_blue

Fair point with regards to some of their players, for instance I can't see Hart ever getting regular Premier League action again, but there is some real quality in that Celtic side, with the likes of Kyogo, Johnston, Jota and Hatete surely all capable of holding down a place in a top half Premier side?
Login to get fewer ads

The Old Firm on 10:30 - Apr 9 with 1494 viewsJ2BLUE

They would take some time to adjust but soon be challenging at the top of the Prem once they had a few years of the money.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Old Firm on 10:48 - Apr 9 with 1445 viewsbournemouthblue

Lower mid-table to start with but could gradually build and become a top 7 side, I'm sure

If the Old Firm were in the EPL, they would big a big pull for any player, who wouldn't want to play in front of their fans, they have massive support and are hugely passionate

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Old Firm on 10:52 - Apr 9 with 1415 viewsGlasgowBlue

Then again Rangers were recently in the Europa League champions final.

And you can get freak 7-0 results. Liverpool did the same to Man U earlier this season.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Old Firm on 10:55 - Apr 9 with 1389 viewsbournemouthblue

The reality though is that in the Premier League, they would attract better players

So it may take some adjustment and maybe even some yo-yoing but they'd gradual establish themselves, I have no doubt about that

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Old Firm on 10:56 - Apr 9 with 1377 viewsnoggin

The Old Firm on 10:00 - Apr 9 by chicoazul

They’d struggle in the Championship initially. After a while they would start to attract better players and become strong mid table Prem teams. But a big no thanks to the ancient sectarianism drunkenness thuggery drug abuse and violence though.

Drug abuse? You're obsessed.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

The Old Firm on 12:01 - Apr 9 with 1241 viewsDJR

Interesting how things have changed.

Celtic were European Cup winners in 1967, and beat the "great" Leeds team in both legs of the European Cup semi-final in 1970. And Rangers beat Leeds in both legs of Round 2 of the Champions League in 1992.

But since those times, Scotland doesn't seem to produce the quality of players that it once did, and the Premier League has become incredibly wealthy.

Incidentally, I have the autographs of the Celtic team of 1970 because my uncle was friends with and lived in the same town as Bobby Lennox, one of the Lisbon Lions.

Also interesting to note that all but two members of the 15 man Lisbon Lions squad were born within 10 miles of Celtic Park in Glasgow, the exceptions being Bobby Lennox, who was born 30 miles away in Saltcoats, and Tommy Gemmell, who was born in Motherwell 11 miles away.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2023 12:02]
The Old Firm on 12:20 - Apr 9 with 1202 viewsBigCommon

Over a full season, Id stock top Scottish teams, mid table Championship...
It's hard to gauge the gulf in one off European games between Scottish and English sides, imo....
But over a season of 46 games, with no real easy ones. Against teams that can compete "better"financially .I doubt either Celtic or Rangers would romp The Champiomsjip.....
Can't remember the last player to leave either of them, for a top ten Prem club.. And they both sign players from EFL, regularly.. Tom Laurence, for instance, ad an example.
The Old Firm on 13:10 - Apr 9 with 1126 viewsBlueBadger

The Old Firm on 10:56 - Apr 9 by noggin

Many edgelords want to model themselves on Hitchens. Sadly for Chico, he chose Peter.

The Old Firm on 13:32 - Apr 9 with 1083 viewsleitrimblue

The Old Firm on 10:56 - Apr 9 by noggin

The secret ingredient in Irn Bru...
The Old Firm on 14:08 - Apr 9 with 1024 viewstractordownsouth

With their teams as they are, they'd be in a relegation scrap but if they were given the Premier League money season after season both would challenge for Europe.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The Old Firm on 14:29 - Apr 9 with 961 viewsronnyd

Conner Goldston is at Rangers too. Was he close to signing for us a couple of years ago, or was it just gossip hype?
The Old Firm on 15:38 - Apr 9 with 858 viewsElephantintheRoom

Mid-table championship at best. The standard of Jocko football is appalling. Having said that the ‘atmosphere’ at old firm games was pretty impressive back in the 70s and 80s when the standard wax a bit higher and I went on a grand tour of Jocko grounds

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024