Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Opposition players getting “injured” 19:24 - Feb 13 with 2757 viewsExiled2Surrey

Interested in thoughts

There has been more than one instance this year when we were well on top, when an opposition player goes down, there is five to ten minutes of faffing around, the injured player gets up hobbles off, and then comes back on and sprints around as if they have just got on - meantime our momentum is completely gone.

It happened on Saturday immediately after the Connor Chaplin header from the corner on 60 minutes - I have just listened to the Wednesday commentary and even they were saying that he went down tactically so the team could regroup. Arguably that was a bigger factor than our subs in disrupting our flow.

So why didn’t we do that at 1-0 down? I don’t think I have ever seen a town player do that (certainly not in recent seasons)

Opposition players getting “injured” on 19:34 - Feb 13 with 2435 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This is cynical time wasting enabled by those who make the rules.

If a player needs treatment they should make their way off the pitch and receive treatment off the pitch while the game continues. There have been numerous cases this season of injured players coming onto the pitch having gone down off it in order to make sure they get the game stopped. If a player does this they should be booked for unsporting conduct and refused treatment on the pitch at all. If they can get on the pitch, they can get off it too!

Any player who needs the match to be stopped in order to receive treatment is clearly seriously hurt. They should be substituted and, if there are no substitutions left the team should be down a player.

Some refining of this would be necessary for goalkeepers and concussion protocols but the current system enables and encourages this time wasting and breaking up of momentum. We are also fairly poor at doing it ourselves. The player who has done it for us most effectively in recent years was Norwood. If the authorities are going to enable and encourage it, we are naïve to not do it when seeing out a game.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Opposition players getting “injured” on 20:53 - Feb 13 with 2329 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Opposition players getting “injured” on 19:34 - Feb 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

If a player needs treatment they should make their way off the pitch and receive treatment off the pitch while the game continues. There have been numerous cases this season of injured players coming onto the pitch having gone down off it in order to make sure they get the game stopped. If a player does this they should be booked for unsporting conduct and refused treatment on the pitch at all. If they can get on the pitch, they can get off it too!

Any player who needs the match to be stopped in order to receive treatment is clearly seriously hurt. They should be substituted and, if there are no substitutions left the team should be down a player.

Some refining of this would be necessary for goalkeepers and concussion protocols but the current system enables and encourages this time wasting and breaking up of momentum. We are also fairly poor at doing it ourselves. The player who has done it for us most effectively in recent years was Norwood. If the authorities are going to enable and encourage it, we are naïve to not do it when seeing out a game.

Whilst I agree with the general sentiment, you go too far. Sometimes a player may need treatment and if they happen to be on the field, but can't move, then play has to be stopped. However, if they are able to continue, there should be some form of penalty. Probably that they have to go off the field of play for 2 or 3 minutes, only being allowed back on by the fourth official after that time.

Poll: would you rather

Opposition players getting “injured” on 21:00 - Feb 13 with 2314 viewsSuffolktractor

Opposition players getting “injured” on 20:53 - Feb 13 by LegendofthePhoenix

Whilst I agree with the general sentiment, you go too far. Sometimes a player may need treatment and if they happen to be on the field, but can't move, then play has to be stopped. However, if they are able to continue, there should be some form of penalty. Probably that they have to go off the field of play for 2 or 3 minutes, only being allowed back on by the fourth official after that time.

Surely if a player goes down injured then players from that team shouldn’t be allowed to go over to their dugout for an in game team talk, which is exactly what Sheffield We’d did when under the cosh in second half on Saturday.
Opposition players getting “injured” on 21:39 - Feb 13 with 2235 viewsJon_456

Another case of wanting to change the rules to suit our situation.

If an opposition player put in a challenge that resulted in someone like Morsy needing treatment, I assume you’d be happy for the ref to force him off and us carry on with 10 players for the remainder of the game because we had no subs left, despite Morsy being fine to continue?
Opposition players getting “injured” on 22:00 - Feb 13 with 2195 viewsITFC_Forever

Happens regularly, especially when we are on top.

Wycombe (quelle surprise), were one of the most blatant… away at their place just before Christmas, Ainsworth said something to their captain, who went straight to their goalkeeper when he next had the ball. Goalkeeper promptly went down with cramp (after 60 minutes), and the rest of the team had a mother’s meeting on the touchline with their coaching staff.

Blatant cheating.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Opposition players getting “injured” on 22:52 - Feb 13 with 2107 viewsEdwardStone

I think a yellow for "Unsporting Behavior" is too lenient

I would have a Vet on stand-by. Any player who writhes about play acting would simply be put out of his misery with a simple injection of humane killer....like you would do with an elderly pet

That might put an end to the farcical fake injuries
Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:08 - Feb 14 with 1748 viewsExiled2Surrey

Opposition players getting “injured” on 22:52 - Feb 13 by EdwardStone

I think a yellow for "Unsporting Behavior" is too lenient

I would have a Vet on stand-by. Any player who writhes about play acting would simply be put out of his misery with a simple injection of humane killer....like you would do with an elderly pet

That might put an end to the farcical fake injuries

It is effectively the same as a time out in US sports - which I hate but do at least have the benefit of being the same for both sides.

Until the rules change - or guidance to refs changes - then we just need to play the system better. As NSB says, Norwood has been the only player to go down this route in recent years. I would love to rise above it but I can’t see any evidence of other teams following our clean living and wholesome example, and we just need to be more streetwise (where have we heard that before?)
Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:16 - Feb 14 with 1731 viewsitfcjoe

Opposition players getting “injured” on 21:00 - Feb 13 by Suffolktractor

Surely if a player goes down injured then players from that team shouldn’t be allowed to go over to their dugout for an in game team talk, which is exactly what Sheffield We’d did when under the cosh in second half on Saturday.

This is the issue, they get used as a time out which shouldn't be allowed - that is what needs to stop as you can't take risks with injuries even when we know they are faking it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:27 - Feb 14 with 1680 viewsxrayspecs

JD has done this. few time this season.
Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:27 - Feb 14 with 1680 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Opposition players getting “injured” on 21:39 - Feb 13 by Jon_456

Another case of wanting to change the rules to suit our situation.

If an opposition player put in a challenge that resulted in someone like Morsy needing treatment, I assume you’d be happy for the ref to force him off and us carry on with 10 players for the remainder of the game because we had no subs left, despite Morsy being fine to continue?

Pop your knickers back on love.

No one is talking about genuine injuries, but feigned injuries that happen 4 or 5 times a game, particularly when we are on top.

Stopping players from gathering around their technical area would be a start.
'Water stations' placed on the half way line on the opposite side from the dug outs would do it.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:39 - Feb 14 with 1646 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:27 - Feb 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

No one is talking about genuine injuries, but feigned injuries that happen 4 or 5 times a game, particularly when we are on top.

'Water stations' placed on the half way line on the opposite side from the dug outs would do it.

How do you differentiate between a genuine injury and a feigned one? You can't. So the way to fix this is to treat all injuries the same way - if the match stops and a trainer has to come on the pitch, the player then has to leave the fields for a fixed period, I've suggested 2 or 3 minutes. That would be enough of a penalty to prevent faked injuries almost all the time.

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:44 - Feb 14 with 1628 viewsitfcjoe

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:39 - Feb 14 by LegendofthePhoenix

How do you differentiate between a genuine injury and a feigned one? You can't. So the way to fix this is to treat all injuries the same way - if the match stops and a trainer has to come on the pitch, the player then has to leave the fields for a fixed period, I've suggested 2 or 3 minutes. That would be enough of a penalty to prevent faked injuries almost all the time.

But if a player is injured by a bad tackle then his team is punished rather than the opposition.

The clock should stop dead, and players shouldn't be allowed any off field coaching from management team - neutral areas for water bottles and they can have an on pitch meeting but nothing can be done to stop that

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:46 - Feb 14 with 1597 viewsStokieBlue

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:16 - Feb 14 by itfcjoe

This is the issue, they get used as a time out which shouldn't be allowed - that is what needs to stop as you can't take risks with injuries even when we know they are faking it

I think it was fair enough when it as 30C+ and players needed a water intake but it's ridiculous to use it as a water break and team talk at this time of year.

I can't remember the match but there was one where the CB spoke to the Keeper about something and then 2 minutes later the Keeper was laying on the floor with an injury - nobody had been near him.

It was the most obvious thing you could imagine but the ref just allowed it.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:47 - Feb 14 with 1569 viewsitfcjoe

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:46 - Feb 14 by StokieBlue

I think it was fair enough when it as 30C+ and players needed a water intake but it's ridiculous to use it as a water break and team talk at this time of year.

I can't remember the match but there was one where the CB spoke to the Keeper about something and then 2 minutes later the Keeper was laying on the floor with an injury - nobody had been near him.

It was the most obvious thing you could imagine but the ref just allowed it.

SB

It was Wycombe, but has happened numerous times - but what can the ref do to stop that within the rules? They aren't set up to allow the ref to do anything but let treatment happen.

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:48 - Feb 14 with 1566 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:44 - Feb 14 by itfcjoe

But if a player is injured by a bad tackle then his team is punished rather than the opposition.

The clock should stop dead, and players shouldn't be allowed any off field coaching from management team - neutral areas for water bottles and they can have an on pitch meeting but nothing can be done to stop that

That still allows teams to stop the momentum in a game with no penalty, so it wouldn't stop fake injuries. If there is a bad foul, then there is a sanction for that!

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:51 - Feb 14 with 1523 viewsStokieBlue

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:47 - Feb 14 by itfcjoe

It was Wycombe, but has happened numerous times - but what can the ref do to stop that within the rules? They aren't set up to allow the ref to do anything but let treatment happen.

Well I don't believe the keeper went off, they probably used the keeper as the ref never makes them go off.

He could have not waved him on for 30 seconds, teams wouldn't do it if there was no keeper for a while.

But in general you're right, the referees don't really have much leeway in what they can do here but it ruins the match in many cases by deliberately spoiling the flow.

SB

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:53 - Feb 14 with 1496 viewsgringoblue

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:16 - Feb 14 by itfcjoe

Yes, stopping the touchline gatherings is easier and less likely to have an unintended consequence. It is a fairly recent development as far as I can tell. Simply say that during a stoppage in play, any player cannot gather by a touchline and recieve instruction from coaching staff. If players want to do so while the ball is in play, that is their perogative. The 4th Official can manage that situation and inform the referree when yellow cards need to be issued to players and coaching staff.

Stopping players faking injuries or hamming them up for breathers / momentum breaks is much more difficult. Any changes there (such as keeping the game flowing while physios come on the pitch, a la rugby) would need proper trials to see what the impact is on player safety and the flow of the game.

I mean look at the rule change that allows goalkeepers to take a goal kick anywhere in the 6 yard box rather than the closest corner. In theory it was to speed up the game, which it does when the goalkeeper has an interest in starting the game quickly, but it is now abused by teams who want to slow the game down.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2023 8:57]
Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:55 - Feb 14 with 1476 viewsitfcjoe

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:51 - Feb 14 by StokieBlue

Well I don't believe the keeper went off, they probably used the keeper as the ref never makes them go off.

He could have not waved him on for 30 seconds, teams wouldn't do it if there was no keeper for a while.

But in general you're right, the referees don't really have much leeway in what they can do here but it ruins the match in many cases by deliberately spoiling the flow.

SB

This is why it is often the keeper that goes down, because they don't have to go off after treatment - so it is just pushing the rules where they can. But it would be ludicrous if a goal was scored when the keeper was off and in fact most teams probably wouldn't even dare shoot because the fall out would be insane.

I think there is very little that can be done to stop 'momentum' being stifled within the rules....I'd persoanlly say the clock should be stopped when physio comes on, when subs are made, when a goal is scored and for VAR; and that in any of those clock off stoppages players if they need a drink have to go to a neutral area away from staff for it to stop managers meetings.

None of these stop the momentum being stifled; but I'm at a loss to suggest what could do that without it being potentially dangerous or unfair

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:57 - Feb 14 with 1459 viewsStokieBlue

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:55 - Feb 14 by itfcjoe

This is why it is often the keeper that goes down, because they don't have to go off after treatment - so it is just pushing the rules where they can. But it would be ludicrous if a goal was scored when the keeper was off and in fact most teams probably wouldn't even dare shoot because the fall out would be insane.

I think there is very little that can be done to stop 'momentum' being stifled within the rules....I'd persoanlly say the clock should be stopped when physio comes on, when subs are made, when a goal is scored and for VAR; and that in any of those clock off stoppages players if they need a drink have to go to a neutral area away from staff for it to stop managers meetings.

None of these stop the momentum being stifled; but I'm at a loss to suggest what could do that without it being potentially dangerous or unfair

The clock stopping should definitely happen, even if it requires another dedicated timing official.

SB

Opposition players getting “injured” on 09:00 - Feb 14 with 1417 viewsJon_456

Opposition players getting “injured” on 08:27 - Feb 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

Great idea. And who then decides what’s a real injury and what isn’t?

Agree with players going to technical area but can’t seen them doing anything about that.
Opposition players getting “injured” on 09:00 - Feb 14 with 1410 viewsSaleAway

One of the biggest problems here, is that players are supposed to leave the pitch to be treated ( apart from goalkeepers). We are regularly seeing play stopped for 5 minutes, whilst a player is " treated" in situ. Players should be whacked on a stretcher, and taken off for treatment...

If you read the guidelines:
https://www.thefa.com/-/media/cfa/global/files/referees/treatment-of-injuries-gu

its clear that we need refs to be stronger on insisting that players leave the field for treatment.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Opposition players getting “injured” on 09:46 - Feb 14 with 1294 viewsVaughan8

Seems to be a new "tactic" to go down holding your head and the ref has to stop it for a head in jury.

Prime example was in SPurs v Man CIty game last weekend. Man CIit had a corner, Holberg (I think it was) went up for a header, it got headed out and then as soon as Man CIty were going to cross it again, he went down holding his head. The replay showed no1 was even near his head, it was more his shoulder if anything.

Not sure how to stop it though as the geniune ones do need attention quickly.
Opposition players getting “injured” on 09:51 - Feb 14 with 1274 viewsSwansea_Blue

Opposition players getting “injured” on 09:00 - Feb 14 by SaleAway

One of the biggest problems here, is that players are supposed to leave the pitch to be treated ( apart from goalkeepers). We are regularly seeing play stopped for 5 minutes, whilst a player is " treated" in situ. Players should be whacked on a stretcher, and taken off for treatment...

If you read the guidelines:
https://www.thefa.com/-/media/cfa/global/files/referees/treatment-of-injuries-gu

its clear that we need refs to be stronger on insisting that players leave the field for treatment.

Stuff the stretcher - we should use trebuchets to get them off the pitch quicker.

The game could address this issue if they wanted to, as it's well know that faking injuries it's a tactical ploy. Personally I call it out for what it is, cheating, and consider some form of penalty - but there counter to that would be difficulty in proving someone cheated I suppose.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Opposition players getting “injured” on 10:02 - Feb 14 with 1247 viewsSaleAway

Opposition players getting “injured” on 09:46 - Feb 14 by Vaughan8

Seems to be a new "tactic" to go down holding your head and the ref has to stop it for a head in jury.

Prime example was in SPurs v Man CIty game last weekend. Man CIit had a corner, Holberg (I think it was) went up for a header, it got headed out and then as soon as Man CIty were going to cross it again, he went down holding his head. The replay showed no1 was even near his head, it was more his shoulder if anything.

Not sure how to stop it though as the geniune ones do need attention quickly.

Its simple.... every match is re-watched by a cheating commisioner. Anyone found to have faked a head injury - automatic one match ban. Same for diving. It would stop almost immediately. It just needs the will to stamp it out.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Opposition players getting “injured” on 12:32 - Feb 14 with 1092 viewsExiled2Surrey

Opposition players getting “injured” on 10:02 - Feb 14 by SaleAway

Its simple.... every match is re-watched by a cheating commisioner. Anyone found to have faked a head injury - automatic one match ban. Same for diving. It would stop almost immediately. It just needs the will to stamp it out.

And that is the key point - do the authorities care enough? They don’t seem to care about real head injuries so why would they care about feigned head injuries? If Vaulks on Saturday had to be brought off for 10 minutes for an HIA, even if he had a temp sub on the pitch, do you think he would have gone down in the manner that he did? No chance. Although I suppose he would have pretended to have a different ailment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024