Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... 21:56 - Jan 11 with 3031 viewsNthsuffolkblue

and our average attendance was 18,223.

The next season (still in the Premier League) it dipped to 16,382.

Two years after, finishing bottom of the Premier League, we averaged 16,818.

Our current attendances are very impressive really.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 22:03 - Jan 11 with 2927 viewsunstableblue

I think the 16,832 was due to stands being under construction?

It was impossible to get a ticket for Premier League games from memory.

Better to compare when PR was built to current scale in the Championship...

I agree the current attendances are remarkable

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 23:01 - Jan 11 with 2760 viewsClapham_Junction

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 22:03 - Jan 11 by unstableblue

I think the 16,832 was due to stands being under construction?

It was impossible to get a ticket for Premier League games from memory.

Better to compare when PR was built to current scale in the Championship...

I agree the current attendances are remarkable

I think you're confusing the early 90s (I think the 16,382 is 93/94) with 2001/02 (which is the season the stands were under construction)
30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 06:45 - Jan 12 with 2491 viewsPendejo

Have a look at average attendances 79-82, any attendance over 25,000 was likely to involve 4,000+ away fans.

Compare that to this season and impressive is an understatement.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 07:20 - Jan 12 with 2439 viewsLord_Lucan

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 06:45 - Jan 12 by Pendejo

Have a look at average attendances 79-82, any attendance over 25,000 was likely to involve 4,000+ away fans.

Compare that to this season and impressive is an understatement.

Our attendances are amazing currently.

Back in the day we only ever got close to 30,000 when we played Liverpool (Edit, I think we may have got close to 35,000 but memory fades). Norwich games used to peak at about 28,000 but they used to bring few fans, straight up. We used to take 5,000 to 8,000 to Norwich filling Barclays and what was then the South stand corner. Norwich would bring about 1,500 to PR.

London clubs would generally fill two sections of the North stand and Arsenal games were always up there with Liverpool but West Ham for some reason never brought many up, usually one section of the NS.

Mind you - gotta say, I don't really believe those attendance figures from years ago, there must have been a big undeclared amount of people due to tax or VAT reasons, no way were those figures correct back then. I mean, on some occasions you quite literally couldn't move and then they would say the attendance was 25,000 - no way!

The 38,010 against Leeds - rubbish, more like 45,000 IMHO. Never seen nothing like it - I was in the Leeds section with my Leeds supporting uncle.

Absolute bonkers!
[Post edited 12 Jan 2023 7:23]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 07:58 - Jan 12 with 2325 viewsElephantintheRoom

I think you have to treat the attendance figures back then - and for decades previously with a large dose of salt as the packed stands were often accompanied by startlingly low attendances. The boot has been on the other foot in recent seasons with empty seats declared as attendance because of season ticket sales. But yes the enthusiasm for buying success at a club which has prided itself on growth from within is quite remarkable.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 08:40 - Jan 12 with 2229 viewsChurchman

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 07:20 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

Back in the day we only ever got close to 30,000 when we played Liverpool (Edit, I think we may have got close to 35,000 but memory fades). Norwich games used to peak at about 28,000 but they used to bring few fans, straight up. We used to take 5,000 to 8,000 to Norwich filling Barclays and what was then the South stand corner. Norwich would bring about 1,500 to PR.

London clubs would generally fill two sections of the North stand and Arsenal games were always up there with Liverpool but West Ham for some reason never brought many up, usually one section of the NS.

Mind you - gotta say, I don't really believe those attendance figures from years ago, there must have been a big undeclared amount of people due to tax or VAT reasons, no way were those figures correct back then. I mean, on some occasions you quite literally couldn't move and then they would say the attendance was 25,000 - no way!

The 38,010 against Leeds - rubbish, more like 45,000 IMHO. Never seen nothing like it - I was in the Leeds section with my Leeds supporting uncle.

Absolute bonkers!

We got to around the 35000 on a few occasions in the 70s. Man U, Liverpool, maybe Arsenal. The game I allude to in another thread about sitting with away fans Aston Villa in 1975 5th Round, the gate was over 32000.

As for the Leeds game, I was towards the back of the standing area in the ‘new’ east stand. As a teenager I saw zippo of the the game. It was absolutely rammed and it wouldn’t surprise me if the crowd wasn’t greater than 38000.

In the first Premier season in 92, PR was actually the first all seater ground and the capacity much reduced from the last game of the previous season of 26000. But on many occasions, including the first game of the season against Villa, the gate fell well short of the 22000 max.

Our attendances at the moment are extraordinary.
30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 08:48 - Jan 12 with 2194 viewsLord_Lucan

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 08:40 - Jan 12 by Churchman

We got to around the 35000 on a few occasions in the 70s. Man U, Liverpool, maybe Arsenal. The game I allude to in another thread about sitting with away fans Aston Villa in 1975 5th Round, the gate was over 32000.

As for the Leeds game, I was towards the back of the standing area in the ‘new’ east stand. As a teenager I saw zippo of the the game. It was absolutely rammed and it wouldn’t surprise me if the crowd wasn’t greater than 38000.

In the first Premier season in 92, PR was actually the first all seater ground and the capacity much reduced from the last game of the previous season of 26000. But on many occasions, including the first game of the season against Villa, the gate fell well short of the 22000 max.

Because I am am an old vindictive individual I have never grown out of hating Norwich but I have to say, when they went down to 3rd division their crowds were equally impressive from memory.

Now though - and as I write I am in enemy territory, the feeling up here towards their football club is well toxic.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 08:55 - Jan 12 with 2186 viewsle2blue

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 08:40 - Jan 12 by Churchman

Ah, those were the days...standing by the fence in the north at the back and being literally swept off your feet when we scored and ending up anywhere, people being passed over your head down to st johns ambulance at the front cause they'd passed out, sitting on the pitch behind the goal because the stand was full and of course, it stinking of piss at the front as everyone at the back had relieved themselves.

Never see times like that again, probably just as well!
Login to get fewer ads

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 09:08 - Jan 12 with 2089 viewsbobbyramsey

These yanks know how to fill a stadium......
30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 09:08 - Jan 12 with 2090 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

For some of these older numbers population may Allah be a factor. About 20k less people in the town in 1971.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 09:20 - Jan 12 with 2048 viewsDJR

Absolute bonkers!

I agree about absolute bonkers. I was in the Ipswich section of the North Stand, the crush was awful and I saw at least one of the metal barriers broken by the force of the crowd. At half-time, people were allowed to walk along the touchline to the Churchmans where the crush wasn't so bad, and this what me and a few mates did.
30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 09:20 - Jan 12 with 2045 viewswaveneyblue

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 07:58 - Jan 12 by ElephantintheRoom

I think you have to treat the attendance figures back then - and for decades previously with a large dose of salt as the packed stands were often accompanied by startlingly low attendances. The boot has been on the other foot in recent seasons with empty seats declared as attendance because of season ticket sales. But yes the enthusiasm for buying success at a club which has prided itself on growth from within is quite remarkable.

Why do you bother to support Ipswich if it gives you so little pleasure ?

Surely you could obtain your misery elsewhere ?
30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 09:32 - Jan 12 with 2002 viewsLord_Lucan

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 09:20 - Jan 12 by DJR

I agree about absolute bonkers. I was in the Ipswich section of the North Stand, the crush was awful and I saw at least one of the metal barriers broken by the force of the crowd. At half-time, people were allowed to walk along the touchline to the Churchmans where the crush wasn't so bad, and this what me and a few mates did.

It's amazing really that a Hillsborough type disaster didn't happen sooner. We are only a small club in comparison to others with regards to attendances but the likes of Liverpool, Man U were getting 60,000 plus every game and Spurs and Arsenal weren't that far behind.

I remember back in the 70's when I stood in the Churchmans and even in there the crowd surges were crazy, I used to be terrified to the point that I didn't want us to score. People were falling over and getting stood on - some of those scenes on TV from Anfield Kop were extraordinary. .

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 09:45 - Jan 12 with 1922 viewsCityBlue

People keep singing "its coming home" but looking at the last few years attendances I would say football has already come home.

I T I D

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 11:01 - Jan 12 with 1777 viewsBobbychase

Arguably Norwich's best-ever season (finished high enough to qualify for Europe) and they had a lower average than us. I always have that in the back of my mind when the attendance debate between the two clubs comes up

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 11:05 - Jan 12 with 1768 viewsITFC_Forever

We were regularly getting 25k plus for a few years after relegation in 2002 when Royle was getting us in the POs.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 14:22 - Jan 12 with 1448 viewsRadlett_blue

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 09:32 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

It's amazing really that a Hillsborough type disaster didn't happen sooner. We are only a small club in comparison to others with regards to attendances but the likes of Liverpool, Man U were getting 60,000 plus every game and Spurs and Arsenal weren't that far behind.

I remember back in the 70's when I stood in the Churchmans and even in there the crowd surges were crazy, I used to be terrified to the point that I didn't want us to score. People were falling over and getting stood on - some of those scenes on TV from Anfield Kop were extraordinary. .

A Hillsborough type disaster was avoided largely because fans could usually escape a crush by getting onto the pitch. By the mid 1970s fans were segregated more, with part of one terrace usually becoming the "away pen". This made you safer during the game, but more vulnerable after the game as the hooligan element gathered near the away pen exit. Pitch side fencing was introduced at many grounds in response to the the increasing number of violent pitch invasions & this meant that fans couldn't easily escape a crush, unless the stewards or police quickly opened a safety gate.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

30 years ago we were in the Premier League ... on 20:40 - Jan 12 with 1227 viewsgazzer1999

Absolute bonkers!

Remember after the game seeing one of metal barriers bent right over. Couldn't get in the north that day, think Leeds filled it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024