Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Player-managers 14:26 - Dec 15 with 2738 viewsSharkey

I was reading Terry Butcher's wikipedia page, and was surprised how much I'd forgotten or never knew. (Pat Nevin's cousin! Subject of a million-pound bid from Man U while at Ilbrox). In particular, I was struck by the fact that he played almost a full season of games after re-registering as a player when managing Sunderland.

It got me wondering - who was the last player-manager in the top two divisions? It was common in the lower leagues until relatively recently I think, (and off the top of my head I can think of at least seven Colchester player-managers, including four with an ITFC background: Whitton, Atkins, Hunter, Burley).

Playing at a higher level, did Town ever come up against player-managers? If so, who was the most recent? (I'm guessing there are at least a couple I should remember - but I can't think of any.)

Player-managers on 14:33 - Dec 15 with 2392 viewsbluefunk

Not sure it’s the most recent but one of the most effective was Hoddle at Swindon, played centre back when they got promoted from the old second division , early 90s.
Player-managers on 14:36 - Dec 15 with 2371 viewsEwan_Oozami

Gullit at Chelsea?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Player-managers on 14:38 - Dec 15 with 2362 viewshomer_123

Player-managers on 14:33 - Dec 15 by bluefunk

Not sure it’s the most recent but one of the most effective was Hoddle at Swindon, played centre back when they got promoted from the old second division , early 90s.

I wondered if Di Canio played for Swindon as well whilst managing them?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Player-managers on 14:41 - Dec 15 with 2351 viewsoldburian

Player-managers on 14:38 - Dec 15 by homer_123

Bill McGarry was player/manager at Bournemouth, when he went to Watford they could not afford to sign him as a player. Then onto us with Sammy Chung.
Player-managers on 15:01 - Dec 15 with 2305 viewsGeoffSentence

Was Ryan Giggs the last one in the Premier League? Took over for a few games at the end of 2013/2014

From a Town perspective, were Paul Goddard and John Wark, then Tony Mowbray still playing when they had their caretaker stints?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Player-managers on 16:01 - Dec 15 with 2228 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Player-managers on 14:33 - Dec 15 by bluefunk

Hoddle was a god like player for Swindon at 2nd tier level, as evidenced by the fact that he played a full season in the top flght (and indeed as player-manager) for Chelsea after leaving them.

Was there when Swindon beat us 4-1 at home early in our promotion season. Having Hoddle as sweeper and Micky Hazard ahead of him in midfield was a dream combo for them and we could'nt live with them that night, despite not playing too badly if I recall.
Player-managers on 16:05 - Dec 15 with 2222 viewsPhilTWTD

I asked him about the Pat Nevin link and he says they're very, very, very distant cousins.

Wasn't Rooney player-manager for a bit?
Player-managers on 19:36 - Dec 15 with 2015 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bryan Laws, Grimsby, was one 👍

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Player-managers on 19:41 - Dec 15 with 2005 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Player-managers on 16:05 - Dec 15 by PhilTWTD

I asked him about the Pat Nevin link and he says they're very, very, very distant cousins.

Wasn't Rooney player-manager for a bit?

Rooney was my first thought...

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Player-managers on 19:47 - Dec 15 with 1974 viewsxrayspecs

Gary McAllister played against Town when Coventry player-manager. Ran the game and got a standing ovation when he subbed himself.
Player-managers on 21:14 - Dec 15 with 1856 viewsSwansea_Blue

I doubt he’d have had time around his KKK duties.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Player-managers on 21:18 - Dec 15 with 1848 viewsSwansea_Blue

Would we have encountered Gareth Ainsworth at QPR?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Player-managers on 21:41 - Dec 15 with 1814 viewsMelford

Player-managers on 16:01 - Dec 15 by burnbudgiesburn

Hoddle was a god like player for Swindon at 2nd tier level, as evidenced by the fact that he played a full season in the top flght (and indeed as player-manager) for Chelsea after leaving them.

Was there when Swindon beat us 4-1 at home early in our promotion season. Having Hoddle as sweeper and Micky Hazard ahead of him in midfield was a dream combo for them and we could'nt live with them that night, despite not playing too badly if I recall.

He was amazing that night, completely ran the game from sweeper. Pinging beautiful pinpoint passes all night.

One of the best individual performances I've seen in 36 years of going to PR.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Player-managers on 21:56 - Dec 15 with 1766 viewsExiled2Surrey

Dean Lewington - although he seems to have stopped playing due to injury
Player-managers on 22:06 - Dec 15 with 1741 viewsPhilTWTD

Player-managers on 21:41 - Dec 15 by Melford

He was amazing that night, completely ran the game from sweeper. Pinging beautiful pinpoint passes all night.

Hoddle was my favourite non-Town player growing up. Some of these goals are really exceptional, not least the proto-Celina effort against Watford at the end and the one just prior to that where he waltzes between two defenders who seem stunned into a statuesque stupour simply by his presence.

Player-managers on 22:14 - Dec 15 with 1729 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Player-managers on 22:06 - Dec 15 by PhilTWTD

Hoddle was my favourite non-Town player growing up. Some of these goals are really exceptional, not least the proto-Celina effort against Watford at the end and the one just prior to that where he waltzes between two defenders who seem stunned into a statuesque stupour simply by his presence.

" two defenders who seem stunned into a statuesque stupour simply by his presence."

So not unlike Gav and Mark when you stroll into TWTD Towers.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Player-managers on 22:15 - Dec 15 with 1720 viewsPhilTWTD

Player-managers on 22:14 - Dec 15 by You_Bloo_Right

" two defenders who seem stunned into a statuesque stupour simply by his presence."

So not unlike Gav and Mark when you stroll into TWTD Towers.

Quite.
Player-managers on 22:37 - Dec 15 with 1668 viewsChurchman

Player-managers on 16:01 - Dec 15 by burnbudgiesburn

I was there. Hoddle was light years the best player in the pitch. Oddly, I wasn’t downhearted. I had a feeling we were a good team. I think we played Southend the following Sat at home and won 1-0 to confirm my view.
Player-managers on 22:52 - Dec 15 with 1649 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

How about Edgar Davids at Barnet for a wacky one?

Was amazed when he signed for them!
Player-managers on 22:53 - Dec 15 with 1642 viewsMelford

Player-managers on 22:37 - Dec 15 by Churchman

I was there. Hoddle was light years the best player in the pitch. Oddly, I wasn’t downhearted. I had a feeling we were a good team. I think we played Southend the following Sat at home and won 1-0 to confirm my view.

Managing the team and getting them perfectly set up to what he wanted them to do based on his strengths as a player, he didn't have the legs to get up and down in midfield. Recognised his limitations as a player physically and moved to sweeper were he didn't have to run about much and people trying to kick him off the park but give the space and time to play these beautiful long passes to feet from 40 yards. They got promoted the year later.

Player-managers on 22:54 - Dec 15 with 1642 viewsPhilTWTD

Player-managers on 22:52 - Dec 15 by SuperKieranMcKenna

How about Edgar Davids at Barnet for a wacky one?

Was amazed when he signed for them!

Might well be the last player-manager to play against us, in a friendly in 2013.

Barnet 0-1 Town 20th Jul 2013 17:47
David McGoldrick’s first half goal was enough to give the Blues a 1-0 victory over Barnet in the first game at their new home, The Hive. Earlier, Scott Loach had saved a Mark Byrne penalty. 14

Player-managers on 22:58 - Dec 15 with 1616 viewsMelford

Player-managers on 22:06 - Dec 15 by PhilTWTD

Its a pity he lost the England manager's job in such a silly way. If he was given a proper run of a few years like Southgate has I reckon English football would have been a lot differently.

Player-managers on 03:41 - Dec 16 with 1466 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Not seen that since, and there I am in the lower cobbold near the North stand level with the penalty spot.

Feet up, laid back, arms stretched accross the seats with a whole row all to myself in the first of a few sub 10k crowds i'd imagine early that season.

The majority of those players performed adequately in the top flight for a couple of seasons. I completely forgot Brian Gayle even played for us in the promotion season.
Player-managers on 08:48 - Dec 16 with 1326 viewsSharkey

Who is the commentator here?
Player-managers on 09:56 - Dec 16 with 1276 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Nope.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024