Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… 15:52 - Apr 12 with 4875 viewsMattinLondon

…do you offer her your seat? For arguments sake, she doesn’t look pregnant or has any form of disability and she isn’t elderly.

I wouldn’t as I don’t see why someone who happens to be female should get preferential treatment. To be it’s just a form of sexism that states that women need special treatment and looking after.

The reason I ask is because a member of my team stated that they would expect a man should get-up for a woman - despite previously stating that both sexes should be treated equally.

Just wondered what your views were on this rather unimportant subject.
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 15:53 - Apr 12 with 2121 viewswkj

I would just look out the window and pretend to be vacant. Standard public transport protocol.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 15:54 - Apr 12 with 2112 viewsSitfcB

Na

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 15:55 - Apr 12 with 2090 viewsDarth_Koont

Seems oddly sexist and patronising. And certainly not what women are asking for more generally.

Pronouns: He/Him

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:01 - Apr 12 with 2046 viewsjeera

Years ago I would have, when it was the accepted and oft expected protocol.

Also at that age you take any opportunity you can to get talking to a female.

Now I don't think I could be bothered.

Pregnant yes, elderly yes. Woman with young child, yes.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:06 - Apr 12 with 2017 viewsjeera

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 15:55 - Apr 12 by Darth_Koont

Seems oddly sexist and patronising. And certainly not what women are asking for more generally.

But you would you open the car door on a date?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:07 - Apr 12 with 2015 viewsFtnfwest

Yes I would but clearly I'm a sexist s**t rather than just polite. Of course I could then be put into the horrendous position of her politely declining my offer. Sorry 'they'.
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:08 - Apr 12 with 2002 viewsMattinLondon

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:01 - Apr 12 by jeera

Years ago I would have, when it was the accepted and oft expected protocol.

Also at that age you take any opportunity you can to get talking to a female.

Now I don't think I could be bothered.

Pregnant yes, elderly yes. Woman with young child, yes.

Totally agree with your last two sentences - but I would also get-up for a bloke with a young child as well.
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:09 - Apr 12 with 1990 viewsjeera

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:07 - Apr 12 by Ftnfwest

Yes I would but clearly I'm a sexist s**t rather than just polite. Of course I could then be put into the horrendous position of her politely declining my offer. Sorry 'they'.

At least with a train or a bus one could them throw themselves in front of the thing at the next stop to save living with the humiliation of being rejected.

Login to get fewer ads

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:09 - Apr 12 with 1982 viewsclive_baker

For a woman? No, wouldn't even cross my mind. For a parent with young kids I would offer it to the parent or if the little un wants to sit down. but that would be regardless of if its a bloke or a woman.

Elderly, yes.
Pregnant, yes.

It's always a sticky one on the tube when you're not sure if someone is pregnant or just had a heavy Christmas under their coat.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:10 - Apr 12 with 1981 viewsMattinLondon

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:07 - Apr 12 by Ftnfwest

But why do you consider it polite to stand up for a visibly healthy and young(ish) woman but not a visibly healthy and young(ish) man?
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:10 - Apr 12 with 1975 viewsJ2BLUE

In the past yes. Now? Fook that, not going to risk the backlash. If anyone said anything I would tell them I have no idea what to do in an age where two similar people could be equally offended by the complete opposite.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:11 - Apr 12 with 1961 viewsjeera

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:08 - Apr 12 by MattinLondon

Totally agree with your last two sentences - but I would also get-up for a bloke with a young child as well.

Well yes ok, but to be fair that wasn't in the original question.

What about a man [or woman] with a cushion up their jumper?

Personally I'm not falling for that one again.

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:11 - Apr 12 with 1959 viewsclive_baker

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:06 - Apr 12 by jeera

I should've done that on my 2nd date with my now wife. I picked her up, we drove to wherever we were going, I park up next to a curb and she flinged the door open straight into a lamppost. Inside I was fuming, she was mortified and all I could say was 'don't worry about it, it's only a car'.

ONLY A P!SSING 6 MONTH OLD CAR!!!!

Can laugh about it now.

Edit: This is how angry I still am, I thought flinged was the past tense of fling.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2022 16:14]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:12 - Apr 12 with 1943 viewsmutters

No.

If she had a small child then I would offer as well.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Is it a date with.... on 16:13 - Apr 12 with 1921 viewsBloots

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:06 - Apr 12 by jeera

...a man or a woman?

Or neither?

Or both?

AKA - "Elite Pete"

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:14 - Apr 12 with 1926 viewsFtnfwest

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:10 - Apr 12 by MattinLondon

But why do you consider it polite to stand up for a visibly healthy and young(ish) woman but not a visibly healthy and young(ish) man?

Sorry didn't realise age description. I meant any age 'woman' and the older gents purely out of good manners. They can always tell me to 'f off' if I've upset them.
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:15 - Apr 12 with 1920 viewsfooters

There are occasionally some people, female or otherwise, who don't need a seat (ie pregnant/elderly/what have you) who will huff and puff, acting all indignant that you don't offer it up. In these situations it is even more gratifying to have my arse ache through numbness on my lovely, lovely seat.

Big city life, innit. Makes ya a brute.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:16 - Apr 12 with 1915 viewsjeera

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:11 - Apr 12 by clive_baker

I should've done that on my 2nd date with my now wife. I picked her up, we drove to wherever we were going, I park up next to a curb and she flinged the door open straight into a lamppost. Inside I was fuming, she was mortified and all I could say was 'don't worry about it, it's only a car'.

Can laugh about it now.

Edit: This is how angry I still am, I thought flinged was the past tense of fling.

Yeah that's a testing situation.

I remember picking up this lass I was mad about in my car and she put her feet up on my dashboard.

I kept looking over for the whole journey and it was really winding me up.

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:17 - Apr 12 with 1900 viewsJ2BLUE

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:16 - Apr 12 by jeera

Yeah that's a testing situation.

I remember picking up this lass I was mad about in my car and she put her feet up on my dashboard.

I kept looking over for the whole journey and it was really winding me up.

Similar situation where she wanted to smoke. I said no. She said i'll open the windows. I had no answer to that. She smoked. I seethed on the inside. Went nowhere.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:18 - Apr 12 with 1897 viewsmutters

Yes if it was convenient, i.e. I was on the same side as her. However, I wouldn't make a big deal about marching around the other side of the car declaring that she shouldn't touch the door as it's my job. Likewise with doors.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:19 - Apr 12 with 1885 viewsfooters

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:11 - Apr 12 by clive_baker

Can laugh about it now.

Start taking the odd pound from her purse on the sly to repay the damage.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:20 - Apr 12 with 1870 viewsSTYG

The etiquette should rightly be to offer it to anybody who needs it more.

An elderly person, someone with disabilities, a pregnant woman or a man or woman with their children.

For anybody else, then no. Why would you?

I used to be as chivalrous as they came and in my ideal world that could still be the case, but there's a genuine risk that for every 4 women that accepted the offer, another 1 would take offence, whilst none of them should rightly be offended if I continue to sit in the seat, so why take the chance of upsetting anyone?
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:21 - Apr 12 with 1851 viewsHullblue

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:09 - Apr 12 by clive_baker

For a woman? No, wouldn't even cross my mind. For a parent with young kids I would offer it to the parent or if the little un wants to sit down. but that would be regardless of if its a bloke or a woman.

Elderly, yes.
Pregnant, yes.

It's always a sticky one on the tube when you're not sure if someone is pregnant or just had a heavy Christmas under their coat.

If I'm not sure I just stand up and walk off now. Don't look back. Then it's up to them.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:22 - Apr 12 with 1839 viewsjeera

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:18 - Apr 12 by mutters

Yes if it was convenient, i.e. I was on the same side as her. However, I wouldn't make a big deal about marching around the other side of the car declaring that she shouldn't touch the door as it's my job. Likewise with doors.

This needs some context.

If you're driving, i.e. picking her/ him/ whatever preference, for a date chances are you're not going to be on the same side of the car.

So no, I didn't have in mind a Starsky and Hutch style roll across the thing to beat her to it and open the door in order to impress her.

I was thinking more that you've just left the restaurant and got back to the car.

I would walk to her side side first and open the door out of courtesy. That's still normal, right?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:24 - Apr 12 with 1825 viewsjeera

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:21 - Apr 12 by Hullblue

If I'm not sure I just stand up and walk off now. Don't look back. Then it's up to them.

That's when Footers sees his chance and grabs the seat.

Beating the pregnant woman and the old boy to it!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024