Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The argument is heating up on easing restrictions 23:10 - Feb 4 with 13115 viewsStokieBlue

So it looks like the Tory backbenchers and the Chancellor are applying pressure to try and get the government to bring forward the dates for considering easing the lockdown in England.

This is against the advice of SAGE who Sunak has stated are acting too conservatively. You also have Hunt coming out and saying lockdown should be continued until cases are to 1000 per day and Starmer saying we shouldn't open up too early like other times.

Then you have Chope on Newsnight saying that the 8th March should be "lockdown freedom day" when the public get their "liberties" back and other evidences showing that only 20% of people are following isolation orders.

The issue here is that if there are 20,000 cases a day, even if the R is low (say 0.6) then when you open up that is still a high baseline number of cases which can start growing exponentially again and it won't take long to get to high numbers. Counter to that, if you wait until cases are 5,000 per day it will take longer to reach higher cases and it will also allow more time for vaccinations before those cases reach a high level.

Interesting Chope refused to say what an acceptable number of cases were to open up, he said that isn't the point and that people should be able to exercise their freedom and even referred to the public as "prisoners" so that might give an indication where a number of Tory backbenchers are at the moment.

You also have Damien Green on Newsnight saying that this has to be the last lockdown for both economic and mental health reasons and in order for that to be the case we need come out in a cautious and pragmatic way due to the new variants.

So it seems there are two very solid blocks of opinion but very little agreement between the blocks.

What are peoples thoughts?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:12 - Feb 4 with 2495 viewsHerbivore

The majority of Tories are complete knobs. They seem to have learnt absolutely nothing from the numerous cock ups over the past year.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:14 - Feb 4 with 2486 viewstractordownsouth

Personally, I have very little time for Tory MPs that are suddenly pretending to champion mental health sufferers when they have spent the last 10 years voting to cut their services. I hate the term "virtue signalling", but it applies perfectly to this situation.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 23:14]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:17 - Feb 4 with 2462 viewsGlasgowBlue

I wouldn’t ease restrictions until three weeks after all over 60’s have been vaccinated.

I say this knowing that may well send me skint. But it will definitely send me skint if we ease restrictions too soon followed by another two to three month lockdown in the summer.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:18 - Feb 4 with 2452 viewsStokieBlue

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:12 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

The majority of Tories are complete knobs. They seem to have learnt absolutely nothing from the numerous cock ups over the past year.

Didn't know much about Chope but he came over awfully on Newsnight and looking at Wiki he seems like a rather odious individual:

- Tabled a bill to allow people to opt-out of the minimum wage
- Climate change denier
- Anti-same sex marriage
- Voted against companies being forced to declare a pay gap between men and women
- Supports the death penalty

Quite the rap sheet there.

SB

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:21 - Feb 4 with 2432 viewstractordownsouth

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:18 - Feb 4 by StokieBlue

Didn't know much about Chope but he came over awfully on Newsnight and looking at Wiki he seems like a rather odious individual:

- Climate change denier
- Anti-same sex marriage
- Voted against companies being forced to declare a pay gap between men and women

SB

In 2018, also voted against a bil that would have made it illegal to take a photo up someone's skirt.

As Frankie Boyle put it, if he was that desperate to see a picture of a c**t, he could have just taken a selfie.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 23:23]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:23 - Feb 4 with 2429 viewsGuthrum

Sunak is becoming frightened at the exposure of his own Department. Needs to start thinking more creatively about measures to take in the aftermath, which will free up more funds for now. Because he's going to need them. Possibly he's also scared of being thrown under the bus by his political rivals once this is all over.

Chope is just an @rse.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:23 - Feb 4 with 2420 viewsHerbivore

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:18 - Feb 4 by StokieBlue

- Climate change denier
- Anti-same sex marriage

SB

Was he the one who filibustered the bill looking to ban up-skirting as well or have I got him confused with someone else?

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:25 - Feb 4 with 2420 viewsStokieBlue

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:23 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

Was he the one who filibustered the bill looking to ban up-skirting as well or have I got him confused with someone else?

Yes, that was him, I'd forgotten about that, perhaps because it was so ridiculous.

SB
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 23:25]

Login to get fewer ads

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:28 - Feb 4 with 2409 viewsJ2BLUE

I agree this needs to be the last lockdown if at all possible and I think it is IF we go slowly. I have no desire to see restrictions lifted in one go on March 8th. What is the point? Why gamble and put everyone's sacrifice on the line?

If we are sensible we'll have a good summer, we'll have a normal Christmas etc. Why rush it?

I don't want to put a date on it but why not aim for Easter? Give us another month and drive the rate down further, let the weather get better, get people vaccinated. If we miss the Easter target then maybe target May Day. That would allow Muslims to celebrate Eid which was taken from them last year.

Lets just take it as slow as we can. The Bank of England have predicted the economy will recover quite quickly, although perhaps not this year. We have our boot on the throat of this virus at the moment (all bets are off if we get a bad mutation etc). There is zero reason to take it off just yet.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 23:29]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:30 - Feb 4 with 2387 viewsHerbivore

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:25 - Feb 4 by StokieBlue

Yes, that was him, I'd forgotten about that, perhaps because it was so ridiculous.

SB
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 23:25]

I mean, where do you even begin with that? And people actually voted for this arsehole.

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:31 - Feb 4 with 2383 views26_Paz

There should be no restrictions on liberty whatsoever once the over 70s and the clinically vulnerable have been vaccinated.

The Paz Man

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:32 - Feb 4 with 2376 viewsGlasgowBlue

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:28 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

I agree this needs to be the last lockdown if at all possible and I think it is IF we go slowly. I have no desire to see restrictions lifted in one go on March 8th. What is the point? Why gamble and put everyone's sacrifice on the line?

If we are sensible we'll have a good summer, we'll have a normal Christmas etc. Why rush it?

I don't want to put a date on it but why not aim for Easter? Give us another month and drive the rate down further, let the weather get better, get people vaccinated. If we miss the Easter target then maybe target May Day. That would allow Muslims to celebrate Eid which was taken from them last year.

Lets just take it as slow as we can. The Bank of England have predicted the economy will recover quite quickly, although perhaps not this year. We have our boot on the throat of this virus at the moment (all bets are off if we get a bad mutation etc). There is zero reason to take it off just yet.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 23:29]

Looks like Wales will be first to start reopening schools.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:33 - Feb 4 with 2371 viewsStokieBlue

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:30 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

I mean, where do you even begin with that? And people actually voted for this arsehole.

65% of the vote in the last election and a 47% majority.

SB

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:34 - Feb 4 with 2362 viewsJ2BLUE

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:31 - Feb 4 by 26_Paz

There should be no restrictions on liberty whatsoever once the over 70s and the clinically vulnerable have been vaccinated.

You're my age. I assume your parents are roughly the same age as mine. Are you willing to let them take the risk for a few more weeks of liberty? What is it you're so desperate to do? The blue for deaths on the graph they showed yesterday was still fairly high for over 50s. Why not wait another month or so and get them vaccinated?

Truly impaired.

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:35 - Feb 4 with 2353 viewsHerbivore

Bless. Nearly a year in and you still don't remotely understand any of this.

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:36 - Feb 4 with 2345 viewsHerbivore

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:33 - Feb 4 by StokieBlue

65% of the vote in the last election and a 47% majority.

SB

Think it's time we just set fire to the country and start from scratch.

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:36 - Feb 4 with 2345 views26_Paz

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:34 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

You're my age. I assume your parents are roughly the same age as mine. Are you willing to let them take the risk for a few more weeks of liberty? What is it you're so desperate to do? The blue for deaths on the graph they showed yesterday was still fairly high for over 50s. Why not wait another month or so and get them vaccinated?

I would be more than willing to take the risk. They’re both around 60 ... they’d be absolutely fine.

The Paz Man

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:38 - Feb 4 with 2339 viewsStokieBlue

None at all?

So pubs open and you drinking with your mates indoors. That's basically all you care about isn't it.

Currently ~50% of the people in hospital are under 70 with the age range of 50-70 being a concern. A total opening up would create a huge amount of cases which would mean a lot of people in hospital across all age-ranges and if the NHS can't cope then people of all age ranges will die if they can't get treated.

SB

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:39 - Feb 4 with 2322 viewsJ2BLUE

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:36 - Feb 4 by 26_Paz

I would be more than willing to take the risk. They’re both around 60 ... they’d be absolutely fine.

You don't know that. They would be at some risk. You can't wish it away. Even if your parents were fine and mine were fine what about people our age who would lose a parent or both for the sake of a few weeks? Look at that graph. The risk drops massively once you get below 50. Surely you could do one more month or so of this 'lockdown'?

Truly impaired.

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:41 - Feb 4 with 2309 views26_Paz

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:38 - Feb 4 by StokieBlue

None at all?

So pubs open and you drinking with your mates indoors. That's basically all you care about isn't it.

Currently ~50% of the people in hospital are under 70 with the age range of 50-70 being a concern. A total opening up would create a huge amount of cases which would mean a lot of people in hospital across all age-ranges and if the NHS can't cope then people of all age ranges will die if they can't get treated.

SB

You have wilfully ignored that I said over 70s plus the clinically vulnerable. The vast majority of those under 70 in hospital will fall into the clinically vulnerable category. The youth have paid too high a price already (for the record at 34 I do not count myself in that category)

The Paz Man

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:41 - Feb 4 with 2317 viewsJ2BLUE

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:38 - Feb 4 by StokieBlue

None at all?

SB

He doesn't seem that bothered by deaths so lets add that there would likely then be another lockdown.

Think of an extra few weeks on the end of the current one as an investment. Hopefully we'll never be locked down again after this.

Truly impaired.

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:44 - Feb 4 with 2295 views26_Paz

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:41 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

He doesn't seem that bothered by deaths so lets add that there would likely then be another lockdown.

Think of an extra few weeks on the end of the current one as an investment. Hopefully we'll never be locked down again after this.

As crude as this may sound I do not believe that a plus 80 person living another year or so is worth a year of a child’s education.

The Paz Man

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:45 - Feb 4 with 2290 viewsJ2BLUE

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:44 - Feb 4 by 26_Paz

As crude as this may sound I do not believe that a plus 80 person living another year or so is worth a year of a child’s education.

We were talking about 50 year olds, not 80 year olds. We were talking about people the age of our parents.

Would you feel differently if your nan had died? Again, i'm sorry to bring that up and I hope she's 100% better now.

Truly impaired.

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:45 - Feb 4 with 2288 viewsStokieBlue

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:41 - Feb 4 by 26_Paz

You have wilfully ignored that I said over 70s plus the clinically vulnerable. The vast majority of those under 70 in hospital will fall into the clinically vulnerable category. The youth have paid too high a price already (for the record at 34 I do not count myself in that category)

No I haven't, you seem to have wilfully misunderstood my point.

It's not true that the vast majority of under 70's fall into the clinically vulnerable - show me your evidence of this.

SB

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:47 - Feb 4 with 2279 viewsStokieBlue

The argument is heating up on easing restrictions on 23:44 - Feb 4 by 26_Paz

We aren't talking about a year of education though, we are talking about another month or two which isn't ideal but is probably preferable to having to have another lockdown with business and schools closed at some point which is the likely result of your "open everything" position.

Amazingly there could even be an intermediate position where we keep the pubs closed but allow children back to school. Given your concern for the kids that is surely the best way forward wouldn't you agree?

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024