Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy 12:04 - Aug 19 with 2639 viewsGlasgowBlue

For the governments of Europe to wake up to how desperate these poor people are, fleeing from war, violence and persecution?

Every government should be taking in their fair share of refugees. Whether it's a vote winner or not (and after years of migrant demonisation it isn't), it's the right thing to do.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:06 - Aug 19 with 2121 viewsLibero

Spoiler alert: No, once the news cycle passes nothing will have changed and they can go back to demonising them.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 12:10]
Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:13 - Aug 19 with 2087 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:06 - Aug 19 by Libero

Spoiler alert: No, once the news cycle passes nothing will have changed and they can go back to demonising them.

Sadly, you're not wrong. It's been five years since wee Alan Kurdi was found washed up on the Greek coast. We've learned nothing and have probably gone backwards in how we are attempting to resettle refugees.

At least Cameron had some good intentions and was shamed into putting measure in place but that seems like a lifetime ago.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:15 - Aug 19 with 2067 viewsSwansea_Blue

Certainly not here it's not. Our bunch of nationalistic c*nts depend on the hatred of foreigners they and their crony media moguls have stirred up in the British population. They took away the routes to safe passage knowing full well it would place refugees in more danger.

They can't be seen to care about this other than providing a few meaningless platitudes for 5 minutes, and only then IF a tragic event makes the news. The people in this Government have never cared about doing the right thing. And a scarily high proportion of the population are quite OK with that.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2020 12:29]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:16 - Aug 19 with 2068 viewsBlueBadger

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:06 - Aug 19 by Libero

Yep. The same people who, six weeks ago were saying 'all lives matter' and 'be kind' six months ago are now saying 'hang on, I have some exceptions'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:18 - Aug 19 with 2039 viewsKeno

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:16 - Aug 19 by BlueBadger

Yep. The same people who, six weeks ago were saying 'all lives matter' and 'be kind' six months ago are now saying 'hang on, I have some exceptions'.

while thinking back to how bravely they fought for all of the last 32 toilet rolls against the old lady in the "battle of Aldi Aisle 3"

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:19 - Aug 19 with 2032 viewsElderGrizzly

The fact she even has the temerity to tweet this is astonishing

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:20 - Aug 19 with 2025 viewsBlueBadger

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:18 - Aug 19 by Keno

while thinking back to how bravely they fought for all of the last 32 toilet rolls against the old lady in the "battle of Aldi Aisle 3"

I'm cashing in some of my claps next week and buying a new car.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:20 - Aug 19 with 2023 viewsLibero

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:13 - Aug 19 by GlasgowBlue

Sadly, you're not wrong. It's been five years since wee Alan Kurdi was found washed up on the Greek coast. We've learned nothing and have probably gone backwards in how we are attempting to resettle refugees.

At least Cameron had some good intentions and was shamed into putting measure in place but that seems like a lifetime ago.

That may be the case, but I can't bring myself to praise Cameron for anything, his actions in calling the referendum opened the door for the increased levels of xenophobia and racism that we live with today.
Login to get fewer ads

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:21 - Aug 19 with 2009 viewsKeno

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:20 - Aug 19 by BlueBadger

I'm cashing in some of my claps next week and buying a new car.

at least you wont have to pay to park at work now ....... oh ......... errrmmm ......

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:33 - Aug 19 with 1960 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:19 - Aug 19 by ElderGrizzly

She's evil incarnate. Yes there are issues with the gangs that need to be addressed, but you don't solve that by taking away safeguards designed to protect the welfare of LEGAL refugees.

Legal being the key word, as there is so much ignorance out there over the status of these people, their rights and any country's obligations. As summed up by this awful letter:

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:34 - Aug 19 with 1954 viewsElderGrizzly

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:33 - Aug 19 by Swansea_Blue

She's evil incarnate. Yes there are issues with the gangs that need to be addressed, but you don't solve that by taking away safeguards designed to protect the welfare of LEGAL refugees.

Legal being the key word, as there is so much ignorance out there over the status of these people, their rights and any country's obligations. As summed up by this awful letter:

And with Patel, there is no telling if she means stop the criminal gangs or the refugees themselves
Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:37 - Aug 19 with 1936 viewsDarth_Koont

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:19 - Aug 19 by ElderGrizzly

FFS

Decent people (which I reckon most people are deep down) would be focusing on the lives of refugees, migrants and the causes. Not on the incidentals.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:40 - Aug 19 with 1923 viewsunstableblue

So much wrong with this story...

- first off the UK takes a much smaller share of migrants than say France
- we had a much more aligned approach with France pre-Brexit that was safer
- Farage drove an immigration agenda for Brexit, when in fact it had nothing to do wit this type of migration, which he is now moving his agenda to
- the hideous right wing press has demonised these people, and I hear awful comments from people about how these people 'should strafed in their boats'
- Boris and Patel have used this crisis to demonise europe and distract from their incompetence
- the right wing press and joe public does not connect the war torn cluster f@ck that is the middle east with these desperate people, and that in the main they are families (many professionals and educated)
- the crisis and conflict that they are fleeing is in part directly related to our own foreign policies, and agendas directly promoted by our right wing press
- murdoch and farage are directly linked to this uninformed and belligerent UK attitude to migrants

its a national disgrace

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:42 - Aug 19 with 1900 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:40 - Aug 19 by unstableblue

So much wrong with this story...

- first off the UK takes a much smaller share of migrants than say France
- we had a much more aligned approach with France pre-Brexit that was safer
- Farage drove an immigration agenda for Brexit, when in fact it had nothing to do wit this type of migration, which he is now moving his agenda to
- the hideous right wing press has demonised these people, and I hear awful comments from people about how these people 'should strafed in their boats'
- Boris and Patel have used this crisis to demonise europe and distract from their incompetence
- the right wing press and joe public does not connect the war torn cluster f@ck that is the middle east with these desperate people, and that in the main they are families (many professionals and educated)
- the crisis and conflict that they are fleeing is in part directly related to our own foreign policies, and agendas directly promoted by our right wing press
- murdoch and farage are directly linked to this uninformed and belligerent UK attitude to migrants

its a national disgrace

Yep.

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:44 - Aug 19 with 1889 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:34 - Aug 19 by ElderGrizzly

And with Patel, there is no telling if she means stop the criminal gangs or the refugees themselves

That's a particular car crash of a letter. It's unadulterated xenophobia to appeal to the core Tory support. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm amazed that we've got these sorts of people of such limited understanding representing the people of the UK.

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:56 - Aug 19 with 1856 viewsThe_Major

Might be a good idea to switch the Internet off today.
Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:57 - Aug 19 with 1858 viewsKeno

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 13:09 - Aug 19 with 1822 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:57 - Aug 19 by Keno

Yep. The only good thing that can be said about us is that the number of refugees we took was up last year, even though we're still way below some other countries including France. The system is broken though, with huge delays and people treated badly whilst they are waiting, for many months often, for their asylum application to be heard.

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 13:19 - Aug 19 with 1788 viewsSwansea_Blue

I nearly said in my first rant on this thread that I bet there are even people celebrating this sad news, but thought no, that would be too crass and maybe people aren't that sick.

Well..

Here's hoping that a of those are posting from Russian troll farms.

Anyway, enough polarisation. RIP to the soul who lost his life last night for just trying to better his life. And here's hoping we can rediscover some humility and genuine generosity.

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 13:36 - Aug 19 with 1747 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:33 - Aug 19 by Swansea_Blue

The scariest sentence in that letter, for anybody who is a British citizen who thinks "It's all very sad and difficult, but it doesn't directly effect me..." is:

"This framework places undue power in the hands of unaccountable human rights lawyers who do not have our country's best interests at heart."

I am aware of Godwin's Law, and the tendency of many on the progressive side to cry "Fascist" a little too readily.

But that one line is straight from the Fascist playbook.

I'm going to deconstruct it:

"Undue power":

1. "UNDUE" A lie. Any "powers" being referred to are the result of international treaties which the UK freely signed up to as a Sovereign nation state, or of European Law made by MEPs including those elected freely by the UK population.
A rules based international order, which the UK was at the forefront in promoting.
2. "POWER". A lie. Lawyers don't have "Power" in the sense which is meant here, other than to act in the interests of their client, in pleading their case before a Judge under Law. This is an absolutely fundamental principle of British justice.

"Unaccountable human rights lawyers":

1. "UNACCOUNTABLE" A lie. All British Lawyers, whether Solicitors or Barristers are accountable to their respective regulatory authorities. They have to act within the Law, and within the framework of professional standards and ethics required by their regulatory authorities.

2. "HUMAN RIGHTS". Calling good bad. An attempt to use the phrase "Human Rights" with bad things, both the incorrect adjective "unaccountable" and the subsequent clause which implies treasonous behaviour for personal gain or motives, which I shall come to. See also "civil servant who ensure appropriate implementation of democratically decided laws and rules" being labelled "unelected bureaucrats in Brussels" or "democratically agreed rules which prevent dangerous and exploitative working practices" being labelled "Health and Safety gone mad".
The Human Rights in question are things like the right to family life, safety and dignity. Again, the UK was at the forefront of enshrining these standards in international law.

3. "LAWYERS". Demonisation of a particular group, in this case a group of people who have the skills and knowledge to ensure that the Government is held to account (see "unaccountable" above) and that their clients are treated in accordance with the Law and our nation's international obligations, which were freely entered into by our democratically elected Governments over preceeding years.

To attack and demonise those who, under the Law and their regulatory authorities' code of standards and ethics, are holding the Government to account, is to attempt to stifle such opposition, by turning public opinion against them (see "unelected bureaucrats in Brussels") and making it dangerous for individuals to carry out this task.

"Who do not have our country's best interests at heart"
1. A lie. Any understanding of "British Values" will reference the rule of law, and right to representation to ensure equal treatment under it. It is in our country's best interests that the law is upheld impartially, and that Justice is both served and seen to be done.

2. The framing of lawyers and judges who work to ensure that the law is upheld as traitors was seen during the Brexit process, particularly those who represented Gina Miller and the Judges involved in the case that she brought. The independence of the judiciary is foundational to British Justice, but also as a check and balance to Executive Government power, particularly as we do not have a written Constitution.

It takes a lot of words to unpack why this letter is Fascist. Most people will "tl:dr" it. That's how this works. Smear, throw mud, cast those who stand up to illegal Government actions as traitors. And whip up public anger against them as "enemies of the people" so that they are frightened away. The Fascist playbook.
Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 13:49 - Aug 19 with 1713 viewsmrshallisfit

Thing is - about 60% of people when asked in polls don't care about the plight of these refugees. The vast majority of them are from Syria. They are coming over because their lives are at risk. Not sure I like many millions of our general public.
Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 13:58 - Aug 19 with 1673 viewsitfcjoe

I saw the other day that the Greek took some from a detention centre and dumped them on a dinghy in the middle of the night. Shameful, as is Priti Patel and her tweet

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 14:03 - Aug 19 with 1662 viewsIllinoisblue

Meanwhile...

Sigh

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 14:12 - Aug 19 with 1633 viewsGeoffSentence

This is one of those things that is best handled at a supra-national level. So they can arrive at a safe country and have their asylum claim handled there regardless of where they would like to end up, so that they didn't have risk their lives on flimsy, waterlogged boats on the waters of the Channel.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 14:28 - Aug 19 with 1599 viewsGaryCooper

Is it going to take the tragic death of a teenage boy on 12:13 - Aug 19 by GlasgowBlue

Cameron? It is majorly his fekin fault, completely disrupted the status quo in North Africa when he bombed Libya and was part of the ousting of Gadaffi.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024