Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Incoming controversial post alert 08:19 - Nov 27 with 2315 viewsartsbossbeard

We're a Mick-esque team still despite the money spent and pub league standard we're up against.

In fact, the pub league nature of this division distorts our view somewhat as we look to be playing better but it's mainly due to the quality, or lack of, of the opposition.

BCWYF

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:20 - Nov 27 with 1910 viewschicoazul

Be careful whom you fck?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:25 - Nov 27 with 1880 viewsitfcjoe

Just posted on another thread - but we seem to want to get into a battle with other teams and play games to their strengths and hope to nick it by having better players.

Works better away from home, but here we need to be setting up how we want to set up and letting them worry about it - 3 CBs and Skuse to handle Skinfenwa was an embarrassment last night

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:28 - Nov 27 with 1857 viewsBluefish

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:25 - Nov 27 by itfcjoe

Just posted on another thread - but we seem to want to get into a battle with other teams and play games to their strengths and hope to nick it by having better players.

Works better away from home, but here we need to be setting up how we want to set up and letting them worry about it - 3 CBs and Skuse to handle Skinfenwa was an embarrassment last night

Lambert doesn't seem to believe in himself to set a system and dominate. We have the players but not the system. When he arrived he seemed to believe more by installing a shape and style but when it failed dismally it seems to be as hoc and hope for the best. He is roy keanesque at the moment

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:32 - Nov 27 with 1834 viewsartsbossbeard

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:28 - Nov 27 by Bluefish

Lambert doesn't seem to believe in himself to set a system and dominate. We have the players but not the system. When he arrived he seemed to believe more by installing a shape and style but when it failed dismally it seems to be as hoc and hope for the best. He is roy keanesque at the moment

But, near on halfway through and we've only lost two games and sit second with a couple of games in hand.

I wasn't around on Saturday but I would've expected more online anger with picking just one up top at home, if recent history is taken into account on such matters.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:32 - Nov 27 with 1835 viewsitfcjoe

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:28 - Nov 27 by Bluefish

It didn't even fail that dismally - I'd say the best we looked under Lambert was in those early games but just leaky at the back.

Until that run of draws when we started to click but that was more in a 433 again.

352 just doesn't suit us at all other than getting better players on the pitch - Wilson passed the ball off the pitch 3 times last night in the first half as struggles on the left. A back 4 with Skuse in front allowing the full backs to push on is more than solid enough for this level where teams don't take their chances

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:35 - Nov 27 with 1808 viewsKeaneish

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:25 - Nov 27 by itfcjoe

Agreed. Even then we didn’t really deal with Akinfenwa!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:41 - Nov 27 with 1760 viewsMaySixth

If you watch us home and away each week you know the style of football is nothing like MM

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:47 - Nov 27 with 1736 viewsartsbossbeard

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:41 - Nov 27 by MaySixth

If you watch us home and away each week you know the style of football is nothing like MM

I do watch us home and a lot of aways.

And I've got eyes.

Login to get fewer ads

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:51 - Nov 27 with 1714 viewsOxford_Blue

We are a million miles for the MM era especially in terms of the connection with the fans.

It’s not pub football.

We are doing well and having a good season - need to focus on supporting the team.
Incoming controversial post alert on 08:55 - Nov 27 with 1685 viewsHerbivore

I'm not sure we're as effective as a Mick side to be honest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:57 - Nov 27 with 1685 viewsKieran_Knows

I think the thing for me was, coming down to this league, I thought we'd get some identity as to how we'd play. PL clearly came in last November wanting to get the ball down and play out from the back (whilst we were sh*t at it, I admired the effort), then abandoned it in January in desperation to keep us up.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:59 - Nov 27 with 1674 viewsGuthrum

There is a similarity to 2014-15 in that people are unhappy about the style of play, team selection and lack of big wins, while we're grinding along near the top of the division.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:02 - Nov 27 with 1652 viewsBluefish

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:32 - Nov 27 by artsbossbeard

But, near on halfway through and we've only lost two games and sit second with a couple of games in hand.

I wasn't around on Saturday but I would've expected more online anger with picking just one up top at home, if recent history is taken into account on such matters.

There has been a blanket ban against questioning Lambert. He could have stuck 10 in defence and told them to keep kicking it off the pitch with every touch and many on here would still say how wonderful things are and how he has brought the good times back. To a degree it was needed though the atmosphere was horrendous so they needed to be told how great things were to fix it. Sadly there are enormous question marks over Lambert

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:03 - Nov 27 with 1648 viewsBluefish

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:32 - Nov 27 by itfcjoe

It didn't even fail that dismally - I'd say the best we looked under Lambert was in those early games but just leaky at the back.

Until that run of draws when we started to click but that was more in a 433 again.

352 just doesn't suit us at all other than getting better players on the pitch - Wilson passed the ball off the pitch 3 times last night in the first half as struggles on the left. A back 4 with Skuse in front allowing the full backs to push on is more than solid enough for this level where teams don't take their chances

We finished rock bottom by some distance with the most expensive (pro rata) squad in our entire history. It failed pretty dismally.

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:08 - Nov 27 with 1630 viewsKeaneish

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:32 - Nov 27 by itfcjoe

I agree with playing Skuse in that role if he’s to play and having two at the back with attacking full backs but then we’re looking at either playing a diamond or one up top unless Skuse is a third man in a three man defence.

Every option throws up a problem. Jackson and Norwood have to start, which means it’s either a 442, 442-diamond or 532. Every one of these systems has its problems, 442 being the lesser so which is likely why we sustained it for a period. Too many fit talented midfielders for this now though and Skuse would be behind Downes and one of Nolan or Huws for balance.

Reality is we may have to forgo our best team to play our best system (or vice-versa) or just middle through the season like this!
[Post edited 27 Nov 2019 9:08]

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:22 - Nov 27 with 1577 viewsHerbivore

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:08 - Nov 27 by Keaneish

I agree with playing Skuse in that role if he’s to play and having two at the back with attacking full backs but then we’re looking at either playing a diamond or one up top unless Skuse is a third man in a three man defence.

Every option throws up a problem. Jackson and Norwood have to start, which means it’s either a 442, 442-diamond or 532. Every one of these systems has its problems, 442 being the lesser so which is likely why we sustained it for a period. Too many fit talented midfielders for this now though and Skuse would be behind Downes and one of Nolan or Huws for balance.

Reality is we may have to forgo our best team to play our best system (or vice-versa) or just middle through the season like this!
[Post edited 27 Nov 2019 9:08]

Jackson would be more than capable as a wide forward in a 4-3-3. I think ultimately that might be the way to go for us as it gives us three in the middle where we're strong, but we need to play wide forwards rather than wide midfielders to make it work or it too easily becomes a 4-5-1.

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:28 - Nov 27 with 1555 viewsGooders7592

We've got players that can play in all different formations, but not all in the same formation. Sounds silly I know, but we haven't got the wingers to play 4-4-2, the centre halves to play 3-5-2 or the striker to play one up front.
Incoming controversial post alert on 09:29 - Nov 27 with 1539 viewsHerbivore

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:28 - Nov 27 by Gooders7592

We've got players that can play in all different formations, but not all in the same formation. Sounds silly I know, but we haven't got the wingers to play 4-4-2, the centre halves to play 3-5-2 or the striker to play one up front.

Doesn't sound silly at all, it's why we're struggling a bit in terms of consistency. I think a midfield diamond is the l my system that really suits our players but we don't ever really play it.

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:45 - Nov 27 with 1501 viewsGuthrum

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:28 - Nov 27 by Gooders7592

Pretty much spot on. We also have too many ACMs to fit them all on the pitch at once.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Let me make it quite simple for you: on 09:47 - Nov 27 with 1498 viewsunstableblue

1. Yes we are still not firing on all cylinders
2 But the style of play and level of passing an attack is still superior to the last two seasons under Mick, but not to the level Mick had us playing for his first few seasons
3. We are averaging 13 shots per game
4. We are averaging 55% posession
5. Our passing accuracy is 70%
6. We are second in a league that is challenging to play, and can go top with our games in hand
7. We have injury issues
8. And neutrals and pundits are regularly making these statement: "Ipswich were held to a 2-2 draw by Blackpool on Saturday in an ENTERTAINING clash at Portman Road that featured two penalties in the space of five second-half minutes."
9. We have our highest two home crowds in a row 19k+ for ages; and the atmosphere is rocking

Agree still some lingering doubts on Lambert... BUT COME ON!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:54 - Nov 27 with 1457 viewsKeaneish

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:22 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

Jackson would be more than capable as a wide forward in a 4-3-3. I think ultimately that might be the way to go for us as it gives us three in the middle where we're strong, but we need to play wide forwards rather than wide midfielders to make it work or it too easily becomes a 4-5-1.

I’m not convinced but I know many others see that as an option so I’d like to see it for a run of games. Jackson’s runs into the channels and his ability to get in front of his defender are testament to that. It was his ball into Norwood’s missed header too. Maybe this is the option. Who plays left? Sears when fit?

That’s a pretty tasty front three which still gets Skuse, Downes and one of Nolan, Huws, Judge, Bishop or Dozzell in.

I’ve just talked myself into it.

Incoming controversial post alert on 10:03 - Nov 27 with 1427 viewsHerbivore

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:54 - Nov 27 by Keaneish

I’m not convinced but I know many others see that as an option so I’d like to see it for a run of games. Jackson’s runs into the channels and his ability to get in front of his defender are testament to that. It was his ball into Norwood’s missed header too. Maybe this is the option. Who plays left? Sears when fit?

That’s a pretty tasty front three which still gets Skuse, Downes and one of Nolan, Huws, Judge, Bishop or Dozzell in.

I’ve just talked myself into it.

Sears when fit on the left for sure, I like him a lot in that role. For now probably any one of Rowe, Edwards, El Miz or Dobra. Shame Lankester is also out as he'd be a decent option.

Incoming controversial post alert on 10:05 - Nov 27 with 1421 viewseireblue

Incoming controversial post alert on 09:02 - Nov 27 by Bluefish

There has been a blanket ban against questioning Lambert. He could have stuck 10 in defence and told them to keep kicking it off the pitch with every touch and many on here would still say how wonderful things are and how he has brought the good times back. To a degree it was needed though the atmosphere was horrendous so they needed to be told how great things were to fix it. Sadly there are enormous question marks over Lambert

Blanket ban you say.

How did you slip through then.
Let me make it quite simple for you: on 10:14 - Nov 27 with 1399 viewsBlueBadger

Let me make it quite simple for you: on 09:47 - Nov 27 by unstableblue

1. Yes we are still not firing on all cylinders
2 But the style of play and level of passing an attack is still superior to the last two seasons under Mick, but not to the level Mick had us playing for his first few seasons
3. We are averaging 13 shots per game
4. We are averaging 55% posession
5. Our passing accuracy is 70%
6. We are second in a league that is challenging to play, and can go top with our games in hand
7. We have injury issues
8. And neutrals and pundits are regularly making these statement: "Ipswich were held to a 2-2 draw by Blackpool on Saturday in an ENTERTAINING clash at Portman Road that featured two penalties in the space of five second-half minutes."
9. We have our highest two home crowds in a row 19k+ for ages; and the atmosphere is rocking

Agree still some lingering doubts on Lambert... BUT COME ON!!

It's been 17 games this season, plus cups, plus a fair chunk of last season that the majority of these players have been playing together - how long do they need to click?
We're playing a division lower and yet most of the 'superior' passing we're seeing is still aimless midfield 'tip-tap' ala last season's 'Improved performances' rather than any kind of purposeful pass and move. We're getting away with it because the oposition is by and large, terrible.

Personally I think we've got more than enough in the tank to achieve automatic promotion but what concerns me is what comes after. I fear us looking like Celtic or Rangers when they step out of eth warm bath of Scottish Football and actually have to play half-decent opposition - the occasional memorable win, but otherwise a joyless, fruitless slog.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2019 10:22]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Incoming controversial post alert on 10:17 - Nov 27 with 1391 viewsBlueBadger

Incoming controversial post alert on 08:59 - Nov 27 by Guthrum

There is a similarity to 2014-15 in that people are unhappy about the style of play, team selection and lack of big wins, while we're grinding along near the top of the division.

Ironically enough, some of the people who were complaining about THEN are defending NOW.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024