Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So what is our minimum points from August?? 13:12 - Jul 29 with 6755 viewsunstableblue

There is huge expectation of a strong start, and to build much needed momentum. Lambert has also made a BIG play of pre-season being key to him finally getting what he wants from the team. I have a concern that due to the lack of wins and the relegation, unless we get the habit of winning and scoring goals set, then confidence/psychology will become a major issue.

Of course in mitigation, its a long season, we have injuries, new players are coming late to bed in, and the system may just need to click.

What do you think is the minimum from August? in terms of points. It feels like 10 from a possible 18. And that even feels like a bad start?! What do you think?

Sat 3 Aug 3:00pm Burton Albion A
Sat 10 Aug 3:00pm Sunderland H
Sat 17 Aug 3:00pm Peterborough United A
Tue 20 Aug 7:45pm AFC Wimbledon H
Sat 24 Aug 3:00pm Bolton Wanderers A
Sat 31 Aug 3:00pm Shrewsbury Town H

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:21 - Jul 29 with 3892 viewsGlasgowBlue

17 is realistic. 15 Acceptable.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:21 - Jul 29 with 3889 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I would say 8.

I think you'd like to think at least a couple of wins and a couple of draws.

Obviously it would be good to get more.

The most important thing is to get a win within our first 3 games, as that will take pressure off.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:21 - Jul 29 with 3893 viewsDarth_Koont

No idea actually.

Think it might be too early for this team to do well in what looks like a tough opening stint. Then again, maybe we can take advantage/not be punished by other teams also not fully up to speed.

What would really relax me is if I felt that we were defensively sound and could eke results out of games. That's the big unknown and a worry at the moment.

Edit: But I'd say if we're around 6 points or less from 16 then Lambert and the team will be inviting pressure from fans getting worried that we're not going to bounce back. So I think more than that is absolutely vital.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2019 13:25]

Pronouns: He/Him

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:22 - Jul 29 with 3884 viewshomer_123

If it's promotion we want then it needs to be a minimum of 12 and ideally 15.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:22 - Jul 29 with 3883 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:21 - Jul 29 by GlasgowBlue

17 is realistic. 15 Acceptable.

;-)

17 is impossible.

But that was probably your point...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:23 - Jul 29 with 3878 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:22 - Jul 29 by homer_123

If it's promotion we want then it needs to be a minimum of 12 and ideally 15.

I would say that applies to promotion via the Top 2 places.

Play offs wouldnt need that.

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:23 - Jul 29 with 3875 viewsBobbychase

I'd take 12 from that lot. Two very tough games v Sunderland and Peterborough, even if we have a strong squad

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:25 - Jul 29 with 3863 viewsSwansea_Blue

If we're aiming to finish top two, we need to be looking at about 2 points per game. So 12 points is the target to put us on course. Obviously we could have a slow start and catch up, but an average of about 2 points a game is the bar. There isn't really a minimum at this stage of the season, although only 4-6 points and this place will be in meltdown.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:26 - Jul 29 with 3850 viewshomer_123

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:23 - Jul 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

I would say that applies to promotion via the Top 2 places.

Play offs wouldnt need that.

Can i refer the learned gentleman to our history of the 'play offs'.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:27 - Jul 29 with 3842 viewsSwansea_Blue

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:21 - Jul 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

I would say 8.

I think you'd like to think at least a couple of wins and a couple of draws.

Obviously it would be good to get more.

The most important thing is to get a win within our first 3 games, as that will take pressure off.

11th place form that, based on last season.

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:27 - Jul 29 with 3843 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:26 - Jul 29 by homer_123

Can i refer the learned gentleman to our history of the 'play offs'.

Just being pragmatic.

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:28 - Jul 29 with 3840 viewsKieran_Knows

Sat 3 Aug 3:00pm Burton Albion - Draw
Sat 10 Aug 3:00pm Sunderland - Win
Sat 17 Aug 3:00pm Peterborough United - Loss
Tue 20 Aug 7:45pm AFC Wimbledon - Win
Sat 24 Aug 3:00pm Bolton Wanderers - Draw
Sat 31 Aug 3:00pm Shrewsbury Town - Win

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:29 - Jul 29 with 3825 viewsDarth_Koont

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:25 - Jul 29 by Swansea_Blue

If we're aiming to finish top two, we need to be looking at about 2 points per game. So 12 points is the target to put us on course. Obviously we could have a slow start and catch up, but an average of about 2 points a game is the bar. There isn't really a minimum at this stage of the season, although only 4-6 points and this place will be in meltdown.

Agreed. Especially your last line. My own personal wish is that we just have a positive season, which may or may not lead to promotion depending on our rivals. And that we don't feel as if we're slipping even further away.

Pronouns: He/Him

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:31 - Jul 29 with 3808 viewsNazemariner

Anything less than 10 points will be disappointing.
So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:32 - Jul 29 with 3805 viewsTractorCam

12, we should be beating 4 of those.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:37 - Jul 29 with 3766 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:27 - Jul 29 by Swansea_Blue

11th place form that, based on last season.

That's overly simplistic.

Yes, its probably 11th place if you extrapolate those results evenly across the season. But that's not how football works.

The OP asked for a minimum.

I think with 8 points, its not ideal, but not so bad that you are cut adrift from the play offs. Hence my answer.

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:45 - Jul 29 with 3746 viewsGlasgowBlue

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:22 - Jul 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

;-)

17 is impossible.

But that was probably your point...

I'd counted the League Cup game by mistake so it's 15 Target and 12 acceptable. That's the sort of form needed to win the league. Which should be our target.

The last time we got off to a top 2 start to a season was under Keane in 2010 when we won 3 and drew 1 of our 4 August games. Giving us a points average of 2.5 points a game. That was top 2 form.

15 points from 6 games is 2.5 and 12 is 2.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2019 13:47]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:48 - Jul 29 with 3727 viewsITFC_Forever

On the basis Bolton go bust, then we have the following results:

Sat 3 Aug 3:00pm Burton Albion A - win
Sat 10 Aug 3:00pm Sunderland H - draw
Sat 17 Aug 3:00pm Peterborough United A - draw
Tue 20 Aug 7:45pm AFC Wimbledon H - win
Sat 24 Aug 3:00pm Bolton Wanderers A - N/A
Sat 31 Aug 3:00pm Shrewsbury Town H - win

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:48 - Jul 29 with 3724 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:45 - Jul 29 by GlasgowBlue

I'd counted the League Cup game by mistake so it's 15 Target and 12 acceptable. That's the sort of form needed to win the league. Which should be our target.

The last time we got off to a top 2 start to a season was under Keane in 2010 when we won 3 and drew 1 of our 4 August games. Giving us a points average of 2.5 points a game. That was top 2 form.

Didn't we win 4 from 4 under Mick a couple of seasons back?

We should be aiming for top two (and no doubt we are), but as a fan, I would be happy with the play offs. So I would be OK with a lower haul.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2019 13:48]

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:50 - Jul 29 with 3709 viewsSwansea_Blue

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:37 - Jul 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

That's overly simplistic.

Yes, its probably 11th place if you extrapolate those results evenly across the season. But that's not how football works.

The OP asked for a minimum.

I think with 8 points, its not ideal, but not so bad that you are cut adrift from the play offs. Hence my answer.

Yeah sure, I just thought hitting the required average would provide the best indication that we stand a chance of competing. By the same token the minimum is 0, as there plenty of time to make up the points.

I suspect you'll be close on 8 and we'll hover around that level for the whole of the season, getting very excited about brief runs of playoff form.

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:56 - Jul 29 with 3695 viewsKeaneish

14 i'd say.

Draw Burton Albion
Win Sunderland
Draw Peterborough United
Win FC Wimbledon
Win Bolton Wanderers
Win Shrewsbury Town

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:58 - Jul 29 with 3685 viewsSteve_M

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:45 - Jul 29 by GlasgowBlue

I know everyone gets revisionist about Mick's time here now but we won four straight league matches at the start of 2017-18. And it was three wins and a draw at the start of 15-16.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 14:13 - Jul 29 with 3631 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:50 - Jul 29 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah sure, I just thought hitting the required average would provide the best indication that we stand a chance of competing. By the same token the minimum is 0, as there plenty of time to make up the points.

I suspect you'll be close on 8 and we'll hover around that level for the whole of the season, getting very excited about brief runs of playoff form.

I think we will make the play offs.

I reckon we will have a good L1 spine to the team...

Holy - Nsiala - Downes - Judge - Norwood

Plenty of quality around that too.

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 14:15 - Jul 29 with 3628 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 13:58 - Jul 29 by Steve_M

I know everyone gets revisionist about Mick's time here now but we won four straight league matches at the start of 2017-18. And it was three wins and a draw at the start of 15-16.

The start to the 2017-18 was great.... but was also a freak.

I remember that in four matches we'd had something like 12 shots on goal, and something like 8 of those had been goals.

...alas, it didnt continue.

So what is our minimum points from August?? on 14:32 - Jul 29 with 3565 viewsBLUEBEAT

I reckon 8 points

Other teams will up their game against us - like they did against Sunderland last year

We will still have a draw mentality from the longstanding ethos of recent seasons

Poll: W or W

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024