Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I genuinely can't work Arsenal out 10:43 - Jul 3 with 3889 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

They apparently have a transfer budget of £50m this summer according to Sky. Which is just about enough for one defensive player to make a difference, and unlikely to improve them in the attacking positions.

They have offered £40m for Zaha, who Palace rate at £80m. The reality is in todays market he's probably worth £60m or £70m when you look at how many goals he scores, what he creates and how many seasons he has done it over. Arsenal know they will never get him for that.

Man Utd and Man City both want Harry Maguire and Leicester turned down £70m from Man Utd yesterday. Sky are now saying Arsenal have made an offer …

£50m.

That must be very tempting for Leicester being £20m below what they have already rejected.

I am sure we all remember the Suarez saga of offering £40,000,001, which at least had some basis in logic behind it.

I just wonder what the actual point is of them making bids for players they know they cannot get for the money they are offering is. Surely they don't think all fans are stupid enough to be appeased by 'we made a bid for player'. We could bid £100,000 for Billy Sharp under the same logic.

It's something Arsenal have done for years. It's almost as if the people making these bids have no idea that the media exists and that we all know what other clubs are asking for or have offered.

£50m for Maguire as a 'cheeky' bid the day after £70m was turned down. WTF?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 10:45 - Jul 3 with 3261 viewsPendejo

Here's hoping they turn to Mings for £25m, then they've got enough for Waghorn and we're in the money!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 10:47 - Jul 3 with 3242 viewsKieran_Knows

They're obviously banking on Zaha kicking up a fuss and handing in a transfer request.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 10:49 - Jul 3 with 3221 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 10:47 - Jul 3 by Kieran_Knows

They're obviously banking on Zaha kicking up a fuss and handing in a transfer request.

Which is what happens but do they seriously think for one moment they will get him for £10m less than Wan-Bissaka who has had one good season, whilst Zaha has made Palace a one man team for seasons before that, regardless of AWB's age.

Same with Maguire. If he wants to leave, now reportedly the case after yesterday, they already have a much, much higher offer.

I wouldn't mind betting that if Zaha was to leave and kicked up a fuss, that 3 or 4 clubs would easily be willing to pay a lot more than £40m.

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 10:52 - Jul 3 with 3204 viewsKieran_Knows

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 10:49 - Jul 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Which is what happens but do they seriously think for one moment they will get him for £10m less than Wan-Bissaka who has had one good season, whilst Zaha has made Palace a one man team for seasons before that, regardless of AWB's age.

Same with Maguire. If he wants to leave, now reportedly the case after yesterday, they already have a much, much higher offer.

I wouldn't mind betting that if Zaha was to leave and kicked up a fuss, that 3 or 4 clubs would easily be willing to pay a lot more than £40m.

I'm not really sure why Arsenal are prepared to chuck all their eggs in one basket with regards to getting Zaha. He's okay, but is he that good for a club with aspirations of getting back in the Champions League/challenge for the title in a few years?

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 10:57 - Jul 3 with 3181 viewsBloomBlue

But fans moan football has gone mad with the amount of money being paid on transfers fees and that feeds into the cost of tickets at the expense of fans.

Maybe Arsenal are offering sensible prices
I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 10:58 - Jul 3 with 3175 viewslinhdi

I am wondering if they feel they have to be seen to be making bids after Spurs signed two players for a total of around £80m this week. When Arsenal moved into their ground, they had to cut back on transfer fees paid for a long time, so their fans are a bit mutinous right now.I

Doesn't help that Arsenal's wage bill is around £100m higher than Tottenham's, just as their revenues are about to fall behind. (Exc thread by Swissramble the other day).
I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:02 - Jul 3 with 3153 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The Sky report of £50m is just gossip.

The Zaha bid is daft, I can understand low balling, but that offer will just antagonise Palace.

Arsenal were 100% right to make the offer for Suarez that they did. If they understood that figure would activate his release, then why on earth would you offer more!?

....their mistake?... they got their information wrong.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 11:02]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:03 - Jul 3 with 3134 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 10:57 - Jul 3 by BloomBlue

But fans moan football has gone mad with the amount of money being paid on transfers fees and that feeds into the cost of tickets at the expense of fans.

Maybe Arsenal are offering sensible prices

£50m is hardly ‘sensible’.

You either offer the market rate or you offer something sensible which is nowhere near that sum.

They wouldn’t accept sensible for their players. They’d expect the going rate. Works both ways.

The moment they accept £1m for Aubemayeng then maybe they have a point.

Login to get fewer ads

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:11 - Jul 3 with 3106 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:02 - Jul 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

The Sky report of £50m is just gossip.

The Zaha bid is daft, I can understand low balling, but that offer will just antagonise Palace.

Arsenal were 100% right to make the offer for Suarez that they did. If they understood that figure would activate his release, then why on earth would you offer more!?

....their mistake?... they got their information wrong.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 11:02]

I don’t think they were wrong - John Henry has freely admitted that clause did exist and that they took the decision to ignore it

No idea why anyone is holding much stock into the Zaha rumours. Arsenal have for years quite obviously fed information into the press to make it look like they’re after certain targets - presumably as there’s money to be made from keeping in the news even if it does wind up frustrating your supporters

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:11 - Jul 3 with 3104 viewsclive_baker

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 10:52 - Jul 3 by Kieran_Knows

I'm not really sure why Arsenal are prepared to chuck all their eggs in one basket with regards to getting Zaha. He's okay, but is he that good for a club with aspirations of getting back in the Champions League/challenge for the title in a few years?

He's also not the sort of player that should be a priority right now. They've got a lot by way of creativity and technical wide and forward players. What they lack is a real spine and leadership on the pitch IMO. They've got some talent but they haven't for years looked like a cohesive unit that can perform consistently, and that comes down to leadership. I saw them dismantle sides last season, then the next week look terrible, which is telling about the strength of character in their squad. I also think they've got far too many foreign players. It's not a bad thing per se, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the most successful sides in the Premier League still have a core of key British players still today, a la Trent-Arnold, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Stones, Sterling, Delph, Walker.

They need to stop spending £35m on the likes of Mustafi and have a bit of a clear out IMO. I would clear 4 or 5 out to add to the budget and get looking at the likes of:

Michael Keane
Declan Rice
James Ward-Prowse
Jamaal Lascelles
Jack Grealish
Ryan Fraser
Wilf Zaha
Jamie Vardy
David Brooks
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 11:16]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:15 - Jul 3 with 3089 viewsKieran_Knows

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:11 - Jul 3 by clive_baker

He's also not the sort of player that should be a priority right now. They've got a lot by way of creativity and technical wide and forward players. What they lack is a real spine and leadership on the pitch IMO. They've got some talent but they haven't for years looked like a cohesive unit that can perform consistently, and that comes down to leadership. I saw them dismantle sides last season, then the next week look terrible, which is telling about the strength of character in their squad. I also think they've got far too many foreign players. It's not a bad thing per se, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the most successful sides in the Premier League still have a core of key British players still today, a la Trent-Arnold, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Stones, Sterling, Delph, Walker.

They need to stop spending £35m on the likes of Mustafi and have a bit of a clear out IMO. I would clear 4 or 5 out to add to the budget and get looking at the likes of:

Michael Keane
Declan Rice
James Ward-Prowse
Jamaal Lascelles
Jack Grealish
Ryan Fraser
Wilf Zaha
Jamie Vardy
David Brooks

100% agree. They've got a few players I'm sure who would rake in a few quid and not exactly up to standards .. Elneny, Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Mustafi, Jenkinson to name a few.

Amazes me that they're prepared to spend all that on Zaha, when someone like Hakim Zyiech has a £30m release clause in his contract and has openly said he'd join Arsenal. Appreciate he's a more central player than Zaha, but still.

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:15 - Jul 3 with 3086 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:11 - Jul 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I don’t think they were wrong - John Henry has freely admitted that clause did exist and that they took the decision to ignore it

No idea why anyone is holding much stock into the Zaha rumours. Arsenal have for years quite obviously fed information into the press to make it look like they’re after certain targets - presumably as there’s money to be made from keeping in the news even if it does wind up frustrating your supporters

The clause must have been slightly different to a standard release clause, as an owner shouldn't be able to ignore a bid that meets the fee stated in the contract.

Effectively, at that point, it has nothing to do with the owner.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:35 - Jul 3 with 3035 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:15 - Jul 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

The clause must have been slightly different to a standard release clause, as an owner shouldn't be able to ignore a bid that meets the fee stated in the contract.

Effectively, at that point, it has nothing to do with the owner.

Of course they can - Liverpool took the gamble that they would be able to persuade him to stay and wouldn’t get sued for breach of contract, which ultimately paid off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26414167

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:44 - Jul 3 with 3002 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:35 - Jul 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Of course they can - Liverpool took the gamble that they would be able to persuade him to stay and wouldn’t get sued for breach of contract, which ultimately paid off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26414167

I take your point.

That's not quite ignoring it, as he acted on it by engaging with the player.

No breach took place.

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:55 - Jul 3 with 2955 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:44 - Jul 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

I take your point.

That's not quite ignoring it, as he acted on it by engaging with the player.

No breach took place.

Two separate things surely - yes Liverpool ultimately resolved it by getting Suarez to agree to a new contract but they still ignored the clause in the original one, correctly gambling that Suarez wouldn’t ultimately sue them. When that stance was taken initially Suarez very much wanted to go, and there was something of a stand off for some time, IIRC
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 11:55]

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 12:08 - Jul 3 with 2902 viewsTIB

Been the topic of discussion the last few days on a WhatsApp group I'm in...arguably Arsenal need at least 2 defenders in, if not 3 or 4 before looking at the wide positions. Putting all your summer pocket money into one player, in an area you're strongest seems truly bizarre.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 13:03 - Jul 3 with 2739 viewsGarv

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 11:11 - Jul 3 by clive_baker

Michael Keane
Declan Rice
James Ward-Prowse
Jamaal Lascelles
Jack Grealish
Ryan Fraser
Wilf Zaha
Jamie Vardy
David Brooks

Have they got many wingers?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 13:16 - Jul 3 with 2701 viewschristiand

To unsettle the player and try get them to force a move away.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 13:25 - Jul 3 with 2666 viewsJ2BLUE

£50m transfer budget and losing Ramsey, who must be worth at least £50m, on a free.

You can't make it up. They seem to be like us when we have money. They offer 'fair value' from about 2004 and refuse to accept the market has moved massively.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 13:36 - Jul 3 with 2620 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 13:25 - Jul 3 by J2BLUE

£50m transfer budget and losing Ramsey, who must be worth at least £50m, on a free.

You can't make it up. They seem to be like us when we have money. They offer 'fair value' from about 2004 and refuse to accept the market has moved massively.

Thanks Dan.

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 13:37 - Jul 3 with 2619 viewsclive_baker

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 13:03 - Jul 3 by Garv

Have they got many wingers?

Ozil and Mkhitaryhan tended to play off the central strikers last season, presumably that's where Zaha would be utilised. Aubamayang too, off Lacazette. Alex Iwobi is another, who I think is better centrally but is often deployed wide to good effect. Maybe they want out and out wide men and to change their shape slightly, but I still wouldn't suggest Zaha is the best option, especially at £60m or whatever it would take to get him. I know they've got high hopes for Nketah too, no idea where he would fit in.

Don't get me wrong, Zaha would strengthen them, hence he's on my list. I just think if there's a finite pot of money then spending it all on him seems odd given they're desperately short in terms of a central defensive core. I would rather see them sign Keane if I were a gooner.

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 14:54 - Jul 3 with 2520 viewsJ2BLUE

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 13:36 - Jul 3 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Thanks Dan.

Calm down Danford. My sincere apologies for outing you.

Truly impaired.

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 14:56 - Jul 3 with 2515 viewsclive_baker

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 14:54 - Jul 3 by J2BLUE

Calm down Danford. My sincere apologies for outing you.

You're better than this J2.

Constantly following him around this forum 'outting' him is a little cringe chap.

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 14:58 - Jul 3 with 2510 viewsJ2BLUE

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 14:56 - Jul 3 by clive_baker

You're better than this J2.

Constantly following him around this forum 'outting' him is a little cringe chap.

Following him around? I replied to him normally.

Truly impaired.

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 15:00 - Jul 3 with 2505 viewsclive_baker

I genuinely can't work Arsenal out on 14:58 - Jul 3 by J2BLUE

Following him around? I replied to him normally.

You've replied to him on numerous posts taking satisfaction at 'outting' someone as a previous poster, and even recognised yourself you should probably stop it...yet carried on.

As I said, it's all a bit cringe and something you would expect to see from certain posters, of which you aren't one.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024