Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) 06:01 - Jun 25 with 1444 viewswkj

I have never cooked salmon personally, and never really enjoyed the flavour all that much. However, in my year of broadening my cooking horizons by taking on a new ingredient every month I find myself visit this stunning looking fish and find myself wanting to poll the great tractor cult for recipe tips.

Although the internet is far from anemic with its recipes, I don't trust a lot of the ratings online, nor do I care for trawling through a novel of what that recipe means for the author to find a cack recipe at the end.

The ball is in your court TWTD bumfesters, how does one do salmon good (without an arse load of butter)

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 06:19 - Jun 25 with 1418 viewsbrogansnose

Personally, I think that Salmon is overrated and much prefer Trout even smoked , if we are going to compare similiar-ish fish, and that's before we get into the environmental impact of the farmed product.

Taste wise, I don't think that you can whack the smoked Scandi style fish served simply with bagels, mind you, there's no cooking in that. Comes up well done as a cerviche and failing that done encroute with a sauce.

I much prefer the delicate subtle flavours of fish away from Salmon which can be a bit ' too in your face' for me. Bear this in mind if I get an invite round ! I will bring wine.
Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 08:43 - Jun 25 with 1355 viewsfactual_blue

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 06:19 - Jun 25 by brogansnose

Personally, I think that Salmon is overrated and much prefer Trout even smoked , if we are going to compare similiar-ish fish, and that's before we get into the environmental impact of the farmed product.

Taste wise, I don't think that you can whack the smoked Scandi style fish served simply with bagels, mind you, there's no cooking in that. Comes up well done as a cerviche and failing that done encroute with a sauce.

I much prefer the delicate subtle flavours of fish away from Salmon which can be a bit ' too in your face' for me. Bear this in mind if I get an invite round ! I will bring wine.

On the other hand, one of the best things I've ever eaten was some salmon cooked on a piece of cedar when in Tofino on Vancouver Island.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 08:52 - Jun 25 with 1349 viewsgiant_stow

I can help here, despite not really being a cook - two options:

1. Roast salmon fillets in a dish, with olive tapanard on top of them and pastry on top of both.

2. Spaghetti with smoked salmon, olives/capers, spring greens, fried onions and the juice of a lemon and a lime.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 09:07 - Jun 25 with 1332 viewsSaleAway

For a salmon fillet, I'd go with a Salmon En Croute, with spinach and cream cheese:

wilt the spinach, chop finely, add some cooked down shallots and garlic, then cream cheese to make a paste...

roll out puff pastry to width of pound coin.. put layer of paste down on half the pastry, salmon on top, more paste, then roll the pastry over the top and seal. Bake in the oven.

For good smoked salmon - don't f*** about with it - good quality brown bread and butter, lay on the smoked salmon, cracked black pepper and lemon juice, eat with a glass of champagne

Smoked salmon trimmings...

Boil some penne.
puree some onion, cook down for 5 minutes, add the smoked salmon trimmings, pour in a shot or two of vodka, add some tomato puree and cream, add some peas... mix with penne. Winner
[Post edited 25 Jun 2019 9:09]

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 09:21 - Jun 25 with 1319 viewsStokieBlue

Salmon is a lovely ingredient. Here are a few favourites:

- Simply cooked it skin side down until it goes crispy and flip over to finish. The key to salmon is not overcooking it, there is nothing worse than overcooked salmon. I’d usually season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes.

- Salmon fishcakes are excellent. Best combined with chili, coriander and lemon peel in my experience. If you want to go a bit more exciting then top with a poached egg (or confit egg yoke if you really want to push the boat out) and flash-fried asparagus.

- For something totally different you could cure your own salmon. Beetroot cured salmon with easy make salmon pate is lovely.

If you fancy any of the above but you’re not sure how to cook it then PM me and I’ll write you up some instructions.

SB
[Post edited 25 Jun 2019 9:22]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 09:29 - Jun 25 with 1306 viewsfooters

Oh, your missus has let you go shopping all on your own, has she? Hope you used everything up like a good boy.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 09:56 - Jun 25 with 1289 viewsGeoffSentence

Wrap in foil. Place in Dishwasher. Retrieve at end of short program. Eat.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 10:57 - Jun 25 with 1247 viewswkj

Lovely suggestions, especially the egg idea - not that I'm biased on that frong. Also footers, I think she hated her cheese omelette with a side of peas more than I did- I've had full control over the kitchen ever since

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 11:18 - Jun 25 with 1233 viewsGuthrum

I usually don't do much to it, let the natural flavour come out. Little sprinkle of dill, pinch of tarragon (strong flavour so not too much) and, yes, a little bit of butter. Poaching in the microwave (about a minute and a half for a normal sized portion; but carefully, 30 seconds at a time) produces good results.

Hollandaise sauce is a good complement if you want something like that.

My mother often gets a slice of honey-glazed, hot-smoked salmon and eats it cold with potatoes (boiled, allowed to cool, sliced and shallow fried) and peas, vegetables or salad. Very nice.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 12:59 - Jun 27 with 1149 viewswkj

Went with the tapinade recipe in the end and actually fried the fish, had with some [redacted for brexit lovers]rench beans and couscous.

I must have had poor quality salmon last time, this time it was really buttery and succulent, the time I'd had it before it was almost earthy tasting.

[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 13:00]

Crybaby

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 13:20 - Jun 27 with 1111 viewsfooters

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 12:59 - Jun 27 by wkj

Went with the tapinade recipe in the end and actually fried the fish, had with some [redacted for brexit lovers]rench beans and couscous.

I must have had poor quality salmon last time, this time it was really buttery and succulent, the time I'd had it before it was almost earthy tasting.

[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 13:00]

No need to thank me for the advice.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 13:43 - Jun 27 with 1084 viewswkj

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 13:20 - Jun 27 by footers

No need to thank me for the advice.

You rotter

Crybaby

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 16:20 - Jun 27 with 1057 viewsWeWereZombies

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 06:19 - Jun 25 by brogansnose

You can get around the bad impact of farmed salmon (and just about all you buy in the shops nowadays is) by finding some Pacific salmon. However you are ramping up the food miles argument...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 16:25 - Jun 27 with 1054 viewsStokieBlue

Cookery Confessions (Recipe Prostitution - July Edition) on 16:20 - Jun 27 by WeWereZombies

You can get around the bad impact of farmed salmon (and just about all you buy in the shops nowadays is) by finding some Pacific salmon. However you are ramping up the food miles argument...

As long as it's not sockeye though.

The Baldrick of salmon.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024