Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football is mad isn’t it 20:07 - May 29 with 1725 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Honestly thought Maitland-Niles would just be another Lee Martin or Alex Henshall.

He’s playing in the UEFA Cup final. Mental.

*I know. Europa League.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Football is mad isn’t it on 20:22 - May 29 with 1684 viewsStenvict

He was 17 when he was with us.

Henshall and Martin had already failed to make it at their respective clubs by the time they joined us.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Football is mad isn’t it on 20:35 - May 29 with 1648 viewsPendejo

What is madder than that is that he is the only English player starting an "all English" final

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Football is mad isn’t it on 20:52 - May 29 with 1604 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Football is mad isn’t it on 20:22 - May 29 by Stenvict

He was 17 when he was with us.

Henshall and Martin had already failed to make it at their respective clubs by the time they joined us.

Very much this

Although admittedly I am surprised he’s made it at Arsenal. Thought he’d end up at a lower-mid PL club, so fair play to him for carving out regular appearances at that level

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Football is mad isn’t it on 21:24 - May 29 with 1529 viewsEly_Blue

And the 2nd and 3rd Chelsea goals both were AMN fault

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Football is mad isn’t it on 21:36 - May 29 with 1490 viewsCrock

Football is mad isn’t it on 21:24 - May 29 by Ely_Blue

And the 2nd and 3rd Chelsea goals both were AMN fault

Wasn't one of them an incredibly soft penalty?

Poll: Favourite number?

Football is mad isn’t it on 21:40 - May 29 with 1468 viewsEly_Blue

Football is mad isn’t it on 21:36 - May 29 by Crock

Wasn't one of them an incredibly soft penalty?

Depends on whether you call shoulder barging a guy in the back “soft”

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Football is mad isn’t it on 06:42 - May 30 with 1308 viewsTractorWood

I think it's more of a sign of Arsenal's decline than AMN's quality. I'm happy for him personally though.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Football is mad isn’t it on 06:45 - May 30 with 1301 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Football is mad isn’t it on 06:42 - May 30 by TractorWood

I think it's more of a sign of Arsenal's decline than AMN's quality. I'm happy for him personally though.

Maybe, but they did finish 1 point off the top 4 and reach a European final

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Football is mad isn’t it on 08:50 - May 30 with 1194 viewsGeoffSentence

I have seen one or two people call the Europa cup the UEFA Cup.

I don't like it one bit. It devalues the UEFA Cup and hence our team's achievement.

The old UEFA cup was closer to todays Champions League in terms of the teams that took part.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Football is mad isn’t it on 09:08 - May 30 with 1163 viewsMullet

Not really. Sounds pretty obvious you were wrong then and it hasn't changed is all.

Was very obvious how good he was going to be with us if he carried on at the same rate.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Football fan being wrong about a footballer shock on 09:14 - May 30 with 1142 viewsDyland

There is really nothing "mad" or "mental" about that at all.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Football is mad isn’t it on 09:18 - May 30 with 1131 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Football is mad isn’t it on 09:08 - May 30 by Mullet

Not really. Sounds pretty obvious you were wrong then and it hasn't changed is all.

Was very obvious how good he was going to be with us if he carried on at the same rate.

Was it really obvious?

Yes he was 17 and playing in the Championship and he had 4 or 5 decent games. But he was poor or anonymous in a number of other games.

He showed far less promise that Matthew Etherington did at the same age, and he made his debut at 15. Etherington became a decent winger at a Top 10 club for a spell. Never someone you expected to be at Arsenal playing in European finals.

Maitland-Niles clearly had something about him to be at Arsenal, but so did Will Keane to be at United and look how that's gone. The point is players don't carry on at the same rate. Otherwise Dozzell would be off for £25m after the way he broke into the team at 16.

Chalobah was very inconsistent last year, as you'd expect at 18, but was miles ahead of where AMN was when he was with us. Maitland-Niles looked like someone Arsenal would probably release. Chalobah looks like he could go on to be a top player, but even there I wouldn't say it was 'obvious' as you claim to be the case with AMN.

When he left, most were saying he wouldn't make the grade at Arsenal. I'll apologise if you can highlight the posts you made suggesting he was guaranteed to be a regular for one of the biggest clubs in the country by now.

Football is mad isn’t it on 09:26 - May 30 with 1106 viewsElephantintheRoom

Football is mad isn’t it on 08:50 - May 30 by GeoffSentence

I don't like it one bit. It devalues the UEFA Cup and hence our team's achievement.

The old UEFA cup was closer to todays Champions League in terms of the teams that took part.

I didn't see the match but that does look like the UEFA Cup that Chelski are dancing around in the press photos. Is it the same trophy? In which case, UEFA Cup seems OK even if it does demean what the trophy once meant. A bit like the FA Cup perhaps?

I'd echo the thoughts of the original poster. Only his mum thought he was a top player in the making at Portman Road. Perhaps MM was good for him after all.

And as stated above, how extraordinary that in a match touted as an advert for the strength of English football. he was the only starter - quite an achievement for the lad.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Football is mad isn’t it on 09:30 - May 30 with 1096 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Football is mad isn’t it on 08:50 - May 30 by GeoffSentence

I'm with you Geoff.

In our days the UEFA Cup was full of the 2nd and 3rd placed teams, not 5th and 6th like the format of today. Obviously, some league champions and runners up end up in it anyway if they finish 3rd in the CL.

But the UEFA Cup next season, based on the old format, would contain Liverpool, Chelsea, Dortmund, Real Madrid, Atletico, Napoli, Inter Milan etc, most of whom will stay in the Champions League.

Absolutely no doubt the UEFA Cup was a much harder competition to win than the Europa League is now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024