Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles 12:30 - Jan 21 with 6102 viewsitfcjoe

Still on iPlayer.

Really enjoyed this, was probably best documentary I've seen about boozing, probably because it was much more relatable to how big a role boozing does play in social life from my mid teens until now. How best to deal with it without just having to quit as doing that just isn't realistic or what I want to do.

Anyone else seen it?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 13:21 - Jan 21 with 4994 viewsLord_Lucan

I saw it. He seemed a normal drinker to me and was worrying about nothing - his alcoholic friends daughter though.........................

Also I thought that the women he interviewed in the pub garden who used to be a massive drinker and can now have one glass of wine per night gave a false hope to recovering alcoholics.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 13:27 - Jan 21 with 4961 viewsDeano69

Yes, it was interesting. Very much a different perspective from Alcoholic or Tea-Total, nothing in between. The fact that he is able to stay drink free for his working Thursday may be the difference between dependency and controlled.

I bit chuckle at his parents and their drinks cabinet.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 14:41 - Jan 21 with 4863 viewsPendejo

Haven't seen the Chiles one yet, 17 years or so ago another BBC reporter [Jeremy Bowen] did a documentary about boozing, which included him getting incredibly drunk. That I seem to recall was very interesting.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 14:41 - Jan 21 with 4859 viewschicoazul

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 13:21 - Jan 21 by Lord_Lucan

I saw it. He seemed a normal drinker to me and was worrying about nothing - his alcoholic friends daughter though.........................

Also I thought that the women he interviewed in the pub garden who used to be a massive drinker and can now have one glass of wine per night gave a false hope to recovering alcoholics.

It's almost as if alcoholism is not, in fact, a disease.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 14:43 - Jan 21 with 4851 viewsfooters

Sounds an interesting topic but is it just me who has a massive irrational (or maybe rational?) dislike of Chiles? Grumpy, boring sod.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 14:46 - Jan 21 with 4842 viewschicoazul

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 14:43 - Jan 21 by footers

Sounds an interesting topic but is it just me who has a massive irrational (or maybe rational?) dislike of Chiles? Grumpy, boring sod.

I quite like him but then I am a grumpy boring sod.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 15:02 - Jan 21 with 4814 viewsjjblue84

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 13:27 - Jan 21 by Deano69

Yes, it was interesting. Very much a different perspective from Alcoholic or Tea-Total, nothing in between. The fact that he is able to stay drink free for his working Thursday may be the difference between dependency and controlled.

I bit chuckle at his parents and their drinks cabinet.

It's all in the mind really, how much people drink is a good indicator of how much they are effected by peer pressure...most people don't even know why they drink so much!
Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 16:28 - Jan 21 with 4729 viewsitfcjoe

But is that not the difference between an alcoholic (i.e. Frank Skinner on the programme) or a big drinker who just loves drinking as opposed to needs to drink?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 16:31 - Jan 21 with 4717 viewsSwansea_Blue

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 16:28 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

But is that not the difference between an alcoholic (i.e. Frank Skinner on the programme) or a big drinker who just loves drinking as opposed to needs to drink?

The difference between those two types is that one has recognised they have a problem.

Maybe.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 16:50 - Jan 21 with 4687 viewsLord_Lucan

Possibly but the lifestyle she described was pretty much one of an alcoholic - and then she was sitting down saying a glass of wine can last her all night.

Now I am not saying that she was an alcoholic but many recovering alcoholics try to convince themselves that they were just binge drinkers and my personal opinion is that some of these people could have watched this and convinced themselves that they are ok and opened a bottle again.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 17:11 - Jan 21 with 4646 viewsclive_baker

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 14:43 - Jan 21 by footers

I find the amount of times he says 'errmmm' between words to be really annoying. If its the same doc, I think it was first aired last Jan, was an interesting insight. I liked his big mate who loved booze.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 18:33 - Jan 21 with 4574 viewstractorboy1978

You use the word "normal". You are right but that was the whole focus/point of the programme. He had over 100 units in a week regularly without really realising how much he was drinking. That shouldn't be normal when the medically recommended amount is 14 units but there are vast numbers of people around the country doing it.

I saw a lot of myself in him - the casual 3 or 4 pints before a game, the same after. Meeting up with a friend during the week and sinking another 4. A lot of my social life is largely built around having a pint, I enjoy it. It is only through lack of opportunity that I don't sink more, if I lived in London with a "pop out for a pint" after work culture I'd be a nightmare.

I'm not an alcoholic, he's not an alcoholic but it made me think about the amount I do drink.
Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 19:50 - Jan 21 with 4500 viewsLord_Lucan

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 18:33 - Jan 21 by tractorboy1978

You use the word "normal". You are right but that was the whole focus/point of the programme. He had over 100 units in a week regularly without really realising how much he was drinking. That shouldn't be normal when the medically recommended amount is 14 units but there are vast numbers of people around the country doing it.

I saw a lot of myself in him - the casual 3 or 4 pints before a game, the same after. Meeting up with a friend during the week and sinking another 4. A lot of my social life is largely built around having a pint, I enjoy it. It is only through lack of opportunity that I don't sink more, if I lived in London with a "pop out for a pint" after work culture I'd be a nightmare.

I'm not an alcoholic, he's not an alcoholic but it made me think about the amount I do drink.

The government (in cahoots with medical "EXPERTS") are telling you what you what is acceptable in their opinion.

If I went to see the quack with a bad foot they would tell me to stop drinking and smoking.

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 20:32 - Jan 21 with 4456 viewsunstableblue

I enjoyed it Joe and I find people's relationship with alcoholic very interesting. Albeit I didn't think it was brilliant or truly insightful.

Albeit Adrian Chiles is quite a complex character and the programme did touch on some of his other - or perhaps contributing - issues. He's quite different from his on screen persona.

I think there is a wider and deeper documentary to be made on booze, have considered a documentary on the area with a creative partner.

In another work sphere we had a lot of work Christmas party related incidents this year, including one dismissal, all related to booze obviously. And we hear from larger clients of even bigger Christmas party related challenges.

On TWTD there have been a few posters opening up about their relationship with the demon drink.

Can you think of any other documentaries or films that tackle alcohol well? There was a Louis Theroux one not too long a go - but that was for very serious cases.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 11:28 - Jan 22 with 4231 viewschicoazul

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 20:32 - Jan 21 by unstableblue

I enjoyed it Joe and I find people's relationship with alcoholic very interesting. Albeit I didn't think it was brilliant or truly insightful.

Albeit Adrian Chiles is quite a complex character and the programme did touch on some of his other - or perhaps contributing - issues. He's quite different from his on screen persona.

I think there is a wider and deeper documentary to be made on booze, have considered a documentary on the area with a creative partner.

In another work sphere we had a lot of work Christmas party related incidents this year, including one dismissal, all related to booze obviously. And we hear from larger clients of even bigger Christmas party related challenges.

On TWTD there have been a few posters opening up about their relationship with the demon drink.

Can you think of any other documentaries or films that tackle alcohol well? There was a Louis Theroux one not too long a go - but that was for very serious cases.

Leaving Las Vegas.

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 11:38 - Jan 22 with 4217 viewsGunnsAirkick

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 14:41 - Jan 21 by chicoazul

Yeah, it's just a lifestyle choice for all those addicted to various substances isn't it? What a moronic post.
Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 13:41 - Jan 22 with 4113 viewsjjblue84

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 11:38 - Jan 22 by GunnsAirkick

Yeah, it's just a lifestyle choice for all those addicted to various substances isn't it? What a moronic post.

But hang on...?
Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 15:44 - Jan 22 with 4038 viewsjeera

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 19:50 - Jan 21 by Lord_Lucan

The government (in cahoots with medical "EXPERTS") are telling you what you what is acceptable in their opinion.

If I went to see the quack with a bad foot they would tell me to stop drinking and smoking.

If it turned out to be gout they may have a point!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 16:02 - Jan 22 with 4011 viewsLord_Lucan

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 15:44 - Jan 22 by jeera

If it turned out to be gout they may have a point!

How is your gout Jeera?

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 16:08 - Jan 22 with 4003 viewsjeera

Such an ingrained cultural thing for many of us isn't it.

Like many I associate a pint or 2 as a normal thing to do after work.

I also associate a pint or 2 with an afternoon or evening out, be it at the local or at a new place visiting for the day.

I'll associate wine as normal with dinner and also whilst cooking dinner.

BBQs in the summer, staying in the warm in the winter, Xmas, birthdays, days with day tagged on the end...

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 16:13 - Jan 22 with 3994 viewsSwansea_Blue

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 16:08 - Jan 22 by jeera

Such an ingrained cultural thing for many of us isn't it.

Like many I associate a pint or 2 as a normal thing to do after work.

I also associate a pint or 2 with an afternoon or evening out, be it at the local or at a new place visiting for the day.

I'll associate wine as normal with dinner and also whilst cooking dinner.

BBQs in the summer, staying in the warm in the winter, Xmas, birthdays, days with day tagged on the end...

Football, theatre, wedding, funeral (wake), good day at work - celebrate, bad day at work - commiserate, etc., etc....

Ingrained indeed.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 17:01 - Jan 22 with 3955 viewsjeera

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 16:02 - Jan 22 by Lord_Lucan

How is your gout Jeera?

Sorry Lucers, only just seen this. Not too bad atm thanks - under control.

But I've not had a beer for almost 4 months and am disappointed that hasn't made as much of a difference as I was hoping for.

Steak mate. Bloody red, full on, rare steak is the worst trigger, though I still chance it sometimes.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2019 2:07]

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 20:23 - Jan 22 with 3868 viewsBrixtonBlue

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 14:41 - Jan 21 by chicoazul

You seem to revel in your ignorance, particularly when it comes to mental health matters.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 08:35 - Jan 23 with 3691 viewschicoazul

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 20:23 - Jan 22 by BrixtonBlue

You seem to revel in your ignorance, particularly when it comes to mental health matters.

"Oh that's it, pile on to good old Dollers when he is just stating an opinion"

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 08:42 - Jan 23 with 3681 viewschicoazul

Drinkers Like Me - Adrian Chiles on 11:38 - Jan 22 by GunnsAirkick

It certainly starts off as a lifestyle choice, yes.
My point is that, if it's a disease, how come so many people stop the symptoms (presumably drinking alcohol is a symptom of this "disease") or manage their "addiction"? If you get heart disease you can't just cure yourself. Same goes for all drug addicts. So many of them just stop taking the thing that is making them ill.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024