Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for those who were there last night 09:11 - Aug 15 with 2291 viewsSuperfrans

I saw a couple of comments on Twitter suggesting that last night was far from our worst cup performance against lower league opposition, that we actually competed for large sections of the match. And, of course, we didn't lose in normal time.

If this stacks up, I'm just wondering whether the issue is more that Hurst expects more from our team/players than previous regimes have in such matches, against lower league opposition. That that's just generally how we play, how seriously we take it. And that his reaction is simply the reaction of someone who isn't willing to accept that sort of attitude, in those kinds of matches - rather than it being a particularly abject performance, relatively speaking of course.

The other factor I'd like to throw in is that Hurst has spent all of his career in the lower leagues. He will rarely, if ever, found himself in the position of being a (supposedly) big club from a higher division, playing a smaller club.

Not making any particular judgments, just asking a few questions...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Question for those who were there last night on 09:18 - Aug 15 with 2246 viewsbluewein

Didn't go, watched it on soccer special. Cottee was pretty meh about the whole thing though. Didn't really feel like the effort was there from either teams.

Hursts reaction seemed to be one of embarrassment to me. Said he would take cup competitions seriously, stuck to his word and was made to look a little silly by his players. He seems a bad loser (in a good sense) and as you say, has probably never experienced being as big a favourite managing a team as we were last night.

Edit:- Apologies. Didn't actually pay attention to the "those who were there" part...
[Post edited 15 Aug 2018 9:19]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Question for those who were there last night on 09:25 - Aug 15 with 2179 viewshatch

Being used to dismal cup performances meant it was certainly no worse than previous occasions we’ve been knocked out. I reckon part of it last night was the majority of the team are used to being the underdog in these games having come from lower leagues and they probably struggled to come to terms with their first game expecting to win.

It was a disappointing performance, there were pockets of good football but I was sitting there picturing as up at Derby next week worrying about putting out a similar performance. I reckon we’ll up our performance a lot next week though as PH seems to prefer his team as underdogs.
Question for those who were there last night on 09:27 - Aug 15 with 2157 viewsBobbychase

I thought we played well in periods, dominated possession and had we had more of a cutting edge in the final third, would have won comfortably.

The goal we conceded was a clusterf*ck from Chambers followed by Bart getting the free kick badly wrong.

One thing that annoyed me above anything else was our penalty takers. We won the toss so the kicks were taken in front of a building site rather than their home end, then Bart saved the first one. Everything was in our favour but the choice of takers was weird.
When you save a pen, the advantage has to be rammed home with the next kick. Jackson should have taken the first one but instead it was Bishop, who was making his first appearance since December last year.
Then Chambers? WTF? He scored but there were other attacking players left on the pitch like Nolan and Rowe who you would assume are better strikers of the ball. Then Chalobah managed to not even hit the target.

A lot of focus is on Hurst's post-match comments today but the reason we are out of the Cup is that we produced a catastrophe of a penalty shoot-out.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Question for those who were there last night on 09:29 - Aug 15 with 2136 viewsSteve_M

Question for those who were there last night on 09:27 - Aug 15 by Bobbychase

I thought we played well in periods, dominated possession and had we had more of a cutting edge in the final third, would have won comfortably.

The goal we conceded was a clusterf*ck from Chambers followed by Bart getting the free kick badly wrong.

One thing that annoyed me above anything else was our penalty takers. We won the toss so the kicks were taken in front of a building site rather than their home end, then Bart saved the first one. Everything was in our favour but the choice of takers was weird.
When you save a pen, the advantage has to be rammed home with the next kick. Jackson should have taken the first one but instead it was Bishop, who was making his first appearance since December last year.
Then Chambers? WTF? He scored but there were other attacking players left on the pitch like Nolan and Rowe who you would assume are better strikers of the ball. Then Chalobah managed to not even hit the target.

A lot of focus is on Hurst's post-match comments today but the reason we are out of the Cup is that we produced a catastrophe of a penalty shoot-out.

"had we had more of a cutting edge in the final third"

I do fear that this might be the story of the season, I'm fairly confident that we'll sort the incredibly poor goals we're conceding out but I just can't see us scoring many.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Question for those who were there last night on 09:30 - Aug 15 with 2130 viewsIpswichKnight

I was surprised that Nolan didn't take one earlier ( he may have been down as the last taker mind ) .
Question for those who were there last night on 09:40 - Aug 15 with 2069 viewsSuperfrans

Question for those who were there last night on 09:29 - Aug 15 by Steve_M

I do fear that this might be the story of the season, I'm fairly confident that we'll sort the incredibly poor goals we're conceding out but I just can't see us scoring many.

Isn't this partly us all getting used to the concept of our midfielders chipping in with goals though? If Nolan, Ward, Edwards, Edu etc are all chipping in with 7-8 goals each (which isn't out of the question, if they're encouraged to shoot more, as they appear to be), you need Harrison or Jackson to be getting 10 and you're starting to get to where we need to be goals wise. It's just a long time since we've had midfielders scoring too many goals.

It seems to me that we're now having more efforts on goal, we need to be hitting the target more and things will start to change. I watched the Rotherham game online and listened to last night and Nolan has been a fraction away from scoring in both games, Ward should have scored vs Rotherham too.

Potentially biggest problem for me is confidence. Hurst is no mug, it wouldn't surprise him if the scale of his reaction last night is designed to distract the players from any knock to their confidence, turning the Villa game into a "show me you're not a load of crap" challenge.

I doubt we'll see more than a couple of changes from Rotherham, maybe 1/2 to show he means business (my money would be on Sears and possibly Knudsen) - and will send them out to show him what they can do.

Question for those who were there last night on 09:44 - Aug 15 with 2033 viewsjpr_23

I thought that we were clearly the better team. At half time, thought that we had got a bit of lucky goal, but was expecting us to step up and take control of the game. Thought it was clear that the players are still getting used to each other and the system, and the misplaced passes were down to people not being on the same wavelength yet.

Think that the criticism from Hurst was aimed at the more established players such as Chambers, Knudsen, Ward and Sears who all seemed below par. The new players were certainly putting the effort in, and no-one could accuse Jackson off not putting a shift in. Was maybe a little disappointed with Nolan in that he could have been more positive and linked up with Jackson more... He certainly wasn't playing off him and being the creator. None of the new players looked bad though, they all showed glimpses of real quality that made you think that they could step up, and they will clearly all benefit from more time playing together...

The issue for me was that we didn't make it count in the last third, and the mistakes that we making that were letting Exeter get at us. They didn't create much that wasn't started by a loose pass from us in midfield that allowed them to break.

Blog: Why We Need a New Five-Year Plan

Question for those who were there last night on 09:46 - Aug 15 with 2014 viewshype313

Question for those who were there last night on 09:44 - Aug 15 by jpr_23

I thought that we were clearly the better team. At half time, thought that we had got a bit of lucky goal, but was expecting us to step up and take control of the game. Thought it was clear that the players are still getting used to each other and the system, and the misplaced passes were down to people not being on the same wavelength yet.

Think that the criticism from Hurst was aimed at the more established players such as Chambers, Knudsen, Ward and Sears who all seemed below par. The new players were certainly putting the effort in, and no-one could accuse Jackson off not putting a shift in. Was maybe a little disappointed with Nolan in that he could have been more positive and linked up with Jackson more... He certainly wasn't playing off him and being the creator. None of the new players looked bad though, they all showed glimpses of real quality that made you think that they could step up, and they will clearly all benefit from more time playing together...

The issue for me was that we didn't make it count in the last third, and the mistakes that we making that were letting Exeter get at us. They didn't create much that wasn't started by a loose pass from us in midfield that allowed them to break.

Sears and Ward should be worried about their futures under Hurst.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Question for those who were there last night on 09:47 - Aug 15 with 2019 viewsMullet

To namedrop, the venerable man from Bath texted me during the game and a lot of it was quite positive. I'm sure we will get an excellent write up later today.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Question for those who were there last night on 09:50 - Aug 15 with 2003 viewsZedRodgers

More than 50% of the players on the pitch were players who have never played in a cup competition for Ipswich before, so I think your theory is way off.

Even if the likes of Knudsen and co. weren't giving their all, there should have been a number of players out there looking to make a big impression last night against the type of opposition they are used to playing against.

No, not at the moment

Question for those who were there last night on 09:52 - Aug 15 with 1989 viewsjpr_23

Question for those who were there last night on 09:47 - Aug 15 by Mullet

To namedrop, the venerable man from Bath texted me during the game and a lot of it was quite positive. I'm sure we will get an excellent write up later today.

Got to meet the legend from Bath last night, what a lovely bloke!

Blog: Why We Need a New Five-Year Plan

Question for those who were there last night on 09:54 - Aug 15 with 1950 viewslmfcblue

Totally agree re penalty takers.
Question for those who were there last night on 09:56 - Aug 15 with 1928 viewsGuthrum

Question for those who were there last night on 09:46 - Aug 15 by hype313

Very probably. Those are among the players who will be key in executing attacking plans. And if they're not doing what they're supposed to, might have to be replaced.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Question for those who were there last night on 09:57 - Aug 15 with 1911 viewsSuperfrans

Question for those who were there last night on 09:50 - Aug 15 by ZedRodgers

More than 50% of the players on the pitch were players who have never played in a cup competition for Ipswich before, so I think your theory is way off.

Even if the likes of Knudsen and co. weren't giving their all, there should have been a number of players out there looking to make a big impression last night against the type of opposition they are used to playing against.

Point taken, yes I had thought that.

But our established players could easily have set the wrong mood. Plus, of course, the rest had mostly never been a "Goliath" team before - they would always have been the underdogs...

Question for those who were there last night on 10:00 - Aug 15 with 1881 viewsSwansea_Blue

Question for those who were there last night on 09:29 - Aug 15 by Steve_M

I think that’s highly likely. We’ve sold the first pair to make a difference for us in the final third for some time. Utter stupidity if you ask me, but if they wanted to go they had to go.

We saw how hard it was to find a replacement for Murph. And now we’re pinning our hopes on players untested at this level. It’s a big ask.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Question for those who were there last night on 10:10 - Aug 15 with 1827 viewsZedRodgers

Question for those who were there last night on 09:57 - Aug 15 by Superfrans

Point taken, yes I had thought that.

But our established players could easily have set the wrong mood. Plus, of course, the rest had mostly never been a "Goliath" team before - they would always have been the underdogs...

I do see your point. I think I would have hoped the newbies desire to get off the mark and make first impressions would have out-weighted the 'wrong mood' doubters.

Let's just hope the result will actually have a positive impact going into Saturday.

No, not at the moment

Question for those who were there last night on 10:24 - Aug 15 with 1736 viewshype313

Question for those who were there last night on 09:56 - Aug 15 by Guthrum

Very probably. Those are among the players who will be key in executing attacking plans. And if they're not doing what they're supposed to, might have to be replaced.

To be fair to Sears though, the playing on the flanks isn't playing to his strengths, however he has been in that position by default over the past few seasons, if he can't fire on all cylinders then I do expect him to moved on.

I think Ward has the potential, he has shown that he can be a weapon on the flanks, but it's more miss than hit with his performances.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Question for those who were there last night on 10:24 - Aug 15 with 1734 viewsPositivelyPortman

Question for those who were there last night on 09:46 - Aug 15 by hype313

I’d certainly add Chambers and Knudsen to that list too.

They’re both accidents waiting to happen.
Knudsen in particular seems incapable of passing the ball a few feet.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024