Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An "I like Paul Hurst, but..." post 09:23 - Aug 15 with 545 viewsthebooks

The interview after last night's match was certainly honest and didn't pull any punches. I hear we're playing some decent stuff so am about to pull the trigger on buying season tickets for me and my kids, but...

This *could* go wrong. Obviously, we're only 3 games in, these things take time etc. etc... it's not the results I'm worried about.

I'm interested(?) to see how this management style will pan out. It's hard to disagree with statements about playing for the shirt, showing professional pride blah blah, but will this wash with some of our more experienced players? I can see how it works with a small squad of underdogs like Shrewsbury, where the players are overachieving. But we have – and need – a mix of players, including some who have relatively high level experience. I don't think we can get by on a squad of "young and hungry" lower league buys.

I'm a tiny bit worried this could be a Paul Sturrock at Southampton type situation (albeit that involved Rupert Lowe) He did wonders with Plymouth, but his approach just didn't wash with the Southampton players.

I do think Hurst was a good choice – he's smart and obviously has a clear sense of how things should be. It's also worth remembering he's operating on a relatively tiny budget, so this is a challenging job for any manager.

An "I like Paul Hurst, but..." post on 10:13 - Aug 15 with 467 viewsEatonBlue

Paul Hurst is in a similar position to the young Bobby Robson in his first full season (1969-70). That season we took just one point from the first seven games. It was not long before Bobby had to assert his authority with some of the senior players. The rest is history.
An "I like Paul Hurst, but..." post on 10:19 - Aug 15 with 435 viewstractorshark

An "I like Paul Hurst, but..." post on 10:13 - Aug 15 by EatonBlue

Paul Hurst is in a similar position to the young Bobby Robson in his first full season (1969-70). That season we took just one point from the first seven games. It was not long before Bobby had to assert his authority with some of the senior players. The rest is history.

I hope you’re right.
Or, playing devil’s advocate, he could be a John Duncan - a young manager, who shone in the third tier but struggled to make the step up.
But I hope you’re right!!!
An "I like Paul Hurst, but..." post on 10:24 - Aug 15 with 408 viewsthebooks

An "I like Paul Hurst, but..." post on 10:13 - Aug 15 by EatonBlue

Yeah, was it Billy Baxter being a pain, and SBR having to lay down the law?

Not sure if this is a similar situation – I don't get the impression that any of the older pros are anything but professional – but I'd love that outcome :-)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024