Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you really have faith in Evans? 09:24 - May 24 with 3648 viewstractorshark

I think people are being very kind on Evans.
We’re all assuming it’s now Hurst but there’s no guarantee he will come here.
I said at the start I have very little faith in Evans making the right appointment and I’m no more convinced now.
Evans’ track record with major decisions at this club has been poor for a man who is clearly very successful in business.
Unfortunately the football world and the business world are very different. Managers are snapped up as quick as they are sacked - we are not a club who can dictate terms and then assume the applicants will wait around for us to make a decision.
The Derby situation has now thrown another spanner in the works.
A lot of people are saying sod Jack Ross if he doesn’t want to come here but no one knows if we offered him the job.
If he thinks Hurst is first choice, he’s entitled to look elsewhere.
I would be happy with Hurst or Ross.
But my worry is Evans will talk to Hurst (I would like to think he already has) fail to agree terms, find Ross has gone to Sunderland and settle on a Sherwood etc.
Like I say, it’s all very well stating Evans knows what he’s doing and won’t be rushed but do you truly believe that?
The evidence in the past is not exactly convincing.
I truly hope I’m wrong.

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:35 - May 24 with 3613 viewsNo9

Should we have faith in Mr Evans is answered by the amount of money he has put into the club to ensure football @ PR and to keep the creditors at bay.

The concern has to be about the competence around him & those who provide advice.
Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:39 - May 24 with 3609 viewsDanFord

In a world full of Pardew's, McClaren's, Holloway's and Megson's, we understand that it was a straight choice between Ross and Hurst, the two stand out young managers in England and Scotland, plus the likes of Lampard and Parker. That alone is comprehensive evidence that Evans understands exactly what we need moving forward.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:40 - May 24 with 3601 viewsGuthrum

What are Evans' actual poor decisions for the club? Not as many as you are suggesting.

Hiring Keane to replace Magilton, then giving him too much leeway to alter the fabric of the club. Which was all quite early in his time.

Not spending in January 2015. But some of that may well have been down to McCarthy not thinking there was anyone much worth buying.

Lack of regular communication with the fans.

The not very tidy situation surrounding McCarthy's departure. Created a bit of bad atmosphere, but little real harm.

Not a lot else he's really done wrong, unless you demand massive spending on transfers as a baseline of good football club ownership.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:42 - May 24 with 3591 viewsSaigonTractor

I think he's one of the most competent owners in the league. Aside a lack of investment and the shambles that is ticket prices I think he deserves our trust.

As has been said the fact that Pardew/Megson etc are nowhere near the job tells me he's conducted a good search.
Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:58 - May 24 with 3569 viewsLeoMuff

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:39 - May 24 by DanFord

In a world full of Pardew's, McClaren's, Holloway's and Megson's, we understand that it was a straight choice between Ross and Hurst, the two stand out young managers in England and Scotland, plus the likes of Lampard and Parker. That alone is comprehensive evidence that Evans understands exactly what we need moving forward.

I think he understands what we need but can he get it done ? Not overly convinced he will.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:59 - May 24 with 3570 viewstrncbluearmy

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:40 - May 24 by Guthrum

What are Evans' actual poor decisions for the club? Not as many as you are suggesting.

Hiring Keane to replace Magilton, then giving him too much leeway to alter the fabric of the club. Which was all quite early in his time.

Not spending in January 2015. But some of that may well have been down to McCarthy not thinking there was anyone much worth buying.

The not very tidy situation surrounding McCarthy's departure. Created a bit of bad atmosphere, but little real harm.

Not a lot else he's really done wrong, unless you demand massive spending on transfers as a baseline of good football club ownership.

Is that not enough?,
all big decisions, fecked up,
you can add increasing season ticket prices,not utlising the experience at his disposal when buying the club,not sacking PJ quick enough,employing football numpties in senior positions,allowing beano to get rid of Klug, the list is endless and now this.

Which if he had a track record of getting it right previously might make people have a bit more faith he`s got it right this time
Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:05 - May 24 with 3546 viewsWeirdFishes

I think he knows what he wants to do, but I don’t have faith in his methods of doing so and actually getting it done.

Hope he proves me wrong though.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:09 - May 24 with 3539 viewstractorshark

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:40 - May 24 by Guthrum

You can add Paul Jewell, Simon Clegg, millions spent over the past decade with very little progress.
Millions spent on players, who then walked away for nothing.
I don’t believe Evans is a bad owner (he’s not the guy at Hull, Coventry or Charlton). And I agree he has been poorly advised but, ultimately, he makes or approves those decisions. And a lot of them have been shocking.
If you asked Evans, himself, if he had the chance to turn back time, would he still invest in Ipswich Town, I suspect we all know the answer.
He’s not committed to assuring the club’s success, he’s committed to protecting his investment until such time when he can sell.
If he was truly committed to the dream of the Premier League, he’d be shopping in Waitrose not Lidl.
I’m not blaming him for that, he’s spent his money and doesn’t want to commit more. Fair enough, the game is financially crazy right now.
I’m just questioning whether, having identified two bright prospects, has he got the competence or the will to deliver one of those as manager?
Login to get fewer ads

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:11 - May 24 with 3527 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:39 - May 24 by DanFord

We don't have the faintest idea who was or is on his shortlist and nor do I think we are the only ones who will be in for Hurst.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:12 - May 24 with 3523 viewsbraveblue

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:35 - May 24 by No9

Should we have faith in Mr Evans is answered by the amount of money he has put into the club to ensure football @ PR and to keep the creditors at bay.

The concern has to be about the competence around him & those who provide advice.

Yes. He has made some great appointments at M.D. and manager level!!!
Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:13 - May 24 with 3514 viewsGuthrum

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:59 - May 24 by trncbluearmy

Is that not enough?,
all big decisions, fecked up,
you can add increasing season ticket prices,not utlising the experience at his disposal when buying the club,not sacking PJ quick enough,employing football numpties in senior positions,allowing beano to get rid of Klug, the list is endless and now this.

Which if he had a track record of getting it right previously might make people have a bit more faith he`s got it right this time

Not that many over a 10-year period (a lot of large businesses have made far more damaging mistakes in shorter timeframes).

The season ticket debacle I agree and the removal of Klug was part of my first point. But the rest not. Clegg/Milne were not appointed in football positions, therefore din't need that knowlege. Jewell was sacked in plenty of time to save us from relegation.

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:15 - May 24 with 3509 viewsOsborneOneNil

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 09:58 - May 24 by LeoMuff

I think he understands what we need but can he get it done ? Not overly convinced he will.

That is the point, exactly. He knows, but is he going to get it done. If Hurst arrives as boss then hats off. If he doesn't, I fear who we will end up with.
Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:17 - May 24 with 3504 viewswkj

We can't judge Evans on presumptions, The whole Jack Ross saga was blown up into epic proportions and the hype train went full speed ahead, when the consistent message has been Ross has impressed Evans, but Evans wants to at least speak to Hurst before making a decision. Ross is entitled to look elsewhere and has no obligation to ITFC, and Evans has no obligation to take account for the media/fan hysteria around Jack Ross.

The only things I can levy a black mark at Evans is for his decision not to roll the dice during the January transfer window when we were second (although had the dice been rolled and we still failed the club would have been in a potentially sticky situation). His lack of communication/involvement with the fan base, and the 2017/2018 season ticket debacle / senior age raise.

We could do a lot worse

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:18 - May 24 with 3502 viewstractorshark

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:13 - May 24 by Guthrum

Not that many over a 10-year period (a lot of large businesses have made far more damaging mistakes in shorter timeframes).

The season ticket debacle I agree and the removal of Klug was part of my first point. But the rest not. Clegg/Milne were not appointed in football positions, therefore din't need that knowlege. Jewell was sacked in plenty of time to save us from relegation.

Clegg and Milne were/are running a football club. They need some semblance of football knowledge.
Do you think Levy and Gazidis haven’t got a clue?
Clegg was an appalling appointment. He admitted himself it took him a year to work out how football operates.
Like Keane, Clegg was a sexy appointment on the back of the Olympics, guaranteed to attract media interest.
In reality, both were monumental cock-ups by Evans.
[Post edited 24 May 2018 10:22]
Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:22 - May 24 with 3492 viewstractorshark

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:15 - May 24 by OsborneOneNil

That is the point, exactly. He knows, but is he going to get it done. If Hurst arrives as boss then hats off. If he doesn't, I fear who we will end up with.

Exactly how I feel.
I’m not criticising Evans as an owner, I’m questioning his decisions as an owner.
He has identified two promising applicants (there are no guarantees of course) and I will applaud him if he appoints one of those.
But I just starting to get twitchy that it’s all going to unravel.
Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:22 - May 24 with 3489 viewsGuthrum

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:09 - May 24 by tractorshark

You can add Paul Jewell, Simon Clegg, millions spent over the past decade with very little progress.
Millions spent on players, who then walked away for nothing.
I don’t believe Evans is a bad owner (he’s not the guy at Hull, Coventry or Charlton). And I agree he has been poorly advised but, ultimately, he makes or approves those decisions. And a lot of them have been shocking.
If you asked Evans, himself, if he had the chance to turn back time, would he still invest in Ipswich Town, I suspect we all know the answer.
He’s not committed to assuring the club’s success, he’s committed to protecting his investment until such time when he can sell.
If he was truly committed to the dream of the Premier League, he’d be shopping in Waitrose not Lidl.
I’m not blaming him for that, he’s spent his money and doesn’t want to commit more. Fair enough, the game is financially crazy right now.
I’m just questioning whether, having identified two bright prospects, has he got the competence or the will to deliver one of those as manager?

Jewell and Clegg (in an administration, not a footballing position) were not really mistakes, just didn't work out. Same with a lot of the players who left. Or they were unwise purchases by the manager (who, after all, is the senior football expert at the club).

With the way the division's finances are at the moment, shopping in Waitrose is not enough. You have to go to garish, horrible Harrods and pay well over the odds for rubbish - when you're just as likely to find something nice at Aldi.

Ross and Hurst are bright prospects, yes. But are they the right prospects, for Ipswich, now?

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:29 - May 24 with 3467 viewstractorshark

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:22 - May 24 by Guthrum

Jewell and Clegg (in an administration, not a footballing position) were not really mistakes, just didn't work out. Same with a lot of the players who left. Or they were unwise purchases by the manager (who, after all, is the senior football expert at the club).

With the way the division's finances are at the moment, shopping in Waitrose is not enough. You have to go to garish, horrible Harrods and pay well over the odds for rubbish - when you're just as likely to find something nice at Aldi.

Ross and Hurst are bright prospects, yes. But are they the right prospects, for Ipswich, now?

I disagree over Jewell and Clegg.
Jewell’s reign was farcical by the end and revolved around convincing Evans to sign old has-beens on ridiculous wages.
Look at the squad McCarthy inherited. Very little quality and a whole heap of loans.
Evans sanctioned those deals.
But I do agree there is no guarantee that Hurst or Ross will be a success.
That said, it’s time for something different and they offer that.
I said at the start I’d like to see Nathan Jones or Hurst. I’m hoping that Evans has always been holding out for Hurst and this delay is just down to Shrewsbury's Playoff commitments.
If that’s the case, I’ll eat humble pie and tip my hat to Mr Evans.
[Post edited 24 May 2018 10:30]
Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:32 - May 24 with 3456 viewsGuthrum

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:18 - May 24 by tractorshark

Clegg and Milne were/are running a football club. They need some semblance of football knowledge.
Do you think Levy and Gazidis haven’t got a clue?
Clegg was an appalling appointment. He admitted himself it took him a year to work out how football operates.
Like Keane, Clegg was a sexy appointment on the back of the Olympics, guaranteed to attract media interest.
In reality, both were monumental cock-ups by Evans.
[Post edited 24 May 2018 10:22]

They're running the admin side of a football club. They need no real knowlege of tactics, style of play or transfers. That stuff is not in their job description. The Manager runs the football side of the operation, reporting directly to the Owner, not through the MD.

Levy and Gazidis are not doing the same job as Clegg/Milne, their positions being more analogous to Evans himself.

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:34 - May 24 with 3444 viewsOsborneOneNil

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:22 - May 24 by tractorshark

Exactly how I feel.
I’m not criticising Evans as an owner, I’m questioning his decisions as an owner.
He has identified two promising applicants (there are no guarantees of course) and I will applaud him if he appoints one of those.
But I just starting to get twitchy that it’s all going to unravel.

Unfortunately I now feel it would be a surprise if we got Hurst......and no surprise if we didn't.

[Try to think positive]
Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:41 - May 24 with 3434 viewsitfcjoe

It seems very high stakes now.

If we don't get Hurst then the recruitment process has been a shocker.

If we do then he is first choice and all is ok.

It's a worry - but end result is all that will be looked upon. If Hurst is appointed no-one will ever know if he was number 1, if he was secured early and if it was a fait accompli.

If we don't secure him and end up with someone like Scott Parker, the decision may work but the extra 3-4 weeks we've had to wait to find out it isn't Hurst will be a real poor move for Parker or AN Other who could have been planning for next season

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:48 - May 24 with 3405 viewsSwansea_Blue

I agree with a lot of that, and no I don't have a lot of faith that he'll make good decision.

But, my views aren't based on the current manager search. Let's wait until it's done before drawing any conclusions. It may be Hurst and he may be 100% coming. ME may be perfectly in control of this. Or he may not. Let's just wait and see.

Of course this is only the start too. We won't be able to judge ME just on his recruitment process. Let's wait and see whether this appointment (whoever it is) is actually a success or not - that's the important bit. Another PJ or Keane and we're fecked. Alternatively the new manager could also be the making of us.

It all takes time to come out in the wash.

He's on about a 5 or 6/10 for me at the moment.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:49 - May 24 with 3405 viewswkj

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:41 - May 24 by itfcjoe

It seems very high stakes now.

If we don't get Hurst then the recruitment process has been a shocker.

If we do then he is first choice and all is ok.

It's a worry - but end result is all that will be looked upon. If Hurst is appointed no-one will ever know if he was number 1, if he was secured early and if it was a fait accompli.

If we don't secure him and end up with someone like Scott Parker, the decision may work but the extra 3-4 weeks we've had to wait to find out it isn't Hurst will be a real poor move for Parker or AN Other who could have been planning for next season

We're basing our assumptions on paper talk, nothing more nothing less. We've let our hopes and hype overrule our heads, so we can't and shouldn't assume Ross was close to Evans' #1 choice, if he was, terms would have been offered, they weren't (as far as we know) so he wasn't. If was assume Hurst is Evans' number one (again, paper talk and speculation) and we do not get his services, then down the shortlist we go, until we reach a candidate, if the next in line isn't available, c'est la vie. By the sounds of it Evans has a shortlist and his candidates are ranked, and Hurst is the final stop on Evans' recruitment drive.
[Post edited 24 May 2018 10:51]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:50 - May 24 with 3403 viewstractorshark

Do you really have faith in Evans? on 10:32 - May 24 by Guthrum

They're running the admin side of a football club. They need no real knowlege of tactics, style of play or transfers. That stuff is not in their job description. The Manager runs the football side of the operation, reporting directly to the Owner, not through the MD.

Levy and Gazidis are not doing the same job as Clegg/Milne, their positions being more analogous to Evans himself.

So why was Clegg negotiating transfers during Keane and Jewell’s reign?
Charlie Austin, Shaun Derry spring to mind.
It only stopped because McCarthy and Evans agreed to sort it between themselves.
I’m not suggesting the M.D. needs to be tactically aware but they do need a knowledge of how a football club operates. It is completely different (and irrational) compared to any other business.
But I’ll agree to disagree on Clegg.
You don’t think he was a mistake, fair enough.
In my opinion, I think he was a expensive error.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024