Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? 11:57 - Mar 15 with 21941 viewsFixed_It

He's having a tough time at the moment. He's not perfect, but then not many of us are (Keno obviously is, but apart from him...).
He seems to be getting the brunt of the frustrations brought about by 16 years in the Championship, and some of the abuse is totally OTT and, in some cases, unnecessarily personal.
Let's not forget:
1. He saved us from near certain relegation when he first joined.
2. He took us on when many wouldn't have touched us with a barge pole.
3. He took us nearer to promotion than either of his two predecessors.
4. He is operating under a very strict/restrictive budget.
5. He has had truly awful luck with injuries this season.
6. He has the total support of the players, despite the current woes on the field.
7. He is widely respected throughout the game - and many others look on enviously at his record, and are a little perplexed at the stick he is getting.
8. We are NOT in a relegation battle!
9. He is not Roy Keane.

Whatever his faults are, he seems like a pretty decent human-being. Some people should do well to remember that.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2018 12:00]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 11:59 - Mar 15 with 7428 viewsBluebell

I wanted to give him a hug after the last press conference.

He looked so miserable.
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:04 - Mar 15 with 7398 viewsFrimleyBlue

He's having a tough time at the moment. He's not perfect, but then not many of us are (Keno obviously is, but apart from him...).
He seems to be getting the brunt of the frustrations brought about by 16 years in the Championship, and some of the abuse is totally OTT and, in some cases, unnecessarily personal.
Let's not forget:
That was 5 years ago, sorry but has no effect on now

how do you know?
once
Doesn't make his decisions justifiable in my opinion
Luck or 1 - the injury proneness of the players, hes brought a lot in of those
6. He has the total support of the players, despite the current woes on the field.
they're scared shtless of someone coming in and getting rid of them onto the scrapheap
7. He is widely respected throughout the game - and many others look on enviously at his record, and are a little perplexed at the stick he is getting.
They don't have to watch it
Yet
9. He is not Roy Keane.
Keane never told the fans to fk off

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:05 - Mar 15 with 7396 viewsKieran_Knows

I do and I don't.

I do because he has to work under and alongside Evans and Milne.

I don't because he has not helped himself one bit with regards to comments he has made in the press.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:06 - Mar 15 with 7381 viewsSuperfrans

I think you'll find a lot of our fans have some sympathy with him.

It's true that he hasn't handled the falling out with some of our fans very well. But our league position hasn't been terrible this season, even now - and we've had to contend with a terrible run of injuries which have negatively impacted on our performances, especially recently.

If he does leave between now and the summer, I'll personally be grateful for a lot of what he has done for us through a difficult period for the club - and will feel we have a decent squad of players to build on (notwithstanding the few key players who are out of contract).

History will reflect on his tenure far more positively than many of our fans currently do, I suspect.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:06 - Mar 15 with 7380 viewsSwn98

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:04 - Mar 15 by FrimleyBlue

Let's not forget:

how do you know?
once
they're scared shtless of someone coming in and getting rid of them onto the scrapheap
Yet
9. He is not Roy Keane.

Keane on many occasions confronted fans on the way back to the tunnel the last time was the match before he departed.
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:06 - Mar 15 with 7380 viewschristiand

It certainly can't be an easy environment for him to work in and that must add to the pressure he is under. However, he is paid handsomely and the style of play, tactics and team selections are all his own doing. So 'yes' to a point, but it is still time for him to move on for us and for him for his own sanity. The damage that has been done towards the supporters is not repairable in my view!
[Post edited 15 Mar 2018 12:12]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:11 - Mar 15 with 7366 viewsFrimleyBlue

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:06 - Mar 15 by Swn98

Keane on many occasions confronted fans on the way back to the tunnel the last time was the match before he departed.

direct confrontation I admire

general fk off in the direction to all away fans I find disgraceful and on tv too.

we've now had 2 headlines, one being him telling fans to fk off, the other is how he made players stand on centre circle.

it's a circus just like it got under keane

Waka waka eh eh

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:11 - Mar 15 with 7362 viewsFixed_It

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:04 - Mar 15 by FrimleyBlue

Let's not forget:

how do you know?
once
Yet
9. He is not Roy Keane.

I take it from this that you are one of the ones who feel that the abuse is justified? Oh well...

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Login to get fewer ads

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:12 - Mar 15 with 7352 viewsFrimleyBlue

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:11 - Mar 15 by Fixed_It

I take it from this that you are one of the ones who feel that the abuse is justified? Oh well...

What abuse?

Waka waka eh eh

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:13 - Mar 15 with 7350 viewsSwn98

Make you 100% correct the key board warriors of the news site never look at the full picture, it will be very interesting to see the reaction when the change of manager produces the same if not worse results their will be some blubbing then as well as having to be digested with humble pie.
Personally think Mick should be given some funds get the squad fit and give him till January if nothing changes he can move on.
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:14 - Mar 15 with 7340 viewsFixed_It

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:11 - Mar 15 by FrimleyBlue

general fk off in the direction to all away fans I find disgraceful and on tv too.

we've now had 2 headlines, one being him telling fans to fk off, the other is how he made players stand on centre circle.

First one - passion and in the heat of the moment. And I don't blame him for it - because those chanting that stuff in front of our rivals with the match in the balance totally deserved it!
Second one - can't see what the fuss is about. Backs-to-the-wall man-management.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:18 - Mar 15 with 7322 viewsFrimleyBlue

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:13 - Mar 15 by Swn98

Make you 100% correct the key board warriors of the news site never look at the full picture, it will be very interesting to see the reaction when the change of manager produces the same if not worse results their will be some blubbing then as well as having to be digested with humble pie.
Personally think Mick should be given some funds get the squad fit and give him till January if nothing changes he can move on.

Reportedly Micks spent over £3.5 Mill on 3 player loanees in 3 years, let alone the other loan fees

what makes you think having more money would make a difference?

Waka waka eh eh

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:18 - Mar 15 with 7327 viewsBobbychase

The Sky Sports News reporter summed it up for me the other night when they showed the footage of the huddle on the pitch post-Hull. He said something along the lines of how it looked like the famous Phil Brown incident at the Etihad but it was odd because "Ipswich have won two of their last three games".

Our last four games - won two, drawn one, lost one. But read the forums and you'd think we were in Sunderland's position.

Amen to the point about the players - we shouldn't underestimate how important it is to have a unified dressing room, or take it for granted. We all know what a divided dressing room looks like and for all the bedwetting nostalgists wanting Burley back, have a think about how it fell apart in the 2001-002 season.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:20 - Mar 15 with 7300 viewsGodBlue

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:05 - Mar 15 by Kieran_Knows

I do and I don't.

I don't because he has not helped himself one bit with regards to comments he has made in the press.

This.

I did feel a bit sorry for him, right up until the pre-Hull press conference, which is when I think he really started to show signs of coming apart at the seams.

It's a shame, because of all of the good he's done for us on a shoestring and the bad luck he's had with injuries over time.

I genuinely hope his overall contribution doesn't end up being tainted by the last few months of his tenure (whenever they may be). But it seems that it's fast getting to a point where his simply being here is probably causing more harm than good, on and off the field at the moment.

So the best course of action for everyone right now is for him to leave... right now. I don't see how a caretaker for two months is going to cause more issues than he looks likely to by staying.

My main concern is that he's just going to spend the next two months consciously antagonising the media and the fans, which is only going to make the whole situation worse for everyone. I can't imagine many potential employers are looking at him thinking "ah yeah, Mick's the guy we need next season to make us challengers and to really galvanise our fan base".

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:22 - Mar 15 with 7286 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:18 - Mar 15 by FrimleyBlue

Reportedly Micks spent over £3.5 Mill on 3 player loanees in 3 years, let alone the other loan fees

1) reportedly according to whom?

And

2) £3.5m over 3 years is f*ck all at this level, quite frankly

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:23 - Mar 15 with 7275 viewsBobbychase

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:06 - Mar 15 by Superfrans

I think you'll find a lot of our fans have some sympathy with him.

It's true that he hasn't handled the falling out with some of our fans very well. But our league position hasn't been terrible this season, even now - and we've had to contend with a terrible run of injuries which have negatively impacted on our performances, especially recently.

If he does leave between now and the summer, I'll personally be grateful for a lot of what he has done for us through a difficult period for the club - and will feel we have a decent squad of players to build on (notwithstanding the few key players who are out of contract).

History will reflect on his tenure far more positively than many of our fans currently do, I suspect.

Whatever your view of the football at the moment, he deserves much better treatment.

Crocked for all, or most, of this season: Dozzell, Bishop, Huws, Adeyemi.
Looked sensational then got crocked: Carayol

We really have been handed some terrible 'luck' with injuries this season.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:23 - Mar 15 with 7273 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:05 - Mar 15 by Kieran_Knows

I do and I don't.

Yeah, pretty much spot on with that

I think the style would have grated anyway but he certainly hasn’t helped himself

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:23 - Mar 15 with 7268 viewsSwn98

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:11 - Mar 15 by FrimleyBlue

Snowflake
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:26 - Mar 15 with 7257 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:20 - Mar 15 by GodBlue

This.

I did feel a bit sorry for him, right up until the pre-Hull press conference, which is when I think he really started to show signs of coming apart at the seams.

It's a shame, because of all of the good he's done for us on a shoestring and the bad luck he's had with injuries over time.

I genuinely hope his overall contribution doesn't end up being tainted by the last few months of his tenure (whenever they may be). But it seems that it's fast getting to a point where his simply being here is probably causing more harm than good, on and off the field at the moment.

So the best course of action for everyone right now is for him to leave... right now. I don't see how a caretaker for two months is going to cause more issues than he looks likely to by staying.

My main concern is that he's just going to spend the next two months consciously antagonising the media and the fans, which is only going to make the whole situation worse for everyone. I can't imagine many potential employers are looking at him thinking "ah yeah, Mick's the guy we need next season to make us challengers and to really galvanise our fan base".

Yeah agree. Think results would likely be worse in the short term than if he stays but we’re in no danger of going down and the atmosphere around the club is awful

It’s time (cue 3 match winning run)
[Post edited 15 Mar 2018 12:26]

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:26 - Mar 15 with 7253 viewsFrimleyBlue

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:22 - Mar 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

1) reportedly according to whom?

And

2) £3.5m over 3 years is f*ck all at this level, quite frankly

not really when you add in the salaries etc if the media are right over the seasons, you're at least looking at around a total of £5-6 Mill on loanees let alone free market salaries and numerous increased player salaries. Its not all about transfer fees.

Waka waka eh eh

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:27 - Mar 15 with 7238 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:26 - Mar 15 by FrimleyBlue

not really when you add in the salaries etc if the media are right over the seasons, you're at least looking at around a total of £5-6 Mill on loanees let alone free market salaries and numerous increased player salaries. Its not all about transfer fees.

Sorry - my mistake, I neglected that had we instead bought someone for £3.5m we wouldn’t have to actually pay them wages aswell

It’s f*ck all
[Post edited 15 Mar 2018 12:27]

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:29 - Mar 15 with 7226 viewsKieran_Knows

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:26 - Mar 15 by FrimleyBlue

It's quite obvious the little money we have could have been used better (whether that's actual fees, wages or loan fees), but the fact is, the division has moved on so much in terms of finance, that what we do offer, is relatively pittance these days.*

* by that, I mean look at Villa, John Terry on 60k a week. Jedinak, Hogan and Kodija on (apparent) 25k a week wages.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:29 - Mar 15 with 7228 viewsGarv

There are counter arguments to almost all those. I'm obviously not going to contradict you on all of them but a few points.

The fact he is well respected is irrelevant, those people who are envious most likely don't watch us week in week out.

He did a brilliant job in 2012-13 but its not out of the question to think someone else could have kept us up. We were what, less than a third of the way into the season? That's not taking it away from him because he did it particularly well and got us to 14th but we weren't dead and buried (albeit we still needed to get rid of PJ).

Bottom line is people are bored beyond belief, and have been for two or three years (and before that if we're honest). What's the point in watching football if it isn't entertaining?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:31 - Mar 15 with 7205 viewsSwn98

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:18 - Mar 15 by FrimleyBlue

3.5 million is pocket money im talking about 20 million plus give the man a chance to compete.
If he goes and the new incumbent gets the same amount as Mick can't see that much will change apart from us possibly playing a different style of football and getting thumped every match.
If Mick goes and the new manager gets significant investment i for one will be sending my season ticket of 45 years back.
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:33 - Mar 15 with 7173 viewsFrimleyBlue

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 12:31 - Mar 15 by Swn98

3.5 million is pocket money im talking about 20 million plus give the man a chance to compete.
If he goes and the new incumbent gets the same amount as Mick can't see that much will change apart from us possibly playing a different style of football and getting thumped every match.
If Mick goes and the new manager gets significant investment i for one will be sending my season ticket of 45 years back.

Lol 20 mill

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024