Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? 11:57 - Mar 15 with 21986 viewsFixed_It

He's having a tough time at the moment. He's not perfect, but then not many of us are (Keno obviously is, but apart from him...).
He seems to be getting the brunt of the frustrations brought about by 16 years in the Championship, and some of the abuse is totally OTT and, in some cases, unnecessarily personal.
Let's not forget:
1. He saved us from near certain relegation when he first joined.
2. He took us on when many wouldn't have touched us with a barge pole.
3. He took us nearer to promotion than either of his two predecessors.
4. He is operating under a very strict/restrictive budget.
5. He has had truly awful luck with injuries this season.
6. He has the total support of the players, despite the current woes on the field.
7. He is widely respected throughout the game - and many others look on enviously at his record, and are a little perplexed at the stick he is getting.
8. We are NOT in a relegation battle!
9. He is not Roy Keane.

Whatever his faults are, he seems like a pretty decent human-being. Some people should do well to remember that.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2018 12:00]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 21:17 - Mar 18 with 1302 viewsSuperfrans

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 16:31 - Mar 18 by Garv

You make it sound like that's what it should take for someone to speak up.

We were 13 games in when Jewell left, we weren't staring league one in the face.

We were bottom of the division, with 7 points from from 13 games, 5 points from 4th bottom.
We had lost 4 games in a row, had got 3 draws & 9 defeats in our previous 12 matches.

We then got 53 points from our remaining 33 league matches. That’s 1.6 points a match, equivalent to 74 points over a full season - which would have been third place in that season.

In that final season under Jewell we were going down. The form we showed in that season, after McCarthy joined was remarkable.

I know that’s 6 years ago now and I know the football has not been great recently, but let’s not be revisionist about it.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 22:35 - Mar 18 with 1269 viewssundaze

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 21:17 - Mar 18 by Superfrans

We were bottom of the division, with 7 points from from 13 games, 5 points from 4th bottom.
We had lost 4 games in a row, had got 3 draws & 9 defeats in our previous 12 matches.

We then got 53 points from our remaining 33 league matches. That’s 1.6 points a match, equivalent to 74 points over a full season - which would have been third place in that season.

In that final season under Jewell we were going down. The form we showed in that season, after McCarthy joined was remarkable.

I know that’s 6 years ago now and I know the football has not been great recently, but let’s not be revisionist about it.

That's what he's good at, just like Allardyce, Pulis and Hodgson. They are the trouble shooters, give them a call when a club's in the mire and they turn up to sort out the mess.
That's as far as it goes though, football has moved on very quickly and these old school managers have only one way of playing and they are not likely to change or listen to others.
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 22:10 - Mar 19 with 1209 viewsOxford_Blue

Agreed.

But we are talking about lowest common denominator football fans here, most of whom are not that well educated or very bright, and who see things simplistically. They get frustrated when the team doesn’t do well and think it’s acceptable to hurl gratuitous abuse at the manager.
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:24 - Mar 20 with 1173 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 22:35 - Mar 18 by sundaze

That's what he's good at, just like Allardyce, Pulis and Hodgson. They are the trouble shooters, give them a call when a club's in the mire and they turn up to sort out the mess.
That's as far as it goes though, football has moved on very quickly and these old school managers have only one way of playing and they are not likely to change or listen to others.

Before joining us, McCarthy had never been employed to save a club from relegation (he took the Sunderland job when they were bottom of the Premier League but they were already long doomed by then - the appointment was with an eye to getting them back up)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:42 - Mar 20 with 1165 viewsBenters2

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 22:10 - Mar 19 by Oxford_Blue

Agreed.

But we are talking about lowest common denominator football fans here, most of whom are not that well educated or very bright, and who see things simplistically. They get frustrated when the team doesn’t do well and think it’s acceptable to hurl gratuitous abuse at the manager.

Do you mind if i ask what is it like to be so great?

We are talking about football here,have you thought of following chess if the crowds upset you?

As Paul Calf said 'they say oh David Beckham he's not very clever, yeah 'they dont say Stephen Hawking sh1t at football'.

Football used to be a game for the peasants,a get together,a piss up,now its full of University Challenge type square heads.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024