Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? 11:57 - Mar 15 with 21985 viewsFixed_It

He's having a tough time at the moment. He's not perfect, but then not many of us are (Keno obviously is, but apart from him...).
He seems to be getting the brunt of the frustrations brought about by 16 years in the Championship, and some of the abuse is totally OTT and, in some cases, unnecessarily personal.
Let's not forget:
1. He saved us from near certain relegation when he first joined.
2. He took us on when many wouldn't have touched us with a barge pole.
3. He took us nearer to promotion than either of his two predecessors.
4. He is operating under a very strict/restrictive budget.
5. He has had truly awful luck with injuries this season.
6. He has the total support of the players, despite the current woes on the field.
7. He is widely respected throughout the game - and many others look on enviously at his record, and are a little perplexed at the stick he is getting.
8. We are NOT in a relegation battle!
9. He is not Roy Keane.

Whatever his faults are, he seems like a pretty decent human-being. Some people should do well to remember that.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2018 12:00]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 02:29 - Mar 16 with 4199 viewsitfcjoe

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 21:09 - Mar 15 by Johnny_Boy

Have a look again at the table.

16. WBA 29pts
15. Villa 28pts
16. QPR 21pts
17. Blackburn 21pts
18. Wolves 21pts
19. Bolton 20pts
20. Wigan 19pts

The 5 bottom teams were ALL adrift by February.

A third of the season remained & poor old TC could muster another 4pts till the season ended - with the squad he inherited.

Mick didn't resign. He was sacked. Maybe he should have resigned sooner. Again. Reiterating my point.

Your point is an absolute shambles though, it makes no sense and has proven to be made up rubbish.

Last time I checked 3 teams went down, so being adrift as a bottom 5, whilst not ideal isa hardly a death sentence.

Connor’s record as his replacement is irrelevant really, it almost makes the point that had Mick resigned earlier they’d have been even more comprehensively relegated

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 04:18 - Mar 16 with 4177 viewspowinswitch

Yes I do feel sorry for him, as I am very grateful for him saving us from relegation, and stabilising the club. There is a lot positive about Mick. We have a significantly better squad than he inherited.

It is the style of football that he plays that is the issue for me. It is mind numbingly dull. I don5 mind his telling the fans to F off. Football is an emotional game, and he was only replying to what he gets.

But all in all he should have been shown the door 14 months ago, when his overly negative approach to games was already causing significant unrest. It has now reached an entirely unhealthy level, and I fear for the long term future of the club. That is mostly Evans fault, but he dis not the one who selects a defensive team, or has a shocking PR relationship with the fans, cos he hides behind others (McCarthy and Milne) who have a terrible relationship with the supporters.
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 04:43 - Mar 16 with 4164 viewsBenters2

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 04:18 - Mar 16 by powinswitch

Yes I do feel sorry for him, as I am very grateful for him saving us from relegation, and stabilising the club. There is a lot positive about Mick. We have a significantly better squad than he inherited.

It is the style of football that he plays that is the issue for me. It is mind numbingly dull. I don5 mind his telling the fans to F off. Football is an emotional game, and he was only replying to what he gets.

But all in all he should have been shown the door 14 months ago, when his overly negative approach to games was already causing significant unrest. It has now reached an entirely unhealthy level, and I fear for the long term future of the club. That is mostly Evans fault, but he dis not the one who selects a defensive team, or has a shocking PR relationship with the fans, cos he hides behind others (McCarthy and Milne) who have a terrible relationship with the supporters.

Have a uppie for the last two paragraphs.
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 04:49 - Mar 16 with 4162 viewshorsehollerer

The two things I worry about that I think we've taken for granted for the past few years:

1. He got rid of all the tossers pretty quickly and for 5 years we've had nothing but great characters in the team (aside from Leon Best who he sort of hid away for few months anyway!). Little wonder the team spirit has always been top notch. It wasn't like that before he arrived. Think of all the bad influences we had: Bowyer, Chopra, Taylor, Bullard etc.

2. MM's ability to bring in players, quickly and easily. Easy to forget how unappealing and out of the way Ipswich is to an outsider. Mick had so much respect from other clubs that we almost always got who we wanted. Loanees, short term contracts, whenever we needed an emergency body he got one immediately, like Carayol the other week (not talking about murphy replacement/big money signings obvs!)
[Post edited 16 Mar 2018 4:50]

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 05:56 - Mar 16 with 4134 viewsSwailsey

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 23:11 - Mar 15 by warkthisway

Yes.

1 . He has overseen the worst spell of football at Pirtman Rd in the clubs history.
2. He keeps picking Hyam and Knudsen.
3. He was paid a bonus of more than most fans earn in a lifetime to keep us up.
4. He loans out our brightest youngsters never to be seen again.
5. He is arrogant beyond belief.
6. He told his own supporters to f. Off
7. He hates Suffolk and Suffolk people .
He falls out with any player who has flair because he is the only star at the club.

At least 4 of those points are nonsense.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:01 - Mar 16 with 4132 viewsBenters2

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 05:56 - Mar 16 by Swailsey

At least 4 of those points are nonsense.

Which one's?
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:20 - Mar 16 with 4120 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:01 - Mar 16 by Benters2

Which one's?

Go on then, I’ll bite

1 . He has overseen the worst spell of football at Pirtman Rd in the clubs history.
It’s bad but worst in history? I’ve not watched us all the time but during my lifetime watching footy we’ve had Mick McGiven in charge, been comprehensively relegated including the record Premier League defeat, had the Keane years where we arguably just as dull but without anywhere near as good a results, not to mention being bottom of the second division under Jewell. Nonsense

Knudsen, wait what? He’s one of our best players. Hyam has played about 40 games over the past 3 years, and would be nowhere near our side if everyone was fit

So what? He did keep us up, ensuring we are still one of only about 8 clubs not to be in third division in 50+ years. Thanks Mick

Only people I can think of close to this are Benyu, who we tried to keep but was offered a 4 year contract a club in the Champions League, and Marriott, for whom even Phil concedes it wasn’t working here. It is very much a stretch to describe Benyu as our brightest youngster, when we have the likes of Dozzell, Nydam, Downes etc coming through

Fair point, but then most football managers are

Possibly, I agree with the general point that he doesn’t help himself - as noted already in this thread

What?

He falls out with any player who has flair because he is the only star at the club.
Like who? And please don’t say Paul Taylor!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:27 - Mar 16 with 4117 viewsBenters2

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:20 - Mar 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Go on then, I’ll bite

It’s bad but worst in history? I’ve not watched us all the time but during my lifetime watching footy we’ve had Mick McGiven in charge, been comprehensively relegated including the record Premier League defeat, had the Keane years where we arguably just as dull but without anywhere near as good a results, not to mention being bottom of the second division under Jewell. Nonsense

Knudsen, wait what? He’s one of our best players. Hyam has played about 40 games over the past 3 years, and would be nowhere near our side if everyone was fit

So what? He did keep us up, ensuring we are still one of only about 8 clubs not to be in third division in 50+ years. Thanks Mick

Only people I can think of close to this are Benyu, who we tried to keep but was offered a 4 year contract a club in the Champions League, and Marriott, for whom even Phil concedes it wasn’t working here. It is very much a stretch to describe Benyu as our brightest youngster, when we have the likes of Dozzell, Nydam, Downes etc coming through

Fair point, but then most football managers are

Possibly, I agree with the general point that he doesn’t help himself - as noted already in this thread

What?

Like who? And please don’t say Paul Taylor!

Its not about biting.

The club is in a mess thanks to Mick Mac,Marcus Evans and Ian Milne,Mick Mac is in the East Anglian again today blaming the fans!

His time is done here.

Will the last man out of PR please turn the lights off.
Login to get fewer ads

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:35 - Mar 16 with 4110 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:27 - Mar 16 by Benters2

Its not about biting.

The club is in a mess thanks to Mick Mac,Marcus Evans and Ian Milne,Mick Mac is in the East Anglian again today blaming the fans!

His time is done here.

I agree it’s time for a change - but you asked which points were nonsense so I told you

I’m well aware you were just poking for a reaction though 🙂

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:50 - Mar 16 with 4101 viewsBenters2

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:35 - Mar 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I agree it’s time for a change - but you asked which points were nonsense so I told you

I’m well aware you were just poking for a reaction though 🙂

I wasnt really just amazed there is such a split in opinions on here about this.

Fk knows what will happen when the 'crayon eater' (cheers texty for this one) comes out and says Mick Mac is staying for a further 2 seasons and there is a price freeze on season tickets.
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:54 - Mar 16 with 4104 viewsJohnny_Boy

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 02:29 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

Your point is an absolute shambles though, it makes no sense and has proven to be made up rubbish.

Last time I checked 3 teams went down, so being adrift as a bottom 5, whilst not ideal isa hardly a death sentence.

Connor’s record as his replacement is irrelevant really, it almost makes the point that had Mick resigned earlier they’d have been even more comprehensively relegated

It clearly was a 'death sentence' as Wolves wouldn't have sacked him.
They were 2pts from the bottom of the Premiership after 25 games FFS!
Unsure how you can put a positive spin on that.

Oh. You categorically stated Wolves weren't in the bottom 3 when he left them.
You told me I had to get my facts right
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:57 - Mar 16 with 4099 viewsBenters2

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:54 - Mar 16 by Johnny_Boy

I think Joe really does love Mick Mac!
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 07:12 - Mar 16 with 4095 viewsitfcjoe

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:54 - Mar 16 by Johnny_Boy

Stop moving the goalposts here, go back to your original point which was frankly rubbish.

It’s not about putting a positive on it, just yourcfrabkly ridiculous assertion that because Jewell resigned when we were bottom stating relegation in the face that Mick should’ve done the 3 times he got relegated. Which is way off the mark.

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 07:14 - Mar 16 with 4092 viewsitfcjoe

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:57 - Mar 16 by Benters2

I think Joe really does love Mick Mac!

And I think you are a fool who can’t understand anything written that isn’t in the simplest terms.

You are the most pointless person to debate anything on here with because you are so ignorant to whatever is written and just repeat the same points ad nauseam.

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 07:44 - Mar 16 with 4071 viewsblueconscience

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 13:50 - Mar 15 by itfcjoe

So how can you come on here and say how boring they are then?

You won't whoever is in charge anyway

Because most of the season ticket holders on here say they are boring. Most of the ones who don’t say they are boring come on here to defend Mick to very strange and obsessive levels.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 08:17 - Mar 16 with 4053 viewsPinewoodblue

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 02:29 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

Mick was sacked by Wolves because they didn't believe he could keep them up. TC wasn't first choice as a replacement they offered the job to someone, rumoured to be Curbishly, but were turned down.

That first season here Mick worked wonders with the players available to him. He was very motivated, presumably the bonus helped. Dedpite the injuries Mick has a better squad of players available to him now but he just isn't getting it together in home games. He is too risk adversive. There maybe teams with a lot more cash than us above us but there are also plenty below us in the League. There are also at least three teams above who are over achieving, Millwall in particular.

We seem unable to buy a goal chance, never mind score, and a lot of the responsibility for that is down to Mick . He alone is responsible for team selection, tactics and substitutions. Daft as it seems we really did, two months ago, have a good chance of making the play offs but we haven't looked as if we have really tried. No one other than Mick is to blame for that.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 08:36 - Mar 16 with 4038 viewsitfcjoe

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 08:17 - Mar 16 by Pinewoodblue

Mick was sacked by Wolves because they didn't believe he could keep them up. TC wasn't first choice as a replacement they offered the job to someone, rumoured to be Curbishly, but were turned down.

That first season here Mick worked wonders with the players available to him. He was very motivated, presumably the bonus helped. Dedpite the injuries Mick has a better squad of players available to him now but he just isn't getting it together in home games. He is too risk adversive. There maybe teams with a lot more cash than us above us but there are also plenty below us in the League. There are also at least three teams above who are over achieving, Millwall in particular.

We seem unable to buy a goal chance, never mind score, and a lot of the responsibility for that is down to Mick . He alone is responsible for team selection, tactics and substitutions. Daft as it seems we really did, two months ago, have a good chance of making the play offs but we haven't looked as if we have really tried. No one other than Mick is to blame for that.

Firstly, I don't really care about the Wolves situation - the point about Curbishley is reportedly true - but the board made an absolute f*ck up of epic proportions in sacking Mick and not getting a replacement. Would he have kept them up? Who knows - but he had more chance than TC did - should he have resigned then as Johnny-Blue says - of course not.

I think Mick did an excellent job here up until around Christmas of 2015 - we were sitting about 5th in the table and we had most of the bottom half to play at home in the seond half, and then our home form fell of a cliff and hasn't recovered.

I agree he is too risk averse, he isn't helped by the quality and type of player injured - the news that garner has been struggling for 5-6 weeks now also seems to be a factor in our lack of goals - and whilst i agree it is time for Mick to go (who doesn't now?) I think he can look back on the job he has done here with pride.

His biggest issue is he is the lightning rod for all the criticism - he takes all the flak for the owner, and all the flak for the players and that must be tiring for him. The stick he is getting now is too much, the crowd were a disgrace on Tuesday too. He is a manager, managing as he always has done and getting more out of the budget than most would.

When the new manager comes in, hopefully soon, he will have a strong base to build from with the squad assembled and the young players that have been integrated into the first team squad - but this isn't an easy job to come into. The fans want top 6 and the owner doesn't have enough funds to make that likely.

There will be some grace given to a manager looking to play the right way, but that won't last long if results are bad which isn't that unlikely

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 08:47 - Mar 16 with 4027 viewsPinewoodblue

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 08:36 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

Firstly, I don't really care about the Wolves situation - the point about Curbishley is reportedly true - but the board made an absolute f*ck up of epic proportions in sacking Mick and not getting a replacement. Would he have kept them up? Who knows - but he had more chance than TC did - should he have resigned then as Johnny-Blue says - of course not.

I think Mick did an excellent job here up until around Christmas of 2015 - we were sitting about 5th in the table and we had most of the bottom half to play at home in the seond half, and then our home form fell of a cliff and hasn't recovered.

I agree he is too risk averse, he isn't helped by the quality and type of player injured - the news that garner has been struggling for 5-6 weeks now also seems to be a factor in our lack of goals - and whilst i agree it is time for Mick to go (who doesn't now?) I think he can look back on the job he has done here with pride.

His biggest issue is he is the lightning rod for all the criticism - he takes all the flak for the owner, and all the flak for the players and that must be tiring for him. The stick he is getting now is too much, the crowd were a disgrace on Tuesday too. He is a manager, managing as he always has done and getting more out of the budget than most would.

When the new manager comes in, hopefully soon, he will have a strong base to build from with the squad assembled and the young players that have been integrated into the first team squad - but this isn't an easy job to come into. The fans want top 6 and the owner doesn't have enough funds to make that likely.

There will be some grace given to a manager looking to play the right way, but that won't last long if results are bad which isn't that unlikely

Getting to the third round of the League Cup will give any new manager breathing space.

I just hope Evans has a target in mind and this individual gets to see a few games this season, or at least has access to matchday tapes. Everything hinges on Evans making a good choice.

Hopefully the usual suspects will not slag off the new manager before a ball is kicked.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 09:14 - Mar 16 with 4014 viewsitfcjoe

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 08:47 - Mar 16 by Pinewoodblue

Getting to the third round of the League Cup will give any new manager breathing space.

I just hope Evans has a target in mind and this individual gets to see a few games this season, or at least has access to matchday tapes. Everything hinges on Evans making a good choice.

Hopefully the usual suspects will not slag off the new manager before a ball is kicked.

i think most should be behind the new manager as long as there is sense to the appointment

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 16:31 - Mar 18 with 3909 viewsGarv

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 15:37 - Mar 15 by itfcjoe

Jewell quit when we were adrift at the bottom of the league with League 1 staring us in the face.

People are going so OTT considering we are 12th, it's not exciting and there needs to be a change but with how some talk you'd think Mick had us plummeting to League 1.

You make it sound like that's what it should take for someone to speak up.

We were 13 games in when Jewell left, we weren't staring league one in the face.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 16:34 - Mar 18 with 3901 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 16:31 - Mar 18 by Garv

You make it sound like that's what it should take for someone to speak up.

We were 13 games in when Jewell left, we weren't staring league one in the face.

Jesus H, seriously? We were bottom of the league, 4 points adrift of safety, hadn’t won in about 12 games and had a squad stuffed with ineffective loanees

Had Jewell stayed we’d have been absolutely f*cked

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 17:22 - Mar 18 with 3882 viewslongtimefan

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 16:34 - Mar 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Jesus H, seriously? We were bottom of the league, 4 points adrift of safety, hadn’t won in about 12 games and had a squad stuffed with ineffective loanees

Had Jewell stayed we’d have been absolutely f*cked

Even Jewell admitted he hadn’t got a clue how to turn it around!
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 18:25 - Mar 18 with 3856 viewsSwailsey

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 07:14 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

And I think you are a fool who can’t understand anything written that isn’t in the simplest terms.

You are the most pointless person to debate anything on here with because you are so ignorant to whatever is written and just repeat the same points ad nauseam.

This.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 18:54 - Mar 18 with 3842 viewsBenters2

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 18:25 - Mar 18 by Swailsey

This.

You brought that up just to say this? How sad!
Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 20:58 - Mar 18 with 3809 viewsSuperfrans

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Mick? on 06:27 - Mar 16 by Benters2

Its not about biting.

His time is done here.

“Last man out”? Well you left a long time ago, if your posts are anything to go by.

The club is not in a mess. We’re mid-table on a mid (or bottom half of the table) budget.

I agree that his time is done. His relationship with too many of the fans has gone, it’s irretrievable.
Plus, it’s arguable that 5 years (getting on for 6) is probably as long as most managers should stay at any club. Rarely can a manager sustain longer than that in the modern game.

But don’t expect everything to suddenly turn around when McCarthy goes. We may see an initial bump, but it’s going to take someone pretty special to get us competitive in this division on the budgets we currently operate on.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024