Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Duncan thread 11:01 - Jan 10 with 4688 viewsFinidiCentenary

This got me wondering if any club has ever had such a spectacular decline as we had?

We are pretty unique as a club really aren't we. We went up in 1960-61 and won the First Division in our first ever season there. We went up into the Premier League in 2000 and finished 5th in our first season, something nobody else has bettered since Football was invented by Sky in 1992.

But we also went from European Champions and almost title winners to selling the entire first team and going down 5 years later. We've seen these massive clubs like Villa and Newcastle go down in recent times but they were never really threatening to win anything just before. Villa finished 6th a few times and well over a decade before Newcastle were in the title race for a couple of seasons.

I suppose you could argue Leeds going from Champions League Semi Finalists to League One in a short period of time could rival us, but then they were never really likely to win the league even when they were in the race come March time and they were only at that level for a couple of seasons, not fighting for the title most years for a decade like us. Blackburn took 10-15 years to go from title winners to a team that went down.

As well as the two crazy achievements of 1962 and 2001, we also seem to have had a crazy decline that I can't think of any other team rivalling. Literally from consistently one of the top 10-15 teams in Europe over a decade to being a mid table Second Division team. From Muhren, Wark and Mariner to Harvey, D'Avray and Hill.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

The Duncan thread on 11:05 - Jan 10 with 4666 viewsHerbivore

Blackburn only took 4 years to get themselves relegated after winning the title. Granted they bounced back again before bumbling about for a few more years in the Prem.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Duncan thread on 11:14 - Jan 10 with 4639 viewsDubtractor

Wolves have had some dramatic rises and falls over the years.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The Duncan thread on 11:17 - Jan 10 with 4625 viewsBackToRussia

Did it not happen a bit more back in the day? Thinking of Man u being relegated late 70s.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The Duncan thread on 11:26 - Jan 10 with 4608 viewsPJH

The Duncan thread on 11:05 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

Blackburn only took 4 years to get themselves relegated after winning the title. Granted they bounced back again before bumbling about for a few more years in the Prem.

Leicester tried to better that.
The Duncan thread on 11:28 - Jan 10 with 4597 viewsPJH

The Duncan thread on 11:17 - Jan 10 by BackToRussia

Did it not happen a bit more back in the day? Thinking of Man u being relegated late 70s.

Man U relegated 73/74 and came straight back up.
Spurs relegated 76/77 and also straight back up.
The Duncan thread on 11:30 - Jan 10 with 4594 viewsLuggworm

I'd say both Huddersfield and Chelsea had bigger falls from grace - although both now restored.
The Duncan thread on 11:34 - Jan 10 with 4587 viewsWD19

The Duncan thread on 11:30 - Jan 10 by Luggworm

I'd say both Huddersfield and Chelsea had bigger falls from grace - although both now restored.

Leeds would be the most obvious comparison. Champions league semi (and genuinely fantastic side) to relegation pretty quickly.
The Duncan thread on 11:40 - Jan 10 with 4572 viewsPJH

The Duncan thread on 11:14 - Jan 10 by Dubtractor

Wolves have had some dramatic rises and falls over the years.

Certainly have.

In the late 1950's they were one of THE teams if not THE team(Champions 57/58 and 58/59).
Spent 1986/87 and 1987/88 in Division 4.

Then Premier League to League One(of course that was MM's fault!)

Seem to have a chance of going back up now though.
Login to get fewer ads

The Duncan thread on 11:50 - Jan 10 with 4549 viewsNo9

Coventry?
The Duncan thread on 11:52 - Jan 10 with 4542 viewsHerbivore

The Duncan thread on 11:50 - Jan 10 by No9

Coventry?

What have they ever won?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Duncan thread on 11:58 - Jan 10 with 4536 viewsRadlett_blue

The Duncan thread on 11:52 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

What have they ever won?

One FA Cup.
While we might regard Town's fall from grace as a major event, to many others it wouldn't be seen as a big deal. We only won one Fa Cup & one UEFA Cup in the Robson years. With an ageing team breaking up, no money & losing a brilliant manager, it wasn't really a surprise.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Duncan thread on 12:03 - Jan 10 with 4522 viewshanoverblue

Aston villa went from being European cup winners in 1982 to being relegation in 1987
Forest. (n/t) on 12:06 - Jan 10 with 4515 viewsBloots

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

The Duncan thread on 12:08 - Jan 10 with 4510 viewsmonty_radio

Blackburn Rovers

93 4th
94 2nd
95 Champions
99 relegated

That's a notable fall after those earlier three seasons of challenging.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The Duncan thread on 13:07 - Jan 10 with 4456 viewsFinidiCentenary

The Duncan thread on 12:03 - Jan 10 by hanoverblue

Aston villa went from being European cup winners in 1982 to being relegation in 1987

In fairness that's probably a bigger decline that ours.

I'd forgot about that. If I remember Platt scored 4 and they beat us 6-2 the season after they came down.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

The Duncan thread on 16:35 - Jan 10 with 4351 viewsPendejo

The Duncan thread on 13:07 - Jan 10 by FinidiCentenary

In fairness that's probably a bigger decline that ours.

I'd forgot about that. If I remember Platt scored 4 and they beat us 6-2 the season after they came down.

Yes and No.

Yes 'cos they went from Champions of England, then Europe to relegation

No, because they had not been as consistent in the league as we had been under Robson

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The Duncan thread on 16:39 - Jan 10 with 4343 viewsPendejo

The Duncan thread on 11:58 - Jan 10 by Radlett_blue

One FA Cup.
While we might regard Town's fall from grace as a major event, to many others it wouldn't be seen as a big deal. We only won one Fa Cup & one UEFA Cup in the Robson years. With an ageing team breaking up, no money & losing a brilliant manager, it wasn't really a surprise.

Agree we only won 2 trophies, however, league form was pretty consistent > Finished outside the top 6 once in 10 years... and that season we won the FA Cup.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The Duncan thread on 18:08 - Jan 10 with 4270 viewsThe_Major

It's always telling how quickly the years 82-92 are glossed over on the various videos and DVDs that have come out over time.

The order normally goes:

Robson leaves
Liverpool (a) 2-2 in about 1984, Eric Gates with a screamer at the Kop
Everton (a) FAC 6R 1985
Norwich (h) & (a) Milk Cup Semi 1985
Oxford (h) 3-2 1986
Ferguson leaves
Duncan arrives
Man Utd (h) FA Cup 1988
Sergei arrives
Stoke (h) 5-1 debut of above
Duncan leaves
Lyall arrives
Southend (a) 91/92

It seems that they'll show the First Division table at the end of 81/82, and then within five minutes, Phil Whelan scores at Roots Hall. If you're lucky, you might see one or two other games, like beating Liverpool at Portman Road in 1986, or the Dalian Middlesbrough match, but that's normally your lot.

Problem is, there isn't so much footage around I guess, but I still wouldn't mind seeing again Simon Milton score against Nodge in the Simod Cup in front of an absolute rocking crowd at FPR, or that period in 1982/83 when we stuck six past Notts County and West Brom in quick succession.
The Duncan thread on 18:41 - Jan 10 with 4238 viewsolimar

The Duncan thread on 18:08 - Jan 10 by The_Major

It's always telling how quickly the years 82-92 are glossed over on the various videos and DVDs that have come out over time.

The order normally goes:

Robson leaves
Liverpool (a) 2-2 in about 1984, Eric Gates with a screamer at the Kop
Everton (a) FAC 6R 1985
Norwich (h) & (a) Milk Cup Semi 1985
Oxford (h) 3-2 1986
Ferguson leaves
Duncan arrives
Man Utd (h) FA Cup 1988
Sergei arrives
Stoke (h) 5-1 debut of above
Duncan leaves
Lyall arrives
Southend (a) 91/92

It seems that they'll show the First Division table at the end of 81/82, and then within five minutes, Phil Whelan scores at Roots Hall. If you're lucky, you might see one or two other games, like beating Liverpool at Portman Road in 1986, or the Dalian Middlesbrough match, but that's normally your lot.

Problem is, there isn't so much footage around I guess, but I still wouldn't mind seeing again Simon Milton score against Nodge in the Simod Cup in front of an absolute rocking crowd at FPR, or that period in 1982/83 when we stuck six past Notts County and West Brom in quick succession.

I cant remember the background, but I dont think MOTD was around for a few years in the late 80s. Although the point is still valid, nearly all the greatest goals videos just quickly rush through to 92.
The Duncan thread on 22:51 - Jan 10 with 4156 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Duncan thread on 18:41 - Jan 10 by olimar

I cant remember the background, but I dont think MOTD was around for a few years in the late 80s. Although the point is still valid, nearly all the greatest goals videos just quickly rush through to 92.

ITV had the football didn't they from around 85ish onwards but I don't remember a weekly highlights show. Just a live match on a Sunday with maybe selected goals from other games. There was also regional highlights shows up until 92-93 when match of the day resurfaced on a regular basis and the endsleigh (as it was called) went to ITV.

The beeb kept the FA Cup all through those times from memory but I can also remember things like broadcaster strikes and things like teams not being allowed on TV if they didn't put tape over the sponsors name.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Duncan thread on 23:37 - Jan 10 with 4128 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The Duncan thread on 11:34 - Jan 10 by WD19

Leeds would be the most obvious comparison. Champions league semi (and genuinely fantastic side) to relegation pretty quickly.

Leeds went from Champions league semi-final to League One in six years.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

The Duncan thread on 23:57 - Jan 10 with 4113 viewshoppy

Should we really be that surprised though? How many clubs have placed their fortunes in the hands, at different times, of PJ and Duncan?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024