Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) 15:53 - Mar 1 with 2855 viewspafcprogs

Hello again

So I am still cranking out the previews for Argyle games.

The link takes you to the one for Saturday, and it doesn't once use the M word :) and I don't mean Mariner.

Not saying it doesn't make any reference, but your poster who said in another thread that Morsy is the kind of player you love in your team and hate in the oppositions is bang on....

So will it be five in a. row for Town or three in a home row against them for Argyle.

Recent history says it should be a great game either way....safe travels to those coming down.

COYG

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/one-game-at-a-time-youre-only-here-for-chucks-pasti

All the best after tomorrow. I think Leicester are gone despite their wobbles but there is nothing better than the sound of "Leeds are falling apart again" in then play-offs. And to be honest after doing four of these preview for Town I need some fresh subjects!
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:03 - Mar 1 with 2605 viewsSitfcB

That’s the second reference I’ve seen this week with regards to Chaplin diving.

Do you lot have previous with him or something?

Can’t say I’ve ever seen him simulate before.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:16 - Mar 1 with 2556 viewsWalkyWonderland

Nice write up. Possibly slightly heavy on the Ed Sheeran song titles but I'll let it go!
As an Ipswich exile based just outside Plymouth, this is my shortest trip of the season. Taking my daughter in the away end, and my son will be trying to goad a reaction from the Argyle seats next to us.
I have a lot of respect for Plymouth as a club. Well run, a plan in place and should stay up this year and build from there. Probably need an expanded stadium to really kick on.
What I really don't understand is the continued attempt to create some sort of rivalry with us from some of the Argyle fans. You won the league last year and deserved to do so. Of course we would have liked to have won it but ultimately we just wanted out of league 1 and I can't imagine many at all are bitter about that.
It wasn't our fans who called us "the best league 1 team in history" or words to that effect. It was pundits, the media and possibly Cowley at Portsmouth. If Argyle didn't get the coverage they felt they deserved for what they achieved I can understand that, going up against two larger clubs and finishing ahead of them. But again that isn't down to us. We get similar treatment this season being in and around the parachute teams.
I would add however that the respective positions of the two teams this year perhaps suggests that these pundits might have had a point.
Anyway, enjoy the game - but not too much. I've only seen the last 2 defeats at Home Park so hopefully we get something out of this one. And try to get the message across to your fellow fans that this rivalry is very much one way. We have lots more in common than is different.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:23 - Mar 1 with 2518 views_clive_baker_

I have to say with regards to Morsy (and this isn't blue tinted specs) I really don't think he's a dirty player by any stretch of the imagination. He's combative and his upper body strength is ridiculous, but I genuinely can't recall him ever making what I would class as a clumsy or dangerous tackle in his time here. He picks up a ludicrous amount of yellows so I can see why people would equate that to being dirty, but the nature of them is pretty much always what I would call pettiness. Dissent and kicking the ball away in the instance of Boro away, shirt pulls, niggly bits to break up play etc. He's 'street wise' and a winner, but far from being a dirty player.

Contrary to popular opinion he's simply not a player you see jumping in to tackles or anything like that, it feels a bit of a unjust narrative around him IMO.

As for tomorrow, may the best team win.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:24 - Mar 1 with 2500 viewsRadioOrwell

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:03 - Mar 1 by SitfcB

That’s the second reference I’ve seen this week with regards to Chaplin diving.

Do you lot have previous with him or something?

Can’t say I’ve ever seen him simulate before.

I'm not sure I've seen Morsy be properly dirty - definitely 'professional' - but not obviously red card dirty.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:24 - Mar 1 with 2503 viewsWalkyWonderland

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:23 - Mar 1 by _clive_baker_

I have to say with regards to Morsy (and this isn't blue tinted specs) I really don't think he's a dirty player by any stretch of the imagination. He's combative and his upper body strength is ridiculous, but I genuinely can't recall him ever making what I would class as a clumsy or dangerous tackle in his time here. He picks up a ludicrous amount of yellows so I can see why people would equate that to being dirty, but the nature of them is pretty much always what I would call pettiness. Dissent and kicking the ball away in the instance of Boro away, shirt pulls, niggly bits to break up play etc. He's 'street wise' and a winner, but far from being a dirty player.

Contrary to popular opinion he's simply not a player you see jumping in to tackles or anything like that, it feels a bit of a unjust narrative around him IMO.

They hold a grudge for 1 tackle back in 2022 I believe and because Argyle players would never make a bad challenge. Ever.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:24 - Mar 1 with 2496 viewsSitfcB

…yes I agree, apart from the time he landed one on that Accrington fellas belly But even that was streetwise enough to go unnoticed by the officials

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:32 - Mar 1 with 2440 viewsJakeITFC

He's definitely got a snide one in him, but he's a bit too streetwise for genuine horror challenges to get sent off for imo.

That being said it's funny when he's either back from suspension or past the game for bookings amnesty and he's back to just chopping people on halfway for a yellow.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:36 - Mar 1 with 2402 views_clive_baker_

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:32 - Mar 1 by JakeITFC

He's definitely got a snide one in him, but he's a bit too streetwise for genuine horror challenges to get sent off for imo.

That being said it's funny when he's either back from suspension or past the game for bookings amnesty and he's back to just chopping people on halfway for a yellow.

You just don't see horror tackles from him at all, in fact he's very rarely off his feet at all which is probably a contributing factor. He doesn't need to be because he's physically so strong.

He definitely likes a cheap yellow, but they're almost never malicious or dangerous, or what I would class as 'dirty'. He's just very street wise IMO, and a fantastic central midfielder.
Login to get fewer ads

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:37 - Mar 1 with 2403 viewsITFC_Forever

There's a thread one your forum disussing / expecting dangerous challenges and calls out Morsy as getting booked and then subbed.... that simply never (or very rarely) happens.

Think he was subbed away at Leeds as the game was gone and he was walking a suspension tightrope, but other than that, I can't remember it happening (not to say it hasn't ever).

And as others have said, there's a certain element of Argyle fans who have some kind of chip on their shoulder about us, where there is no need.
Any Town fan will say Argyle deservedly won the L1 last season and fair play to you. What others in the media say is out of our control.

I actually like PAFC, my Mum's side of the family are Cornish and Plymouth were the team my Grandad followed (although I'm not sure he ever went to a game), and Plymouth seem to be a well-run club who are always seeking to progress and better themselves.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 17:37 - Mar 1 with 2193 viewspafcprogs

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:37 - Mar 1 by ITFC_Forever

There's a thread one your forum disussing / expecting dangerous challenges and calls out Morsy as getting booked and then subbed.... that simply never (or very rarely) happens.

Think he was subbed away at Leeds as the game was gone and he was walking a suspension tightrope, but other than that, I can't remember it happening (not to say it hasn't ever).

And as others have said, there's a certain element of Argyle fans who have some kind of chip on their shoulder about us, where there is no need.
Any Town fan will say Argyle deservedly won the L1 last season and fair play to you. What others in the media say is out of our control.

I actually like PAFC, my Mum's side of the family are Cornish and Plymouth were the team my Grandad followed (although I'm not sure he ever went to a game), and Plymouth seem to be a well-run club who are always seeking to progress and better themselves.

So this is a catchall reply to the various points raised

There is no rivalry between the clubs, or at least no lasting one....we've moved on to Stoke, but before Ipswich it was whycome (my tm), Luton and a friendly one with QPR...eg when we have a shot at something good then we as every club does , become more interested in what's happening ng to the club around us.

I do recall last season a fair buit of banter over testing Whittaker when the Swans recalled him too, but its all fair. But come on , silver polish called Towntalk....how could I resist!

Our rivalry is Exeter, but they are normally below us, yours is Norwich and you finally caught them back up :) We are more vexed about them playing we'll meet again the time we r==went to the basement ....although it was quite funny in retrospect.

Morsy. It's the Randell tackle. Although the Evans one was worse in that game. He is snide..I watched him trip a Rotherham player off the ball kind of because he could on TV. But like I say, would I be happy to see him in green...absolutely. We loved Matete on loan but he was a walking red card. And if you want a true psycho who would hurt people then read Andy Morrisons auto biography.

The Chaplin dive thing was his attempt to block when Mumba scored. He isn't any worse than any other forward and he's a clever player. Hope he is on the bench for you tomorrow.

I'll be rooting for you to go up after tomorrow. I would rather anyone who isn't being paid for failing .

Cheers
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 17:52 - Mar 1 with 2138 viewsSteve_M

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 17:37 - Mar 1 by pafcprogs

There is no rivalry between the clubs, or at least no lasting one....we've moved on to Stoke, but before Ipswich it was whycome (my tm), Luton and a friendly one with QPR...eg when we have a shot at something good then we as every club does , become more interested in what's happening ng to the club around us.

I do recall last season a fair buit of banter over testing Whittaker when the Swans recalled him too, but its all fair. But come on , silver polish called Towntalk....how could I resist!

Our rivalry is Exeter, but they are normally below us, yours is Norwich and you finally caught them back up :) We are more vexed about them playing we'll meet again the time we r==went to the basement ....although it was quite funny in retrospect.

Morsy. It's the Randell tackle. Although the Evans one was worse in that game. He is snide..I watched him trip a Rotherham player off the ball kind of because he could on TV. But like I say, would I be happy to see him in green...absolutely. We loved Matete on loan but he was a walking red card. And if you want a true psycho who would hurt people then read Andy Morrisons auto biography.

The Chaplin dive thing was his attempt to block when Mumba scored. He isn't any worse than any other forward and he's a clever player. Hope he is on the bench for you tomorrow.

I'll be rooting for you to go up after tomorrow. I would rather anyone who isn't being paid for failing .

Cheers

Stoke? Are you wondering why the hell Schumacher went there because I certainly am. He could surely have had a better choice of clubs had he waited a bit.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 17:52 - Mar 1 with 2137 viewsredrickstuhaart

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:24 - Mar 1 by WalkyWonderland

They hold a grudge for 1 tackle back in 2022 I believe and because Argyle players would never make a bad challenge. Ever.

The worst tackle in that game, by far, was by Mumba. As clear and intentional a red card challenge as you will see.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 18:35 - Mar 1 with 1999 viewspafcprogs

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 17:52 - Mar 1 by redrickstuhaart

The worst tackle in that game, by far, was by Mumba. As clear and intentional a red card challenge as you will see.

I think they all three were red.

But it’s just history now. Some people get over vexed about things you cannot change.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 18:41 - Mar 1 with 1964 viewsITFC_Forever

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 17:52 - Mar 1 by Steve_M

Stoke? Are you wondering why the hell Schumacher went there because I certainly am. He could surely have had a better choice of clubs had he waited a bit.

It was a daft choice of next move.

He was continuing to build a very good name for himself at Argyle, and while Stoke may well have offered a big increase in wages, so would another club in due course as well had he bided his time.

I know Stoke are closer to Merseyside than Plymouth, but then, most places are! But another more stable club would have in soon enough had he stuck it out.

Stoke are a club rapidly going downhill at the moment. They’ve blow their parachute money (which is a feat in itself) and although they have wealthy owners, they are restricted as to how much they can put in as they are on the FFP limit, and spend the money they can poorly.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 18:53 - Mar 1 with 1898 viewsMK1

Morsy still causing anguish on your site?
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 19:16 - Mar 1 with 1807 viewsredrickstuhaart

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 18:53 - Mar 1 by MK1

Morsy still causing anguish on your site?

3 reds in his entire career.

Hardly Mark Dennis.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 19:32 - Mar 1 with 1761 viewspafcprogs

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 19:16 - Mar 1 by redrickstuhaart

Hardly Mark Dennis.

So it probably isn’t that surprising to at we are discussing your better players just before we play you.

Also that our memories of them are mainly coloured by the games we played against you

Or that we are biased towards our side as you are to yours.

I hear you want Morgs if you go up.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 19:36 - Mar 1 with 1745 viewsEastTownBlue

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 19:16 - Mar 1 by redrickstuhaart

Hardly Mark Dennis.

Or Francis Benali who happened to be part of the FA committee that determined that Morsy should receive a one match suspension following his comments to the ref at Middlesbrough.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 19:48 - Mar 1 with 1705 viewsGeoffSentence

I thought it was an unnecessarilly snarky write up to be honest. Fine for your main target audience of Argyle fans, but not the sort of thing to brag about on here.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 19:56 - Mar 1 with 1650 viewsVegtablue

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:36 - Mar 1 by _clive_baker_

You just don't see horror tackles from him at all, in fact he's very rarely off his feet at all which is probably a contributing factor. He doesn't need to be because he's physically so strong.

He definitely likes a cheap yellow, but they're almost never malicious or dangerous, or what I would class as 'dirty'. He's just very street wise IMO, and a fantastic central midfielder.

It was a bad challenge at Home Park in fairness. Take a player with a well-earned reputation for frequent, streetwise fouling, add in the bad tackle, add in a larger proportion of wet lettuce online fans than normal for a football club (some of the takes on Luongo's behaviour in our last game together are bewildering), shake it all together and Morsy becomes a cowardly thug. He's 32 years old though and only Plymouth fans see him as a nasty piece of work, rather than just a nasty player to play against, which is as strong a defence as any midfield general needs really. He isn't close to some of the enforcers of old.

We could have gone the same way ourselves on Mumba, who also made an awful tackle in that game, who appears to only have less yellows than Morsy this season on account of his minutes on the field, and who's no doubt still as feathered as he was last season, but we're not that weird thankfully (quite weird sure but there are levels).

Progs and many of his forum friends are clearly good sorts mind, don't wish to pretend otherwise. I'm nervous and excited for what I expect will be another tight encounter tomorrow, even more so with our injuries. They had no luck at our place and were the better team at the start and finish.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 20:04 - Mar 1 with 1612 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 17:37 - Mar 1 by pafcprogs

Cheers

You guys conveniently forgot Mumba's challenge on Donacien (I think) ? An equally bad tackle.

But it's football, bad tackles happen. Morsy certainly isn't the thug he is perpetuated to be by Plymouth fans. Just a weird weird narrative.

As said above the write up seemed to be a bit provocative and rooted in one sided opinion rather than any sort of objectivity. But that could be what you are going for tbf.
[Post edited 1 Mar 20:06]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 20:13 - Mar 1 with 1575 viewsVegtablue

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:36 - Mar 1 by _clive_baker_

It was a bad challenge at Home Park in fairness. Take a player with a well-earned reputation for frequent, streetwise fouling, add in the bad tackle, add in a larger proportion of wet lettuce online fans than normal for a football club (some of the takes on Luongo's behaviour in our last game together are bewildering, as are the opinions on our playing style in general), shake it all together and Morsy becomes a cowardly thug. He's 32 years old though and only Plymouth fans see him as a nasty piece of work, rather than just a nasty player to play against, which is as strong a defence as any midfield general needs really. He isn't close to the enforcers of old.

We could have gone the same way ourselves on Mumba, who also made an awful tackle in that game, who appears to only have less yellows than Morsy on account of his minutes on the field, and who's no doubt still feathered underneath, but we're not that weird thankfully (quite weird sure but there are levels).

Progs and many of his forum friends are clearly good sorts mind, don't wish to pretend otherwise. I'm nervous and excited for what I expect will be another tight encounter tomorrow, even more so given our injuries. They had no luck at our place and were the better team at the beginning and the end.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 20:28 - Mar 1 with 1527 viewspafcprogs

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 19:56 - Mar 1 by Vegtablue

It was a bad challenge at Home Park in fairness. Take a player with a well-earned reputation for frequent, streetwise fouling, add in the bad tackle, add in a larger proportion of wet lettuce online fans than normal for a football club (some of the takes on Luongo's behaviour in our last game together are bewildering), shake it all together and Morsy becomes a cowardly thug. He's 32 years old though and only Plymouth fans see him as a nasty piece of work, rather than just a nasty player to play against, which is as strong a defence as any midfield general needs really. He isn't close to some of the enforcers of old.

We could have gone the same way ourselves on Mumba, who also made an awful tackle in that game, who appears to only have less yellows than Morsy this season on account of his minutes on the field, and who's no doubt still as feathered as he was last season, but we're not that weird thankfully (quite weird sure but there are levels).

Progs and many of his forum friends are clearly good sorts mind, don't wish to pretend otherwise. I'm nervous and excited for what I expect will be another tight encounter tomorrow, even more so with our injuries. They had no luck at our place and were the better team at the start and finish.

And that’s why after a couple of seasons I still come and read opinions on here. Because by and large most are fair minded reasonable and knowledgeable.

Most sites have a core of decent fans who can take a joke. Know they are unnaturally biased and that their teams “hard man” is the oppositions “cowardly thug” that every team in the league gets biased refs but only against them etc etc

So I smile when someone says after reading an opposition site they have changed their opinion and now hope they smash us three nil. Because before what they really hoped for was a narrow one nil. Nope. Didn’t think so.

Every site has nutters. Agents provocateurs and wind up merchants.

So I appreciate it when people say they enjoy the write ups. Especially as the poster before this who didn’t is right. They are unashamedly written for the Argyle fraternity. There is an archive if you want to see how I abused the budgies I am an equal opportunities offender.

Or try to be.

I am here as your guest. So I try to at least treat my hosts as I would like to be treated by them. By and large that’s fine here. And most other sites. I also came on here when we had a young fan suffering from cancer who sadly died and your fans response was terrific. As were Wednesday Oxford and several other sites I frequent. Because deep down it’s just football.

I enjoy watching your lot. Except for twice a season or on the rare occasions we are chasing the same end. I expect your fans are the same

So I hope we have a crushing win tomorrow. I fear you could. But I’ll still pop back and share opinions and be pleased for you I’d you get promoted because I love the way you play football.

Still think you stiffed us for Mariner though.

Safe travels
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 12:07 - Mar 2 with 1060 viewsChurchman

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 20:28 - Mar 1 by pafcprogs

And that’s why after a couple of seasons I still come and read opinions on here. Because by and large most are fair minded reasonable and knowledgeable.

Most sites have a core of decent fans who can take a joke. Know they are unnaturally biased and that their teams “hard man” is the oppositions “cowardly thug” that every team in the league gets biased refs but only against them etc etc

So I smile when someone says after reading an opposition site they have changed their opinion and now hope they smash us three nil. Because before what they really hoped for was a narrow one nil. Nope. Didn’t think so.

Every site has nutters. Agents provocateurs and wind up merchants.

So I appreciate it when people say they enjoy the write ups. Especially as the poster before this who didn’t is right. They are unashamedly written for the Argyle fraternity. There is an archive if you want to see how I abused the budgies I am an equal opportunities offender.

Or try to be.

I am here as your guest. So I try to at least treat my hosts as I would like to be treated by them. By and large that’s fine here. And most other sites. I also came on here when we had a young fan suffering from cancer who sadly died and your fans response was terrific. As were Wednesday Oxford and several other sites I frequent. Because deep down it’s just football.

I enjoy watching your lot. Except for twice a season or on the rare occasions we are chasing the same end. I expect your fans are the same

So I hope we have a crushing win tomorrow. I fear you could. But I’ll still pop back and share opinions and be pleased for you I’d you get promoted because I love the way you play football.

Still think you stiffed us for Mariner though.

Safe travels

Yes, we did mug you off for Mariner. It was actually all we could afford. But boy, what a player. For me he was always my favourite ITFC player and though I’m in a minority, I think the best.

He had the lot. Good in the air, on the ground, great team player and as hard as nails. I gather he was a damn good bloke too. Sadly missed.

After today, good luck to Argyle. You’ll be fine and will rightly look back on it as a good season.
One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 12:59 - Mar 2 with 971 viewsReusersTown

One Game at a Time ( Argyle v Ipswich) on 16:24 - Mar 1 by WalkyWonderland

The weirder thing about that tackle is that it was the Argyle player who had gone lunging in on Morsy if my memory is correct. I've never actually seen him make a dangerous 'hatchet job' type tackle in his whole time here. So their fixation is odd and a bit fascinating.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024