Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Slow and Ponderous 16:59 - Feb 10 with 1884 viewstextbackup

When we want to (or have to ie PNE second half, and last 10/15 day) we can really turn it on and attack with intent.

But for the most a sluggish style has crept in. Predictable more often than not. And worryingly sloppy (2 moments today resulted in goals)

Just glad WBA didn’t go all out as they had enough to beat us.

Think we can firmly wave goodbye to that 2nd spot unfortunately, for me it’s about getting back in the groove and being ready for the playoffs.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Slow and Ponderous on 17:02 - Feb 10 with 1838 viewsChrisd

Yes, I thought the same, especially during the first half.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Slow and Ponderous on 17:03 - Feb 10 with 1822 viewsGarv

We're still in the hunt. Nonsense waving goodbye to anything, so respectfully, grow a pair.

We play ponderous football at times, have you just realized? It got us promotion and 4th in the Championship 30 games in.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Slow and Ponderous on 17:05 - Feb 10 with 1810 viewstextbackup

Slow and Ponderous on 17:02 - Feb 10 by Chrisd

Watching it thinking ‘I know where that’s going’ so if I know, a professional footballer likely knew that a few seconds before me and sets himself.

And when we did half break we’d dwell on the ball and give WBA time to get 11 men behind the ball.

Davis didn’t get any crosses in early (from memory) Burns looked really empty. Clarke tried but final ball was so bad.

Slow and Ponderous on 17:05 - Feb 10 with 1811 viewsle2blue

Not on the front foot and attacking with pace from the get-go, partly because teams respect us and go man for man at the start and press us high so we don't have the space we did earlier in the season.

Lots of twists and turns to go, Kieran needs to work his magic and get them going on a run, something we know he's capable of and we have the mentality to do. If it's not enough then so be it, it's been an incredible season so far and a playoff finish would be amazing.
Their second goal today.... on 17:08 - Feb 10 with 1778 viewsBloots

....summed up our predictability perfectly.

A thrown in midway in our own half, an opportunity to lob it up the line, gain a few yards and get on the attack.....but it was obvious we were going to try and find a way to get it back to our keeper so that he can pass it to our centre backs.

From there it's just as obvious that we are going to look to play it short into midfield.

They close down our central midfielders, so we then have to play a speculative pass, and we lose possession.

I'm thick and I can see what we are going to do 30 seconds before it happens, so it definitely doesn't come as a surprise to a well drilled group of professional footballers.

As you say, get our form back and hopefully go into the play offs with a bit of confidence.

It's the best we can hope for.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Slow and Ponderous on 17:11 - Feb 10 with 1756 viewsChrisd

Slow and Ponderous on 17:05 - Feb 10 by textbackup

Watching it thinking ‘I know where that’s going’ so if I know, a professional footballer likely knew that a few seconds before me and sets himself.

And when we did half break we’d dwell on the ball and give WBA time to get 11 men behind the ball.

Davis didn’t get any crosses in early (from memory) Burns looked really empty. Clarke tried but final ball was so bad.

I can’t disagree with any of that. I thought we finished well and it was good to get the late goal and a point, but we lacked intensity throughout. 1 win in 9 tells us all that it is proving a struggle at the moment. We’ll make the Play Offs, but I just don’t believe we look good enough to get promoted now.
[Post edited 10 Feb 17:14]

Slow and Ponderous on 17:11 - Feb 10 with 1757 viewstextbackup

Slow and Ponderous on 17:03 - Feb 10 by Garv

We're still in the hunt. Nonsense waving goodbye to anything, so respectfully, grow a pair.

We play ponderous football at times, have you just realized? It got us promotion and 4th in the Championship 30 games in.

See this gets me, I need to grow a pair because we have 2 excellent teams above us, who have overcome a 10 point gap, to put us 4th…

If I think we don’t make 2nd it means absolutely Jack sht, I can’t affect a single thing on that pitch. Doesn’t mean I’ve given up, but I’m realistic. Of course I hope we do, but IMO it’s highly unlikely now. However, the playoffs are very winnable, and I’d fancy us… so maybe in your eyes I half half a pair, or something.

Thanks for pointing out the style, missed it the last 24 months… however, slow and ponderous is a bit different to what we’ve seen.

Remember, we are only fans, nothing we discuss on here matters to what the players do on the pitch. Relax

Their second goal today.... on 17:14 - Feb 10 with 1736 viewstextbackup

Their second goal today.... on 17:08 - Feb 10 by Bloots

....summed up our predictability perfectly.

A thrown in midway in our own half, an opportunity to lob it up the line, gain a few yards and get on the attack.....but it was obvious we were going to try and find a way to get it back to our keeper so that he can pass it to our centre backs.

From there it's just as obvious that we are going to look to play it short into midfield.

They close down our central midfielders, so we then have to play a speculative pass, and we lose possession.

I'm thick and I can see what we are going to do 30 seconds before it happens, so it definitely doesn't come as a surprise to a well drilled group of professional footballers.

As you say, get our form back and hopefully go into the play offs with a bit of confidence.

It's the best we can hope for.

They were so high up on us from the start, I actually think they are really decent, well organised. Bit disappointed they resorted to time wasting and other stupidness

Login to get fewer ads

Slow and Ponderous on 17:16 - Feb 10 with 1702 viewstextbackup

Slow and Ponderous on 17:05 - Feb 10 by le2blue

Not on the front foot and attacking with pace from the get-go, partly because teams respect us and go man for man at the start and press us high so we don't have the space we did earlier in the season.

Lots of twists and turns to go, Kieran needs to work his magic and get them going on a run, something we know he's capable of and we have the mentality to do. If it's not enough then so be it, it's been an incredible season so far and a playoff finish would be amazing.

I think KM is capable of that… I worry some of these players are running out of steam though.

Slow and Ponderous on 17:18 - Feb 10 with 1678 viewsChrisd

Slow and Ponderous on 17:11 - Feb 10 by textbackup

See this gets me, I need to grow a pair because we have 2 excellent teams above us, who have overcome a 10 point gap, to put us 4th…

If I think we don’t make 2nd it means absolutely Jack sht, I can’t affect a single thing on that pitch. Doesn’t mean I’ve given up, but I’m realistic. Of course I hope we do, but IMO it’s highly unlikely now. However, the playoffs are very winnable, and I’d fancy us… so maybe in your eyes I half half a pair, or something.

Thanks for pointing out the style, missed it the last 24 months… however, slow and ponderous is a bit different to what we’ve seen.

Remember, we are only fans, nothing we discuss on here matters to what the players do on the pitch. Relax

I wouldn’t worry, each week we seem the only club in world football that has poor refereeing decisions go against us judging by some on here, which is becoming rather tiresome, nothing to do with how we apply ourselves and play the game. As you say, it’s all about opinions.

Slow and Ponderous on 17:35 - Feb 10 with 1606 viewsLankHenners

Thing is you can only really play like we did at the end of today and Preston when the other team 'allows' it by just sitting off and defending what they have.

West Brom are very good at suffocating space and stopping you from playing which makes it harder for us to play through them quickly but McKenna did make the point post-match that in recent weeks we've lost too many 50/50s, first contacts etc. which make it hard to impose ourselves on the game.

One thing I'd say is our midfield looks a little tired to me. Luongo looks a bit off the pace and between him and Morsy there isn't much pace in general through the middle, despite their other obvious qualities. Wouldn't say Taylor's quick but he can drive the ball forwards from midfield which would be a help really. Top Championship midfields have proper units in there who are big strong bastards but can also move with the ball quickly both carrying it and passing it. We rely (perhaps top much) on our wide players to provide that.

As for being out of the top 2 race, always feels worse when you lose ground and others overtake. The other 3 teams are stupidly strong for the level really but they have tougher games than us ('on paper') coming up and if we're still in touch by the run-in then you have to hope there's still a chance. My gut feeling right now though is I think we'll be close but miss out, and if we're to get promoted we'll need to do it automatically.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Slow and Ponderous on 17:38 - Feb 10 with 1580 viewsVaughan8

Teams have worked out that sitting in, we can't break them down easily.

I felt for most of the game we were too slow and WBA got players back and defended pretty well.

Definitely need to sometimes break away or have a burst of being quick. Seems a bit predictable at the moment.

However having said that, we don't lose many. Just too many draws lately.
Slow and Ponderous on 18:26 - Feb 10 with 1463 viewstextbackup

Slow and Ponderous on 17:38 - Feb 10 by Vaughan8

Teams have worked out that sitting in, we can't break them down easily.

I felt for most of the game we were too slow and WBA got players back and defended pretty well.

Definitely need to sometimes break away or have a burst of being quick. Seems a bit predictable at the moment.

However having said that, we don't lose many. Just too many draws lately.

I think Al-hamadis movement and pace could help. Have him on the defenders shoulders, a through ball…

Who's gonna play.... on 18:33 - Feb 10 with 1422 viewsBloots

Slow and Ponderous on 18:26 - Feb 10 by textbackup

I think Al-hamadis movement and pace could help. Have him on the defenders shoulders, a through ball…

....that through ball though?

Our CMs don't have it in their game and our wide attackers can only really play that little diagonal cross to nobody.

I guess whoever is "10" could try it.

Maybe.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Slow and Ponderous on 18:37 - Feb 10 with 1394 viewsVegtablue

I think it's space, ability & form rather than something we may easily correct. We look great when the opposition drops off, either because we've knackered them with our overall intensity or because they're protecting a result. The press against us is so much better than it was in the first few months.
Slow and Ponderous on 18:47 - Feb 10 with 1329 viewsGarv

Slow and Ponderous on 17:11 - Feb 10 by textbackup

Sorry, I had a sudden sense of needing to defend the team, I just think they won't be accepting that 2nd is gone so we shouldn't either. You probably don't need to grow a pair.

We are a bit slow and ponderous in our attacks when teams sit back like 80 mins onwards today. We're incredibly patient when most teams wouldn't be. Even at 97:30 Morsy and Woolfenden were tapping it between each other. Not a bad things, commendable if anything.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Slow and Ponderous on 18:47 - Feb 10 with 1327 viewscbower

Slow and Ponderous on 17:02 - Feb 10 by Chrisd

We are at our best when we move it quicker. When Morsy turns and drive 20-30 yards. When Leif has some space infront of him to drive into because we have moved the ball at pace to create the extra space. A major culprit for me in slowing everything down is Woolfenden. The rolling the ball under his studs at walking pace before a 15 yard pass to his full back, centre back partner or sometimes into Morsy allows teams to either a) get a press going or b) get back into a cohesive defensiive shape. I've said elsewhere, he has stopped bringing it forward himself and has become too predictable in possession. Today I felt Burns slowed us down constantly too. There was a marked difference when Hutch came on in terms of forward impetus. A team like WBA are set up to have opponents play infront of them, methodically passing across the pitch, searching for the gap. We can do this but it's slow. Move it faster and we're more effective and so much more enjoyable to watch.

bluescouser

Who's gonna play.... on 18:49 - Feb 10 with 1318 viewstextbackup

Who's gonna play.... on 18:33 - Feb 10 by Bloots

Our CMs don't have it in their game and our wide attackers can only really play that little diagonal cross to nobody.

Maybe.

Based on the filthy balls Broadhead played last season I’d suggest him… but he seems to be lost at present (although slightly better today)

Slow and Ponderous on 18:53 - Feb 10 with 1301 viewsBseaBlue

Problem is, we keep giving teams head starts. They then proceed with the sitting in and time wasting tactics which makes things difficult for us.

Stop conceding the silly goals and that might change things.
Who's gonna play.... on 19:07 - Feb 10 with 1273 viewsGlasgowBlue

Who's gonna play.... on 18:33 - Feb 10 by Bloots

Maybe.

I think our last through ball to a forward was when Travis played it to Jackson against Sunderland. That was 13th January.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Slow and Ponderous on 19:39 - Feb 10 with 1202 viewsJimmy86

West Brom were exactly the one team to not be slow and ponderous against, as they are good defensively, well drilled and really organised... I don't know whether it's a case of teams have worked us out, or whether our style of play is not quite as fluid as it was? It always looked so easy on the eye, it was almost 2nd nature..

Often seem to think our movement off the ball is not quite there, the amount of times a CB will stand with the ball at their feet and just stand there, as there's no movement in front of him, hopefully we can start to pick up again a bit, as we're still in a great position...
Slow and Ponderous on 21:13 - Feb 10 with 963 viewsChrisd

Slow and Ponderous on 18:47 - Feb 10 by cbower

We are at our best when we move it quicker. When Morsy turns and drive 20-30 yards. When Leif has some space infront of him to drive into because we have moved the ball at pace to create the extra space. A major culprit for me in slowing everything down is Woolfenden. The rolling the ball under his studs at walking pace before a 15 yard pass to his full back, centre back partner or sometimes into Morsy allows teams to either a) get a press going or b) get back into a cohesive defensiive shape. I've said elsewhere, he has stopped bringing it forward himself and has become too predictable in possession. Today I felt Burns slowed us down constantly too. There was a marked difference when Hutch came on in terms of forward impetus. A team like WBA are set up to have opponents play infront of them, methodically passing across the pitch, searching for the gap. We can do this but it's slow. Move it faster and we're more effective and so much more enjoyable to watch.

100% agree with this cbower.

Slow and Ponderous on 21:28 - Feb 10 with 926 viewstextbackup

Slow and Ponderous on 18:47 - Feb 10 by Garv

Sorry, I had a sudden sense of needing to defend the team, I just think they won't be accepting that 2nd is gone so we shouldn't either. You probably don't need to grow a pair.

We are a bit slow and ponderous in our attacks when teams sit back like 80 mins onwards today. We're incredibly patient when most teams wouldn't be. Even at 97:30 Morsy and Woolfenden were tapping it between each other. Not a bad things, commendable if anything.

And it nearly got us a goal, their keeper palmed it away really brilliantly

Slow and Ponderous on 21:32 - Feb 10 with 914 viewspointofblue

Slow and Ponderous on 18:47 - Feb 10 by Garv

If I'm recalling right, Woolfenden played a beautifully chipped ball into Clarke, which led to Palmer saving from Moore. From the resulting corner we scored.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024