Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) 11:24 - Jan 28 with 4251 viewsunstableblue

Broadhead for me is our most talented permanent player.

He has been a success at Ipswich.

He has previously been able to bring that bit of magic to win us games.

But he has been out of form for a long time now.

For me if we had started Harness and Chaplin instead of Broadhead and Aluko we would have cruised to the win we deserved.

Nothing is sticking for Broadhead, and his head is now down.

Broadhead form has been obvious for months. I personally think McKenna has been correct to keep faith in him, his form will turn. BUT we now can’t afford to carry him. Sarmiento will have been brought in, in part to cover this form dip. He now needs to start. And harness should move up the pecking order.

Broadhead as a striker in this form is not a solution and if we don’t get a striker in by Presto then start Jackson, or Chaplin.

Let’s hope Broadhead can have a super sub moment and start building back to form. An on fire Broadhead and we’d be 3 or 4 points better off.

As for Aluko, a rare black mark on McKenna, he is not right for a first team start nowadays.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:47 - Jan 28 with 3382 viewsIllinoisblue

Aluko appears to be not fit for purpose but if McKenna thinks he’s a good and important character to have in the dressing room ( this year’s Keogh) so be it, even if that seems a waste of a squad place.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:50 - Jan 28 with 3362 viewsunstableblue

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:47 - Jan 28 by Illinoisblue

Aluko appears to be not fit for purpose but if McKenna thinks he’s a good and important character to have in the dressing room ( this year’s Keogh) so be it, even if that seems a waste of a squad place.

Aluko is clearly a very positive influence in training and the playing squad

So no problem with that

But you start Burns or Chaplin instead of him yesterday we win

And no board meltdown

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:52 - Jan 28 with 3355 viewsPhilTWTD

Thought Broadhead looked like he was trying too hard all the time, notably when he took the ball off Taylor's foot when he otherwise seemed certain to score. Needs a couple of games to go well and a goal or two, and perhaps not playing in a less familiar role.
Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:52 - Jan 28 with 3313 viewsFrimleyBlue

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:47 - Jan 28 by Illinoisblue

Well not really its bad management.

Doesn't matter what else he's achieved. The inclusion of aluko as a starter was wrong.

But more importantly. As I said yesterday how bad is our academy that we didn't have 1 single midfielder who could play against a 6th tier side..

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:53 - Jan 28 with 3329 viewsPhilTWTD

For all Sone's frustrations yesterday, he did create a chance that should have set us on the way in the first 10 minutes or so.
Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:53 - Jan 28 with 3305 viewsFrimleyBlue

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:52 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

Thought Broadhead looked like he was trying too hard all the time, notably when he took the ball off Taylor's foot when he otherwise seemed certain to score. Needs a couple of games to go well and a goal or two, and perhaps not playing in a less familiar role.

He's very nervous

That one on one early on. All he had to do was finish like the part timer did and its in the net. Didn't even need much of a dink.. any dink would have done.

Waka waka eh eh

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:54 - Jan 28 with 3305 viewschicoazul

Does it not occur to anyone that McK clearly didn’t give a tinkers cuss about the game yesterday, hence no Jackson or Woolf and Aluko playing? I feel more or less the same way. Being humiliated on tv is a small price to pay if it means promotion.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:55 - Jan 28 with 3286 viewsFrimleyBlue

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:53 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

For all Sone's frustrations yesterday, he did create a chance that should have set us on the way in the first 10 minutes or so.

As he should Phil. He was playing against maidstone.

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:56 - Jan 28 with 3284 viewsnodge_blue

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:52 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

That was so frustrating. When they weren't getting the blocks in we were doing it for them.

I feel a bit sorry for Aluko as he's clearly game rusty and nothing was coming of for him.

Broadhead also seemed to just be off balance for his chance and needed to compose.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:13 - Jan 28 with 3134 viewsTrequartista

I thought Aluko was trying too hard as well to be fair to him, his touches and general play were ok at first, it was the trying to take players on for pace that undid him and then after that his confidence and touch deserted him

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:15 - Jan 28 with 3126 viewsTractorWood

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:54 - Jan 28 by chicoazul

Does it not occur to anyone that McK clearly didn’t give a tinkers cuss about the game yesterday, hence no Jackson or Woolf and Aluko playing? I feel more or less the same way. Being humiliated on tv is a small price to pay if it means promotion.

This was my thinking. It was a reasonably poor line up. Realistically he knows that the FA cup is not a remote priority given we are 2nd.

It hurts this weekend but if we win a couple in the league from here on, reading between the lines, it wasn't a bad line up.

The subs were kind of baffling too.

A couple of questions were also answered:
- Walton did nothing to imply he should be in the 1st team
- Broadhead needs a rest and some time coming off the bench
- Hutchison is a real asset in the right system
- our options up top are pretty dire
[Post edited 28 Jan 12:16]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:15 - Jan 28 with 3124 viewsTrequartista

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:54 - Jan 28 by chicoazul

There's certainly some truth in that. Why take off Sarmiento when he's flying and 7 days until the next game?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:23 - Jan 28 with 3049 viewspointofblue

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:15 - Jan 28 by TractorWood

This was my thinking. It was a reasonably poor line up. Realistically he knows that the FA cup is not a remote priority given we are 2nd.

It hurts this weekend but if we win a couple in the league from here on, reading between the lines, it wasn't a bad line up.

Other than Humphreys and Aluko instead of Williams and Harness, I’d argue it was a stronger line up than played Wolves in the League Cup and won - Hladky, Ball, Williams, Edmundson, Baggott, Evans, Taylor, Jackson, Harness, Hutchinson, Ladapo.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:25 - Jan 28 with 3023 viewsbluesym

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:15 - Jan 28 by TractorWood

How can you make any judgement on Walton based on yesterday? He was exposed by poor defending for the only 2 chances Maidstone had in the whole game.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:32 - Jan 28 with 2969 viewspointofblue

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:25 - Jan 28 by bluesym

How can you make any judgement on Walton based on yesterday? He was exposed by poor defending for the only 2 chances Maidstone had in the whole game.

Know it may sound harsh but thought he was in no man’s land for both. Didn’t stay on line, didn’t narrow the angle.

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:33 - Jan 28 with 2944 viewsTractorWood

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:25 - Jan 28 by bluesym

Not sure his angles were right on the second. Beaten in no man's land at front post. Hyper critical I know but if you are on the bench waiting for any opportunity, you have to do something special.

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:33 - Jan 28 with 2941 viewsPhilTWTD

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:13 - Jan 28 by Trequartista

I thought Aluko was trying too hard as well to be fair to him, his touches and general play were ok at first, it was the trying to take players on for pace that undid him and then after that his confidence and touch deserted him

Yes, I think he tried to do things at times which he wouldn't in Championship matches, and wasn't the only one.
Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:34 - Jan 28 with 2930 viewsTractorWood

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:32 - Jan 28 by pointofblue

Know it may sound harsh but thought he was in no man’s land for both. Didn’t stay on line, didn’t narrow the angle.

Great minds 😉

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:38 - Jan 28 with 2871 viewsPhilTWTD

He took the same approach he has for all cup games, using the match to give fringe players minutes to keep them up to speed. Similar approach saw us beat Wolves earlier in the season. As others have said, 99 times out of 100 we'd have won that game.
Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:39 - Jan 28 with 2848 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think they all were Phil. On many occasions players were taking an extra touch to see if they could beat a man themselves when there was an easy pass on for a give and go. It just slowed us down. That example of Broady's was probably the most costly though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:51 - Jan 28 with 2758 viewsstonojnr

maybe if Taylor wasnt waiting for the perfect moment to move his foot towards the ball it wouldnt have happened, Im not blaming Broadhead for that one, it wasnt intentional, and he cant just vanish out the way in that situation.

no ones moaning for instance, whoever it was, and it wasnt Broadhead at least, took a ball to the face perfectly to deflect a goal heading shot wide for getting in the way.
Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:53 - Jan 28 with 2735 viewsBloomBlue

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 11:55 - Jan 28 by FrimleyBlue

As he should Phil. He was playing against maidstone.

Classic entitled Ipswich Town fan comment.

Fans need to understand just because we're playing against a team from non league that doesn't automatically make them cr@p and we should be able to simply walk over them.
When it's 11 v 11 and the opposition are running themselves into the ground it doesn't mean the player who is paid millions can automatically play as if those paid 100s aren't on the pitch.

Taking that further if we had progressed and got a club like Man City in the next round then best we simply handed them the game without playing. After all what's the point of even trying to play against a team like City and their multi million pound players.

At the end of the day no Town player had a great game yesterday, yes some where worse than others. Like the first goal, how do we allow their forward to run that far without a challenge?
Second goal, ok their is a pull on the shirt but come on, a shirt pull, ffs you need to be stronger there, as the shirt is pulled throw your arm back connect with the player.

Too many, fans and players, went into that game without the respect Maidstone deserved and that's what happens especially in cup games.
Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:53 - Jan 28 with 2730 viewspointofblue

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:51 - Jan 28 by stonojnr

maybe if Taylor wasnt waiting for the perfect moment to move his foot towards the ball it wouldnt have happened, Im not blaming Broadhead for that one, it wasnt intentional, and he cant just vanish out the way in that situation.

no ones moaning for instance, whoever it was, and it wasnt Broadhead at least, took a ball to the face perfectly to deflect a goal heading shot wide for getting in the way.

That was Aluko. And he’s getting a lot of criticism on here.

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 14:12 - Jan 28 with 2367 viewsVegtablue

That would be the wrong conclusion IMO. To my mind, Jackson was less suitable for that game than most. His attributes don't lend themselves to leading the line against low block, low possession, highly compact sides. My first choice for Leicester and Sunderland but my last choice for Maidstone.

Sarmiento and Hutchinson are our most talented players on the ball and were most suited to giving Maidstone a torrid time, which they did. Broadhead was most suited to playing at 9 and has more minutes / starts this season than all attacking players apart from Chaplin. Morsy is our captain, Edmundson is our 1st choice LCB with Burgess away.

That's 5 positions in which he fielded our strongest option, and elsewhere it was our next best option in all positions apart from Aluko. Aluko was very good for half of the 1st half, FWIW, before hitting the wall and I was surprised to see him reappear for the 2nd. If we didn't have confidence starting Humphreys, Ball, Tuanzebe, Taylor and Walton against 6th tier opposition, well, there would be severe problems with the playing squad. The outfield players have all started league games against 2nd tier opposition for us and come on in multiple. Walton was 1st choice in the 3rd tier.

The gain from exiting the cup yesterday was minimal. If fatigue became an issue later in the campaign, we could have opted to play a much weaker side in the 5th round than we put out today. What we lost, aside from professional pride and the psychological penalty, was £120K in winner's revenue and the opportunity to compete for much more in the next round. In the world of FFP that would have been handy. A top 5th round TV draw could have netted us £1M+ (Cambridge earned seven figures for their 4th round tie against Man Utd a few years back), while a poor draw could have seen us bank £250K reward for winning it. Not to be!

Lastly, McKenna wouldn't have brought on Chappers, Leif and Clarke in a match he had little interest in. We wouldn't have flown out of the traps in the way we did both halves. He was clearly hurting in his interview. And he put out a side that recorded 38 shots to 2, 22 shots inside the box to 1, 78% possession to 22%, 88% passing accuracy to 50%, 6 big chances to 2, and so on.
Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 14:22 - Jan 28 with 2304 viewsFrimleyBlue

Let’s have a sensible discussion of Broadhead (and Aluko) on 12:53 - Jan 28 by BloomBlue

Classic entitled Ipswich Town fan comment.

Fans need to understand just because we're playing against a team from non league that doesn't automatically make them cr@p and we should be able to simply walk over them.
When it's 11 v 11 and the opposition are running themselves into the ground it doesn't mean the player who is paid millions can automatically play as if those paid 100s aren't on the pitch.

Taking that further if we had progressed and got a club like Man City in the next round then best we simply handed them the game without playing. After all what's the point of even trying to play against a team like City and their multi million pound players.

At the end of the day no Town player had a great game yesterday, yes some where worse than others. Like the first goal, how do we allow their forward to run that far without a challenge?
Second goal, ok their is a pull on the shirt but come on, a shirt pull, ffs you need to be stronger there, as the shirt is pulled throw your arm back connect with the player.

Too many, fans and players, went into that game without the respect Maidstone deserved and that's what happens especially in cup games.

Not sure why you're comparing a Prof 2nd place champ side v man city. To a Prof 2nd place champ side v 6th tier part time footballers.

Absolutely 10000% I would expect a midfielder being paid thousands of £s to be able to create an opportunity for someone to score.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024