Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case 21:26 - Jan 26 with 2697 viewsFrimleyBlue

I'm not referring to anything other than one thing which was the prior window talk of having funds available.

Now we know no club is gonna believe we have millions as we don't due to ffp. But is there a case where you cam mess your negotiations up a tad by being so open about your ability to spend despite ffp restrictions.

Kms words today are spot on really. We need to get players but have our limits. Not a shock that is exactly the case and the same for plenty others.

But has Ashton dug himself a hole by saying limiting summer spends enabled us to have more for this window.

Before anyone says this is a pile on it isn't I'm just curious to know people's thoughts.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:29 - Jan 26 with 2646 viewsSwansea_Blue

I doubt it. It’s pretty obvious we’re not one of the clubs with high purchasing power in this league.It’s a reasonably slow window for a lot of teams.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:30 - Jan 26 with 2634 viewsKieran_Knows

Ashton could tell people to jump out of an airplane from 30,000 feet without a parachute and they’d stick the landing, and some people would genuinely believe him and try it.
[Post edited 26 Jan 21:31]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:43 - Jan 26 with 2516 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I don’t think the thoughts of a single person can be defined as a ‘pile on’

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:49 - Jan 26 with 2473 viewsFrimleyBlue

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:29 - Jan 26 by Swansea_Blue

I doubt it. It’s pretty obvious we’re not one of the clubs with high purchasing power in this league.It’s a reasonably slow window for a lot of teams.

Yeah I get that. I just meant for example this gallagher deal. If Blackburn are holding out waiting for us to go higher as we've said we've got cash to spare. Whereas if we'd plead some form of football poverty they might be thinking sht we want rid. They're the only ones in etc better take what we can get.

Just kinda feel it doesn't help a club in the Jan window to be going into it whilst saying you've got funds a plenty to spend. Kinda kills your negotiation imo.

Waka waka eh eh

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:53 - Jan 26 with 2441 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:49 - Jan 26 by FrimleyBlue

Yeah I get that. I just meant for example this gallagher deal. If Blackburn are holding out waiting for us to go higher as we've said we've got cash to spare. Whereas if we'd plead some form of football poverty they might be thinking sht we want rid. They're the only ones in etc better take what we can get.

Just kinda feel it doesn't help a club in the Jan window to be going into it whilst saying you've got funds a plenty to spend. Kinda kills your negotiation imo.

If Blackburn have been reading Ashton's snippets in the press (which I doubt, but let's put that to one side for a moment) surely they'd also be reading his comments about staying within FFP?

In short, I think you're overthinking.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:53 - Jan 26 with 2430 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:43 - Jan 26 by Cheltenham_Blue

I don’t think the thoughts of a single person can be defined as a ‘pile on’

Unless it's a really big person.

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:57 - Jan 26 with 2393 viewsFrimleyBlue

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:53 - Jan 26 by The_Flashing_Smile

If Blackburn have been reading Ashton's snippets in the press (which I doubt, but let's put that to one side for a moment) surely they'd also be reading his comments about staying within FFP?

In short, I think you're overthinking.

Of course but ffp Isn't new and Blackburn themselves will be fully aware or how it works.

But having a gander round the clubs. Not many have been vocal about having the types of funds Ashton was vocal about having.

I probably am over thinking it. I just can't see the logic in waving hypothetical £50 notes around and then trying to buy a 2nd hand ferrari whilst claiming poverty as you wanna get it for a tenner.

Waka waka eh eh

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 22:07 - Jan 26 with 2316 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I don’t think fan pleasing is going against him, and I certainly don’t disapprove of recruiting prospects however that’s not what we require right now. For me it’s a logic argument, why would you loan out Ladapo who for all his faults was a very good player last season and does have some record of performing at this level both at Rotherham and here, and bring in someone from the 4th tier who’s presently away, with no record at this level, let alone League One.

I think he’ll get away with it in the short term, but should this be another Ahadme/Camara type signing and we don’t have as good as second half of the season as first, people will pin it on this moment and our failure to bring in a forward like a Stansfield, Moore or Gallagher.

As Terry Butcher said, feels like we’re shopping below the standard we need just because, rather than anything else.
Login to get fewer ads

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 22:16 - Jan 26 with 2263 viewsMetal_Hacker

If FFP is an issue why would Blackburn ruin the chance of getting a “burden “ off their books as it seems they need to ? Surely they wouldn’t gamble with FFP being a real thing - pushing us higher and higher knowing all clubs not just ourselves find FFP a struggle

They’d be shooting themselves in the foot

Ashton isn’t the problem here - it’s Blackburn

Poll: If it were one or the other

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 22:34 - Jan 26 with 2160 viewsCoastalblue

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 22:07 - Jan 26 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I don’t think fan pleasing is going against him, and I certainly don’t disapprove of recruiting prospects however that’s not what we require right now. For me it’s a logic argument, why would you loan out Ladapo who for all his faults was a very good player last season and does have some record of performing at this level both at Rotherham and here, and bring in someone from the 4th tier who’s presently away, with no record at this level, let alone League One.

I think he’ll get away with it in the short term, but should this be another Ahadme/Camara type signing and we don’t have as good as second half of the season as first, people will pin it on this moment and our failure to bring in a forward like a Stansfield, Moore or Gallagher.

As Terry Butcher said, feels like we’re shopping below the standard we need just because, rather than anything else.

That signing is clearly not one bought with the thoughts of him firing us to promotion though, he's presumably a project that KM believes he can polish into something brighter and better.

Just because we haven't landed a first team striker doesn't mean all other recruitment goes on hold, and Lapado wasn't getting minutes anyway and may well have been pushing to go somewhere where he will, can't blame him for that either he's not 21.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 22:56 - Jan 26 with 2061 viewsPhilTWTD

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 22:16 - Jan 26 by Metal_Hacker

If FFP is an issue why would Blackburn ruin the chance of getting a “burden “ off their books as it seems they need to ? Surely they wouldn’t gamble with FFP being a real thing - pushing us higher and higher knowing all clubs not just ourselves find FFP a struggle

They’d be shooting themselves in the foot

Ashton isn’t the problem here - it’s Blackburn

Think they're more worried about not having enough strikers and getting relegated.
Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 23:03 - Jan 26 with 1993 viewsITFC_Forever

Everyone one knows we’re not a parachute club and haven’t had a £20m sale, so we’d be restricted.

It doesn’t take much to work out.

FFP, transfer windows and parachute payments are all there to give safety nets to the teams at the top. The higher up you are, the more safety nets you have.

ME wasn’t a great owner, but he was right about FFP restricting a side trying to better themselves.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 23:04 - Jan 26 with 1990 viewsgtsb1966

FFP includes wages. Please ignore the bulls**t you read on twitter or whatever it is now. Wages nowadays are more important than a transfer fee.
Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 23:32 - Jan 26 with 1874 viewsreusersfreekicks

My thought is nonsense
Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 00:35 - Jan 27 with 1784 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:57 - Jan 26 by FrimleyBlue

Of course but ffp Isn't new and Blackburn themselves will be fully aware or how it works.

But having a gander round the clubs. Not many have been vocal about having the types of funds Ashton was vocal about having.

I probably am over thinking it. I just can't see the logic in waving hypothetical £50 notes around and then trying to buy a 2nd hand ferrari whilst claiming poverty as you wanna get it for a tenner.

Maybe he was just pointing out the truth. Money isn't an issue for Gamechanger, but FFP is.

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 01:32 - Jan 27 with 1706 viewsJ2BLUE

No. Clubs know we have money but FFP is an issue. That's not exactly hard to work out.

Ashton has largely delivered in his time here. He's more accessible and open that Evans but I don't think he tries to please fans with promises. I suspect he's one of the most frustrated about our lack of strikers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 07:06 - Jan 27 with 1502 viewsNedPlimpton

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 01:32 - Jan 27 by J2BLUE

No. Clubs know we have money but FFP is an issue. That's not exactly hard to work out.

Ashton has largely delivered in his time here. He's more accessible and open that Evans but I don't think he tries to please fans with promises. I suspect he's one of the most frustrated about our lack of strikers.

How close we sail to the wind in terms of FFP isn't any other clubs concern and knowing we have money is surely going to get them to push us as far as they can

I don't believe that Ashton's comments will have hurt us in that respect, as surely clubs are all pretty aware of each others financial position. But having money probably isn't doing us any favours when it comes to negotiations
Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 07:35 - Jan 27 with 1403 viewsITFCSG

Anyone remember this interview with MA from Nov last year on the January transfer window?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23922181.ipswich-town-mark-ashton-january-transfer-

While MA did touch on FFP, stating in public that “Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash” together with using language such as “brave and bold”, “more firepower to go again in January”, and having a “headroom” for FFP does little to help us in signing players. Clubs will be thinking we are flush with cash and are all holding out for more. Like Blackburn for Gallagher.

Also, this just unnecessarily whips up the expectation of fans that we will sign a star Champ striker in the mould of Piroe, A Armstrong or Tella. And when this (obviously) doesn’t happen it is clear that many will start voicing their displeasure which can be seen from the reactions to the players we are linked with recently.
Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 08:01 - Jan 27 with 1304 viewsMK1

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 21:49 - Jan 26 by FrimleyBlue

If you have an asset and somebody else wants it, you will try and get as much as possible for said asset. It ain't difficult.
Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 08:16 - Jan 27 with 1249 viewslurcher

The agents all know who is prepared to spend what and who is buying and selling, club wealth is almost an open book in football circles. We do have millions, but we have to look after the assets we have in reserve. We had an offer of 3.5million accepted for Ellis Simms in the summer. Other clubs will know that we have money from the players we are pursuing. What Ashton says is irrelevant. You can tell your mates that you are skint but if you order a new ferrari, have an extension built and book an expensive holiday, it's your round.
Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 08:24 - Jan 27 with 1201 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 07:35 - Jan 27 by ITFCSG

Anyone remember this interview with MA from Nov last year on the January transfer window?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23922181.ipswich-town-mark-ashton-january-transfer-

While MA did touch on FFP, stating in public that “Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash” together with using language such as “brave and bold”, “more firepower to go again in January”, and having a “headroom” for FFP does little to help us in signing players. Clubs will be thinking we are flush with cash and are all holding out for more. Like Blackburn for Gallagher.

Also, this just unnecessarily whips up the expectation of fans that we will sign a star Champ striker in the mould of Piroe, A Armstrong or Tella. And when this (obviously) doesn’t happen it is clear that many will start voicing their displeasure which can be seen from the reactions to the players we are linked with recently.

I tell you what I remember: the last time you posted it. Your copy n paste buttons are working well, this is at least the second time you've said the same thing word for word.

As I said the first time you posted it (which you didn't respond to);

We're 2nd in the Championship, having broken all records for a newly promoted club, and you're angry with the CEO?!

WTF is wrong with you?
[Post edited 27 Jan 8:27]

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 08:32 - Jan 27 with 1163 viewsBloomBlue

Nope. Other football clubs aren't going to be hanging off the words of MA, plus they don't need to. There was plenty of noise when we had the new owners join and how rich the pension fund is. Town were also big spenders in L1 terms, other clubs will be more than aware of Town's financial situation without MAs comments.
Also if MA had said something like we have £50million to spend on players I might agree with you, but he basically said we kept some money back from our summer spending to use if required in Jan.

I think any club with a striker potentially available will be aware Hirst is out for most of the season, they will be thinking Town are desperate, hold on for now there is still a week to go.
Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 08:43 - Jan 27 with 1110 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 08:32 - Jan 27 by BloomBlue

Nope. Other football clubs aren't going to be hanging off the words of MA, plus they don't need to. There was plenty of noise when we had the new owners join and how rich the pension fund is. Town were also big spenders in L1 terms, other clubs will be more than aware of Town's financial situation without MAs comments.
Also if MA had said something like we have £50million to spend on players I might agree with you, but he basically said we kept some money back from our summer spending to use if required in Jan.

I think any club with a striker potentially available will be aware Hirst is out for most of the season, they will be thinking Town are desperate, hold on for now there is still a week to go.

Indeed, all this plus I'd add they will also know we're prepared to wait to get the right players, as we've done a few times since Gamechanger took over. And they won't be 100% sure what other options we have - if they push it too far or wait too long, they could lose out altogether as we go for someone else (this is the point, Frimmers, why we don't want leaks coming out of the club).

It's a game of cat and mouse (or more accurately, the card game Pontoon) with both the buying and selling club trying to get the best for themselves, whilst also not running out of time and either missing out on a player or being stuck with a player they don't really want or doesn't want to play for them.

Nothing Ashton has or hasn't said in the press will make a blind bit of difference.

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 09:03 - Jan 27 with 1030 viewsBlueBadger

Has Ashtons fan pleasing gone against us this window. A specific case on 07:35 - Jan 27 by ITFCSG

And how is the weather in Bristol today?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024