Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1994/95 10:14 - Nov 23 with 2332 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I know this is a bit of a weird line of thought, just saw Mogga turned 60 and thought imagine if he had arrived just a year earlier and it got me thinking about that season (and how bad it was). Do we think we could have survived at all had George Burley been appointed in the summer rather than mid-way through? Although we did do badly, we still only needed to win 6 more games to stay up, which seems mad that we lost that many in the end. Burley did start getting the team playing better, even if the results were a bit poor, and mixed such as beating Liverpool at their place and getting smashed by Manure. You could see the direction and progression despite the results, it was just too late into the season and we had Wark and Linighan at the back who were frankly too old.

If Burley had been appointed earlier, assuming we would have still signed Taricco and utilised him earlier, got Vaughan and Tanner into the side earlier, still signed Thomsen and Sedgley who worked quite well together under Burley, brought Mowbray and Mathie in earlier, could we have made a better go of it? Obviously we could have done without signing Paz and offloading a few others earlier. Would Marshall and Mathie have worked in the top flight? I think it would have. However, I don't recall Marshall playing that much that season, nor Stockwell, were they injured?

Also that home kit, I would argue (and still) that was the best Umbro produced for Town, just a shame it is associated with such a poor season.

https://media.e-subsidesports.com/feeds/images/product/hd/1000/IpswichHSS9495-G8
1994/95 on 10:24 - Nov 23 with 2255 viewsMattinLondon

That is still my all time favourite Town kit. But, take away that strange surrounding white shield then it would be even better.
1994/95 on 10:30 - Nov 23 with 2236 viewsWeWereZombies

But that's a lot of ifs...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

1994/95 on 10:55 - Nov 23 with 2161 viewsSomethingBlue

Honestly, I don't think a lot could have helped us that season. We'd been in consistent decline since the second half of 1992/93 and the whole thing needed a reboot. In hindsight I find it fairly remarkable that we lasted three seasons up there with the core of that squad, and there were some great moments even if it ended up pretty sour.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

1994/95 on 11:08 - Nov 23 with 2109 viewsDubtractor

1994/95 on 10:55 - Nov 23 by SomethingBlue

Honestly, I don't think a lot could have helped us that season. We'd been in consistent decline since the second half of 1992/93 and the whole thing needed a reboot. In hindsight I find it fairly remarkable that we lasted three seasons up there with the core of that squad, and there were some great moments even if it ended up pretty sour.

We weren't really expected to get promoted in 92 were we, let alone to then hold our own in the top flight (if only for half a season! ).

Looking at the squad from 92 there isn't much flair in it!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

1994/95 on 11:09 - Nov 23 with 2101 viewschicoazul

Clive Barker, Geraint Williams, Warky playing right wing at 49. The streets will never forget.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

1994/95 on 11:18 - Nov 23 with 2073 viewsMach_foreignBlue

A young, inexperienced manager.

An ageing squad.

There was no chance whatsoever.
1994/95 on 11:35 - Nov 23 with 1997 viewsSmithersJones

Despite all of the Paul-induced pain of recent times, I've never started a season with lower expectations than 94/95. I think we'd got something like 3 points from the last 11 games the previous season, only stayed up as a result of Mark Stein scoring for Chelsea against Sheff Utd and hadn't really improved. It was just a case of playing the games and waiting for the inevitable.
1994/95 on 11:57 - Nov 23 with 1958 viewswkj

1994/95 on 11:18 - Nov 23 by Mach_foreignBlue

A young, inexperienced manager.

An ageing squad.

There was no chance whatsoever.

See, now THAT is the correct way to talk about Hurst, Chambers and Skuse

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

1994/95 on 12:01 - Nov 23 with 1934 viewsMach_foreignBlue

1994/95 on 11:57 - Nov 23 by wkj

See, now THAT is the correct way to talk about Hurst, Chambers and Skuse

Crikey !
1994/95 on 12:21 - Nov 23 with 1878 viewsSomethingBlue

1994/95 on 11:08 - Nov 23 by Dubtractor

We weren't really expected to get promoted in 92 were we, let alone to then hold our own in the top flight (if only for half a season! ).

Looking at the squad from 92 there isn't much flair in it!

It was a great, and very much underrated, achievement by Lyall to get us up in ‘92. Perhaps if he’d have stayed motivated it might have ended differently although to be honest I doubt it. What those three years in the Prem did, though, were keep the club relevant at a time when we could easily have sunk.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

1994/95 on 12:49 - Nov 23 with 1814 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

1994/95 on 12:21 - Nov 23 by SomethingBlue

It was a great, and very much underrated, achievement by Lyall to get us up in ‘92. Perhaps if he’d have stayed motivated it might have ended differently although to be honest I doubt it. What those three years in the Prem did, though, were keep the club relevant at a time when we could easily have sunk.

I actually think the 1991/92 squad actually had some very good players in it, Craig Forrest, Mick Stockwell, Frank Yallop, John Wark, Simon Milton, Zondervan, Chris Kiwomya, Jason Dozzell, Neil Thompson, Paul Goddard and Steve Whitton for example. I think if anything a lot of them had underachieved in seasons previous and we looked like a good team in 1992/93 and were pushing top half for a chunk of the season. 1993/94 was Mick McGiven playing functional, point grabbing football combined with losing the fantastic Kiwomya and Dozzell partnership which nearly sank us.

But with a clean slate in 1994 and had Lyall gone sooner there would have been an opportunity to rebuild better surely? We did actually recruit a few good players in the summer.
1994/95 on 14:23 - Nov 23 with 1627 viewsWeWereZombies

1994/95 on 11:09 - Nov 23 by chicoazul

Clive Barker, Geraint Williams, Warky playing right wing at 49. The streets will never forget.

And Clive Barker was spending most of his time writing 'Weaveworld', no good having someone in goal with their mind on other things...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

1994/95 on 14:24 - Nov 23 with 1623 viewsHerbivore

I guess it's possible to see a scenario where, if we'd had a different manager and different players, things might have gone differently.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

1994/95 on 14:34 - Nov 23 with 1603 viewsburnbudgiesburn

It was inevitable, we were in decline and lacked any sort of pace at the back. We expected to get relegated at the start of the season frankly.

1985/6 bugs me more. We couldn't score in a brothel, but defensively we were sound and never took any spankings. Our younger players were coming into their own too, imagine Dozzell, Atkinson & Brennan doing their learning in the top flight and being able to keep hold of Butcher. With Forrest & Kiwomya to come shortly as well.

I only recently learned on lifesapitch that Butcher wanted to play in the 2nd division to get us back up.
1994/95 on 14:53 - Nov 23 with 1566 viewschicoazul

1994/95 on 12:21 - Nov 23 by SomethingBlue

92 is the single greatest achievement in the clubs history, achieved as it was by a bunch of misfits weirdos cast offs and youths set against massive spending and high level players at Newcastle Blackburn and Derby. Our midfield was a Cambridge don and a small bloke from Bury. I will die on this hill.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

1994/95 on 14:55 - Nov 23 with 1557 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

1994/95 on 14:34 - Nov 23 by burnbudgiesburn

It was inevitable, we were in decline and lacked any sort of pace at the back. We expected to get relegated at the start of the season frankly.

1985/6 bugs me more. We couldn't score in a brothel, but defensively we were sound and never took any spankings. Our younger players were coming into their own too, imagine Dozzell, Atkinson & Brennan doing their learning in the top flight and being able to keep hold of Butcher. With Forrest & Kiwomya to come shortly as well.

I only recently learned on lifesapitch that Butcher wanted to play in the 2nd division to get us back up.

If only he had stayed, to be honest we made a few mistakes in that regard, offloading players like Mills, Osman, Gates and Burley who wanted to stay too early. It was madness looking back on it. I think nearly all of them went on to play a good few more seasons in the top flight after us.
1994/95 on 16:01 - Nov 23 with 1457 viewsHighgateBlue

1994/95 on 14:53 - Nov 23 by chicoazul

92 is the single greatest achievement in the clubs history, achieved as it was by a bunch of misfits weirdos cast offs and youths set against massive spending and high level players at Newcastle Blackburn and Derby. Our midfield was a Cambridge don and a small bloke from Bury. I will die on this hill.

If you're referring to Steve Palmer, the closest he got to being a don was when he actually signed for MK Dons.

Forgetting the fact that don is really more of an Oxford word than a Cambridge one, all he had was an undergraduate degree. In other words, he was a student who completed his course.

But yes, great achievement to get promoted that year, no arguments from me there.
1994/95 on 19:23 - Nov 23 with 1352 viewsBluespeed225

1994/95 on 11:35 - Nov 23 by SmithersJones

Despite all of the Paul-induced pain of recent times, I've never started a season with lower expectations than 94/95. I think we'd got something like 3 points from the last 11 games the previous season, only stayed up as a result of Mark Stein scoring for Chelsea against Sheff Utd and hadn't really improved. It was just a case of playing the games and waiting for the inevitable.

Yup, should have gone down in 94'. I was in the Blackadder as we decided to drink our forthcoming relegation away during the afternoon. The telly in there showing 'Final Score' from BBC1 on Grandstand. We were done, then it filtered through! Think Sheff Utd went from 6th bottom and safe at 4.45, to being relegated at 4.50! Can't remember the other results that conspired against them?
1994/95 on 19:30 - Nov 23 with 1341 viewsgainsboroughblue

1994/95 on 19:23 - Nov 23 by Bluespeed225

Yup, should have gone down in 94'. I was in the Blackadder as we decided to drink our forthcoming relegation away during the afternoon. The telly in there showing 'Final Score' from BBC1 on Grandstand. We were done, then it filtered through! Think Sheff Utd went from 6th bottom and safe at 4.45, to being relegated at 4.50! Can't remember the other results that conspired against them?

Everton benefitting from Hans Segers was one of them. Southampton were down that end of the table as well but can't recall how under threat they were that afternoon.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

1994/95 on 19:32 - Nov 23 with 1328 viewsNthsuffolkblue

1994/95 on 10:30 - Nov 23 by WeWereZombies

Yes. Could have simplified it to ...

If we had signed Gabriel Batistuta instead of Adrian Paz!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

1994/95 on 19:44 - Nov 23 with 1286 viewsNthQldITFC

1994/95 on 10:30 - Nov 23 by WeWereZombies

Ifs and buts butter no parsnips.

(that's my favourite phrase in the King's English)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024