Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? 00:35 - Nov 12 with 5101 viewsGarv

No one after Hirst went off.

Don't want to be critical of players but that's two games in row Ladapo has looked like he can't be arsed. His running is so lethargic and lacking any kind of intensity. Hirst must be laughing his head off right now because he's so comfortably first choice it's actually a bit unhealthy.

Also, why did Scarlett look knackered 15 minutes after coming on? Part of the reason we let Swansea back into the game was down to the poor job those two did.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 05:15 - Nov 12 with 3574 viewsKropotkin123

Or maybe...

Wolfy at the back, racist tropes in attack, KM going to play lethargic unfit players cause that's the type of standards we set at the club?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 05:18 - Nov 12 with 3555 viewsfranz_tyson

Wolfy might not be at the back much longer if he let's players ease past him so easily like what happened for their second goal. I understand about the "not going to ground" aspect of defending .... but with 5 mins left to go, he should have taken Rowe out and picked up a yellow.
It was an incredibly nervy last few minutes that we brought on ourselves.
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 08:19 - Nov 12 with 3298 viewsJon_456

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 05:18 - Nov 12 by franz_tyson

Wolfy might not be at the back much longer if he let's players ease past him so easily like what happened for their second goal. I understand about the "not going to ground" aspect of defending .... but with 5 mins left to go, he should have taken Rowe out and picked up a yellow.

Whilst Woolf didn’t cover himself in glory, that goal came from the whole team being naive and not doing enough to keep the ball in their half of the pitch. It was a bit Charlton like with the way we thought the game had been won after they went down to 10.
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 08:29 - Nov 12 with 3243 viewsbraveblue

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 08:19 - Nov 12 by Jon_456

Whilst Woolf didn’t cover himself in glory, that goal came from the whole team being naive and not doing enough to keep the ball in their half of the pitch. It was a bit Charlton like with the way we thought the game had been won after they went down to 10.

Trouble is the subs come on when we are behind and make a big impact. We are going forward. But when we are trying to see the game out they don’t help as they lose possession far too much.
Really need to move Ladapo on and bring someone in during window.
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 08:29 - Nov 12 with 3242 viewsonceablue

I don’t think Ladapo is lethargic or lacks intensity it’s just his running style

I don’t think he is very quick which doesn’t help

I still think he has apart to play

It was his shot at Birmingham that was saved and harness scored
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 08:32 - Nov 12 with 3204 viewsonceablue

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 05:18 - Nov 12 by franz_tyson

He would have done well to tAke Rowe out he was playing at Cardiff😂
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 08:33 - Nov 12 with 3190 viewstextbackup

I’d rather see jackson coming on for Hirst. He’ll chase down anything and everything.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:02 - Nov 12 with 2961 viewsfranz_tyson

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 08:29 - Nov 12 by braveblue

Trouble is the subs come on when we are behind and make a big impact. We are going forward. But when we are trying to see the game out they don’t help as they lose possession far too much.
Really need to move Ladapo on and bring someone in during window.

Sorry... no downvote intended.

Yes, i do wonder if the subs are so keen to make an impact in a very short time that they're more interested in mak8ng a name for themselves than seeing the game out more professionally. Maybe slowing it down and keeping possession should be emphasised a bit more.
Login to get fewer ads

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:05 - Nov 12 with 2941 viewstractorboy1978

There's been several occasions this season where Hirst has been visibly absolutely knackered and stayed on 15-20 minutes longer than he really should. Couldn't believe it when he stayed on when Scarlett/Luongo came on after 75 minutes. It's quite clear now that:

a) McKenna sees Scarlett as a 10, not a 9.
b) A striker in a similar mould to Hirst is priority number 1 in January.

We need to be really careful we don't run Hirst into the ground and he ends up picking an injury up.
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:11 - Nov 12 with 2918 viewsNutkins_Return

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 05:15 - Nov 12 by Kropotkin123

Or maybe...

Wolfy at the back, racist tropes in attack, KM going to play lethargic unfit players cause that's the type of standards we set at the club?

That's poor to be honest. From what he has written that's uncalled for to accuse him of that if if you disagree with the opinion.
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:12 - Nov 12 with 2912 viewsWickets

Freddie came on in the 89th minute maybe a bit dissolutioned coming on so late ?
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:16 - Nov 12 with 2881 viewsLetchworth_Blue

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:11 - Nov 12 by Nutkins_Return

That's poor to be honest. From what he has written that's uncalled for to accuse him of that if if you disagree with the opinion.

Absolutely. A cheap shot, totally uncalled for.
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:19 - Nov 12 with 2865 views_clive_baker_

I think it's wholly unfair to claim he 'can't be arsed'. There's literally zero evidence to support that claim, he's always come across as professional and has kept himself in shape despite not playing as much as he would've liked. I don't think there's any doubt he has a ceiling in terms of his level, Hirst is clearly streets ahead, but you would expect that of a guy who spent his childhood scoring goals at all England levels, was so highly thought of, cost us £1.5m (likely a lot more if we go up) and probably earns close to £1m a year vs. a lad who was playing for Margate, Shrewsbury and Southend over that period, signed for us on a free and is probably paid 1/4 of that if he's lucky.

Freddie's done alright, he's scored some important goals for us and no doubt he'll score a few more. I don't see people calling Dom Ball lazy when he comes on and isn't Morsy.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 10:21]
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:25 - Nov 12 with 2825 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Or maybe...

For my own enlightenment, can you point out these 'racist tropes' in the OP, because, and I'll be honest, I like to think I'm pretty clued up on that kind of thing, but I'm completely missing them.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:28 - Nov 12 with 2804 viewscatch74

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 08:33 - Nov 12 by textbackup

I’d rather see jackson coming on for Hirst. He’ll chase down anything and everything.

Was thinking the same.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:32 - Nov 12 with 2783 viewsblueislander

Wow. How critical we are now. If we really want to go down that route; Davis should have stopped the cross coming in for their first goal. For the second where was Clarke?. Lowe was his man. Of course Woolfender’s challenge was poor , but no one was covering behind him. What about all the gilt edged chances we missed in the first half? You could nit pick all the negatives, but why not just bask in the wonderful entertainment the team is giving us?

By the way Lowe looked about the best player we have come across this season.
Echoing others here on 10:33 - Nov 12 with 2779 viewsDyland

Ridiculous to say Ladders looks like he "can't be arsed". He's not very quick, nor is he as technically good or narky as Hirst. It's not an unfair comparison though, tbf to ya, cos, well, Ladders is the like for like backup to Hirst innit.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:37 - Nov 12 with 2748 viewsfranz_tyson

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:32 - Nov 12 by blueislander

Wow. How critical we are now. If we really want to go down that route; Davis should have stopped the cross coming in for their first goal. For the second where was Clarke?. Lowe was his man. Of course Woolfender’s challenge was poor , but no one was covering behind him. What about all the gilt edged chances we missed in the first half? You could nit pick all the negatives, but why not just bask in the wonderful entertainment the team is giving us?

By the way Lowe looked about the best player we have come across this season.

Um.... you just went hard in there attacking ones who were critical.... and then you went critical on Clarke and Davis. Make up your mind.
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:37 - Nov 12 with 2748 viewsWeWereZombies

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:12 - Nov 12 by Wickets

Freddie came on in the 89th minute maybe a bit dissolutioned coming on so late ?

And he was running from Swansea player to Swansea player pretty vigorously soon after in an effort to win the ball and break up their efforts to get an attack going.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:46 - Nov 12 with 2707 viewsblueislander

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:37 - Nov 12 by franz_tyson

Um.... you just went hard in there attacking ones who were critical.... and then you went critical on Clarke and Davis. Make up your mind.

Read all the post. I was making the point that we could critise all the players for individual errors, but wouldn’t it be better to express positivity given the season we are having?
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:50 - Nov 12 with 2699 viewsSimonds92

Ladapo is useful for very specific games but the majority of the games that we're looking to see out, we need someone to continue to press in the way that Hirst does, and give us an outlet.
For me, in the current squad Jackson should be playing tha role but lets be honest if we lost Hirst for a period of time we'd be in trouble. Another player of similar style is crucial in January.
The fact Clarke went past 2 or 3 players and then had no options to pass to, nobody busting a gut to stretch the defence and either take a shot on goal or hold the ball in the corner was really poor. He's then completely out of position and we're exposed.
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:53 - Nov 12 with 2683 viewsLankHenners

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:25 - Nov 12 by Cheltenham_Blue

For my own enlightenment, can you point out these 'racist tropes' in the OP, because, and I'll be honest, I like to think I'm pretty clued up on that kind of thing, but I'm completely missing them.

Calling black athletes lazy is one of the oldest tropes in the book. Not that I believe the OP was deliberately using it that way, although even ignoring that it's a pretty daft thing to say.

As for the actual topic, think the problem was a little bit of everyone thinking the job was done once they went down to 10. Our intensity dropped and the crowd went subdued, almost waiting for the win to be confirmed or assuming we'd go on and score a few more. We know what Luongo offers but Taylor was doing such a super job of holding possession and keeping us ticking over that we lost a bit of control when he went off, and further to that Harness coming on affected us in that regard as well. Said before that I think him scoring a couple of goals has clouded people's judgment of his overall style. Compared to others in those attacking positions, he's so sloppy on the ball sometimes it's unreal. Ladapo is also just slower than Hirst so we naturally lose a bit of pace in the press.

Does seem to be a weird thing at the moment though where fans expect subs to come on and just start charging about like loons, and if they don't they get slagged off for it. Happened to Hutchinson at the start of the season when he was coming on in games where keeping shape and control was important, similarly it's happening to Ladapo and Scarlett as they've been coming on in the same circumstances.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:58 - Nov 12 with 2651 viewsSitfcB

Or maybe...

Not this shîte argument again

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 11:05 - Nov 12 with 2616 viewsfranz_tyson

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:46 - Nov 12 by blueislander

Read all the post. I was making the point that we could critise all the players for individual errors, but wouldn’t it be better to express positivity given the season we are having?

Fair enough, but surely there's room for all types of comments. Not just all fuzzy warm ones. Then it becomes a puff piece.
McKenna isn't just going to slap backs and offer compliments. He's also going to address some of our shortcomings. We should have won 5 or 6-1 with some great football.... but in the end we were holding on to a slender lead. I think that's worth talking about.
Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 11:07 - Nov 12 with 2608 views_clive_baker_

Wolfy at the back, who in attack? on 10:53 - Nov 12 by LankHenners

Calling black athletes lazy is one of the oldest tropes in the book. Not that I believe the OP was deliberately using it that way, although even ignoring that it's a pretty daft thing to say.

As for the actual topic, think the problem was a little bit of everyone thinking the job was done once they went down to 10. Our intensity dropped and the crowd went subdued, almost waiting for the win to be confirmed or assuming we'd go on and score a few more. We know what Luongo offers but Taylor was doing such a super job of holding possession and keeping us ticking over that we lost a bit of control when he went off, and further to that Harness coming on affected us in that regard as well. Said before that I think him scoring a couple of goals has clouded people's judgment of his overall style. Compared to others in those attacking positions, he's so sloppy on the ball sometimes it's unreal. Ladapo is also just slower than Hirst so we naturally lose a bit of pace in the press.

Does seem to be a weird thing at the moment though where fans expect subs to come on and just start charging about like loons, and if they don't they get slagged off for it. Happened to Hutchinson at the start of the season when he was coming on in games where keeping shape and control was important, similarly it's happening to Ladapo and Scarlett as they've been coming on in the same circumstances.

I agree about Harness. He's really dangerous when he's facing their goal, has a decent pass in him, can create and certainly finish. He's good on the half turn but the issue with him for me is when he's got his back to goal, he doesn't have the quality that Broadhead and Chaplin have in those tight areas to look after it or bounce balls off him, and that's a big part of the role for our 'number 10's'. I think his attributes would make him a good wide option, I think he's played there before at Pompey, but he's not getting in there ahead of Burns or Hutchinson any time soon. I think he's a decent sub option if we're chasing a goal and on the front foot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024