Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? 17:58 - Oct 20 with 7180 viewsSamWhiteUK

See a lot of people saying that it's poor from Rotherham etc, but was it their decision? They said that they are not doing a pitch inspection as they have no questions as to the playability of the surface. However, the game wasn't called off due to the pitch or the stadium, but rather the roads etc around it. Did they ever offer "confirmation" that it will "definitely" go ahead, as I keep seeing bandied about?

For the record, I'm thoroughly pissed off as this is what I've looked forward to all week, and I was only going to watch on Sky. Feel so sorry for those that have travelled.
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:01 - Oct 20 with 4372 viewsSwansea_Blue

I *think* the police/club/officials make a joint decision on these things. I could be wrong though.
Outside the ground stuff would probably be more in the police’s area I’d have thought.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 18:02]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:06 - Oct 20 with 4323 viewsOldFart71

Rotherham should have sought police advice. No good saying the pich is o.k. when you can't safely get to the ground. Very poor on their behalf.
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:08 - Oct 20 with 4278 viewsFrimleyBlue

Yes and no.

They themselves can't call a game off.

What I feel they should have done is just be honest in their earlier statement.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:10 - Oct 20 with 4264 viewsMK1

Yes.
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:14 - Oct 20 with 4185 viewsbournemouthblue

Their initial communications were poor, I don't think anyone can dispute that

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:16 - Oct 20 with 4169 viewsStevieH

The river burst it banks near the stadium late in the afternoon. Millions has been spent on flood defenses in that area so I guess they didn’t regard flooding as a threat.
https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2022/october/read--millers-delighted-to-have-p

However, this area is closely monitored so I’m sure that someone somewhere knew what levels the River would reach. There are also a lot of flood defenses at Meadowhall, upstream, which presumably just keeps the water moving along.

https://check-for-flooding.service.gov.uk/station/8175
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:17 - Oct 20 with 4145 viewsblueislander

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:10 - Oct 20 by MK1

Yes.

It seems the determining factor was the River Don bursting its banks and causing flooding adjacent to the ground. I doubt whether t,his could actually been foreseen.
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:20 - Oct 20 with 4113 viewsStevieH

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:17 - Oct 20 by blueislander

It seems the determining factor was the River Don bursting its banks and causing flooding adjacent to the ground. I doubt whether t,his could actually been foreseen.

I think it probably could have been. I don’t know if it’s the environment agency or NRA or whoever but this area near the stadium is closely monitored

A lack of communication maybe . If you click on the map link, you can see how close the monitoring station is to the stadium
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 18:23]
Login to get fewer ads

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:21 - Oct 20 with 4101 viewsMK1

I ain't no expert, but I think I am right in saying that when it rains, river levels go up. When it rains a lot, the rivers go up a lot. I think that's right.
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:21 - Oct 20 with 4085 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:16 - Oct 20 by StevieH

The river burst it banks near the stadium late in the afternoon. Millions has been spent on flood defenses in that area so I guess they didn’t regard flooding as a threat.
https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2022/october/read--millers-delighted-to-have-p

However, this area is closely monitored so I’m sure that someone somewhere knew what levels the River would reach. There are also a lot of flood defenses at Meadowhall, upstream, which presumably just keeps the water moving along.

I think I see the fatal flaw in pumping surface water into the river…

All the Rotherham fans seemed to be well aware of the likelihood of flooding and big problems if the river bursting its banks. I’d be very surprised if people at the club weren’t aware of it. It’s not easy to predict though without the benefit of hindsight though. I expect there was extra pressure against an early postponement with it being on Sky too.

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:22 - Oct 20 with 4078 viewsBasuco

Talking to Millers fans in the hotel and they said a road near the ground floods at the slightest bit of rain, they said it was obvious the match would not be on. They laughed and said that the weather robbed us of 3 points. Great guys.
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:22 - Oct 20 with 4075 viewsVegtablue

It may not be Sam but weather forecasting is very sophisticated these days. What's happened to the surrounding area was predicted with high confidence this time yesterday and became certain this morning. Honestly I cancelled plans last night so haven't been affected, but Rotherham's post was misleading at best even if the decision wasn't there's to make; it will have been the green light for many to travel.
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:29 - Oct 20 with 4010 viewsBloomBlue

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:21 - Oct 20 by MK1

I ain't no expert, but I think I am right in saying that when it rains, river levels go up. When it rains a lot, the rivers go up a lot. I think that's right.

To be fair many years ago I was in the North when a massive storm like today hit and the river levels changed within 20 mins.

I'm not joking we stayed in a hotel near the river at 3pm the river level was normal, 20 mins later the water was at the top, 10 mins later in was over the top on the bank and flooding the road. The level rose by over 5 feet in 20 mins.

Not saying the same happened today in Rotherham, but river levels/bursting banks can change in minutes
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:31 - Oct 20 with 3984 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Railway station which is a stone’s throw from the ground has been closed most of the day due to flooding.

It was entirely foreseeable - the game should have been called off at lunchtime

Poll: Our final position

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:37 - Oct 20 with 3908 viewsDeano69

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:31 - Oct 20 by southnorfolkblue

Railway station which is a stone’s throw from the ground has been closed most of the day due to flooding.

It was entirely foreseeable - the game should have been called off at lunchtime

Absolutely.

Instead they sent out the message that was saying they were so sure it would go ahead they were not even having a pitch inspection, meaning those waiting on any snippet of news to decide whether or not to head that way opted to go. Meaning a tricky 360 mile round trip

Safe travels to those that decided to go..

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:41 - Oct 20 with 3858 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Think it’s very easy to forget the level of pressure that Sky would have been putting Rotherham under to get this on. An organisation that has consistently shown that it doesn’t give the slightest fu^k about fans OR their safety.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:42 - Oct 20 with 3848 viewsPlums

Section 29.1 of the EFL Regulations:

It is not permissible for a club to make a decision to postpone a match and in the first instance Clubs should contact the Football Services Department for advice.

This is entirely on the EFL and Sky. The clubs' hands were tied.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:53 - Oct 20 with 3730 viewsCopfordBlue

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:06 - Oct 20 by OldFart71

Rotherham should have sought police advice. No good saying the pich is o.k. when you can't safely get to the ground. Very poor on their behalf.

Do you know that they didn’t consult with the emergency services?

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:57 - Oct 20 with 3676 viewsWickets

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:42 - Oct 20 by Plums

It is not permissible for a club to make a decision to postpone a match and in the first instance Clubs should contact the Football Services Department for advice.

Apart from the simple fact that the club put out a statement that I indicated that there was no problem!!
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 19:01 - Oct 20 with 3640 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:57 - Oct 20 by Wickets

Apart from the simple fact that the club put out a statement that I indicated that there was no problem!!

That communication is looking more ill-advised the more I read about how well known the flooding risk is there. It seemed ambitious at best when they released it, now it’s starting to look increasingly negligent.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 19:03]

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 19:02 - Oct 20 with 3634 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:42 - Oct 20 by Plums

I don't believe it would contravene any regulations to have issued a statement something like this:

"We have no concerns about the playing surface and, in that regard at least, are confident that the pitch will be playable.
However, the severe weather currently being experienced along with the current weather forecast, the extant weather warnings issued for the area by the Environment Agnecy and our experience of flooding in the area in previous years has caused us to seek advice from the Football Services Department for advice regarding a possible cancellation on safety grounds."

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

[Redacted] on 19:07 - Oct 20 with 3581 viewsvictorywilhappen

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 18:16 - Oct 20 by StevieH

[Redacted]
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 19:10 - Oct 20 with 3561 viewsClareBlue

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 19:02 - Oct 20 by You_Bloo_Right

I don't believe it would contravene any regulations to have issued a statement something like this:

"We have no concerns about the playing surface and, in that regard at least, are confident that the pitch will be playable.
However, the severe weather currently being experienced along with the current weather forecast, the extant weather warnings issued for the area by the Environment Agnecy and our experience of flooding in the area in previous years has caused us to seek advice from the Football Services Department for advice regarding a possible cancellation on safety grounds."

Spot on. And the way you drafted that you are either in communication or should be looking for opportunities in communications. This is exactly the statement they should have issued.
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 19:11 - Oct 20 with 3555 viewsBigCommon

I guess, whoever controls the weather is to blame....
This is sh1t for those that attempted to go there. As well as our squad being messed about and wasting a day that could have been put to good use...

But why are people always looking to blame "someone" these days? .... Sh1t happens.
Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 19:17 - Oct 20 with 3503 viewspeterleeblue

Is it Rotherham FC to blame? on 19:11 - Oct 20 by BigCommon

I guess, whoever controls the weather is to blame....
This is sh1t for those that attempted to go there. As well as our squad being messed about and wasting a day that could have been put to good use...

But why are people always looking to blame "someone" these days? .... Sh1t happens.

There is no one to blame if you call it off early enough.
Additionally risk can be mitigated by scheduling fixtures that actually make sense for away fans on a Friday night.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024