Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Undercover Supporters 14:40 - Sep 15 with 2198 viewsHanser

I left Suffolk 20 years ago and have only been able to travel back for a few matches. I've enjoyed plenty of away games as I've moved round England but without a season ticket, and being disorganised, I often end up sitting with the home fans. I try and sit close to the away end so I feel close and recognise a few faces sometimes.

I've found that I can still cheer if Ipswich have a shot saved (they think I'm cheering a save!) or when our opponents miss, I can shout, "Ooh so close!". I haven't found a way to celebrate when we score but just quietly watch the Ipswich supporters going wild.

Any other secret agents out there?
Undercover Supporters on 14:53 - Sep 15 with 2107 viewsElephantintheRoom

There is a certain pleasure to be had sitting (or standing) with the home fans. You hear the moans from a completely different perspective. It used to be really easy and relatively common in the good old days when a visit to a football ground didn’t have to be planned like a military operation. Now even a nearby pensioner might start shouting for the stewards if they suspect the enemy quietly minding their own business within.

Living and working in London for a couple of decades meant for plenty of away day opportunities- many of which were spent with friends/colleagues who supported the other side.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

[Redacted] on 15:30 - Sep 15 with 2021 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Undercover Supporters on 15:38 - Sep 15 with 1984 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

My old man (now nearly 80) still doesn't like that the supporters aren't mixed like they were when he was younger, he loved going to away games and mixing with the locals and said it was all friendly.

He forgets the 80's happened.
Undercover Supporters on 18:14 - Sep 15 with 1720 viewsyorkshireblue

Loads of times.

Not celebrating when the team score is easy… the real trick is to not stand out when we concede - everyone going nuts and you have your head in your hand. On the rare times I’ve been ever called out on it, I tend to just say I’m a neutral doing the 92.
Undercover Supporters on 18:26 - Sep 15 with 1698 viewsstrikalite

Undercover Supporters on 18:14 - Sep 15 by yorkshireblue

Loads of times.

Not celebrating when the team score is easy… the real trick is to not stand out when we concede - everyone going nuts and you have your head in your hand. On the rare times I’ve been ever called out on it, I tend to just say I’m a neutral doing the 92.

The real test is when they sing "stand up if you hate Ipswich"....

Thankfully it's never sung...
Undercover Supporters on 19:07 - Sep 15 with 1639 viewsScuzzer

Last season we went and sat in the home fans at Derby. Our friend moved there some years ago and is now a Derby season ticket holder and was able to get us a couple of tickets next to her. One of the hardest things to do...sat on my hands when we scored and whistled. Interesting to note that the home fans complain about the same things wherever they are.

Established 1968

Undercover Supporters on 19:54 - Sep 15 with 1575 viewsunstableblue

I hate it.

Done it too many times, and always regret it.

Wycombe was the last time and I vowed never to do it again

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Undercover Supporters on 20:45 - Sep 15 with 1500 viewsmonty_radio

Did it on my own at Millwall; still here!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Login to get fewer ads

Undercover Supporters on 21:46 - Sep 15 with 1442 viewslazyblue

[Redacted] on 15:30 - Sep 15 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Sod the bet! Would never ever go and watch scum unless I was watching us play them.
Undercover Supporters on 22:15 - Sep 15 with 1402 viewsVic

Undercover Supporters on 15:38 - Sep 15 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

My old man (now nearly 80) still doesn't like that the supporters aren't mixed like they were when he was younger, he loved going to away games and mixing with the locals and said it was all friendly.

Elephant is your old man?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Undercover Supporters on 22:42 - Sep 15 with 1374 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’m a regular undercover fan. The worst bit is all the junk mail you get from clubs you’ve had to sign up to in order to get tickets. No, I couldn’t care less that ‘free agent signings still on the cards’, thanks all the same West Brom.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Undercover Supporters on 10:04 - Sep 16 with 1205 viewsFrimleyBlue

Undercover Supporters on 18:14 - Sep 15 by yorkshireblue

Loads of times.

100%

I was doing so well when I went to the reading game.
But there was a chance we had to go 1-1 with the keeper but we passed it sideways instead and I threw my hand up.. remembered then cooly ran my fingers through my balding hair.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Undercover Supporters on 10:25 - Sep 16 with 1183 viewsMeadowlark

Undercover Supporters on 18:26 - Sep 15 by strikalite

The real test is when they sing "stand up if you hate Ipswich"....

Thankfully it's never sung...

I never stand up when Ipswich fans sing "Stand up, if you hate the scum"
I don't like it. Neanderthal.
Undercover Supporters on 10:41 - Sep 16 with 1168 viewsjacobnikons

Undercover Supporters on 15:38 - Sep 15 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

yet in rugby and cricket opposing fans drink and sit next to each other. Sad that football fans cant be trusted to do the same without beating the beejesus out of one another.
Undercover Supporters on 11:12 - Sep 16 with 1122 viewsgainsboroughblue

Undercover Supporters on 10:04 - Sep 16 by FrimleyBlue

100%

I was doing so well when I went to the reading game.
But there was a chance we had to go 1-1 with the keeper but we passed it sideways instead and I threw my hand up.. remembered then cooly ran my fingers through my balding hair.

Yep. I think I'd be more likely to blow my cover if we missed an absolute sitter or gave a gift of a goal away and blurted out 'Oh FFS'. or something.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 11:14]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Undercover Supporters on 14:03 - Sep 16 with 1030 viewsFBI

I went to the Exeter League Cup shambles a few years ago with complimentary tickets from the Ref, who was one of my wife's ex-students. Sat in the red side, within touching distance of the Town fans (yes, very funny, ha ha) but, to be fair, there wasn't much to restrain myself over.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 14:03]

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024