Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just watched the highlights 03:55 - Aug 27 with 5268 viewsIllinoisblue

Hard to know which of the 4 we conceded was the worst. The 1st probably as we had three chances to make a challenge but failed to do so. Hladky’s spill looks worse every time you see it.

On the bright side, carved Leeds open plenty of times and if our own penalty area wasn’t such a crime scene the result could have been very different.

Bounce back v Cardiff won’t be easy - not sure any championship game is ever easy - and hopefully add a couple new faces this week.

COYB

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Just watched the highlights on 04:27 - Aug 27 with 3940 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

It was a great shame that we fell apart like that having just taken the lead through a fortunate own goal. It was almost as if Leeds upped a gear to get back into the game and once they'd got those 3 goals it was very tough for us to get anything from the game.

Goal 4 for me was the worst. We were trying so hard to get a point then we concede a goal through terrible defending.

I'm pretty sure we will get a result against Cardiff, but like you've said could do with a couple new additions to the squad.
Just watched the highlights on 07:50 - Aug 27 with 3716 viewsPioneerBlue

In terms of game state goal 4 was awful in terms of timing and to be on the end of that goal. We went on to score another a 3:3 we draw the game. I’m disappointed to loose in this way but quite pleased with our ability to score goals against all comers and without our first line striker.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Just watched the highlights on 07:53 - Aug 27 with 3705 viewstextbackup

On the new faces subject, whilst KJ done really well at times, it’s clear we need a Hirst equivalent (ideally better) massive not having him in the team.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Just watched the highlights on 07:54 - Aug 27 with 3700 viewspointofblue

Difficult one. The first, the defenders were outdone by skill, the second seemed to be a piece of miscommunication at the back post, the third was a mistake from Hladky, the fourth we were caught on the counter and Williams was cold.

I guess the third was the worst as it was a simple error.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Just watched the highlights on 07:55 - Aug 27 with 3697 viewsSteve_M

Just watched the highlights on 04:27 - Aug 27 by BcarefulwhatUWish4

It was a great shame that we fell apart like that having just taken the lead through a fortunate own goal. It was almost as if Leeds upped a gear to get back into the game and once they'd got those 3 goals it was very tough for us to get anything from the game.

Goal 4 for me was the worst. We were trying so hard to get a point then we concede a goal through terrible defending.

I'm pretty sure we will get a result against Cardiff, but like you've said could do with a couple new additions to the squad.

I thought the challenge on Morsy was a borderline foul for that one, the Leeds player played him rather than the ball. Williams obviously made an awful error straight afterwards which was far more crucial. Leeds we’re looking dangerous on the break though and a goal was going to happen at one end sooner or later.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Just watched the highlights on 08:01 - Aug 27 with 3677 viewstextbackup

Just watched the highlights on 07:55 - Aug 27 by Steve_M

I thought the challenge on Morsy was a borderline foul for that one, the Leeds player played him rather than the ball. Williams obviously made an awful error straight afterwards which was far more crucial. Leeds we’re looking dangerous on the break though and a goal was going to happen at one end sooner or later.

I think (hope) that from yesterday multiple learnings are taken away.
The old quote of ‘you learn more from a defeat’

Really chuffed how we continued to play and create chances even though 3-1 4-2 down, seemed in control for large parts.

Leeds fans on Twitter seem really complimentary of us, one or two claiming we are better than the bottom 6 of last years prem teams.

We all knew we’d lose at some point, but the manner of the defeat (even tho the goals were soft) means we aren’t too down about it.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Just watched the highlights on 08:13 - Aug 27 with 3640 viewsunstableblue

Illy,

First off I really liked how McKenna was emphasising how hard Cardiff will be and how focussed we’ll have to be to get the win, in the post match. Crucial we bounce back, and will need a strong performance.

There two key Burns moments - one shown on highlights - where he hesitated to shoot, and was slide tackled as he pulled the trigger they were great chances. That their front line would have taken. But as you state the positives were that we kept creating real opportunities.

But to your main point all their goals were soft and we should have done better… albeit their first is a £36m player and individual brilliance. But there was a tackle to be made.

I still think if Hirst starts, and Chaplin/Broadhead turn up we at least draw that game.

We need a good quality striker, Ladapo looked really out of sorts when he came on.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Just watched the highlights on 08:24 - Aug 27 with 3581 viewsNthQldITFC

First: Lack of communication/solid handover between Woolfy and Morsy, but Woolfy should have stayed in charge and kept goalside of the striker. Burgess covering, but no fault for me.

Second: Burgess blocked the central striker well, but with the flight of the ball being very close to that central striker Hladky had to stay central. Davis wrongly assumed Hladky was going for the ball and switched off.

Third: Clarke outdone by great pace and being not fully fit perhaps, Woolfy dropped unnecessarily close to keeper ideally rather than covering that turn inside Clarke, but mainly good attacking play and poor handling by Hladky.

Fourth: Clear free kick on Morsy, but then Williams (rusty) indecisive positioning in/out and lost sight of scorer. Should have stayed out and tighter to scorer and more goalside and trusted Woolfy to cover the ball carrier.

I'd say the first as well, but not by much. Most of them were down to indecisiveness more than anything, and I'm sure they'll work on ironing that out this week.

Decent performance overall.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Just watched the highlights on 08:36 - Aug 27 with 3492 viewspointofblue

Just watched the highlights on 08:24 - Aug 27 by NthQldITFC

First: Lack of communication/solid handover between Woolfy and Morsy, but Woolfy should have stayed in charge and kept goalside of the striker. Burgess covering, but no fault for me.

Second: Burgess blocked the central striker well, but with the flight of the ball being very close to that central striker Hladky had to stay central. Davis wrongly assumed Hladky was going for the ball and switched off.

Third: Clarke outdone by great pace and being not fully fit perhaps, Woolfy dropped unnecessarily close to keeper ideally rather than covering that turn inside Clarke, but mainly good attacking play and poor handling by Hladky.

Fourth: Clear free kick on Morsy, but then Williams (rusty) indecisive positioning in/out and lost sight of scorer. Should have stayed out and tighter to scorer and more goalside and trusted Woolfy to cover the ball carrier.

I'd say the first as well, but not by much. Most of them were down to indecisiveness more than anything, and I'm sure they'll work on ironing that out this week.

Reading this back, how concerned should we be about Woolfenden? Added to this, he was pretty slow in ball distribution yesterday - albeit not the only one - too.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance rather than being the first to say he should be replaced. I suppose it didn't help him playing between two players who were not 100% fit.

Just watched the highlights on 08:43 - Aug 27 with 3460 viewsNthQldITFC

Just watched the highlights on 08:36 - Aug 27 by pointofblue

Reading this back, how concerned should we be about Woolfenden? Added to this, he was pretty slow in ball distribution yesterday - albeit not the only one - too.

Guess I'm looking for reassurance rather than being the first to say he should be replaced. I suppose it didn't help him playing between two players who were not 100% fit.

Not at all, in my opinion. Not one tiny little bit. He's been fantastic, in a quiet and efficient and confident way for well over a year now. He's one who can easily make the step up to top of the Championship level.

He is naturally laid back, which helps him on the ball, but which you might interpret as contributing to that first goal but I think he just anticipated his skipper putting in a big block tackle. A mistake, yes, a miscommunication between two senior players, but nothing more.

Just watched the highlights on 08:46 - Aug 27 with 3432 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 07:55 - Aug 27 by Steve_M

There was a foul on Woolf in the phase of play that led to their second as well. He jumped to head a long ball clear and got shoved in the back and went underneath the ball, giving them possession in our final third. Thought the ref was pretty crap to be honest, he wasn't applying the same standards to both teams imo.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Just watched the highlights on 08:51 - Aug 27 with 3414 viewsGlasgowBlue

As I said in another post, it’s concerning that a big centre forward had been able to walk through our defence unchallenged for two consecutive weeks.

We got away with it last week after Hladky pushed the ball on to the posts. Really need to improve this aspect. Saw it a few times last season.

That ten minute spell when Leeds were rampant was very reminiscent of Shef Wed at home last season. Thankfully Smith fluffed his lines for Wednesday. Leeds we’re far more clinical.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 11:08]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Just watched the highlights on 08:56 - Aug 27 with 3379 viewsBloomBlue

Although football isn't a one-way view I'm sure Leeds fans watched that and also thought "if our own penalty area wasn’t such a crime scene the result would have been much easier' I.e. terrible defending for the first 2 Town goals.

Every player will make a mistake you'll never buy a player who doesn't make a mistake, the difference with teams like Leeds who have prem quality strikers is they will punish every mistake.

Talking with Leeds fans after the match they made the point we're at the point they were at 5-6 years ago. Playing good football, caused them a lot of problems, but we have players who just need time to learn. Fans need to continue sticking with the team and let us all grow into a prem team.
Just watched the highlights on 09:15 - Aug 27 with 3311 viewsGuthrum

With the second Leeds goal, Davis was with Gnonto but pulls out as they entered the six yard box, presumably (from the body language) having had a call from Hladky. The latter then doesn't quite get there fast enough and Gnonto has a brief window in which to guide his shot beyond Hladky's reach. I'd ascribe that one to a communication breakdown, or perhaps over-optimism on the goalkeeper's part.

All of this is very fine margins, split second choices, but there is less leeway in the Champ than L1 and I'm sure is exactly the kind of stuff which will be worked on by McKenna and his coaches.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Just watched the highlights on 09:21 - Aug 27 with 3272 viewsWallingford_Boy

Back four were badly found out yesterday in our first real test.

Hladky made a huge error for the third, but solid other than that.

RIP Sir Bobby

[Redacted] on 09:28 - Aug 27 with 3223 viewsvictorywilhappen

Just watched the highlights on 08:24 - Aug 27 by NthQldITFC

[Redacted]
Just watched the highlights on 09:53 - Aug 27 with 3153 viewsChurchman

Just watched the highlights on 08:43 - Aug 27 by NthQldITFC

Not at all, in my opinion. Not one tiny little bit. He's been fantastic, in a quiet and efficient and confident way for well over a year now. He's one who can easily make the step up to top of the Championship level.

He is naturally laid back, which helps him on the ball, but which you might interpret as contributing to that first goal but I think he just anticipated his skipper putting in a big block tackle. A mistake, yes, a miscommunication between two senior players, but nothing more.

Woolfenden was fine. Thought Burgess was ok too. Remember they were playing against £70m worth of forwards. We are still adjusting to life in the Championship.

Of the goals, having watched the highlights back, the first was poor. The player walzed through three of ours at his leisure. Good skill on the attackers part, but it shouldn’t have been that easy. Lladky was at fault for two and three. Goal three is obvious. Goal two, he should have cleaned out Davis and the forward. It’s his six yard box to command - in my opinion. In fact that’s the problem I have with Lladky. I never feel he ‘commands’ his area. Maybe I’m being harsh.

Of the defenders Clarke had a poor day overall. He was caught out more than once and looked slow at times. Given his injury, he’s bound to be a bit behind the curve. He does lots of good things and has good size to him. He will be fine.

The fourth goal, oh dear. The mess of it was there for all to see.

Hutchinson: I know he’s settling in and needs time and coaching, but his body language and attitude bothers me. I love a bit of arrogance but there has to be delivery first. But as I say, he’s new here and it’s very early days and my perception might be completely wrong.
Just watched the highlights on 09:53 - Aug 27 with 3152 viewsLankHenners

Just watched the highlights on 08:51 - Aug 27 by GlasgowBlue

As I said in another post, it’s concerning that a big centre forward had been able to walk through our defence unchallenged for two consecutive weeks.

We got away with it last week after Hladky pushed the ball on to the posts. Really need to improve this aspect. Saw it a few times last season.

That ten minute spell when Leeds were rampant was very reminiscent of Shef Wed at home last season. Thankfully Smith fluffed his lines for Wednesday. Leeds we’re far more clinical.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2023 11:08]

Chaplin made the point on radio Suffolk afterwards that we’re not used to having players dribble through us so something that we need to learn how to deal with.

The third goal, Clarke gets stuck under the ball but in League One the winger can most likely then be guided into a non-threatening position but someone of Sinisterra’s quality has the ability to create something.

The first goal reminded be a bit of the goal we conceded away at Wycombe last season where Humphreys was too weak in the tackle then Burgess is too flat footed and Hanlan finds it easy to run at him then get the shot off which goes in. Yesterday it’s good strength initially from Rutter to hold off Woolfenden but then no-one makes a good enough challenge and Burgess is a spectator as the forward breaks past him.

Not every week we’re going to come up against a forward unit with as much quality as Leeds’ but as you say some early warning signs so far that we’re a bit vulnerable to strong runners with the ball. One for McKenna to work out how to deal with it.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Just watched the highlights on 09:58 - Aug 27 with 3105 viewspointofblue

Just watched the highlights on 09:53 - Aug 27 by Churchman

Woolfenden was fine. Thought Burgess was ok too. Remember they were playing against £70m worth of forwards. We are still adjusting to life in the Championship.

Of the goals, having watched the highlights back, the first was poor. The player walzed through three of ours at his leisure. Good skill on the attackers part, but it shouldn’t have been that easy. Lladky was at fault for two and three. Goal three is obvious. Goal two, he should have cleaned out Davis and the forward. It’s his six yard box to command - in my opinion. In fact that’s the problem I have with Lladky. I never feel he ‘commands’ his area. Maybe I’m being harsh.

Of the defenders Clarke had a poor day overall. He was caught out more than once and looked slow at times. Given his injury, he’s bound to be a bit behind the curve. He does lots of good things and has good size to him. He will be fine.

The fourth goal, oh dear. The mess of it was there for all to see.

Hutchinson: I know he’s settling in and needs time and coaching, but his body language and attitude bothers me. I love a bit of arrogance but there has to be delivery first. But as I say, he’s new here and it’s very early days and my perception might be completely wrong.

Hladky did clear out Donacien at Sunderland.

Just watched the highlights on 10:16 - Aug 27 with 3062 viewsSuperblue95

The second was the worst for me. I imagine Ipswich Wanderers would have been embarrassed to have conceded that one. Third was crap too.

The first was a really fantastic goal. Somebody probably should have gotten a tackle in but when you’ve got a premier league quality forward who can do that against a defence used to marshalling strikers with the touch of a trampoline then it’s hard to find much criticism.

Fourth was a sucker punch but a decent move by them.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Just watched the highlights on 10:58 - Aug 27 with 2966 viewslongtimefan

Just watched the highlights on 08:46 - Aug 27 by Herbivore

There was a foul on Woolf in the phase of play that led to their second as well. He jumped to head a long ball clear and got shoved in the back and went underneath the ball, giving them possession in our final third. Thought the ref was pretty crap to be honest, he wasn't applying the same standards to both teams imo.

Yep that push on Woolf was blatant and should have been easily seen by the ref and free kick given.
Just watched the highlights on 11:01 - Aug 27 with 2961 viewsNthQldITFC

Just watched the highlights on 09:15 - Aug 27 by Guthrum

With the second Leeds goal, Davis was with Gnonto but pulls out as they entered the six yard box, presumably (from the body language) having had a call from Hladky. The latter then doesn't quite get there fast enough and Gnonto has a brief window in which to guide his shot beyond Hladky's reach. I'd ascribe that one to a communication breakdown, or perhaps over-optimism on the goalkeeper's part.

All of this is very fine margins, split second choices, but there is less leeway in the Champ than L1 and I'm sure is exactly the kind of stuff which will be worked on by McKenna and his coaches.

Can't see whether Hladky gave him a call or not, but I'm pretty sure not because Hladky is covering the centre of the goal as the cross comes in. If you watch the highlights, the first view of the goal, as Hladky's feet come in to shot he's just scrambling to the middle of the goal, away from Davis/Gnonto. This is because he's seen the flight of the ball is ideal for Rutter to attack in the middle.

In fact, Burgess puts a great block on Rutter, but Hladky still had to cover that. Then he scrambles back out to the far post to try to cover Gnonto. Can't see what more Hladky could have done except maybe spread himself a bit better and gone more at Gnonto than across the goal. Davis should have knocked that behind.

Just watched the highlights on 11:05 - Aug 27 with 2935 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 10:58 - Aug 27 by longtimefan

Yep that push on Woolf was blatant and should have been easily seen by the ref and free kick given.

Only just realised the ref was Bobby Madley, which explains a lot.

Just watched the highlights on 11:06 - Aug 27 with 2926 viewsHerbivore

Just watched the highlights on 11:01 - Aug 27 by NthQldITFC

Can't see whether Hladky gave him a call or not, but I'm pretty sure not because Hladky is covering the centre of the goal as the cross comes in. If you watch the highlights, the first view of the goal, as Hladky's feet come in to shot he's just scrambling to the middle of the goal, away from Davis/Gnonto. This is because he's seen the flight of the ball is ideal for Rutter to attack in the middle.

In fact, Burgess puts a great block on Rutter, but Hladky still had to cover that. Then he scrambles back out to the far post to try to cover Gnonto. Can't see what more Hladky could have done except maybe spread himself a bit better and gone more at Gnonto than across the goal. Davis should have knocked that behind.

Not sure, having seen the second goal back a few times I question Hladky's positioning. Feels like one he ought to have been able to cut out or smother. Davis should react better too but it wasn't good keeping.

[Redacted] on 11:25 - Aug 27 with 2876 viewsvictorywilhappen

Just watched the highlights on 10:16 - Aug 27 by Superblue95

The second was the worst for me. I imagine Ipswich Wanderers would have been embarrassed to have conceded that one. Third was crap too.

The first was a really fantastic goal. Somebody probably should have gotten a tackle in but when you’ve got a premier league quality forward who can do that against a defence used to marshalling strikers with the touch of a trampoline then it’s hard to find much criticism.

Fourth was a sucker punch but a decent move by them.

[Redacted]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024