Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Disappointing PL season 18:36 - May 28 with 2500 viewsIllinoisblue

Arsenal flirting for so long but then letting the financial cheats in to win it again. Yawn. Everton surviving again. Yawn. Leeds fans not even rioting. Yawn.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Disappointing PL season on 18:38 - May 28 with 2472 viewsgainsboroughblue

Yeah. Really quite underwhelming.

I can see Wolves really struggling next year looking ahead. At least one promoted team will go too. Forest or Bournemouth may have the 'difficult second season'. Everton will finish 17th surviving on the final day. And Man C will sew the title up before Easter.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Disappointing PL season on 18:42 - May 28 with 2446 viewsLankHenners

Have to look at Brighton for the excitement and then just laugh at Chelsea, Spurs failing to qualify for any European competition (which I actually think might benefit them next season) and Lampard being totally useless.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Disappointing PL season on 18:46 - May 28 with 2408 viewsbelgablue

Very underwhelming in the end. Everton have to go down as the most pointless football club in the whole league over the last 30 years.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Disappointing PL season on 05:19 - May 29 with 2244 viewsreadtheleaguetable

Disappointing PL season on 18:46 - May 28 by belgablue

Very underwhelming in the end. Everton have to go down as the most pointless football club in the whole league over the last 30 years.

Actually Everton didn’t “go down” as anything. They stayed up.😇

Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons "Les Bleus, allez!"

Disappointing PL season on 05:30 - May 29 with 2234 viewsPerublue

That title used to be held by Coventry City until they finally got relegated from the top tier.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Disappointing PL season on 07:16 - May 29 with 2159 viewsElephantintheRoom

Oh I don’t know - Chelsea and Liverpool expensively seeing their halos slip was mildly interesting - as was Saudi Arabia on Tyne doing well despite suffering the iniquities of fair play, apparently.

Next season looks a bit boring though. Oil State FC winning the league, Luton and Sheff U relegated. Not much left to play for.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Disappointing PL season on 10:19 - May 29 with 2104 viewsNaylorsrightboot

Can't stand Arsenal.
Disappointing PL season on 10:23 - May 29 with 2094 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Disappointing PL season on 07:16 - May 29 by ElephantintheRoom

Oh I don’t know - Chelsea and Liverpool expensively seeing their halos slip was mildly interesting - as was Saudi Arabia on Tyne doing well despite suffering the iniquities of fair play, apparently.

Next season looks a bit boring though. Oil State FC winning the league, Luton and Sheff U relegated. Not much left to play for.

I'll be interested to see if Newcastle, Brighton, Villa and Brentford can kick on, or if they will be swallowed up by the big three that underperformed this season. Will be interesting to see how Kompany gets on with Burnley too. That's about it though.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Login to get fewer ads

Disappointing PL season on 10:30 - May 29 with 2070 viewsFrimleyBlue

question about Everton

on MOTD they said how Everton were regular title contenders... When was this?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Disappointing PL season on 10:32 - May 29 with 2064 viewsJ2BLUE

City are ridiculously good but they should be with that squad. They have basically becomes the PSG of the Prem now.

One redeeming feature of the season would be Inter beating City and costing them the quadruple.
[Post edited 29 May 2023 10:33]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Disappointing PL season on 10:34 - May 29 with 2024 viewsJ2BLUE

Disappointing PL season on 18:42 - May 28 by LankHenners

Have to look at Brighton for the excitement and then just laugh at Chelsea, Spurs failing to qualify for any European competition (which I actually think might benefit them next season) and Lampard being totally useless.

Spurs probably see the conference league like we saw the pizza cup.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Disappointing PL season on 10:48 - May 29 with 1978 viewsElephantintheRoom

Disappointing PL season on 10:23 - May 29 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I'll be interested to see if Newcastle, Brighton, Villa and Brentford can kick on, or if they will be swallowed up by the big three that underperformed this season. Will be interesting to see how Kompany gets on with Burnley too. That's about it though.

Brighton can’t kick on - they’ll have their best players stolen - and their manager too. Again. West Ham maybe - IF they win that euro trophy and don’t make too many daft signings. They are perhaps a club historically on a par with Town who seem secure in the Prem - and they don’t sack the manager on a whim.

Newcastle is vaguely interesting in that they are skewered by UEFA fair play rules that think being good 10 years ago is important and Howe is a genuinely good coach.

The five subs rule had killed what little competitive football is left in the Prem.

Disappointing PL season on 10:56 - May 29 with 1967 viewsgainsboroughblue

Disappointing PL season on 10:30 - May 29 by FrimleyBlue

question about Everton

Mid 80's. They were one of the best teams in Europe between 84-87. Still always seemed to be second best in Mersey battles though. Heysel prevented them from having a crack at the European Cup.

Disappointing PL season on 11:22 - May 29 with 1911 viewsSE1blue

Disappointing PL season on 05:30 - May 29 by Perublue

That title used to be held by Coventry City until they finally got relegated from the top tier.

I feel like Southampton deserve some claim to that title in between Coventry and Everton. In the top tier for nearly 30 years, relegated, then came back for another 10 and did absolutely nothing and were finally relegated again this season.

They’ve not won anything significant or even a league title since forever.

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Disappointing PL season on 11:23 - May 29 with 1906 viewsLeaky

Disappointing PL season on 10:56 - May 29 by gainsboroughblue

Mid 80's. They were one of the best teams in Europe between 84-87. Still always seemed to be second best in Mersey battles though. Heysel prevented them from having a crack at the European Cup.

Unfortunately what happened in the 80's doesn't count, as football only started in 92 or so most pundits would have us believe.
Disappointing PL season on 11:44 - May 29 with 1862 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Disappointing PL season on 10:30 - May 29 by FrimleyBlue

question about Everton

Everton were considered one of the big 6 until i'd say about the early 90's

9 times Champions and 7 times FA cup winners. Their fall from grace into a side just existing in that league for 30 years must feel bad, kinda like our latter Marcus Evans years.
Disappointing PL season on 11:47 - May 29 with 1857 viewsgainsboroughblue

Disappointing PL season on 11:44 - May 29 by burnbudgiesburn

Everton were considered one of the big 6 until i'd say about the early 90's

9 times Champions and 7 times FA cup winners. Their fall from grace into a side just existing in that league for 30 years must feel bad, kinda like our latter Marcus Evans years.

It was the big 5 really. Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd. When there was a live match once a week on a Sunday, there would be at least one of those teams shown.

Everton took on our mantel as the leading team in blue in the country. We peaked before TV money was a thing in the game.

Disappointing PL season on 12:08 - May 29 with 1820 viewsRyorry

Oh I dunno, am finding it a hilarious delight that Chelsea finished only in 12th place, on an astonishing 44 pts - less than half that of the BlueMancs 😂

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Disappointing PL season on 12:22 - May 29 with 1789 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Disappointing PL season on 10:48 - May 29 by ElephantintheRoom

Brighton can’t kick on - they’ll have their best players stolen - and their manager too. Again. West Ham maybe - IF they win that euro trophy and don’t make too many daft signings. They are perhaps a club historically on a par with Town who seem secure in the Prem - and they don’t sack the manager on a whim.

Newcastle is vaguely interesting in that they are skewered by UEFA fair play rules that think being good 10 years ago is important and Howe is a genuinely good coach.

The five subs rule had killed what little competitive football is left in the Prem.

In the fullness of time you may be proven right about Brighton as it is the norm, although they seem more prepared for this inevitability than most. It will be interesting to see if their data-driven approach can keep yielding results by unearthing hidden gems that others overlook. The likes of United and Chelsea can spend big money on players, but they don't spend it wisely. I would love to see their strategy triumph over that big spending approach, but there is a large degree of wishful thinking on my part.

I always disliked West Ham as a child, but I would love to see them win against Fiorentina. I have a lot of time for David Moyes and the loyalty of their fans, even if I don't like much else about them.

The Newcastle saga is one that I find hard to take a stance on. I always liked the club, but as fun as it is right now and how impressive their progress has been this season, surely we are just accelerating towards the point of them being another Man City. Factor in the regime that's behind them and it feels like it won't be long before I can't stand the sight of them.

Disappointing PL season on 12:55 - May 29 with 1734 viewsElephantintheRoom

Disappointing PL season on 12:22 - May 29 by SlippinJimmyJuan

In the fullness of time you may be proven right about Brighton as it is the norm, although they seem more prepared for this inevitability than most. It will be interesting to see if their data-driven approach can keep yielding results by unearthing hidden gems that others overlook. The likes of United and Chelsea can spend big money on players, but they don't spend it wisely. I would love to see their strategy triumph over that big spending approach, but there is a large degree of wishful thinking on my part.

I always disliked West Ham as a child, but I would love to see them win against Fiorentina. I have a lot of time for David Moyes and the loyalty of their fans, even if I don't like much else about them.

The Newcastle saga is one that I find hard to take a stance on. I always liked the club, but as fun as it is right now and how impressive their progress has been this season, surely we are just accelerating towards the point of them being another Man City. Factor in the regime that's behind them and it feels like it won't be long before I can't stand the sight of them.

For Brighton read Leicester and Southampton. Both those clubs had excellent recruitment - and developed their own players. Both managed to survive the first round of asset stripping - but couldnt keep it going, especially when the ´makeweights’ are on ´Prem wages’ - and the recruiters get recruited. Financial ‘fair play’ means the sums will never add up

I suspect the moneyball concept is rather flawed - all the rage when Barnsley got in the play offs. Not mentioned quite so much a year later when they got relegated. AND it got them Norwood.

Disappointing PL season on 13:01 - May 29 with 1728 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Disappointing PL season on 12:22 - May 29 by SlippinJimmyJuan

“I always disliked West Ham as a child, but I would love to see them win against Fiorentina. I have a lot of time for David Moyes and the loyalty of their fans, even if I don't like much else about them. ”

Wut?

Their fans are as fickle as they come, most of them wanted Moyes out before the January window. Now they’ve made the Europa Vauxhall Conference final he’s the best thing since sliced bread…
Disappointing PL season on 13:12 - May 29 with 1701 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Disappointing PL season on 12:55 - May 29 by ElephantintheRoom

For Brighton read Leicester and Southampton. Both those clubs had excellent recruitment - and developed their own players. Both managed to survive the first round of asset stripping - but couldnt keep it going, especially when the ´makeweights’ are on ´Prem wages’ - and the recruiters get recruited. Financial ‘fair play’ means the sums will never add up

I suspect the moneyball concept is rather flawed - all the rage when Barnsley got in the play offs. Not mentioned quite so much a year later when they got relegated. AND it got them Norwood.

I don't know how comparable the model is, although I agree the intention is the same. I think Brighton and Brentford are lightyears ahead of the recruitment models that worked for a short time for the club's you mentioned. That doesn't mean it will hold up and they may well go the same way, but I think they are on much steadier footing than either of those clubs. It does help of course that Bloom and Benham are more intimately aware of the model they want to use and refine.

Disappointing PL season on 13:14 - May 29 with 1697 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Disappointing PL season on 13:01 - May 29 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“I always disliked West Ham as a child, but I would love to see them win against Fiorentina. I have a lot of time for David Moyes and the loyalty of their fans, even if I don't like much else about them. ”

Wut?

Their fans are as fickle as they come, most of them wanted Moyes out before the January window. Now they’ve made the Europa Vauxhall Conference final he’s the best thing since sliced bread…

They moan a lot but their attendances are very steady with very vocal support for the players. Owners and managers are who they turn their ire too. Calling them fickle when compared to most of the PL fanbases is disingenuous to my mind. You want fickle, head up to the Emirates.

Disappointing PL season on 22:42 - Jun 8 with 1103 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Disappointing PL season on 13:14 - May 29 by SlippinJimmyJuan

They moan a lot but their attendances are very steady with very vocal support for the players. Owners and managers are who they turn their ire too. Calling them fickle when compared to most of the PL fanbases is disingenuous to my mind. You want fickle, head up to the Emirates.

Fickle? Just overheard a bunch of them that STILL want Moyes sacked after a (sort of) European Cup win so that someone else can give them ‘s3xy football’. Delusional.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024