Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits 23:16 - Jun 5 with 3018 viewsTedbrown

There was a big launch (in those days) of the new kit for the 1977/78 season, for both home and away kits. The Away kit being white shirt, black shirt, white socks (and the end to the Yellow and blue away kit).

The orange kit made its surprised debut in the 1977/78 FA Cup at Bristol Rovers as the 2nd away kit, because of the colour clash. No marketing ploy back then. Since winning the FA Cup, there has been many seasons when orange has been the away kit or 2nd away kit.

The earlier testimonial game in the 1977/78 season at Bristol Rovers, we played in white shirts.
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 06:32 - Jun 6 with 2837 viewsFtnfwest

Remember that kit. I always wondered why before the seats at FPR went blue, the end block seats of cobbold were orange and wondered if there was an original reason for that
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 06:38 - Jun 6 with 2824 viewsITFC_Forever

I think I’m right in saying the next orange away kit was released for the 1989-90 season…

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 07:01 - Jun 6 with 2793 viewsChurchman

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 06:32 - Jun 6 by Ftnfwest

Remember that kit. I always wondered why before the seats at FPR went blue, the end block seats of cobbold were orange and wondered if there was an original reason for that

The end blocks with the orange seats were added 1974/75 and first used during the latter part of the season. The original stand was build about 1971. I am guessing the orange seats were that colour due to cost/availability.. it was the 1970s after all and there wasn’t much by way of patterns and names by seat colours. In fact, most of PR and all football grounds was standing.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 7:30]
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 07:20 - Jun 6 with 2753 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Third shirt this year is orange I think!
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 07:28 - Jun 6 with 2741 viewsWickets

Your've been fooking Tangoooooed !
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 09:49 - Jun 6 with 2556 viewsMeadowlark

In other news, pink used to be yellow.
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 09:50 - Jun 6 with 2554 viewsSharkey

Not really connected, but watching this I was surprised at the beginning when the commentator says 'Paul Cooper, who let in three goals yesterday at West Ham' . I hadn't realised that games on consecutive days was still happening in the second half of the 70s.

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 10:08 - Jun 6 with 2516 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 06:38 - Jun 6 by ITFC_Forever

I think I’m right in saying the next orange away kit was released for the 1989-90 season…

Wasn't there an Evening Star headline for this?

"It's Tangerine!" I seem to recall.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Login to get fewer ads

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 10:20 - Jun 6 with 2497 viewsTrumptonBlue

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 09:50 - Jun 6 by Sharkey

Not really connected, but watching this I was surprised at the beginning when the commentator says 'Paul Cooper, who let in three goals yesterday at West Ham' . I hadn't realised that games on consecutive days was still happening in the second half of the 70s.

Later than that, too. I remember we played Millwall away and Palace at home on consecutive days just after Christmas 1986.
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 10:28 - Jun 6 with 2484 viewsbournemouthblue

Is the new away kit, likely to be orange?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 10:37 - Jun 6 with 2465 viewsChurchman

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 09:50 - Jun 6 by Sharkey

We played Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, Monday. I went to the West Ham game and we got thumped. We did QPR on Easter Saturday. It was a little better and we then hammered Norwich on the Monday. Always a good thing!

We had a very unsettled side that season thanks to injuries to key players. Safety was confirmed late in the season at home to Bristol City. It was a dreadful game, but they were more dreadful than us. By then we’d made the Cup Final and all focus was on that.
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 11:19 - Jun 6 with 2406 viewsSharkey

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 10:37 - Jun 6 by Churchman

We played Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, Monday. I went to the West Ham game and we got thumped. We did QPR on Easter Saturday. It was a little better and we then hammered Norwich on the Monday. Always a good thing!

We had a very unsettled side that season thanks to injuries to key players. Safety was confirmed late in the season at home to Bristol City. It was a dreadful game, but they were more dreadful than us. By then we’d made the Cup Final and all focus was on that.

I'm also taken by the fact that the shirt has no club badge on it, whereas the previous yellow ones had.

(For the Cup Final, I wonder if there was an actual toss of a coin to see who would wear their home kit, or if in those days of black and white tv's there was no real option of Arsenal wearing red.)
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 11:24 - Jun 6 with 2385 viewsChurchman

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 11:19 - Jun 6 by Sharkey

I'm also taken by the fact that the shirt has no club badge on it, whereas the previous yellow ones had.

(For the Cup Final, I wonder if there was an actual toss of a coin to see who would wear their home kit, or if in those days of black and white tv's there was no real option of Arsenal wearing red.)

If memory serves me right, Arsenal were happy to play in Yellow. It’d been lucky for them previously. They’d played the 72 final and lost wearing their first choice kit having beaten Liverpool the previous season wearing yellow.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 11:30]
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 11:26 - Jun 6 with 2381 viewsitfcjoe

Wonder which orange it'll be this season?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 17:10 - Jun 6 with 2153 viewssoupytwist

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 11:19 - Jun 6 by Sharkey

The shirts had no badge but neither did the QPR shirts so maybe Adidas were trying to save themselves a few bob.

The orange shirts presumably weren't meant to be worn with the black shorts which had white Adidas stripes on them while the shirt had black.
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 18:05 - Jun 6 with 2099 viewsSharkey

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 17:10 - Jun 6 by soupytwist

The shirts had no badge but neither did the QPR shirts so maybe Adidas were trying to save themselves a few bob.

The orange shirts presumably weren't meant to be worn with the black shorts which had white Adidas stripes on them while the shirt had black.

All three of the QPR shirts in the picture at the beginning of the video are great, but especially the badgeless one John Hollins is wearing.
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 18:55 - Jun 6 with 2046 viewsMeadowlark

I watched the '68 Cup Final on a colour TV. By 1978 everybody had one and VCRs were just taking off.
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 20:23 - Jun 6 with 1951 viewsSharkey

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 18:55 - Jun 6 by Meadowlark

I watched the '68 Cup Final on a colour TV. By 1978 everybody had one and VCRs were just taking off.

But 'unnecessary' change kits seemed to be used in the Cup Final even after 1978. (Maybe teams were superstitious, like Arsenal in 78, as suggested in this thread) . In the '82 final Spurs (yellow) and QPR (red) both changed. I think 1988 (Wimbledon in blue v Liverpool in red) might be the first one that that assumed nbody was watching in black and white any more, even if as you say in the UK at least almost everybody was watching in colour long before then.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2023 9:40]
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 21:28 - Jun 6 with 1902 viewssoupytwist

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 18:05 - Jun 6 by Sharkey

All three of the QPR shirts in the picture at the beginning of the video are great, but especially the badgeless one John Hollins is wearing.

Gerry Francis on the left of that picture, an abiding memory of one of my earliest home games was against QPR when I think that they were wearing black and white halfed shirts. Can't remember which stand I was in but it was down the front and I can remember being struck by how hairy his legs were.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 21:32]
The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 22:14 - Jun 6 with 1864 viewsitfcjoe

The origins of the colour Orange in the past away Kits on 20:23 - Jun 6 by Sharkey

But 'unnecessary' change kits seemed to be used in the Cup Final even after 1978. (Maybe teams were superstitious, like Arsenal in 78, as suggested in this thread) . In the '82 final Spurs (yellow) and QPR (red) both changed. I think 1988 (Wimbledon in blue v Liverpool in red) might be the first one that that assumed nbody was watching in black and white any more, even if as you say in the UK at least almost everybody was watching in colour long before then.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2023 9:40]

Even for World Cups now they try and do one dark and one light kit

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024