Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not a classic last night.... 10:23 - Nov 23 with 2844 viewsitfcjoe

....felt a bit like a reserve game where we just did what we wanted to do and the scoreline was just irrelevant to the game.

Give Jackson 90 minutes through the middle even though he can only really be seen as a wideman in this system

Give Camara minutes even though he's still looking a long way off

Bring on Siziba for Harness rather than Burns as don't want to put oo many minutes in his legs

Play Woolfie at RB and KVY as shirt of attacking numbers.

Was a frustrating watch at times at Pompey did a job on us; I think the 2 CMs, Greg Leigh and Zanda Siziba no one did themselves any favours in that game to put pressure on selection for the next game - Edmundson and Keogh really struggled against the press and passing was poor, GE especially. Keogh just looks too sluggish for the higher line we play.

Will see how we line up on Sunday but does feel a bit bare bones - but missing Edwards and Ahadme last night made a big difference as not many attacking options with TJJ and SA out.

Lets hope Harness knock isn't too bad and he can be fit for Friday week

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Not a classic last night.... on 10:28 - Nov 23 with 2783 viewsportmanking

Harness one looked like he'll be out much longer than Friday week. I reckon that one will be months rather than weeks.

All for a pointless competition, essentially a roadblock/distraction from our only goal of promotion.
Not a classic last night.... on 10:32 - Nov 23 with 2773 viewsITFC_Forever

Not a classic last night.... on 10:28 - Nov 23 by portmanking

Harness one looked like he'll be out much longer than Friday week. I reckon that one will be months rather than weeks.

All for a pointless competition, essentially a roadblock/distraction from our only goal of promotion.

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Harness until the last few weeks of the season, or maybe not at all until 2023-24.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Not a classic last night.... on 10:38 - Nov 23 with 2753 viewsN2_Blue

Harness i think is a bad one.

Even thought he was able to hobble off it can still be something as serious as an ACL. Hernandez for France hobbled off last night and his is an ACL.

Whatever it is, based on how his knee collapsed and how he was moving no chance of being fit Friday week Joe, we'll be lucky if we see him again this season. Even McKenna has said it looks a bad one, so i think deep down he already knows.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Not a classic last night.... on 10:46 - Nov 23 with 2688 viewsclive_baker

Think it was more than a knock for poor Harness, I suspect he'll be out some time.

I couldn't care less about the result last night tbh, it's good to get minutes into Camara and get some of the younger lads more exposure to the senior side.

We really need Aluko, Evans and John-Jules back to just give us more options. Jackson isn't up to it, he's fine as a squad player but if we're at the stage where he's starting games we're in a bit of bother, hopefully that won't be the case.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Not a classic last night.... on 11:00 - Nov 23 with 2624 viewsitfcjoe

Not a classic last night.... on 10:46 - Nov 23 by clive_baker

Think it was more than a knock for poor Harness, I suspect he'll be out some time.

I couldn't care less about the result last night tbh, it's good to get minutes into Camara and get some of the younger lads more exposure to the senior side.

We really need Aluko, Evans and John-Jules back to just give us more options. Jackson isn't up to it, he's fine as a squad player but if we're at the stage where he's starting games we're in a bit of bother, hopefully that won't be the case.

Jackson is fine to start games, but he's now a wide player/chess piece to exploit a weakness - he simply isn't a number 9 in this system and never will be

Not a classic last night.... on 11:05 - Nov 23 with 2567 viewsurbanblue

Not a classic last night.... on 11:00 - Nov 23 by itfcjoe

Jackson is fine to start games, but he's now a wide player/chess piece to exploit a weakness - he simply isn't a number 9 in this system and never will be

I'm hoping Ahadme gets the start against Buxton with Jackson wide. Give Ladapo time to get over his injury properly and hopefully a goal or two to give Gus a confident full debut.
Not a classic last night.... on 11:08 - Nov 23 with 2557 viewsclive_baker

Not a classic last night.... on 11:00 - Nov 23 by itfcjoe

I don't think he's particularly effective as a wide player. It's so rare that he gets in behind a full back, he seems to play so much of the game with his back to goal. Compared to say Burns who fronts his full back at every opportunity. On the occasions KJ does get in behind his use of the ball is often frustrating. I don't think he's got enough about him to warrant a starting birth.

We're really reliant on Ladapo #9 and a combination of Chaplin, Harness, Aluko, John-Jules, Edwards, Burns as a 3 in behind, assuming we revert to more of a 4-2-3-1. It's the injury situation among that list that concerns me the most.

Last night we were terrible defensively, looked so poor on the ball right from Hladky through the back 4. Woolfenden didn't look at it at, and Edmundson was really sloppy in possession. Keogh too.

Not a classic last night.... on 11:15 - Nov 23 with 2525 viewsRegencyBlue

Thought we played quite well until Harness went off after which it became very poor.

Not overly fussed at going out but what could be a long term injury for Harness is a high price to pay for an ultimately meaningless game.
Login to get fewer ads

Not a classic last night.... on 11:46 - Nov 23 with 2442 viewsHighgateBlue

Not a classic last night.... on 10:38 - Nov 23 by N2_Blue

Harness i think is a bad one.

Even thought he was able to hobble off it can still be something as serious as an ACL. Hernandez for France hobbled off last night and his is an ACL.

Whatever it is, based on how his knee collapsed and how he was moving no chance of being fit Friday week Joe, we'll be lucky if we see him again this season. Even McKenna has said it looks a bad one, so i think deep down he already knows.

I just don't understand why the true first eleven players were risked. McKenna's comment that if we went through it would be a game we could do without indicates that he wasn't at all interested in the competition. That's fine by me, but if that's the case, why not leave out all league first eleven players...?

I guess he knows best, and I guess we have the transfer window coming, but it's a real shame if he's out for more than a couple of weeks.
Not a classic last night.... on 11:52 - Nov 23 with 2405 viewspeterleeblue

Not a classic last night.... on 10:32 - Nov 23 by ITFC_Forever

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Harness until the last few weeks of the season, or maybe not at all until 2023-24.

It does seem sometimes that this club carries no luck whatsoever.
Even when we get it right off the pitch and manage to build a solid squad we get depleted by injuries. Lets hope the USA pension fund can find some more spare change down the back of the couch!
Not a classic last night.... on 12:04 - Nov 23 with 2336 viewsurbanblue

Not a classic last night.... on 11:46 - Nov 23 by HighgateBlue

I just don't understand why the true first eleven players were risked. McKenna's comment that if we went through it would be a game we could do without indicates that he wasn't at all interested in the competition. That's fine by me, but if that's the case, why not leave out all league first eleven players...?

I guess he knows best, and I guess we have the transfer window coming, but it's a real shame if he's out for more than a couple of weeks.

In previous times with Lambert and Cook we put out complete second elevens who failed abysmally and we learnt nothing. At the time I and others, said that some of these fringe players hadn't been given the opportunity to play with first teamers to really see what they could do in a reasonable team.

I would imagine KMc learnt a lot yesterday seeing how some if the fringe players would do if given the chance in the first team, so to speak.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2022 12:13]
Not a classic last night.... on 12:06 - Nov 23 with 2307 viewsdavblue

Not a classic last night.... on 11:52 - Nov 23 by peterleeblue

It does seem sometimes that this club carries no luck whatsoever.
Even when we get it right off the pitch and manage to build a solid squad we get depleted by injuries. Lets hope the USA pension fund can find some more spare change down the back of the couch!

i think if we have 3 or 4 long term injuries they will act, the potential cost to them would be more to stay down than going up i suspect as selling players in the championship has a higher premium than league 1 players for a start.

If we don't go up we will lose 3 or 4 players i would have thought, Walton, Edmundson, Chaplin maybe Morsy, Davis then you are starting again.
Not a classic last night.... on 12:08 - Nov 23 with 2261 viewsdavblue

Not a classic last night.... on 11:46 - Nov 23 by HighgateBlue

Morsy, Harness shouldn't have started last night given McKenna's comments if they are true.

Morsy should be wrapped up in cotton wool until more of the senior bods are back, last night and Sunday there is no point and i thought the same about the Bracknell game, there was no need to risk him.
Not a classic last night.... on 12:13 - Nov 23 with 2233 viewsclive_baker

Not a classic last night.... on 12:08 - Nov 23 by davblue

Morsy, Harness shouldn't have started last night given McKenna's comments if they are true.

Morsy should be wrapped up in cotton wool until more of the senior bods are back, last night and Sunday there is no point and i thought the same about the Bracknell game, there was no need to risk him.

KM said in his presser that ideally neither Morsy nor Humphreys play last night, but who else is there? As Urban says, I do think you need a smattering of senior players to make it a worthwhile exercise for those younger ones. A team full of kids and a 5-0 thumping isn't going to help anyone.

I agree about Morsy though just because he's one player that we are SO reliant on, especially in the absence of Evans and Ball, but frankly even if they were fit, it's still not a fixture I would risk him in.

Not a classic last night.... on 12:24 - Nov 23 with 2179 viewspointofblue

Not a classic last night.... on 12:13 - Nov 23 by clive_baker

KM said in his presser that ideally neither Morsy nor Humphreys play last night, but who else is there? As Urban says, I do think you need a smattering of senior players to make it a worthwhile exercise for those younger ones. A team full of kids and a 5-0 thumping isn't going to help anyone.

I agree about Morsy though just because he's one player that we are SO reliant on, especially in the absence of Evans and Ball, but frankly even if they were fit, it's still not a fixture I would risk him in.

Is Alexander fit? We could have played him in the middle with Camara.

To meet EFL requirements without being fined we could have gone with:
Hladky, Agbaje, Keogh, Edmundson, Vincent-Young, Alexander, Ward, Camara, Leigh, Chirewa, Buabo

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Not a classic last night.... on 12:26 - Nov 23 with 2146 viewsitfcjoe

Not a classic last night.... on 12:24 - Nov 23 by pointofblue

Is Alexander fit? We could have played him in the middle with Camara.

To meet EFL requirements without being fined we could have gone with:
Hladky, Agbaje, Keogh, Edmundson, Vincent-Young, Alexander, Ward, Camara, Leigh, Chirewa, Buabo

He's on loan at Cheshunt

Not a classic last night.... on 12:55 - Nov 23 with 2028 viewspointofblue

Not a classic last night.... on 12:26 - Nov 23 by itfcjoe

He's on loan at Cheshunt

Thanks - missed that one. Knew he played in the cup against Northampton(?) earlier in the season.

We are short in midfield though I'm sure we have a youngster who we could have brought in. If McKenna is not that interested rest the entire first XI from Saturday.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Not a classic last night.... on 13:23 - Nov 23 with 1934 viewsIllinoisblue

Not a classic last night.... on 11:08 - Nov 23 by clive_baker

I don't think he's particularly effective as a wide player. It's so rare that he gets in behind a full back, he seems to play so much of the game with his back to goal. Compared to say Burns who fronts his full back at every opportunity. On the occasions KJ does get in behind his use of the ball is often frustrating. I don't think he's got enough about him to warrant a starting birth.

We're really reliant on Ladapo #9 and a combination of Chaplin, Harness, Aluko, John-Jules, Edwards, Burns as a 3 in behind, assuming we revert to more of a 4-2-3-1. It's the injury situation among that list that concerns me the most.

Last night we were terrible defensively, looked so poor on the ball right from Hladky through the back 4. Woolfenden didn't look at it at, and Edmundson was really sloppy in possession. Keogh too.

Feels like we could be sitting here five years from now and no matter what League we’re in or who our manager is, Jackson will still be an Ipswich player and still nobody will really be sure what his best position is.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Not a classic last night.... on 13:52 - Nov 23 with 1831 viewsDaninthecampo

Didnt see the game last night. Did Camara look off it due to rustiness or more him playing as a number 10 and not in the centre where he mostly plays?
Not a classic last night.... on 14:49 - Nov 23 with 1687 viewscbower

I think accommodating Keogh for these games is actually counter productive and last night it actually disrupted the system. Once again Edmundson is forced out of his best position and so was Woolf.
Jackson, as you say, cannot lead the line. He is at his best in a 442 with a partner up top. I agree, he can do a job wideish but he is not a winger nor a no 10. We need better than him, certainly if we go up.
If Harness is long term, I hope business is swift. We need Evans back asap to bolster numbers in the centre.
Is there any update on TJJ?

bluescouser

Not a classic last night.... on 15:03 - Nov 23 with 1629 viewsdavblue

Not a classic last night.... on 12:13 - Nov 23 by clive_baker

If we aren't that serious about it then them not playing last night would have been fine. I get that you can't leave them to the wolves so to speak but there would have been experience at the back, it's just that the midfield has been hit hard that i didn't think we had to play them last night.
Not a classic last night.... on 15:49 - Nov 23 with 1544 viewschicoazul

How can we have bought all these new players in the last two years and still look like we are at the bare bones. Banter Era.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Not a classic last night.... on 15:53 - Nov 23 with 1534 viewsVaughan8

Jackson isn't a central striker (nor is John Jules when he's fit). People on here seem to love Jackson but he doesn't seem to offer enough for me, even out wide.

Desperately need another main striker if this guy from Burton isn't up to it (appreciate he has been injured so haven't seen much of him).

I listened to the second half on TS2 and they were nearly taking the mick out of us giving the ball away all the time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024