Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lampard 20:33 - Mar 7 with 3005 viewshype313

What has done in management that warrants him getting top jobs? I know he's articulate and comes across well, but his record so far has been awful.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Lampard on 20:36 - Mar 7 with 2801 viewsitfcjoe

His record hasn't been awful though - took Derby to PO Final, got Chelsea into top 4 and Cup Final despite transfer ban and bought loads of top talent through at both clubs.

The Chelsea job was probably too big a jump and would have got that due to his playing history there, but he was hardly a failure there, he just got Chelsea'd

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lampard on 20:40 - Mar 7 with 2767 viewsSeablu

I guess he got Derby to a play off final, which was the nearest they’d come despite years of throwing money at it.
I guess he got Chelsea into the top 4 despite the transfer embargo, utilising the youngsters which previous managers were reluctant to do.

That said, his 2nd season at Chelsea was a shambles and I can’t believe Everton see him as the man for a relegation battle. Getting torn a new one by Conte tonight.
Lampard on 20:47 - Mar 7 with 2720 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s always been the way. Look at Xavi at Barcelona - 2 years experience in a Micky mouse league and then one of the top 5 jobs in football. It’s presumably all about what we don’t see; their approach and attitude to all elements of the job. Undoubtedly their careers gives them a leg up, but I don’t suppose that’s necessarily a bad thing. We’ve seen here that people can quickly become out of their depth stepping up. Lampard is in the environment he knows, so as long as his approach is right and he has a good team around him there’s no reason why he shouldn’t do ok.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lampard on 20:53 - Mar 7 with 2694 viewsJ2BLUE

Lampard on 20:36 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

His record hasn't been awful though - took Derby to PO Final, got Chelsea into top 4 and Cup Final despite transfer ban and bought loads of top talent through at both clubs.

The Chelsea job was probably too big a jump and would have got that due to his playing history there, but he was hardly a failure there, he just got Chelsea'd

This. Clearly a decent manager but has a big job on at Everton now.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lampard on 21:06 - Mar 7 with 2627 viewsitfcjoe

Lampard on 20:53 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

This. Clearly a decent manager but has a big job on at Everton now.

Yep, I think if he keeps them up this year he'll do well longer term - but they are staring down the barrel now

Lampard on 21:14 - Mar 7 with 2585 viewshype313

Still think he's extremely lucky to have landed the Everton job (regardless of thier current state) its still a plum opportunity and when you look at the players he had at his disposal at Chelsea, it wasn't like he was hamstrung by an inferior squad.

Jury's still out for me.

Lampard on 21:26 - Mar 7 with 2530 viewstractordownsouth

Lampard on 21:06 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

Yep, I think if he keeps them up this year he'll do well longer term - but they are staring down the barrel now

He's so unsuited for a relegation fight. Can't organise a defence to save his life.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Lampard on 22:08 - Mar 7 with 2418 viewsIllinoisblue

Lampard on 21:06 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

You look at their squad, though, and it’s average at best. Weak at the back, nothing in midfield and woeful in attack. How much are they paying Dele Ali for his retirement tour? Sort of awful signing Newcastle would have made before the oil money poured in.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Lampard on 22:15 - Mar 7 with 2380 viewshype313

Lampard on 22:08 - Mar 7 by Illinoisblue

You look at their squad, though, and it’s average at best. Weak at the back, nothing in midfield and woeful in attack. How much are they paying Dele Ali for his retirement tour? Sort of awful signing Newcastle would have made before the oil money poured in.

Potentially up to £40m if he hits key markers, which is optimistic at best.

Given how much of a state Everton were in when Lampard arrived, its bizarre why he opted for someone Poch, Mourhino, Santo and Conte couldn't get a tune out of.

The last sort of signing you need when you're in a dogfight.

Lampard on 22:17 - Mar 7 with 2362 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

An alternative and rather harsh summary would be that he took Derby to a lower points total than they achieved the season before despite spending heavily, then took Chelsea down the league from where they were under the much-maligned Sarri, before taking them even further down and getting sacked. And in 2 months time he may well have taken Everton down

EDIT: I was going to put a hilarious ‘Ooo Fw@nk’ on the start of this but apparently spelling his name that way doesn’t pass the swear filter!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2022 22:17]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Lampard on 22:20 - Mar 7 with 2325 viewshype313

Lampard on 22:17 - Mar 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

An alternative and rather harsh summary would be that he took Derby to a lower points total than they achieved the season before despite spending heavily, then took Chelsea down the league from where they were under the much-maligned Sarri, before taking them even further down and getting sacked. And in 2 months time he may well have taken Everton down

EDIT: I was going to put a hilarious ‘Ooo Fw@nk’ on the start of this but apparently spelling his name that way doesn’t pass the swear filter!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2022 22:17]

But clearly he's a decent manager.

Lampard on 00:00 - Mar 8 with 2115 viewsChurchman

Lampard on 22:08 - Mar 7 by Illinoisblue

Indeed. Dele Alli is a real ‘marquee’ signing of the worst order. A smashing player a few years ago, he looks injury prone and lost now and in their current plight up to £40m for a player like that was money misspent.

For me, Derby under achieved under Lampard. They had more resources than anyone else. They were lucky to make the play offs and lucky to beat Leeds. In the three play off games and a game before season’s end I thought he was tactically out thought by his opposite numbers.

At Chelsea, I thought he did ok, but his replacement showed just how much Lampard has to learn. There were plenty hoping he or that piece of work John thank you Roman Terry got the Ipswich job. Thank goodness that never happened. I had too much of a gutful of Roy Keane’s Ipswich to want more of the same with the likes of Lampard, top player though he was.
Lampard on 00:42 - Mar 8 with 2072 viewsBury_St_Edmundson

Lampard on 00:00 - Mar 8 by Churchman

Indeed. Dele Alli is a real ‘marquee’ signing of the worst order. A smashing player a few years ago, he looks injury prone and lost now and in their current plight up to £40m for a player like that was money misspent.

For me, Derby under achieved under Lampard. They had more resources than anyone else. They were lucky to make the play offs and lucky to beat Leeds. In the three play off games and a game before season’s end I thought he was tactically out thought by his opposite numbers.

At Chelsea, I thought he did ok, but his replacement showed just how much Lampard has to learn. There were plenty hoping he or that piece of work John thank you Roman Terry got the Ipswich job. Thank goodness that never happened. I had too much of a gutful of Roy Keane’s Ipswich to want more of the same with the likes of Lampard, top player though he was.

I'd agree

took Derby from 6th to 6th with investment and Ashley Cole
considerable underachievement

Lucked out with the transfer embargo and had to play kids of a VERY good calibre who were hungry and playing for a contract and starting place that he dropped the second he had some cash to splurge...
[Post edited 8 Mar 2022 0:42]
Lampard on 03:36 - Mar 8 with 1972 viewsBigCommon

What has he done???.... Nothing....

Bottled it at Derby, with the likes of Mason Mount playing...

Spent quarter of a billion of Romans ill gotten gains at Chelski, bringing in the likes of Haverts and Werner, amongst others, and won nothing,

I don't understand why he's even in the hat, when any ,half decent mangers job comes up... He has about 2 and half years of "nothing" on his managerial CV....

When you look at what Howe is doing at Newcastle, compared to Frank bunbling along with no tactical nous.. It's clear to see, that Frank should not be in a Prem' job.. Maybe cut his teeth for a few years in L1/Championship, just to see, if he can "actually" do a job..

Don't like seeing anyone struggle... But , if Everton scrape home and secure Prem safety.. Can that really be measures as success for Everton FC or FL?... Their fans will pull them over the line, in a lot of home games. Against lesser teams.. They're a decent , loyal bunch.. Should be enough to keep them up...
[Post edited 8 Mar 2022 3:39]
Lampard on 08:31 - Mar 8 with 1660 viewsElephantintheRoom

Aside from doing better than expected at Derby and Chelsea? Like the Romans before him, not a lot I guess.

Lampard is intelligent, articulate and can communicate. That puts him on a higher pedestal than most managers. Most nowadays have teams of yes men who actually do all the work - leaving them free to chew gum furiously on the sidelines and shout abuse at the referee. Lampard seems to follow that well trodden path.

I wouldn’t describe Everton as a top job - more a basket case pay off in waiting. However, it does almost uniquely put Lampard in the employ of two of Putin’s money launderers.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Lampard on 09:10 - Mar 8 with 1562 viewsChurchman

Lampard on 08:31 - Mar 8 by ElephantintheRoom

Aside from doing better than expected at Derby and Chelsea? Like the Romans before him, not a lot I guess.

Lampard is intelligent, articulate and can communicate. That puts him on a higher pedestal than most managers. Most nowadays have teams of yes men who actually do all the work - leaving them free to chew gum furiously on the sidelines and shout abuse at the referee. Lampard seems to follow that well trodden path.

I wouldn’t describe Everton as a top job - more a basket case pay off in waiting. However, it does almost uniquely put Lampard in the employ of two of Putin’s money launderers.

Derby were favourites to win the Championship the year he was there. They were a mile off. At Chelsea he was sacked for being poor and replaced by a bloke who then won them the Champions League. What have the Romans done for us? In Lampard’s case, hose money up the wall for no return.
Lampard on 09:26 - Mar 8 with 1534 viewsitfcjoe

Lampard on 09:10 - Mar 8 by Churchman

Derby were favourites to win the Championship the year he was there. They were a mile off. At Chelsea he was sacked for being poor and replaced by a bloke who then won them the Champions League. What have the Romans done for us? In Lampard’s case, hose money up the wall for no return.

Derby weren't favorites to win the league, they were cutting back on spendinga bit, and reliant on his loans

Also at Chelsea they'd just lost their best player in a decade and had a transfer ban - him bringing through Mount, James, Abraham, Tomori was a massive deal that no one before managed to do it from their academy

Did he want to spend £150m on Werener and Havertz? Probably not - he wanted Rice. But Chelsea does it's own thing and is ruthless with it's managers - most of their fans would say he did a good job there and looking back it looks better with what he brought through.

Tuchel took them on no doubt, but a very solid base was laid

Lampard on 09:44 - Mar 8 with 1493 viewsSaleAway

Its all part of the master plan...

he gets them relegated, then Rooney comes in to clear up his mess, and use his championship experience :-)

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Lampard on 09:47 - Mar 8 with 1481 viewsChurchman

Lampard on 09:26 - Mar 8 by itfcjoe

Derby weren't favorites to win the league, they were cutting back on spendinga bit, and reliant on his loans

Also at Chelsea they'd just lost their best player in a decade and had a transfer ban - him bringing through Mount, James, Abraham, Tomori was a massive deal that no one before managed to do it from their academy

Did he want to spend £150m on Werener and Havertz? Probably not - he wanted Rice. But Chelsea does it's own thing and is ruthless with it's managers - most of their fans would say he did a good job there and looking back it looks better with what he brought through.

Ok, Fair enough, 6-1 according to a Derby report of the time. My Chelsea supporting mate and his son were pleased with the appointment, accepted the first season and wanted him out by the time Tuchel came in. A sample of 2 Chelsea fans. I reckon that’s a sufficient poll size to support my view.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2022 10:13]
Lampard on 10:12 - Mar 8 with 1423 viewsBlueBadger

Fair play to Keano, he was holder of the title 'inspiration for our most embarrassing banner' for the best part of a decade until Lambert came along.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lampard on 10:23 - Mar 8 with 1392 viewsWD19

Tuchel at Chelsea apparently rates him very highly. When they first approached him about the job he was apparently very surprised that Chelsea wanted to get rid of Lampard in favour of him.
Lampard on 10:32 - Mar 8 with 1371 viewsGuthrum

Think a key phrase in there is 'how much Lampard has to learn'. He's still pretty raw in terms of his managerial career, just 148 games in all competitions, making him significantly less experienced than Roy Keane.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lampard on 10:44 - Mar 8 with 1329 viewsChurchman

Lampard on 10:32 - Mar 8 by Guthrum

Think a key phrase in there is 'how much Lampard has to learn'. He's still pretty raw in terms of his managerial career, just 148 games in all competitions, making him significantly less experienced than Roy Keane.

Also how much he is willing and able to learn. He always speaks well and as a player, there’s nothing he doesn’t know. But that doesn’t necessarily make him a top manager, where the skill set is clearly different. When you have it all including a celebrity lifestyle, how much do you want the aggro of it?

Lampard is 43 now. Robson had managed for 8 years by that age. He’s not that young any more, though I take your point about the number of games he’s managed. I don’t know why I’m so anti him really. Don’t know the bloke. I guess it’s the ‘Frank Lampard’s Derby’ celebrity rubbish that surrounds the likes of him and Keane. Top players rarely make good managers, not least because many cannot understand why lesser mortals don’t have the skill or work ethic they had.

The real surprise is Rooney. I thought there was more chance of me making Pope than him a good manager - and the nearest I get to religion is a light and bitter (old school). He’s done phenomenally well in the worst circumstances.
Lampard on 10:59 - Mar 8 with 1300 viewsGuthrum

Lampard on 10:44 - Mar 8 by Churchman

Also how much he is willing and able to learn. He always speaks well and as a player, there’s nothing he doesn’t know. But that doesn’t necessarily make him a top manager, where the skill set is clearly different. When you have it all including a celebrity lifestyle, how much do you want the aggro of it?

Lampard is 43 now. Robson had managed for 8 years by that age. He’s not that young any more, though I take your point about the number of games he’s managed. I don’t know why I’m so anti him really. Don’t know the bloke. I guess it’s the ‘Frank Lampard’s Derby’ celebrity rubbish that surrounds the likes of him and Keane. Top players rarely make good managers, not least because many cannot understand why lesser mortals don’t have the skill or work ethic they had.

The real surprise is Rooney. I thought there was more chance of me making Pope than him a good manager - and the nearest I get to religion is a light and bitter (old school). He’s done phenomenally well in the worst circumstances.

I suppose one issue is that highly successful players nowadays go on much longer (Lampard didn't retire until he was 38, Robson had been managing three years by that age), so they start coaching later.

Rooney went a more traditional route, sliding through a player-manager position into a dugout-only role. Also transitioned at an earlier age than Lampard and having played for - thus knowing from the inside the issues at - the club where he was taking over.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lampard on 11:21 - Mar 8 with 1232 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lampard on 09:26 - Mar 8 by itfcjoe

Derby had cut back on spending so much that they signed Waghorn, Marriott and Jozefzoon for sizeable fees, Ashley Cole on no doubt extortionate wages not to mention the loanees who won’t have come cheap

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024