Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
German furlough scheme gets it right... 08:10 - Aug 16 with 3809 viewsuefacup81

The German furlough scheme (Kurzarbeitergeld) was already pretty well-structured. It covers any loss of income (no need to be fully furloughed), increases over time (60% of shortfall covered in months 1-3, 70% in months 4-6, 80% from month 7), and pays 7% extra if you have a child.

They've just announced they're extending the programme to run for 24 months instead of the original 12.

But hey, at least I can get 50% off a Nandos!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 08:38 - Aug 16 with 3709 viewsKeno

I have a question

If it increases over time where is the incentive to return to work?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:04 - Aug 16 with 3652 viewsGlasgowBlue

The 50% off at Nando’s comment is a bit glib.

The eat out to help out scheme has increased trade to the extent that I’ve taken an extra couple of staff members off furlough and back into the workplace. I would imagine bigger places than mine have brought back even more staff.

The scheme also read the British psyche very well. When I reopened, I was dead. Looked like going out of the game in a few months as people just weren’t coming out.

A simple 50% discount was enough to gate people out after months of living in fear. When they did come out they saw that the social distancing measures put in place made eating out safe, and this has lead to and increase in trade on the days that the eat out scheme isn’t running.

If my experience is being reflected across the country, then an industry that provides a large chunk of the tax take now has a future.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:09 - Aug 16 with 3629 viewsuefacup81

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 08:38 - Aug 16 by Keno

I have a question

The employer must prove that there has been a drop-off in work/income in order to necessitate a move to short-hours working.

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:10 - Aug 16 with 3629 viewsWeWereZombies

I have a question

Given how many transgressions of lock down there have been shouldn't the incentive be to stay at home for the moment?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:16 - Aug 16 with 3604 viewsuefacup81

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:04 - Aug 16 by GlasgowBlue

The eat out to help out scheme has increased trade to the extent that I’ve taken an extra couple of staff members off furlough and back into the workplace. I would imagine bigger places than mine have brought back even more staff.

The scheme also read the British psyche very well. When I reopened, I was dead. Looked like going out of the game in a few months as people just weren’t coming out.

A simple 50% discount was enough to gate people out after months of living in fear. When they did come out they saw that the social distancing measures put in place made eating out safe, and this has lead to and increase in trade on the days that the eat out scheme isn’t running.

If my experience is being reflected across the country, then an industry that provides a large chunk of the tax take now has a future.

I'm afraid I just don't believe it was as well-intentioned as that.

If the government was truly looking to boost the hospitality sector, why not make the discount across-the-board as opposed to eat-in only?

There's more to it than just propping up a sector, and a further incentive to get people into enclosed spaces merely adds another piece of evidence to the whole 'herd immunity' argument.

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:19 - Aug 16 with 3593 viewsKeno

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:09 - Aug 16 by uefacup81

The employer must prove that there has been a drop-off in work/income in order to necessitate a move to short-hours working.

fair enough

I know of UK employers who are having issues getting staff back

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:38 - Aug 16 with 3525 viewsallezlesbleus

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:19 - Aug 16 by Keno

fair enough

I have had this problem, particularly with part-time staff. I may be cynical, but I think these employees would have been far more willing to return to work if this had happened over the autumn / winter when the weather would be much worse. Several off them seem quite content to receive FP for sunbathing in the garden.
German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:46 - Aug 16 with 3496 viewsGlasgowBlue

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:16 - Aug 16 by uefacup81

I'm afraid I just don't believe it was as well-intentioned as that.

If the government was truly looking to boost the hospitality sector, why not make the discount across-the-board as opposed to eat-in only?

There's more to it than just propping up a sector, and a further incentive to get people into enclosed spaces merely adds another piece of evidence to the whole 'herd immunity' argument.

"why not make the discount across-the-board as opposed to eat-in only?"

Because Take-Away businesses were able to operate throughout lockdown, whereas as eat in places had no income for 4 1/2 months.

Alongside the VAT cut, it's kept a lot of businesses such as mine afloat.

Re your last point. Until we have a vaccine then we have no choice but to get people out trying to act as normally as possible. The consequences of a crashed economy, including the deaths, poverty, mental health issues, our kids not being etc, will far outweigh those of the Covid virus.

An economy isn't something that is nice to have. Its the mechanisms for paying for our health service, schools etc.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 10:25 - Aug 16 with 3358 viewsGlasgowBlue

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:19 - Aug 16 by Keno

fair enough

That’s true. We are well behind other European countries in returning to the workplace.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/uk-lags-behind-europe-on-returning-to-office/

That has a knock on effect to the shops, bars and restaurants these workers were previously using.

Iron Lion Zion

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 11:45 - Aug 16 with 3232 viewsfactual_blue

I have a question

Arbeit Macht Frei, or in English 'work is liberating'.

A slogan the tories would happily sign up to.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 14:24]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 11:48 - Aug 16 with 3216 viewspointofblue

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 10:25 - Aug 16 by GlasgowBlue

That’s true. We are well behind other European countries in returning to the workplace.

That has a knock on effect to the shops, bars and restaurants these workers were previously using.

Which means the German scheme will be cheaper to run than the U.K. scheme.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 11:50 - Aug 16 with 3207 viewsfactual_blue

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:10 - Aug 16 by WeWereZombies

Given how many transgressions of lock down there have been shouldn't the incentive be to stay at home for the moment?

A mate has a daughter living in Melbourne.

She says that it's widely held in Melbourne that the currently resurgence in Covid is down to the staff at hotels where the govt placed returnees into quarantine.

The staff were, allegedly, providing or arranging sexual services for those in quarantine.

I don't know whether to believe this or not.

I suspect it's from facetwit, and originates from some sort of nasty Aussie white supremacists. A lot of first nation people and Asian working in Aussie hotels.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 11:53 - Aug 16 with 3189 viewsGlasgowBlue

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 11:45 - Aug 16 by factual_blue

As crass and tasteless as ever facters.

Iron Lion Zion

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 11:56 - Aug 16 with 3172 viewswitchdoctor

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 11:53 - Aug 16 by GlasgowBlue

As crass and tasteless as ever facters.

indeed...would you expect anything less?
German furlough scheme gets it right... on 17:02 - Aug 16 with 2878 viewsSarge

Personally I think it’s a good thing. If the last few months have proven that working from home can be done, why the rush to undo all that and go back to the way things were? Working from home is better for the environment, better for a lot of people’s mental health, better for family time and hopefully means people don’t all have to live in the same areas. I know it’s bad for some shops and restaurants but maybe if people aren’t wasting hours each day commuting they might start to spend some of their new free time and the money they haven’t sunk into overpriced travel in these places.

Just seems like this was an opportunity to rethink the way we do things and to create a more sustainable way to live, hopefully we don’t throw it away to go back to how we were.
German furlough scheme gets it right... on 17:35 - Aug 16 with 2836 viewsShawsey

So why would companies take their employees back? Not sure it is the best way to get back to work. Some of us have worked throughout without 50% off a Nandos.
German furlough scheme gets it right... on 18:37 - Aug 16 with 2760 viewsSonOfSpock

I want to return back to the office just to be in a different environment and to have contact with other people not on Teams or Zoom. The novelty of working from home has definitely worn off.

The Majority of my colleagues have turned round and said they dont want to return because it saves them petrol money. I am allowed back, but to be honest, unless people are phsically there there's no difference me being at the office speaking to people on teams versus speaking to people on teams from home.

It also sounds like a right faff in the office with screens, one way systems, closed off meeting rooms and not being able to to walk to other rooms.
German furlough scheme gets it right... on 19:03 - Aug 16 with 2704 viewsuefacup81

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 17:35 - Aug 16 by Shawsey

So why would companies take their employees back? Not sure it is the best way to get back to work. Some of us have worked throughout without 50% off a Nandos.

Because, as stated above, there are criteria that employers must fulfil in order to benefit from the scheme.

They can't just choose to keep employees on Kurzarbeit if the demand has returned.

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 19:09 - Aug 16 with 2695 viewsAce_High1

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 18:37 - Aug 16 by SonOfSpock

I want to return back to the office just to be in a different environment and to have contact with other people not on Teams or Zoom. The novelty of working from home has definitely worn off.

The Majority of my colleagues have turned round and said they dont want to return because it saves them petrol money. I am allowed back, but to be honest, unless people are phsically there there's no difference me being at the office speaking to people on teams versus speaking to people on teams from home.

It also sounds like a right faff in the office with screens, one way systems, closed off meeting rooms and not being able to to walk to other rooms.

Still good to get in a routine though and to get up and out the door.

We re-opened our office about 2 months ago for use for small groups/internal meetings.

I work from there about 3-4 days a week now and it works well.
German furlough scheme gets it right... on 19:45 - Aug 16 with 2648 viewsMugwump

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 11:45 - Aug 16 by factual_blue

That’s a bit sneaky.

Your edited post bears little resemblance to the post that myself and others downvoted.
German furlough scheme gets it right... on 21:08 - Aug 16 with 2564 viewslongtimefan

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 17:02 - Aug 16 by Sarge

Personally I think it’s a good thing. If the last few months have proven that working from home can be done, why the rush to undo all that and go back to the way things were? Working from home is better for the environment, better for a lot of people’s mental health, better for family time and hopefully means people don’t all have to live in the same areas. I know it’s bad for some shops and restaurants but maybe if people aren’t wasting hours each day commuting they might start to spend some of their new free time and the money they haven’t sunk into overpriced travel in these places.

Just seems like this was an opportunity to rethink the way we do things and to create a more sustainable way to live, hopefully we don’t throw it away to go back to how we were.

Interestingly my based Norwegian colleagues are basically being given a three line whip to return to the office at least 3 days a week from now onwards. This is despite everyone working from home completely satisfactorily. It apples to even those who need to use public transport, who have been told to just avoid peak hours.
German furlough scheme gets it right... on 21:09 - Aug 16 with 2563 viewsSwansea_Blue

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 09:04 - Aug 16 by GlasgowBlue

“read the British psyche”. I know, depressing isn’t it.

Glad you’re doing well though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 21:23 - Aug 16 with 2549 viewsSarge

German furlough scheme gets it right... on 21:08 - Aug 16 by longtimefan

Interestingly my based Norwegian colleagues are basically being given a three line whip to return to the office at least 3 days a week from now onwards. This is despite everyone working from home completely satisfactorily. It apples to even those who need to use public transport, who have been told to just avoid peak hours.

What nonsense. When will presenteeism finally die? My days in the office are over (at least in this job). I’ve no need to be there, get no benefit from being there and it seems my superiors agree (although the office is not yet open to put their words to the test).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024