Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures 10:25 - Mar 18 with 2035 viewsStokieBlue

Reports today of people ignoring government measures and breaking into mosques and holy shrines to worship. I don't think they have quite grasped the gravity of the situation in their country.

Study from Sharif University today which does look like worst-case but:

They need to start behaving and following the advice - things are not good there.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 10:28 - Mar 18 with 2009 viewsHerbivore

Iran seems like a country on the brink, not just because of this either. I think the world might look a bit different in 18 months time when the dust starts to settle.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 11:14 - Mar 18 with 1912 viewsMullet

Partly a result of the complex political/religious overlap in Shia Islam and Iran I'd say. The clerics have a huge grip on the population in some very subtle ways.

You'll see the same in the Phillipines and Bible Belt America when the preachers get going on their pay-per-pray money grabbing and finger pointing. I can see there being a massive global shift in all kinds of different layers of society, which might not ever right itself fully.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 11:25 - Mar 18 with 1887 viewsSwansea_Blue

Presumably the worse it gets the more they want to prey!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 11:30 - Mar 18 with 1869 viewsjeera

As an aside, but Iran related, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has been given a couple of weeks out of prison:

Hopefully this might signal the end of her stay there?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51937629

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 13:37 - Mar 18 with 1787 viewsBluesquid

Very irresponsible behavior i must say and i agree that they really do need to start behaving and to follow the advice given.

I also agree that things are not good there, not good at all.
Iran is in desperate need of medical supplies and humanitarian goods.

"Last Thursday, Iran's government applied for a $5 billion (€4.6 billion) loan from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to fight the epidemic – the first time it has asked the IMF for assistance in over 50 years. Yet, even if it gets the loan, the administration won't be able to shop for much-needed medical supplies: US sanctions make the banking transactions required to secure even medical supplies and humanitarian goods virtually impossible.

https://www.dw.com/en/iran-faces-catastrophic-death-toll-from-coronavirus/a-5281
Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 13:58 - Mar 18 with 1744 viewshampstead_blue

Law unto themselves. Bad decisions.
Did I read that they had released a load of prisoners because the jail was rife with C19?

They need an express delivery of Regime Change!

STOP - I am joking (the last bit, not the first)

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 14:19 - Mar 18 with 1712 viewsStokieBlue

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 13:37 - Mar 18 by Bluesquid

Very irresponsible behavior i must say and i agree that they really do need to start behaving and to follow the advice given.

I also agree that things are not good there, not good at all.
Iran is in desperate need of medical supplies and humanitarian goods.

"Last Thursday, Iran's government applied for a $5 billion (€4.6 billion) loan from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to fight the epidemic – the first time it has asked the IMF for assistance in over 50 years. Yet, even if it gets the loan, the administration won't be able to shop for much-needed medical supplies: US sanctions make the banking transactions required to secure even medical supplies and humanitarian goods virtually impossible.

https://www.dw.com/en/iran-faces-catastrophic-death-toll-from-coronavirus/a-5281

I agree that the US shouldn't be preventing medical supplies getting to Iran at this most difficult of times.

I thought medical supplies were outside the sanctions but I can see how banking sanctions could be used to make them inside.

SB

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 16:13 - Mar 18 with 1622 viewsGeoffSentence

Probably for the same reason that turks drive so recklessly.

Inshallah.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 01:15 - Mar 19 with 1522 viewsjeera

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 11:30 - Mar 18 by jeera

As an aside, but Iran related, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has been given a couple of weeks out of prison:

Hopefully this might signal the end of her stay there?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51937629

Further to this, if anyone's interested:

"Reuters is reporting that Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei will pardon 10,000 prisoners including political ones in honour of the Iranian new year on Friday, state TV reported.
Those who will be pardoned will not return to jail ... almost half of those security-related prisoners will be pardoned as well,” judiciary spokesman Gholamhossein Esmaili told state TV on Wednesday."

No specific mention of her but hopefully will be included in that number.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 07:59 - Mar 19 with 1389 viewsOxford_Blue

Ironic that they would put their lives at risk for a deity who supposedly loves them
Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 08:06 - Mar 19 with 1382 viewsHerbivore

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 07:59 - Mar 19 by Oxford_Blue

Ironic that they would put their lives at risk for a deity who supposedly loves them

You seem to be using the Alanis Morrisette definition of ironic.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 12:49 - Mar 20 with 1277 viewsStokieBlue

Seems today some of the Iranian people are being even more stupid.

"Appeals by the Iranian government for the nation to stay at home at the start of Iranian new year have been widely ignored with more than 1.2m taking to the roads, according to the Iranian police.

Northern towns on the Caspian coast, one of the main holiday destinations, reported tens of thousands of cars trying to reach them.

Latest figures published Friday showed Iran now has 19,644 cases of infection and 1,433 deaths. New infections in the past 24 hours was 1,237 and the number of new deaths 149."

SB

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 12:55 - Mar 20 with 1268 viewsLord_Lucan

So what happens if and when the sane world gets over the virus but Iran is still riddled? Surely they will just keep infecting the world.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 13:55 - Mar 20 with 1207 viewsBluesquid

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 12:55 - Mar 20 by Lord_Lucan

So what happens if and when the sane world gets over the virus but Iran is still riddled? Surely they will just keep infecting the world.

Not if they can get the medical supplies and humanitarian goods that they so desperately need but US sanctions make this virtually impossible and with the US on Wednesday slapping further sanctions on Iran, regardless of what one thinks of the Iranian leaders the lives of millions of normal Iranians are at serious risk and as you point out putting the rest of the world at risk as well.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 14:10]
Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 09:31 - Mar 22 with 1127 viewsStokieBlue

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 13:55 - Mar 20 by Bluesquid

Not if they can get the medical supplies and humanitarian goods that they so desperately need but US sanctions make this virtually impossible and with the US on Wednesday slapping further sanctions on Iran, regardless of what one thinks of the Iranian leaders the lives of millions of normal Iranians are at serious risk and as you point out putting the rest of the world at risk as well.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2020 14:10]

Well the US have offered medical supplies and staff and Khamenei has turned them down and accused them of making the virus on national TV.

"Possibly your (offered) medicine is a way to spread the virus more, Khamenei said. Or if you send therapists and doctors, maybe he wants to see the effect of the poison, since it is said that part of the virus is built for Iran."

So whilst I agreed with you before on sanctions perhaps you should now direct your anger towards the Iranian regime with equal vigour as you do towards the US?

SB

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 10:12 - Mar 22 with 1084 viewsBluesquid

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 09:31 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

Well the US have offered medical supplies and staff and Khamenei has turned them down and accused them of making the virus on national TV.

"Possibly your (offered) medicine is a way to spread the virus more, Khamenei said. Or if you send therapists and doctors, maybe he wants to see the effect of the poison, since it is said that part of the virus is built for Iran."

So whilst I agreed with you before on sanctions perhaps you should now direct your anger towards the Iranian regime with equal vigour as you do towards the US?

SB

Yes, it is madness, but as i mentioned before regardless of what one thinks of their leaders they have the right to medical supplies and humanitarian goods on the open market and not from the US and the US only.
Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 10:58 - Mar 22 with 1048 viewshampstead_blue

Iranians seem to be ignoring government measures on 09:31 - Mar 22 by StokieBlue

SB

Just like them Ruskies.

I fear the states which simply can't bear to lose face and admit this is a problem may be the places to harbour this C19 which won't help when we've all done our bit over time to quell it.

Their ego and possibly religion, is putting us all at much greater risk.

Gawd elp me.....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024