Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Form against the top ten 21:47 - Dec 15 with 1170 viewsMullet

I was drunkenly getting this wrong last night but have had another go, so feel free to correct a dataphobe like me.

Of the current top ten in the league we've yet to play Oxford or Pompey (obviously that changes soon)

So far we've gone like this.

Home: Rotherham 0-2, Blackpool 2-2, Wycombe 0-0, Brizzle 1-2,
GF 3 GA 6 Pts 2/12 (16%)

Away: Posh 2-2, Fleetwood 1-0, Coventry 1-1
GF 5 GA 3 Pts 7/9 (77%)

Total: GF 8 GA 9 pts 9/21 (43%)

Add in the 3-0 win over Shrewsbury and 1-1 with Sunderland who make up the top half, and it improves slightly all round to us taking 48% of the possible points. It bumps up the GD nicely. That's not the best or the worst record against everyone close to the top six, albeit even Shrewsbury need a big win in their game in hand to make it in the near future.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Form against the top ten on 21:56 - Dec 15 with 1127 viewsOldsmoker

Your stats are correct.
It's worrying until you realise we don't need to beat all the top 10 as long as we demolish the bottom 12.
That doesn't bode well if we get promoted because league 1 top 10 would find it hard to compete with the Championship bottom 12 so what chance would we have to stay up.

With the Tories winning, our current form and stocking up the drinks cabinet for Xmas I think anyone would find it hard not to turn to drink.
I found it exceptionally easy. hic.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Form against the top ten on 22:00 - Dec 15 with 1116 viewsMullet

Form against the top ten on 21:56 - Dec 15 by Oldsmoker

Your stats are correct.
It's worrying until you realise we don't need to beat all the top 10 as long as we demolish the bottom 12.
That doesn't bode well if we get promoted because league 1 top 10 would find it hard to compete with the Championship bottom 12 so what chance would we have to stay up.

With the Tories winning, our current form and stocking up the drinks cabinet for Xmas I think anyone would find it hard not to turn to drink.
I found it exceptionally easy. hic.

Quite, the adjustment to "big fish" in this shltty puddle of a league is perhaps starting to bite, but as I said last season, being promoted just to beg at the Championship table like we're Burton or Rotherham is still unacceptable.

You'd hope if we make it a one season stop we'll have improved massively in the second half of the season to do so. It'd make shedding duds and recruiting better easier too though.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Form against the top ten on 22:14 - Dec 15 with 1079 viewsOldsmoker

Form against the top ten on 22:00 - Dec 15 by Mullet

Quite, the adjustment to "big fish" in this shltty puddle of a league is perhaps starting to bite, but as I said last season, being promoted just to beg at the Championship table like we're Burton or Rotherham is still unacceptable.

You'd hope if we make it a one season stop we'll have improved massively in the second half of the season to do so. It'd make shedding duds and recruiting better easier too though.

Gareth Ainsworth, manager of Wycombe, has said that they've been lucky with injuries so far.
The second half of the season and our bigger squad will see us improve our results.
If we get promoted, look out for my post where I'll be saying 20th is acceptable - and please ignore my past-season posts under MM where i said 14th is unacceptable.

Form against the top ten on 22:37 - Dec 15 with 1022 viewsHARRY10

GF 5 GA 3 Pts 7/9 (77%)

?
Form against the top ten on 22:41 - Dec 15 with 1013 viewsOldsmoker

Form against the top ten on 22:37 - Dec 15 by HARRY10

GF 5 GA 3 Pts 7/9 (77%)

?

...and the award for sober pedant of Sunday night goes to.....

Form against the top ten on 23:36 - Dec 15 with 970 viewsGuthrum

Outside the current top 10, however ...

Home: Sunderland 1-1, Wimbledon 2-1, Shrewsbury 3-0, Doncaster 0-0, Tranmere 4-1, GF 10 GA 3, Pts 11/15 (73%)

Away: Burton 0-1, Bolton 0-5, MK 0-1, Gillingham 0-1, Accrington 2-0, Southend 1-3, Rochdale 0-1, GF 12 GA 3, Pts 18/21 (86%)

Thing is, in the last eight games, we've only played three teams outside the current top seven in the division - two of whom we beat. That probably has as much to do with our poor recent run as anything else, a string of fixtures against the best teams in the division.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 0:02]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Form against the top ten on 23:51 - Dec 15 with 962 viewsGuthrum

Also, a comparison with our rivals:

Team, pts against the current top ten
Wycombe, 11/21 (52%)
Ipswich, 7/21 (33%)
Peterborough, 4/21 (19%)
Bristol, 11/21 (52%)
Blackpool, 15/27 (56%)
Rotherham, 9/21 (43%)
Coventry, 13/24 (54%)

So we're a bit behind most of the others, but even they're not taking much more than half the available points.

Edit: Peterborough haven't beaten a single team currently in the top half of the table.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2019 23:57]

Form against the top ten on 00:07 - Dec 16 with 927 viewsHARRY10

Form against the top ten on 23:36 - Dec 15 by Guthrum

Outside the current top 10, however ...

Home: Sunderland 1-1, Wimbledon 2-1, Shrewsbury 3-0, Doncaster 0-0, Tranmere 4-1, GF 10 GA 3, Pts 11/15 (73%)

Away: Burton 0-1, Bolton 0-5, MK 0-1, Gillingham 0-1, Accrington 2-0, Southend 1-3, Rochdale 0-1, GF 12 GA 3, Pts 18/21 (86%)

Thing is, in the last eight games, we've only played three teams outside the current top seven in the division - two of whom we beat. That probably has as much to do with our poor recent run as anything else, a string of fixtures against the best teams in the division.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 0:02]

Whilemit may be an indication, what really matters isnwhere we are come the halfway mark.

Points needed for an automatic place vary from year to year so they are not the best indication.

By 23 games we will have played everyone once, so freak results, bad luck, etcshould have evened itself out and if we are still second by then that is a good place to kick on to May. One most fans would have taken in August.

A bonus is that we will have five games less as we are out of both cups. Although I'm not sure what games we still have in that 'silly' cup.

Maybe a shuffling of the pack in January with some deadwood out on loan with a few in to 'give the lads' a hand will see us shrug of this low spot, and shrug of this sorry league status.
Login to get fewer ads

Form against the top ten on 00:32 - Dec 16 with 895 viewsGuthrum

Form against the top ten on 00:07 - Dec 16 by HARRY10

Whilemit may be an indication, what really matters isnwhere we are come the halfway mark.

Points needed for an automatic place vary from year to year so they are not the best indication.

By 23 games we will have played everyone once, so freak results, bad luck, etcshould have evened itself out and if we are still second by then that is a good place to kick on to May. One most fans would have taken in August.

A bonus is that we will have five games less as we are out of both cups. Although I'm not sure what games we still have in that 'silly' cup.

Maybe a shuffling of the pack in January with some deadwood out on loan with a few in to 'give the lads' a hand will see us shrug of this low spot, and shrug of this sorry league status.

The postponed Oxford game is going to rather mess up that calculation, given we will have faced Gillingham twice in the League before reaching the half-way stage. Actually, with the way round the Gills and Lincoln matches are, that would have happened anyway ...

Up to four games left in the EFL Trophy, including the Exeter match on 4th January.

Form against the top ten on 07:19 - Dec 16 with 773 viewsChrisd

Form against the top ten on 22:00 - Dec 15 by Mullet

First and foremost we need to get back up, so pointless worrying about the Championship especially when we are currently in a dip in form and struggling. However, I was hoping that this season that PL would start to build a side with long term ambitions, but we look so far away from that it's frightening. PL needs to go back to the drawing board and establish what his preferred formation is, his best XI and start playing it consistently, he's lost sight of that with all the chopping and changing recently.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Form against the top ten on 09:14 - Dec 16 with 636 viewsSWGF

Form against the top ten on 23:51 - Dec 15 by Guthrum

Also, a comparison with our rivals:

Team, pts against the current top ten
Wycombe, 11/21 (52%)
Ipswich, 7/21 (33%)
Peterborough, 4/21 (19%)
Bristol, 11/21 (52%)
Blackpool, 15/27 (56%)
Rotherham, 9/21 (43%)
Coventry, 13/24 (54%)

So we're a bit behind most of the others, but even they're not taking much more than half the available points.

Edit: Peterborough haven't beaten a single team currently in the top half of the table.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2019 23:57]

Very interesting about Peterborough. The very definition of "flat track bullies".

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024