Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Political discussion as a standard 17:20 - Sep 26 with 4876 viewswkj

This isn't a dig at anyone, or even the broader discussion of politics on TWTD, but a wider look at the way the world communicates politics. Isn't it almost heartbreaking how the most engaging discussions stem from someone posing criticism of an opposing point of view evolving into heated debate, rather than people highlighting the positives of someone they support then evolving into political debate.

I am in no way immune to this myself, but it is staggering how this conduct is 'the norm' for the politicians, and how it filters down to the civilians too. I am not trying to start a revolution here, but surely someone, somewhere, happens to be more emboldened by the good they see in their own party rather than the vitriol they hold for the other.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Political discussion as a standard on 17:21 - Sep 26 with 1213 viewsJ2BLUE

To be fair, there's very little to admire at the moment. I was thinking earlier, I almost consider it my duty to vote against the Tories when you look at who they have leading the government but Labour make it extremely difficult. Anyone else is a wasted vote.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Political discussion as a standard on 17:24 - Sep 26 with 1196 viewswkj

Political discussion as a standard on 17:21 - Sep 26 by J2BLUE

To be fair, there's very little to admire at the moment. I was thinking earlier, I almost consider it my duty to vote against the Tories when you look at who they have leading the government but Labour make it extremely difficult. Anyone else is a wasted vote.

Your last point is one I would like to focus on. A vote is far from wasted in many ways. There are votes thresholds in place that can help parties not lose money, and even gain momentum (not that kind) even if they rank stone last with enough votes. I would always encourage people to use a vote on a party, or rather constituent, they agree with, regardless of their chances of a victory as it could at very least allow them to recuperate funds and use them to grow in the long term
[Post edited 26 Sep 2019 17:25]

Crybaby

Political discussion as a standard on 17:31 - Sep 26 with 1180 viewsGlasgowBlue

Political discussion as a standard on 17:21 - Sep 26 by J2BLUE

But surely if a majority of people voted Lib Dem or Green then they would have a majority in Parliament so it wouldn’t be wasted? I wonder how many million people think a vote to either of those two is wasted? Could be enough to make a real change.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Political discussion as a standard on 17:32 - Sep 26 with 1176 viewsJ2BLUE

Political discussion as a standard on 17:24 - Sep 26 by wkj

Your last point is one I would like to focus on. A vote is far from wasted in many ways. There are votes thresholds in place that can help parties not lose money, and even gain momentum (not that kind) even if they rank stone last with enough votes. I would always encourage people to use a vote on a party, or rather constituent, they agree with, regardless of their chances of a victory as it could at very least allow them to recuperate funds and use them to grow in the long term
[Post edited 26 Sep 2019 17:25]

To be honest, I don't think there is a party for me. I don't want to vote for any of them and consider not voting to be superior to voting for the sake of it.

Truly impaired.

Political discussion as a standard on 17:33 - Sep 26 with 1170 viewsJ2BLUE

Political discussion as a standard on 17:31 - Sep 26 by GlasgowBlue

But surely if a majority of people voted Lib Dem or Green then they would have a majority in Parliament so it wouldn’t be wasted? I wonder how many million people think a vote to either of those two is wasted? Could be enough to make a real change.

No desire to vote for either of those.

Truly impaired.

Political discussion as a standard on 17:33 - Sep 26 with 1169 viewswkj

Political discussion as a standard on 17:32 - Sep 26 by J2BLUE

To be honest, I don't think there is a party for me. I don't want to vote for any of them and consider not voting to be superior to voting for the sake of it.

You may have found the niche in politics the UK craves in that case, maybe the J2 party should form.

Crybaby

Political discussion as a standard on 17:34 - Sep 26 with 1162 viewsJ2BLUE

Political discussion as a standard on 17:33 - Sep 26 by wkj

You may have found the niche in politics the UK craves in that case, maybe the J2 party should form.

Doubt it. I would like to be an MP though.

Truly impaired.

Political discussion as a standard on 17:34 - Sep 26 with 1159 viewsGlasgowBlue

Political discussion as a standard on 17:32 - Sep 26 by J2BLUE

I feel your pain brother.

Our politics is broken part 27898767 by GlasgowBlue 9 Sep 2019 8:20
Over the weekend we’ve had Amber Rudd quit the Conservatives because it is morphing into the Brexit party. If the Tory party doesn’t have a home for Ken Clarke, Rory Stewart, Nicholas Soames or Amber Rudd but is in the thrall of the ERG then they may as well give the keys to Nigel Farage and be done with it.

Slipping slightly under the radar this weekend we also saw veteran Labour MP John Mann quit the Labour Party because of antisemitism, accusing Corbyn of not only being “an” enabler of antisemitism in the country but “the enabler.

https://twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/1170400379676307456?s=21

And momentum have deselected backbencher of the year, Diana Johnson, and believe it or not have started proceedings to deselect Kier Starmer of all people.

https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/status/1170406731773616133?s=21

And then we have both Jo Swinson and Layla Moran from the Lib Dem’s saying that they want a second referendum but if leave win agains they will ignore the result.

Who the hell is a centrist voter who respects democracy expected to vote for?

The politically homeless is a growing movement. All we need is Rory Stewart to lead us into the promised land.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Political discussion as a standard on 17:35 - Sep 26 with 1154 viewsfooters

Political discussion as a standard on 17:33 - Sep 26 by wkj

The "Very Strong Opinions But General Apathy" party? Reckon it'd poll well.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Political discussion as a standard on 17:35 - Sep 26 with 1153 viewsSpruceMoose

Political discussion as a standard on 17:33 - Sep 26 by J2BLUE

No desire to vote for either of those.

What policies would you like to see a party advancing?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Political discussion as a standard on 17:36 - Sep 26 with 1148 viewsfooters

Political discussion as a standard on 17:34 - Sep 26 by GlasgowBlue

Over the weekend we’ve had Amber Rudd quit the Conservatives because it is morphing into the Brexit party. If the Tory party doesn’t have a home for Ken Clarke, Rory Stewart, Nicholas Soames or Amber Rudd but is in the thrall of the ERG then they may as well give the keys to Nigel Farage and be done with it.

Slipping slightly under the radar this weekend we also saw veteran Labour MP John Mann quit the Labour Party because of antisemitism, accusing Corbyn of not only being “an” enabler of antisemitism in the country but “the enabler.

And momentum have deselected backbencher of the year, Diana Johnson, and believe it or not have started proceedings to deselect Kier Starmer of all people.

And then we have both Jo Swinson and Layla Moran from the Lib Dem’s saying that they want a second referendum but if leave win agains they will ignore the result.

The politically homeless is a growing movement. All we need is Rory Stewart to lead us into the promised land.

You're not politically homeless, you're a Tory, silly goose :)

Political discussion as a standard on 17:36 - Sep 26 with 1148 viewswkj

My political obligations have to back Ian Blackford in this scenario, but I find both he and Rory Stewart have been generally quite dignified over recent weeks.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2019 17:38]

Crybaby

Political discussion as a standard on 17:37 - Sep 26 with 1139 viewsSpruceMoose

Rory Stewart is a Tory. I doubt the promised land is going to be populated by Conservatives. Or if it is, it won't be a promised land for all.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Political discussion as a standard on 17:37 - Sep 26 with 1139 viewswkj

Political discussion as a standard on 17:34 - Sep 26 by J2BLUE

Doubt it. I would like to be an MP though.

I would quite like to see someone like daveU in the role of speaker of the house.

Crybaby

Political discussion as a standard on 17:37 - Sep 26 with 1135 viewshampstead_blue

sometimes the ping-pong is light hearted and I know I can be rather brash via a keyboard

I don't think there isn't any ill will on the board. Lot's of raised eyebrows I am sure

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Political discussion as a standard on 17:38 - Sep 26 with 1129 viewsGlasgowBlue

Political discussion as a standard on 17:36 - Sep 26 by wkj

My political obligations have to back Ian Blackford in this scenario, but I find both he and Rory Stewart have been generally quite dignified over recent weeks.

Ian Blackford has been the real leader of the opposition in the HOC for a while now. Very impressive but he’s a nationalist.

Iron Lion Zion

Political discussion as a standard on 17:38 - Sep 26 with 1123 viewskinnockers

Political discussion as a standard on 17:37 - Sep 26 by hampstead_blue

sometimes the ping-pong is light hearted and I know I can be rather brash via a keyboard

I don't think there isn't any ill will on the board. Lot's of raised eyebrows I am sure

Couldn't agree more.

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

Political discussion as a standard on 17:38 - Sep 26 with 1121 viewsJ2BLUE

Political discussion as a standard on 17:35 - Sep 26 by footers

The "Very Strong Opinions But General Apathy" party? Reckon it'd poll well.

General apathy? What should I be doing?

Truly impaired.

Political discussion as a standard on 17:40 - Sep 26 with 1118 viewswkj

Political discussion as a standard on 17:38 - Sep 26 by GlasgowBlue

Ian Blackford has been the real leader of the opposition in the HOC for a while now. Very impressive but he’s a nationalist.

It is quite staggering how the England nationalist party and the Scottish nationalist party differ in their tone and mission statement though. Nationalism doesn't have to be inherently bad, but it very difficult to do proactively.

Although is is important to highlight that the SNP stands for Scottish National Party, and not Scottish Nationalists Party.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2019 17:42]

Crybaby

Political discussion as a standard on 17:40 - Sep 26 with 1113 viewswkj

Political discussion as a standard on 17:38 - Sep 26 by J2BLUE

Wasn't General Apathy a character in Del's Army?

Crybaby

Political discussion as a standard on 17:42 - Sep 26 with 1106 viewsGlasgowBlue

Political discussion as a standard on 17:40 - Sep 26 by wkj

It is quite staggering how the England nationalist party and the Scottish nationalist party differ in their tone and mission statement though. Nationalism doesn't have to be inherently bad, but it very difficult to do proactively.

Although is is important to highlight that the SNP stands for Scottish National Party, and not Scottish Nationalists Party.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2019 17:42]

You haven’t come into contact with the cyber nats. They are vicious bastards. Underneath that veneer of respectability the Scot nats foot soldiers can be very unpleasant to those who want to remain part of the Union.

Iron Lion Zion

Political discussion as a standard on 17:42 - Sep 26 with 1105 viewsfooters

Taking part in your democracy. You can do that in many ways, Eggers. It's not just about putting a bit of paper in a box when someone asks you to.

Political discussion as a standard on 17:43 - Sep 26 with 1093 viewsJ2BLUE

Political discussion as a standard on 17:42 - Sep 26 by footers

Taking part in your democracy. You can do that in many ways, Eggers. It's not just about putting a bit of paper in a box when someone asks you to.

What do you do?

Truly impaired.

Political discussion as a standard on 17:43 - Sep 26 with 1093 viewswkj

Political discussion as a standard on 17:42 - Sep 26 by GlasgowBlue

You haven’t come into contact with the cyber nats. They are vicious bastards. Underneath that veneer of respectability the Scot nats foot soldiers can be very unpleasant to those who want to remain part of the Union.

I have not, that certainly isn't something conveyed on the members website, I must admit.

Crybaby

Political discussion as a standard on 17:44 - Sep 26 with 1083 viewsSpruceMoose

Well that depends. If you tell us what policies would you like to see a party advancing, then we may be able to make some suggestions. What are you looking for that you feel is lacking?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024