Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Preview Feature 13:19 - Jun 28 with 5792 viewsDanielMcCallum27

Hi

I’m features editor at the Sunderland fanzine A love Supreme and its website www.a-love-supreme.com

We are doing a feature previewing all the teams in League One next season and was wondering if you could answer the following questions please?

Thanks in advance

What was the story of your season last year? Highs and lows…

Who’s your best player, ones to watch etc?

How do you think you’ll do against us next season?

How will you do overall next season?
Preview Feature on 13:32 - Jun 28 with 4150 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Story of the season: Successful but boring long term manager replaced by pint sized pound shop Roy Keane, who proceeds to sell all of the family silver and replace them with lower league punts. Unsurprisingly fails miserably, gets sacked and replaced by Paul Lambert who for while gets even worse results, but is strangely given a complete pass by sections of the fanbase because he says some lovely things about them, and was definitely building for the long term by bringing in 6 short term signings in January. Relegated as one of the worst Championship clubs in history

Highs: Joking right? Lambert getting sent off live on telly in the derby having said he knew how to handle the reception he’d get was pretty funny I guess. Oh wait no it was ridiculous and we got whacked 3-0

Lows: The entire f*cking season

Best player: Hopefully Norwood will be a revelation and continue his form from League Two. Of the current players if he can stay fit Teddy Bishop was showing flashes of getting back to his best last season

Vs Sunderland: Honestly no idea, but I expect you’ll be one of the top two if that helps

How will we do: I think we’ll start slowly and hover around mid table for a bit before getting things together and finishing in the playoffs, and then losing in the semis

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Preview Feature on 13:54 - Jun 28 with 4094 viewsITFC_Forever

Highs: NA, other than a hilarious, if ultimately meaningless, defeat of Leeds in the last game of the season.

Lows: Pretty much everything else. An unmitigated disaster.

A lot of promising youngsters, plus the experience of the likes of Judge will hopefully see us moving back in the right direction.

Lose. Could have done without playing you so early in the season while we're still finding our feet.

Anything less than being in the thick of the PO battle at least will be extremely underwhelming and the fans will be revolting.
As someone said on here the other day, we have to shake off the losing mentality that has gripped the club for far too long and especially in the last 18 months or so.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2019 14:35]

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Preview Feature on 14:03 - Jun 28 with 4067 viewsLankHenners

Story of the season - Paul Hurst looks out of his depth from an early stage but ploughs ahead selling our top scorer of last season and biggest attacking threat Martyn Waghorn among others, replaces them with unproven lower league players, chucks them into an ever-changing XI with no apparent thought on tactics or even formation, loses most games apart from the flukiest of flukes wins before finally getting the sack for being sh1t and allegedly a complete d1ckhead behind closed doors. Paul Lambert comes in and whilst the team looks more energetic initially it still loses most games, including a few where it was in relative control before throwing them away. Lambert flexes his PR muscles which keep more people happy than they should have done (and also has the opposite effect in some cases of making people react very angrily to anyone not being intensely negative about him which makes a lot of people look very stupid and they get even more angry when you point this out to them) but continues to struggle to find a winning formula. A brief upturn in form just after the New Year fizzles out and the final day win against Leeds is a bizarre footnote to end the worst season in the club’s history. Worth noting the biggest factor in Hurst (initially) and Lambert being a hit with sections of the fan base is that they’re names aren’t ‘Mick McCarthy’. So if nothing else at least the ‘I'd rather get relegated than be managed by McCarthy’ brigade are happy, probably, the divs.

Highs - a serious answer would probably have to be Teddy Bishop getting back up to speed after a horrid time out injured. Other than that, I dunno, Janoi Donacien going back on loan to the club we bought him off was pretty funny

Lows - the first paragraph above, obviously, with so many dire games but the loss against Millwall at home where we looked in a rare position of comfort 1-0 up at ht before throwing the game completely in the 2nd half to lose 3-2 was a guy pinch for many that we were definitely going down (though it had looked pretty likely for most of the season up to that point, which was only half way through).

Best player/one to watch - lots of expectation on James Norwood’s shoulders as he’ll go into the season as the main man but looks like he could live up to the title. Alan Judge should be too good for league 1 but it depends on Lambert getting the best out of him rather than shunting him out wide where he is less effective. Some good young players to look out for, Bishop and Flynn Downes the two most likely to have the biggest impact in terms of making themselves regular starters. Likes of Andre Dozzell, Myles Kenlock, Jack Lankester, Luke Woolfenden, Josh Emmanuel and Idris El Mizouni not far behind.

Against you? Probably fairly evenly matched in what should be a battle for the spots at the top end of the division.

Overall? Need a fast start and if we get it could stay in the top 6 all season. Anything less than a playoff finish would be seen as a disappointment, but we’ll probably lose in them so top 2 would be better.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2019 14:37]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Preview Feature on 14:06 - Jun 28 with 4054 viewsSteve_M

There's not much point anyone else answering given the comprehensive nature of the first three responses here.

Just to add that our season will probably be defined by whether Lambert can build a coherent team, there were some positive signs when he took over but the failure to win enough matches saw it all fall apart. It's about 50/50 on that one for me.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Preview Feature on 14:10 - Jun 28 with 4038 viewsgroovyASH

High: whatever was the tallest stand the accommodate away fans.

Lows: other than finishing below Bolton and being trolled by Mick McCarthy?
Other than appointing Paul Hurst and spanking cash on league 1 and 2 players who remain league 1 and 2 players?
Other than appointing a manager to firefighter us to safety who failed to even get us in with a fighting chance?
Well, you get the picture.

Best player:
Hmm, ask us in August. Nobody who was a regular last season.

Vs Sunderland:
You've got 12 months acclimatisation on us and I would wager better financial backing, so expect you will finish above us.

We need to be finishing in the top 6

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Preview Feature on 14:12 - Jun 28 with 4027 viewsDeano69

Preview Feature on 13:32 - Jun 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Story of the season: Successful but boring long term manager replaced by pint sized pound shop Roy Keane, who proceeds to sell all of the family silver and replace them with lower league punts. Unsurprisingly fails miserably, gets sacked and replaced by Paul Lambert who for while gets even worse results, but is strangely given a complete pass by sections of the fanbase because he says some lovely things about them, and was definitely building for the long term by bringing in 6 short term signings in January. Relegated as one of the worst Championship clubs in history

Highs: Joking right? Lambert getting sent off live on telly in the derby having said he knew how to handle the reception he’d get was pretty funny I guess. Oh wait no it was ridiculous and we got whacked 3-0

Best player: Hopefully Norwood will be a revelation and continue his form from League Two. Of the current players if he can stay fit Teddy Bishop was showing flashes of getting back to his best last season

Vs Sunderland: Honestly no idea, but I expect you’ll be one of the top two if that helps

How will we do: I think we’ll start slowly and hover around mid table for a bit before getting things together and finishing in the playoffs, and then losing in the semis

How I want to disagree with all that, but cant, pretty much it.

The only thing I can add is that despite all the losses and disappointment, i enjoyed Portman Road more with Lambert than anytime in the past 10 years. No idea why, more then fans than the club, players or manager i suspect.

Also hope Lankester has a great season

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Preview Feature on 14:14 - Jun 28 with 4021 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Last season began with optimism that 18 months of Mick McCarthy dross was finally over, but the right decision to part company with the former Sunderland manager was followed by the wrong decision on his replacement.

Paul Hurst was a choice that most seemed happy with, however it was quite clear that he was quickly out of his depth and had massively underestimated the gulf between the Championship and the lower leagues.

The result of Hurst replacing quality Championship players with almost an entire team of lower league signings was the inevitable relegation that we had threatened to succumb to following years of underinvestment that McCarthy's dull, negative, 'I'll take a point' attitude had just about kept at bay.

The high point in an utterly embarrassing season was the strange way in which many of the fans fell back in love with the club. Some of the support from the fans, in the face of arguably our worst season ever, was stupendous and defied all logic and reason.

___

On paper you would imagine that Alan Judge is the star player amongst the current squad, a Republic of Ireland international who should be nowhere near League One. As it stands, the same could be said of keeper Bartosz Bialkowski, whose recent move to Millwall has broken down. He was player of the year three seasons running before a poor campaign last year following his return from the Polish World Cup squad.

Teddy Bishop is a ludicrous talent on that level assuming he can stay fit. Youngster Jack Lankester looked like he could be the next big thing and 18 year old Tunisian Idris El Mizouni made his debut at the end of last season, just before winning a full cap for his country.

___

I wouldn't be at all surprised if both Ipswich and Sunderland make up two of the four or five chasing automatic promotion next year. Ipswich will likely be the Barnsley of last season or the Rotherham of the year before. I expect Rotherham, Portsmouth and Peterborough to be the main clubs threatening to exit the division the right way.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Preview Feature on 14:36 - Jun 28 with 3920 viewspointofblue

Highs: Falling back into the club and attending Portman Road again despite everything that was happening on the pitch. Plus beating Leeds on final day.

Lows: How long have you got? Norwich beating us 3-0 despite not leaving second gear says it all.

Best Player/One to Watch: The likes of Teddy Bishop and Alan Judge, providing they remain and stay fit, should put on a show at League One level. Gwion Edwards and Jon Nolan are also proven at this level.

Against Sunderland: At least four points would leave me happy; I'm expecting a maximum of two.

Overall: We have to make the top six at the very least; no excuses and Lambert's support will not last for long if we have a slow start.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Preview Feature on 14:52 - Jun 28 with 3872 viewsGarv

Lows:
- Losing Waghorn
- Not beating Norwich at home as we should have done.
- QPR at home 0-2- dreadful
- Bristol City at home 2-3, having been 2-1 up.

Highs:
- Swansea away - 2-3
- Dozzell goal against Leeds on the last day
- Beating Leeds
- Brief upturn in performances and good quality of football on show around March, sadly only bringing about a bunch of 1-1 draws.
- Signing Judge

Best: Judge
To watch: Bishop, Lankester

No idea

Genuinely feel we will struggle with a big hangover from a terrible season. Fairly young squad with not much experience of winning games. Mid table wouldn't surprise me. Hope I'm very wrong.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Well, yes. This. (n/t) on 14:53 - Jun 28 with 3859 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Preview Feature on 15:10 - Jun 28 with 3800 viewsIllinoisblue

VERY valid points on Lambert. Despite inheriting a load of rubbish and having no money to spend, his results were shocking. And yet here we are, everyone's seemingly in love with the club again. "It's no normal"

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Preview Feature on 15:17 - Jun 28 with 3775 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Preview Feature on 15:10 - Jun 28 by Illinoisblue

VERY valid points on Lambert. Despite inheriting a load of rubbish and having no money to spend, his results were shocking. And yet here we are, everyone's seemingly in love with the club again. "It's no normal"

Perhaps it's because some people actually understand football.

Lambert inherited a League One squad, bereft of confidence at the foot of the table.

He didn't inherit a mid-table side on talent that had been playing badly and just needed some organisation. We were nowhere near good enough. Explain how the manager can then magically get players not up to it, to suddenly become decent? Any manager with that much talent wouldn't be joining a team heading into League One.

We were also likely to go down and likely to lose £9m. So again, it really would have been stupid to expect players who could make a difference to join us. What player good enough to be at a decent Championship club (and therefore better than what we had) would sign a contract and take a 50% wage cut after 6 months in all likeliness. Unless people think we'd offer them a deal without that clause and then end up shafted upon relegation.

Lambert had his hands largely tied. The failure to perform that much better or get much better results was set in motion by Hurst. You cannot expect players who have never played at this level before, who then have no confidence, to be great overnight because a new manager has arrived.

Most people are sensible enough to see Lambert now has a very good League One squad with which he should be able to achieve promotion. Failure to do so will see him gone. He has no excuses now.

But he had every excuse last year.

Preview Feature on 15:21 - Jun 28 with 3762 viewsMeadowlark

A lot of catharthis on here this afternoon.....
Preview Feature on 15:26 - Jun 28 with 3740 viewsIllinoisblue

Preview Feature on 15:17 - Jun 28 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Lambert inherited a League One squad, bereft of confidence at the foot of the table.

He didn't inherit a mid-table side on talent that had been playing badly and just needed some organisation. We were nowhere near good enough. Explain how the manager can then magically get players not up to it, to suddenly become decent? Any manager with that much talent wouldn't be joining a team heading into League One.

We were also likely to go down and likely to lose £9m. So again, it really would have been stupid to expect players who could make a difference to join us. What player good enough to be at a decent Championship club (and therefore better than what we had) would sign a contract and take a 50% wage cut after 6 months in all likeliness. Unless people think we'd offer them a deal without that clause and then end up shafted upon relegation.

Lambert had his hands largely tied. The failure to perform that much better or get much better results was set in motion by Hurst. You cannot expect players who have never played at this level before, who then have no confidence, to be great overnight because a new manager has arrived.

Most people are sensible enough to see Lambert now has a very good League One squad with which he should be able to achieve promotion. Failure to do so will see him gone. He has no excuses now.

remarkably generous assessment of a manager who managed 4 wins in 32 games.

62 - 78 - 81

Preview Feature on 15:29 - Jun 28 with 3718 viewsLankHenners

He had some mitigating circumstances due to inheriting an absolute mess but they pretty much went out the window as we continued to have very poor results and ending up finishing dead last without so much as a whimper. He was brought in to keep us up, failed, and now has to have a great season or he’s in trouble.

The biggest reason people aren’t more against him of course is that, like the guy he replaced, his name isn’t ‘Mick McCarthy’.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Preview Feature on 15:34 - Jun 28 with 3695 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Preview Feature on 15:26 - Jun 28 by Illinoisblue

remarkably generous assessment of a manager who managed 4 wins in 32 games.

How many wins do you think Mick McCarthy would have managed with that squad?

Mick won something like 4 of his last 22 games didn't he? And he had Webster, Waghorn, McGoldrick, Celina, Garner and so on at this disposal.

Nobody is disputing Lambert didn't win many games. But perhaps the squad he inherited was only good enough to win 4 games in that time!

EDIT - Lambert got 17 points from the last 72 available at the end of last season, at the point in which he'd had time to make the team his own (24 matches).

We got 22 points from the last 72 available under McCarthy. That's only slightly better and McCarthy did so with a much more talented squad, who prior to that were in and around the playoffs rather than rock bottom.

So on that basis Lambert has done no worse a job once he got his feet under the table than McCarthy had done before he left, when many would say in hindsight we should have kept him.

If McCarthy only got 22 points with the squad we had, would he really have managed 17 points with Hurst's rabble? I don't think he would.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2019 15:39]

Preview Feature on 15:36 - Jun 28 with 3676 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Pretty much utter rubbish from start to finish (some achievement given the length of the post) but to highlight a couple of choice points

‘Players that have never played at this level before’ - Bialkowski, Knudsen, Chambers, Pennington, Skuse, Bishop, Downes, Dozzell and Sears all played over 20 games for us last season. Gerken, Spence, Kenlock, Judge and Quaner fell just short. All had experience at this level - considerable amounts in most cases

‘Stupid to expect players to join’ - and yet we signed 7 players. They were largely cr*p. 4 were on loan, so the point about a wage cut is meaningless as we wouldn’t be paying their wages next season

‘To be great overnight’ - the usual response whenever anyone dares criticise our beloved Paul. Except no one was expecting us to be great, marginally better than under Hurst and putting up a bit of a fight would have been nice though

Every excuse indeed, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t total cr*p here last year too - that he needs to deliver this season is the only thing you go right

Preview Feature on 15:38 - Jun 28 with 3666 viewsIllinoisblue

Preview Feature on 15:34 - Jun 28 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Mick won something like 4 of his last 22 games didn't he? And he had Webster, Waghorn, McGoldrick, Celina, Garner and so on at this disposal.

Nobody is disputing Lambert didn't win many games. But perhaps the squad he inherited was only good enough to win 4 games in that time!

EDIT - Lambert got 17 points from the last 72 available at the end of last season, at the point in which he'd had time to make the team his own (24 matches).

We got 22 points from the last 72 available under McCarthy. That's only slightly better and McCarthy did so with a much more talented squad, who prior to that were in and around the playoffs rather than rock bottom.

So on that basis Lambert has done no worse a job once he got his feet under the table than McCarthy had done before he left, when many would say in hindsight we should have kept him.

If McCarthy only got 22 points with the squad we had, would he really have managed 17 points with Hurst's rabble? I don't think he would.

Mick would probably have kept us up while boring us all to death. Anyway, as you mentioned, this is now a big no-excuses season coming up for Lambert.

62 - 78 - 81

Preview Feature on 15:39 - Jun 28 with 3657 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Preview Feature on 15:34 - Jun 28 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Having seen Mick McCarthy take over one floundering, adrift Ipswich side and drag them up the table, I’d be willing to bet my car, house and life savings that he would have achieved more than 4 wins in Lambert’s shoes

Preview Feature on 15:41 - Jun 28 with 3645 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Preview Feature on 15:36 - Jun 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Pretty much utter rubbish from start to finish (some achievement given the length of the post) but to highlight a couple of choice points

‘Players that have never played at this level before’ - Bialkowski, Knudsen, Chambers, Pennington, Skuse, Bishop, Downes, Dozzell and Sears all played over 20 games for us last season. Gerken, Spence, Kenlock, Judge and Quaner fell just short. All had experience at this level - considerable amounts in most cases

‘Stupid to expect players to join’ - and yet we signed 7 players. They were largely cr*p. 4 were on loan, so the point about a wage cut is meaningless as we wouldn’t be paying their wages next season

‘To be great overnight’ - the usual response whenever anyone dares criticise our beloved Paul. Except no one was expecting us to be great, marginally better than under Hurst and putting up a bit of a fight would have been nice though

Every excuse indeed, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t total cr*p here last year too - that he needs to deliver this season is the only thing you go right

I see you conveniently changed what I said 'Stupid to expect players who could make a difference to join us' to just players joining us.

Sums up your reply.

Of course we signed players. But the entire point was we needed quality like Webster, McGoldrick and Waghorn to sign to replace what we'd lost and those players are not joining the bottom team and accepting an imminent wage cut when they can join plenty of teams staying up.

Preview Feature on 15:44 - Jun 28 with 3623 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Preview Feature on 15:36 - Jun 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Why don't you take a look at the stats below then.

I've given Lambert 8 games to get his feet under the table. After that he took 17 points from 24 games.

McCarthy prior to leaving took 22 points from 24 games. Only just better with a hell of a better squad and without the confidence loss that being bottom brings.

I don't love Lambert. I am simply going to judge him from this season. To judge him last season is ridiculous. The bloke turned up at an earthquake with a dustpan and brush. What was he supposed to do?

Preview Feature on 15:44 - Jun 28 with 3626 viewsSteve_M

Preview Feature on 15:10 - Jun 28 by Illinoisblue

There remain an awful lot of people looking to retrospectively justify their views on McCarthy still I think.

re: Lambert, Burley in the second half of 1994-95 remains a valid comparison. Despite a couple of excellent early results we didn't improve and crashed out of the FA Cup to a side three divisions below and experienced one of the worst results in our history.

Burley didn't do a good job then, and nor did Lambert last season, but I think it is still possible that Lambert can redeem that next season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Preview Feature on 15:46 - Jun 28 with 3610 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Preview Feature on 15:41 - Jun 28 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I see you conveniently changed what I said 'Stupid to expect players who could make a difference to join us' to just players joining us.

Sums up your reply.

Of course we signed players. But the entire point was we needed quality like Webster, McGoldrick and Waghorn to sign to replace what we'd lost and those players are not joining the bottom team and accepting an imminent wage cut when they can join plenty of teams staying up.

I was paraphrasing not copying word for word

The point remains though - clearly Lambert thought they could make a difference, otherwise why sign them? Fact is that pretty much all of them were a failure

Preview Feature on 15:48 - Jun 28 with 3599 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Preview Feature on 15:39 - Jun 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Having seen Mick McCarthy take over one floundering, adrift Ipswich side and drag them up the table, I’d be willing to bet my car, house and life savings that he would have achieved more than 4 wins in Lambert’s shoes

Do you even remember the team McCarthy took over?

Ipswich: Henderson, Edwards, Higginbotham, Chambers, Cresswell, Martin, N'Daw, Reo-Coker, Wellens, Campbell, Murphy.

Look at that team.

Now the team Lambert started with.

Bialkowski, Spence, Chambers, Pennington, Knudsen, Skuse, Chalobah, Downes, Edwards, Roberts, Sears.

Do amuse me by picking your best XI from that lot. I'd be fascinated to see how many of last seasons team make it.

In mine Bart doesn't even get in ahead of Henderson because of his form last season and I'd replace Martin with Chalobah at a push.

That just shows you how much better the team Mick inherited was.

Preview Feature on 15:49 - Jun 28 with 3595 viewsMaySixth

We are sh*t

Will finish 16th.

Is your owner David Brent?

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024