Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Murray has done rather well 00:05 - Jun 23 with 4396 viewsStokieBlue

I know a lot of people aren't keen on him, something I never really understood but getting to the final of the doubles with a metal hip, when you haven't played for 5 months is rather impressive.

The pairing they beat today have been world number ones and after a few games Murray was reading the serve and bashing winning returns off 130mph serves. Certainly not something they were used to.

I don't expect he will ever get back to what he was with an artificial hip but he was and remains a wonderful player. The difference between the old "top 4" and everyone else is massive. We might not ever see another generation like that.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Murray has done rather well on 00:24 - Jun 23 with 4365 viewsJ2BLUE

Pleased for him that he has managed to come back. I hope he finds his mixed doubles partner for Wimbledon.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Murray has done rather well on 00:38 - Jun 23 with 4353 viewsStokieBlue

Murray has done rather well on 00:24 - Jun 23 by J2BLUE

Pleased for him that he has managed to come back. I hope he finds his mixed doubles partner for Wimbledon.

Won't be a problem. Now everyone can see he's fine to play he won't have many turning him down.

Not often you get to play with a 3 time grand slam winner and 9 time finalist who was world number 1 when Nadal, Federer and Djokovic were playing.

From the BBC:

"After revealing in his BBC Sport column that French Open champion Ashleigh Barty had turned him down, many players took to Twitter to offer to play with Murray."

He's a leg-end.

SB

Edit: Apparently Maria Sharapova wants to play with him but he said a few choice words about her drug ban so no idea if that will happen.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2019 0:49]

Murray has done rather well on 04:11 - Jun 23 with 4294 viewsclive_baker

Murray has done rather well on 00:24 - Jun 23 by J2BLUE

Hopefully not Robson. I blame her for his dodgy hip, having to carry her for so long.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Murray has done rather well on 08:50 - Jun 23 with 4159 viewswkj

I like him for the reasons why I see people disliking him. While many say, when he is in the game and in pressers he comes across as miserable but to me I see that as a focused professional being honest.

The man has lived a life of Tennis from a very early age and has taken the sport seriously, spoken up for equality, and genuinely seems to hold a lot of emotion for what he gets up to. I hope he manages to find a few more miles in his tank yet and gets to challenge in a fair number of singles tournaments before his career on the professional circuit ends.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Murray has done rather well on 08:58 - Jun 23 with 4142 viewsHerbivore

I'm a big fan of Murray. Genuinely passionate about the sport and seems to be universally well-liked by his peers, especially his female peers who respect the way he has defended and promoted them numerous times. He's done that totally naturally without grandstanding as well, usually politely correcting journalists when they forget about the achievements of women in the game. He's also quite funny as well at times, very dry sense of humour. Some of the reason he's a bit off with the press is because of stuff like them blowing his jokey "whoever is playing England" comment out of proportion, that really damaged his trust in the press.

His achievements as a player are superb. Stick him in any other era and he wins 7-10 Slams as a minimum imo. He was just unfortunate to be at his peak when Nadal, Federer and Djokovic were around. Those three could easily go down as the three greatest players of all time when they hang up their racquets. Murray has never quite been on their level, always just a fraction below. That still makes him a great, just a bit short of them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Murray has done rather well on 10:29 - Jun 23 with 4073 viewsBlueBadger

Murray has done rather well on 08:50 - Jun 23 by wkj

I like him for the reasons why I see people disliking him. While many say, when he is in the game and in pressers he comes across as miserable but to me I see that as a focused professional being honest.

The man has lived a life of Tennis from a very early age and has taken the sport seriously, spoken up for equality, and genuinely seems to hold a lot of emotion for what he gets up to. I hope he manages to find a few more miles in his tank yet and gets to challenge in a fair number of singles tournaments before his career on the professional circuit ends.

It's a bit like liking Paul Lambert over Mick McCarthy isn't it?

That's your ten-pager for the morning.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Murray has done rather well on 10:35 - Jun 23 with 4059 viewssundaze

Murray has done rather well on 10:29 - Jun 23 by BlueBadger

It's a bit like liking Paul Lambert over Mick McCarthy isn't it?

That's your ten-pager for the morning.

I doubt you will get ten pages out of it, you have milked it far too often for that.
Murray has done rather well on 10:39 - Jun 23 with 4055 viewsronnyd

Murray has done rather well on 00:38 - Jun 23 by StokieBlue

Won't be a problem. Now everyone can see he's fine to play he won't have many turning him down.

Not often you get to play with a 3 time grand slam winner and 9 time finalist who was world number 1 when Nadal, Federer and Djokovic were playing.

From the BBC:

"After revealing in his BBC Sport column that French Open champion Ashleigh Barty had turned him down, many players took to Twitter to offer to play with Murray."

He's a leg-end.

SB

Edit: Apparently Maria Sharapova wants to play with him but he said a few choice words about her drug ban so no idea if that will happen.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2019 0:49]

Sharapova? can,t stand her incessant grunting on every stroke.
Login to get fewer ads

Murray has done rather well on 10:40 - Jun 23 with 4053 viewsBlueBadger

Murray has done rather well on 10:35 - Jun 23 by sundaze

I doubt you will get ten pages out of it, you have milked it far too often for that.

You may be underestimating how fragile some are when we mention the only competent manager that Marcus Evans has appointed though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Murray has done rather well on 10:47 - Jun 23 with 4050 viewsHolyGoalie

Murray has done rather well on 08:50 - Jun 23 by wkj

Sorry kid - hes a miserable jock. Had Scotland voted to be traitors of the union then you can bet he would be all smiles and laughs, probably wouldn't have feigned retirement because his hip was a bit sore. Disgrace to the UK and to the sport.

Ipswich by the grace of gloves

Murray has done rather well on 10:55 - Jun 23 with 4035 viewswkj

Murray has done rather well on 10:47 - Jun 23 by HolyGoalie

Sorry kid - hes a miserable jock. Had Scotland voted to be traitors of the union then you can bet he would be all smiles and laughs, probably wouldn't have feigned retirement because his hip was a bit sore. Disgrace to the UK and to the sport.

You're a dick, don't bother replying - I wont see it.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Murray has done rather well on 10:59 - Jun 23 with 4023 viewsBlueBadger

Snowflake ahoy!

Murray has done rather well on 11:10 - Jun 23 with 4010 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I genuinely think this;

tennis fans like Murray.

casual observers are split.

I like him, mainly because he's been so bloody good, and has done that in an very competitive era.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Murray has done rather well on 11:32 - Jun 23 with 3990 viewsSwansea_Blue

One of our best tennis players ever, and people don’t like him because he’s a bit dour in interviews and/or because his mum is fiercely loyal and protective.

Says more about ‘people’ than Murray imo.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Murray has done rather well on 11:57 - Jun 23 with 3968 viewsblueislander

Murray has done rather well on 11:32 - Jun 23 by Swansea_Blue

One of our best tennis players ever, and people don’t like him because he’s a bit dour in interviews and/or because his mum is fiercely loyal and protective.

Says more about ‘people’ than Murray imo.

Arguably our very best ever male. The only comparative would be Fred Perry, but the game has changed so much these comparisons are not worth much.
Murray has done rather well on 19:42 - Jun 23 with 3860 viewsStokieBlue

Congrats to Murray - Lopez played a blinder as well this week but that's an insane achievement. Not to play for 5 months then rock up with a metal hip and win the doubles is quite remarkable.

Let's hope after doubles for the rest of the year we see a fit Murray back in the singles next year. He's incredibly well liked on tour and I think generally except for the occasional moron who can't take a joke.

SB

Murray has done rather well on 19:44 - Jun 23 with 3855 viewsStokieBlue

Murray has done rather well on 11:57 - Jun 23 by blueislander

Arguably our very best ever male. The only comparative would be Fred Perry, but the game has changed so much these comparisons are not worth much.

I think our best player regardless of sex.

SB

Murray has done rather well on 19:45 - Jun 23 with 3851 viewsStokieBlue

This account did actually start out a little amusing.

It's crap now though as I am sure you know. It must hurt inside when you look at the poorness of your trolling.

SB
[Post edited 23 Jun 2019 19:46]

Murray has done rather well on 20:59 - Jun 23 with 3793 viewsEwan_Oozami

I think Murray has been a fantastic tennis player, a great ambassador for the sport I think he'll only really get credit for what he's done after he retires.

Considering he was also at the school in Dunblane when Thomas Hamilton killed 16 children and a teacher I think I can forgive him for seeming a bit dour at times!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Murray has done rather well on 22:04 - Jun 23 with 3726 viewsBlueForYou

His commitment & level of play in Davis Cup alone makes him a legend!
Murray has done rather well on 09:26 - Jun 24 with 3601 viewsSwansea_Blue

Murray has done rather well on 11:57 - Jun 23 by blueislander

I would argue against that. I was thinking about Fred Perry and Virginia Wade as the only people who could challenge for the title of Britain's best. I've no idea how they'd compare and as you say we're talking about very different eras. Not that it matters - Murray is an exceptional tennis player, rightly at the top of the men's game for some time.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 9:26]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Murray has done rather well on 09:41 - Jun 24 with 3583 viewschicoazul

"people aren't keen on him"

It's simple; Tennis is Tory.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024