Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wow.....just wow 20:41 - Mar 24 with 4153 viewsgtsb

Blue planet on the BBC have just said the world kills 100 million....let that sink in.... Sharks every year. That makes me sad, really sad.
Wow.....just wow on 20:43 - Mar 24 with 4118 viewsPecker

We are total bas*ards to our seas and oceans.
Wow.....just wow on 20:44 - Mar 24 with 4109 viewsgtsb

Wow.....just wow on 20:43 - Mar 24 by Pecker

We certainly are. I hate the way the human race destroys the planet.
Wow.....just wow on 20:46 - Mar 24 with 4101 viewsBlueBadger

I blame you for making Feargal sail all the way to an imaginary bar in South Africa.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Wow.....just wow on 20:46 - Mar 24 with 4101 viewsclive_baker

Yep.

To be fair, the UK is pretty advanced when it comes to sustainable recycling of plastics, but it won't mean sh1t until China pulls its fingers out of it's a**e.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Wow.....just wow on 20:47 - Mar 24 with 4089 viewsgtsb

Wow.....just wow on 20:46 - Mar 24 by clive_baker

Yep.

To be fair, the UK is pretty advanced when it comes to sustainable recycling of plastics, but it won't mean sh1t until China pulls its fingers out of it's a**e.

That is what saddens me more than anything. We all need to be onboard.
Wow.....just wow on 20:49 - Mar 24 with 4075 viewsPecker

Wow.....just wow on 20:47 - Mar 24 by gtsb

That is what saddens me more than anything. We all need to be onboard.

I take it you don't mean Fergals.
Wow.....just wow on 20:57 - Mar 24 with 4046 viewsXYZ

if only we were part of a group of similar thinking countries we could have enough global clout to make a difference whilst there's still time*.

* Yes, I know, but it's what I have to tell my kids.
Wow.....just wow on 21:06 - Mar 24 with 4008 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

#fakenews

Just kidding guys!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Wow.....just wow on 21:09 - Mar 24 with 3995 viewshomer_123

That sentence has 5 too many words at the end.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Wow.....just wow on 21:09 - Mar 24 with 3996 viewsBloomBlue

What we're doing to the seas is terrible especially fish stocks and the worst offender is the EU. Throughout European waters the EU have allowed the waters to be plundered, with no control. European waters now has some of the lowest fish stocks of anywhere in the world. Iceland never joined the EU because they didn't trust the EU wouldn't destroy the fish stocks in Iceland waters and Iceland's fish levels are some of the best in the world.
Wow.....just wow on 21:11 - Mar 24 with 3986 viewsgtsb

Wow.....just wow on 21:09 - Mar 24 by BloomBlue

What we're doing to the seas is terrible especially fish stocks and the worst offender is the EU. Throughout European waters the EU have allowed the waters to be plundered, with no control. European waters now has some of the lowest fish stocks of anywhere in the world. Iceland never joined the EU because they didn't trust the EU wouldn't destroy the fish stocks in Iceland waters and Iceland's fish levels are some of the best in the world.

And they don't swim in plastic.
Wow.....just wow on 23:52 - Mar 24 with 3815 viewswellhungphil

Yep.

Not sure how true this is. Isn't it the case now that several councils around the country are having to tip what should be recycling directly into landfill because China is no longer accepting the plastics from them?

I think the problem first and foremost is that too much plastic is being produced. Even something as small as a toothbrush, cotton buds (what?) COTTON BUDS FOR YOUR EARS I SAID, (ok, no need to shout, son) and various other what-nottery could be made out of wood instead.

I would certainly take your point about the UK not being the biggest offender, of course. I don't remember which massively populated country in Asia it was (possibly Indonesia) where the shores are littered with tons of plastic, and off the shores you have these giant plastic islands.

Quite horrific, and it's getting into the food chain of all sorts of animals (including humans), and doing a horrendous amount of damage.

There'll be no emergency until it's already too late, I fear.
Wow.....just wow on 06:35 - Mar 25 with 3677 viewsHong_Kong_Bluey

Indeed.......... If only Britain was an island nation who had control over their waters and fishing stock.............

tick tock............... 5, 4, 3, 2............
Wow.....just wow on 06:59 - Mar 25 with 3630 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Wow.....just wow on 23:52 - Mar 24 by wellhungphil

Not sure how true this is. Isn't it the case now that several councils around the country are having to tip what should be recycling directly into landfill because China is no longer accepting the plastics from them?

I think the problem first and foremost is that too much plastic is being produced. Even something as small as a toothbrush, cotton buds (what?) COTTON BUDS FOR YOUR EARS I SAID, (ok, no need to shout, son) and various other what-nottery could be made out of wood instead.

I would certainly take your point about the UK not being the biggest offender, of course. I don't remember which massively populated country in Asia it was (possibly Indonesia) where the shores are littered with tons of plastic, and off the shores you have these giant plastic islands.

Quite horrific, and it's getting into the food chain of all sorts of animals (including humans), and doing a horrendous amount of damage.

Indeed......rule Britannia....
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jul/23/uks-plastic-waste-may-be-dum

.... and the EU that sends half its plastic abroad....
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20181212STO21610/plastic
[Post edited 25 Mar 2019 7:00]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Wow.....just wow on 08:06 - Mar 25 with 3515 viewsBinner

Yep.

We don't so much 'deal with it' as send a lot of our waste materials, plastic, paper, metal etc, to China and elsewhere in Asia.

Another major problem is that, according to a recent item on Radio 4, the world uses 4 billion tyres per year and is only able to adequately dispose of a few of them

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Wow.....just wow on 12:19 - Mar 25 with 3362 viewsGuthrum

On a related topic: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/25/coal-more-expensive-wind-sol

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Wow.....just wow on 12:28 - Mar 25 with 3344 viewsButterbing

The world does it? That b#stard, I've been trying to save it.
Wow.....just wow on 12:28 - Mar 25 with 3343 viewsStokieBlue

It's incredibly bad.

What's even worse is the returning of the sharks fin-less to the ocean who then drown as they can't swim. If you are going to take the fins then take the rest of the animal as well - it's edible after all.

Shark fins drying on a roof in HK:

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Wow.....just wow on 12:29 - Mar 25 with 3341 viewsOldsmoker

I used to prefer sea-salt to ordinary salt - it's mined from underground in Cheshire - but apparently there's minute pieces of plastic in the sea-salt.
There's no plastic in the stuff dug out of the ground so I've switched to that.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Wow.....just wow on 12:50 - Mar 25 with 3305 viewsSwansea_Blue

Completely unfair on EU's CFP there - it's been instrumental in the recovery of some stock (North Sea Cod being certified as sustainable in 2017 being the most highly publicised one). We've strongly opposed quotas and we've strongly opposed the new EU discards policy too. It's far from perfect, but all the evidence suggests we'd plunder a lot more if not constrained by the CFP.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Wow.....just wow on 12:51 - Mar 25 with 3305 viewsRyorry

Wow.....just wow on 12:28 - Mar 25 by StokieBlue

It's incredibly bad.

What's even worse is the returning of the sharks fin-less to the ocean who then drown as they can't swim. If you are going to take the fins then take the rest of the animal as well - it's edible after all.

Shark fins drying on a roof in HK:

SB

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Wow.....just wow on 12:57 - Mar 25 with 3291 viewsRyorry

There's also at least one country in S. America which, according to one traveller's report, is dumping thousands of tons of plastic waste daily (a succession of large wagons) at the mouth of a major river, where there are mountains of the stuff. Probably happening elsewhere on that continent too.

Re the OP - anyone know how many sharks are actually born every year, either as a whole species or as different types of sharks? Ie is the population decreasing, stable, or even increasing?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Wow.....just wow on 12:59 - Mar 25 with 3286 viewspickles110564

Yep.

Dont we ship a lot of our plastics and rubbish to China and India for recycling? Don't think we are that good and advanced as they lead us to believe.
Wow.....just wow on 13:04 - Mar 25 with 3269 viewsfooters

Can't believe there's so much support for one of man's oldest and deadliest foes. We should be reveling in their dwindling numbers, not trying to save them

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024