Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Club Anthem 13:25 - Sep 5 with 6104 viewsSouperJim

Slight diversion from the Sweet Caroline thread, I agree that a club anthem should be both meaningful to the club and also organic rather than something the club have just decided to try. With that in mind, surely Castle on the Hill by Ed Sheeran would be a great candidate? It's a song about Suffolk, written by a famous Town fan and is already played at the ground on most Saturdays. Also the lyrics seem quite appropriate in places:-

Found my heart and broke it here
Made friends and lost them through the years
And I've not seen the roaring fields in so long, I know I've grown
But I can't wait to go home

I'm on my way
Driving at ninety down those country lanes
Singing to "Tiny Dancer"
And I miss the way you make me feel, it's real
We watched the sunset over the castle on the hill

Possibly change "over the castle on the hill" to "over the stands at Portman Road". Clearly not everyone is a fan of Ed but picking a modern song would at least be fairly original.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Club Anthem on 13:40 - Sep 5 with 5505 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

both are equally bad

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Club Anthem on 14:02 - Sep 5 with 5467 viewsfactual_blue

A song that encourages people to drive at fatal speeds along narrow country lanes should not be a 'club anthem'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Club Anthem on 14:06 - Sep 5 with 5457 viewshype313

Surely this would be more in keeping with tradition.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Club Anthem on 14:06 - Sep 5 with 5453 viewsWeirdFishes

I couldn't think of anything more embarrassing than forcing us to belt out Ed Sheeran before kick off.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Club Anthem on 14:21 - Sep 5 with 5417 viewsmonytowbray

Or people could bother to learn the words to EEJB.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Club Anthem on 14:48 - Sep 5 with 5390 viewsNo9

It is surprising considering all the musicians who have resided in the county over the years no Town anthem has been composed by any of them?
Club Anthem on 14:59 - Sep 5 with 5374 viewsBluedandy

Forget Ed Sheeran .... this is a must-have pre-match number .... Petula Clark is clearly a huge Town fan ..

Club Anthem on 15:31 - Sep 5 with 5327 viewsPJH

Club Anthem on 14:59 - Sep 5 by Bluedandy

Forget Ed Sheeran .... this is a must-have pre-match number .... Petula Clark is clearly a huge Town fan ..

Or with that title a Naarwich fan.
Login to get fewer ads

Club Anthem on 15:45 - Sep 5 with 5307 viewshoppy

Club Anthem on 14:06 - Sep 5 by WeirdFishes

I couldn't think of anything more embarrassing than forcing us to belt out Ed Sheeran before kick off.

How about if you just removed the word 'out' from your post? More takers?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Club Anthem on 15:46 - Sep 5 with 5299 viewshoppy

Club Anthem on 14:48 - Sep 5 by No9

It is surprising considering all the musicians who have resided in the county over the years no Town anthem has been composed by any of them?

Are you saying 'Let's go to Town' isn't an anthem?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Club Anthem - Those were the days my friend on 15:46 - Sep 5 with 5302 viewsHeathlander

Should be this as an homage to TWTD.

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We won the cup and conquered Europe too
And then Sir Bobby quit
And then the team got sh!t
But now we're back
We're Paul Hurst's boys in blue

Na na na na na na na
Na na na na na na
Na na na na
Na na na na na na
Na na na na na na
na na na na na na
But now we're back
We're Paul Hurst's boys in blue
Club Anthem on 16:50 - Sep 5 with 5240 viewsSouperJim

Club Anthem on 14:06 - Sep 5 by WeirdFishes

I like him, he's a talented guy and writes good pop music, I took the family to see him at Wembley and it was a great show. I realise that it's probably far more cool to dislike him on here though because he's young / popular?

Anyway I wasn't suggesting anyone was forced to do anything, just thought it was a good Suffolk anthem.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Club Anthem on 17:14 - Sep 5 with 5212 viewsmonytowbray

Club Anthem on 16:50 - Sep 5 by SouperJim

I like him, he's a talented guy and writes good pop music, I took the family to see him at Wembley and it was a great show. I realise that it's probably far more cool to dislike him on here though because he's young / popular?

Anyway I wasn't suggesting anyone was forced to do anything, just thought it was a good Suffolk anthem.

I dislike his music because it's utter dross. His only redeeming feature for me is he supports ITFC.

If we are going to do "Suffolk Anthems" based on where a musician is from someone should come up with some ITFC themed words to this.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Club Anthem on 18:47 - Sep 5 with 5127 viewsWeirdFishes

Never said I dislike him, just playing Castle on the Hill pre match would make any team a laughing stock.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Club Anthem on 18:54 - Sep 5 with 5126 viewsScottCandage

We've come a long, long way together
Through the hard times and the good
I have to celebrate you, baby
I have to praise you like I should...

Club Anthem on 19:40 - Sep 5 with 5057 viewsSlambo

I mentioned something before about Castle On The Hill when this topic came up before. I'm certainly no fan of Ed's oeuvre, to put it mildly, but that song is a decent pop song, quite rousing, and would sound perfectly good as the players came out to it. It's certainly better than Sweet f**king Caroline, which is generic, derivative and has nothing to do with Ipswich. Really annoys me that this has suddenly become a thing...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Club Anthem on 21:01 - Sep 5 with 4975 viewsnorth_stand77

I agree with you, I saw him at Wembley too and he was brilliant. I suggested 'Sing' once before but was laughed at on here.
The Suffolk connection would have been nice too. But that's just my un-cool thoughts too!
Club Anthem on 21:26 - Sep 5 with 4939 viewsbuoyant

There is a tenuous link or maybe two, but it's more of an excuse to play something so bad/good. Not the "bad good" like in the 80's, I can't make up my mind.

UTT

Club Anthem on 21:33 - Sep 5 with 4926 viewsKropotkin123

Club Anthem on 14:02 - Sep 5 by factual_blue

A song that encourages people to drive at fatal speeds along narrow country lanes should not be a 'club anthem'.

maybe change it to driving at 19?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Club Anthem on 21:46 - Sep 5 with 4911 viewsbournemouthblue

A bit out there but sung as a group and it would strangely work

Along the same lines as Puma's Hard Chorus ads

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Club Anthem on 22:37 - Sep 5 with 4843 viewsBlackboots

I remember years ago that Ghost riders in the sky was sung occasionally at PR. No idea why but it sounded good.

I don’t understand why Sweeet Caroline is being played. It’s not even Neil Diamond’s best sing along song. Forever in blue jeans is better and at least the word blue gives it some relevance to our club.

Poll: Do you want George Burley as our next manager ?

Club Anthem on 22:42 - Sep 5 with 4835 viewsMelford

Club Anthem on 14:48 - Sep 5 by No9

I'd like to hear the Brian Eno one. Music For Half-Empty Stadiums.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Club Anthem on 22:45 - Sep 5 with 4830 viewsMelford

Club Anthem on 17:14 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

I dislike his music because it's utter dross. His only redeeming feature for me is he supports ITFC.

If we are going to do "Suffolk Anthems" based on where a musician is from someone should come up with some ITFC themed words to this.

I think his music is dross but I respect the fact he can play a stadium gig with basically the same set-up I take to Open Mike night.

Club Anthem on 22:46 - Sep 5 with 4828 viewsgtsb

I think this is rather appropriate and might be for a while!

Club Anthem on 22:50 - Sep 5 with 4821 viewsMelford

If we are going to adopt an old song we should blaze this before the match, it's a song that always get me fired up before a night out and the chorus is relevant

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024