Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cup Squads 23:00 - Jun 5 with 1455 viewsOldsmoker

The Guardian have a page detailing all the players in the World Cup.
You'll find it here
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/jun/05/world-cup-2018-c

One thing that struck me was the way each country has different defenders/midfielders/strikers ratios. It could be that the Guardian journo who devised it doesn't know his stuff and has put a player in the wrong category but here's the main nations.

Argentina - 7D - 6M - 7S
Belgium - 6D - 8M - 6S
Brazil - 8D - 6M - 6S
England - 10D - 5M - 5S
France - 8D -6M - 6S
Germany - 8D - 9M - 3S
Spain - 8D - 8M - 4S

I guess Germany are playing with one up front and Argentina are going 4-3-3.
I've checked the England squad and yes we have 10 defenders. Has MM joined the England back-room staff?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

World Cup Squads on 23:11 - Jun 5 with 1412 viewstcblue

It's a bit disingenuous though, is it not? Haven't England got mostly wingers or wide midfielders who have transitioned to a wing back (Delph, Young etc)? Also Dier is probably listed as a defender yet more likely will be a DM.

I'm neither an England nor international football in general fan so I might be barking up a wrong tree.
World Cup Squads on 23:15 - Jun 5 with 1407 viewsBluefish

I think we have too many defenders. I would swap Trent Alexander and Jones for milner and lallana

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

World Cup Squads on 23:18 - Jun 5 with 1392 viewsMatt_Netherlands

World Cup Squads on 23:15 - Jun 5 by Bluefish

I think we have too many defenders. I would swap Trent Alexander and Jones for milner and lallana

Delph would be the one to swap for me - apt but not a world beater at LB and CDM, positions where we are pretty well covered already. I worry about our creativity in central midfield quite badly.
World Cup Squads on 23:21 - Jun 5 with 1387 viewsJ2BLUE

World Cup Squads on 23:15 - Jun 5 by Bluefish

Bloody good point. How the hell is Milner not in the squad?!!?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

World Cup Squads on 23:25 - Jun 5 with 1372 viewsCoastalblue

World Cup Squads on 23:18 - Jun 5 by Matt_Netherlands

Delph would be the one to swap for me - apt but not a world beater at LB and CDM, positions where we are pretty well covered already. I worry about our creativity in central midfield quite badly.

I got past worrying abut our inadequacies at least a decade ago and accepted that probably the best I will ever see in terms of England at a WC is Italia '90. I doubt we will top that in my lifetime.

Now I just enjoy World Cups as a football fan and try not to pay too much attention to England aside from the 90 minutes of disapointment when they are playing.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

World Cup Squads on 23:26 - Jun 5 with 1372 viewsBluefish

World Cup Squads on 23:21 - Jun 5 by J2BLUE

Possibly retired from international but we would be miles better with his experience and versatility. I really rate him and he has been excellent for Liverpool this season.

Lallana it going annoys me. Again quite versatile and superb on the ball. He wasn't fit when we announce the squad but we announced very early and he played most of the champions league final after that.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

World Cup Squads on 23:27 - Jun 5 with 1365 viewsOldsmoker

World Cup Squads on 23:21 - Jun 5 by J2BLUE

Milner is someone I would have picked.
He's a Stuart Pearce type of player that we sadly lack at the moment.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

World Cup Squads on 23:38 - Jun 5 with 1330 viewsMelford

World Cup Squads on 23:26 - Jun 5 by Bluefish

Possibly retired from international but we would be miles better with his experience and versatility. I really rate him and he has been excellent for Liverpool this season.

Lallana it going annoys me. Again quite versatile and superb on the ball. He wasn't fit when we announce the squad but we announced very early and he played most of the champions league final after that.

I think every manager of every team going into this World Cup would have Milner in their squad. Spain, Brazil, Germany, the lot. After spending last year at ***king left back goes straight back into centre mid and has the most assists in the champions league. So versatile, can cover every position apart from goalie and central defender.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Login to get fewer ads

World Cup Squads on 23:39 - Jun 5 with 1330 viewsGeoffSentence

I wonder if the squad numbers have any significance, Bart is number 12 and Fabianski 22. Does this mean Bart is second choice keeper or does it have no meaning whatsoever?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024