Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys 09:53 - Apr 29 with 4539 viewsbluesym

regarding budget next year,with the likelihood that there wont be much money made available.

Source - That Nixon journo (has a locked Twitter account so cant share Tweet)

IF this is true, positive news for us id say.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 09:57 - Apr 29 with 4489 viewsJohnny_Boy

Being the Venkeys, it wouldn't surprise me if they were courting a high-profile 'glamour' manager to replace Tony for next season. Then that would pave the way for him to come here without a problem.
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 10:05 - Apr 29 with 4424 viewstheinbetweener

I must have missed the part in ME's interview, where he said the next manager would get millions to spend...
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 10:05 - Apr 29 with 4420 viewsgtsb

I cannot understand why people think appointing Mowbray is a step forward.
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 10:08 - Apr 29 with 4389 viewsmonty_radio

How could it not be so? Any of us could safely write of a promoted manager that he was seeking to talk to the owner re increased resources.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 10:08 - Apr 29 with 4375 viewsTractorCam

Surely the opposite?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 10:15 - Apr 29 with 4323 viewsLord_Lucan

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 10:05 - Apr 29 by gtsb

I agree.

I’m not convinced.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 10:29 - Apr 29 with 4262 viewsRonFearonsHair

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 10:05 - Apr 29 by gtsb

Ah the Mowbray step forward.

Arm up, flag out, you're offside.
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 11:21 - Apr 29 with 4110 viewsTrequartista

So he'd leave a club because it had an uncompetitive budget to join Ipswich Town who have an uncompetitive budget?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 11:22 - Apr 29 with 4095 viewsBluefish

As i keep pointing out that Nixon bloke is absolutely hopeless and still yet to get a piece of def info correct.

Blackburn supporters also say the same

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 11:24 - Apr 29 with 4076 viewsKeaneish

Pretty simple - he's a good manager who's won titles and knows our club thoroughly. No brainer for me.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 11:33 - Apr 29 with 4038 viewsbluesym

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 11:21 - Apr 29 by Trequartista

So he'd leave a club because it had an uncompetitive budget to join Ipswich Town who have an uncompetitive budget?

If the budget was the only factor then i am sure he would.

All ifs,buts and maybes obviously.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 12:40 - Apr 29 with 3912 viewsCurrie10

Same.
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 12:49 - Apr 29 with 3893 viewsHennikerBlu

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 10:15 - Apr 29 by Lord_Lucan

I agree.

I’m not convinced.

There are two aspects to this one is the emotion of the appointment and the second is the stats. Mowbray may win over many on the heart front, but statistically is pretty average.

ME's interview suggests a different structure and this will be interesting . I like what ME conveyed in how the club is now structured (recruitment and youth), to ensure that the club is managed sensibly, whatever the management appointment. I think he has obviously appreciated his past experiences.
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 18:22 - Apr 29 with 3632 viewsSuperfrans

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 12:49 - Apr 29 by HennikerBlu

There are two aspects to this one is the emotion of the appointment and the second is the stats. Mowbray may win over many on the heart front, but statistically is pretty average.

ME's interview suggests a different structure and this will be interesting . I like what ME conveyed in how the club is now structured (recruitment and youth), to ensure that the club is managed sensibly, whatever the management appointment. I think he has obviously appreciated his past experiences.

If winning two promotions (with WBA and Blackburn) is pretty average, I’m not sure what we’re expecting.

If you judge him alongside the five point plan, he seems a logical choice:
1 — ‘provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the club’s academy, enabling a steady flow of players into the first-team’ - Mowbray has a track rcord for supporting youth. 8/10.
2 — ‘provide a sustainable and competitive squad salary budget’ - this is down to Evans, but Mowbray hasn’t had masses of money to spend at Blackburn. And he will come with a working knowledge of League One and will know where the bargains potentially are. 8/10.
3 — ‘make annual investment funds available to purchase players in the early stages of their career and to assist in their development - Mowbray has a track record for coaching and developing young talent. 8/10.
4 — ‘Maintain a stable management and coaching team - Mowbray knows our coaching team, from top to bottom, from Klug to Hogg to Bramble and Dyer. He represents the most suitable that anyone could possibly be from this standpoint. 10/10.
5 - Develop a team to play attractive and exciting football - Mowbray plays passing football. 9/10.

I’d add on top of this the other factor raised by Evans - the importance of a united club. And of all the men being mooted as possible managers, Mowbray would unite the fans more than anyone else and get the greatest latitude because of his history at the club. 10/10.

And, of course, he has won promotions from the Championship and League One. He knows the English league like the back of his hand. And his success with the players at Blackburn suggests he is also a perfect match for our “all for one” squad. He appears to have built his success on a similar unity that we have here. 9/10 on both of these.

He is the obvious and most suitable choice. The question is whether he will leave Blackburn, having just got them promoted. His conversations with the Venkys will be key there.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 19:23 - Apr 29 with 3493 viewstractorboy1978

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 18:22 - Apr 29 by Superfrans

If winning two promotions (with WBA and Blackburn) is pretty average, I’m not sure what we’re expecting.

1 — ‘provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the club’s academy, enabling a steady flow of players into the first-team’ - Mowbray has a track rcord for supporting youth. 8/10.
2 — ‘provide a sustainable and competitive squad salary budget’ - this is down to Evans, but Mowbray hasn’t had masses of money to spend at Blackburn. And he will come with a working knowledge of League One and will know where the bargains potentially are. 8/10.
3 — ‘make annual investment funds available to purchase players in the early stages of their career and to assist in their development - Mowbray has a track record for coaching and developing young talent. 8/10.
4 — ‘Maintain a stable management and coaching team - Mowbray knows our coaching team, from top to bottom, from Klug to Hogg to Bramble and Dyer. He represents the most suitable that anyone could possibly be from this standpoint. 10/10.
5 - Develop a team to play attractive and exciting football - Mowbray plays passing football. 9/10.

I’d add on top of this the other factor raised by Evans - the importance of a united club. And of all the men being mooted as possible managers, Mowbray would unite the fans more than anyone else and get the greatest latitude because of his history at the club. 10/10.

And, of course, he has won promotions from the Championship and League One. He knows the English league like the back of his hand. And his success with the players at Blackburn suggests he is also a perfect match for our “all for one” squad. He appears to have built his success on a similar unity that we have here. 9/10 on both of these.

He is the obvious and most suitable choice. The question is whether he will leave Blackburn, having just got them promoted. His conversations with the Venkys will be key there.

Well said. He ticks every single box for me. You could slot him and Venus in alongside the current staff tomorrow without any bother - no need to change the structure, no need to have a huge backroom staff overhaul.
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 19:27 - Apr 29 with 3469 viewstractorboy1978

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 12:49 - Apr 29 by HennikerBlu

He suggested it would be "different" right at the end of the interview but that was inconsistent with other things he said during the interview. He talked about someone to bring through the academy players, someone to work with the current staff in place (sports science, scouting, academy). At no point did he suggest change of structure i.e DOF type approach - we aren't going to see any revolutionary change.
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 19:29 - Apr 29 with 3466 viewsconnorscontract

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 18:22 - Apr 29 by Superfrans

I agree. I'm surprised that anyone could be unhappy if Mogga was appointed,

There are several managers who I'd be happy with, for different reasons, Tony Mowbray is a really sensible, solid choice. Mark Warburton is a decent choice for me. Most other experienced Championship managers who might be available to us have baggage and have the possibility of being a bit Jewell at Ipswich rather than Jewell at Wigan.

There are younger Division One managers who play good football. They have a track record but would still be a bit of a gamble.

Then there are the left-field choices: "legend" ex-players like Lampard, and people from overseas Leagues like White, Shefki or in a very different way people like Steijn. They are much more "high risk, potential high reward". The primary reason for going for one of these would be a hunch that they are going to be great and a fear of missing out, that you'd be like the A&R man who turned down The Beatles.

Personally I think Lampard has a lot of very interesting attributes, but he would be a complete gamble. White's interview intrigued me. He's clearly got something and either just happens to have a philosophy which matches where we are now, or had done his research extremely well and pitched his message perfectly. Which demonstrates some very important managerial skills. It would be fascinating if we did take the plunge with him. The most significant thing about him is that he clearly sets medium and long term goals and is ambitious in doing so.

Mowbray would be the most sensible choice. I'd be very happy with Warburton. If Cardiff dump Warnock I'd jump at the opportunity to take him. If Evans decides he can work well with one of the hot League One managers then I'd trust his judgement.

I'm most interested in Gary White. He deserves a chance at this level. He's not the most sensible choice, but he is the one who wants it more than anyone, apart from perhaps Shefki, and who wants to build something.

But he could just be a "Magic" beans salesman. Working that out is Marcus's job.
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 20:20 - Apr 29 with 3349 viewsSuperfrans

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 19:29 - Apr 29 by connorscontract

There are several managers who I'd be happy with, for different reasons, Tony Mowbray is a really sensible, solid choice. Mark Warburton is a decent choice for me. Most other experienced Championship managers who might be available to us have baggage and have the possibility of being a bit Jewell at Ipswich rather than Jewell at Wigan.

There are younger Division One managers who play good football. They have a track record but would still be a bit of a gamble.

Then there are the left-field choices: "legend" ex-players like Lampard, and people from overseas Leagues like White, Shefki or in a very different way people like Steijn. They are much more "high risk, potential high reward". The primary reason for going for one of these would be a hunch that they are going to be great and a fear of missing out, that you'd be like the A&R man who turned down The Beatles.

Personally I think Lampard has a lot of very interesting attributes, but he would be a complete gamble. White's interview intrigued me. He's clearly got something and either just happens to have a philosophy which matches where we are now, or had done his research extremely well and pitched his message perfectly. Which demonstrates some very important managerial skills. It would be fascinating if we did take the plunge with him. The most significant thing about him is that he clearly sets medium and long term goals and is ambitious in doing so.

Mowbray would be the most sensible choice. I'd be very happy with Warburton. If Cardiff dump Warnock I'd jump at the opportunity to take him. If Evans decides he can work well with one of the hot League One managers then I'd trust his judgement.

I'm most interested in Gary White. He deserves a chance at this level. He's not the most sensible choice, but he is the one who wants it more than anyone, apart from perhaps Shefki, and who wants to build something.

But he could just be a "Magic" beans salesman. Working that out is Marcus's job.

Indeed. I've been consistently in favour of Mowbray or Warburton since day 1.

He is the obvious, stand-out candidate and is the only one worth waiting for, imho. I really can't imagine why he wouldn't be number 1 on Evans' list either. If he asked Klug or any of the current coaching staff, I'm sure he'd be the first name they'd mention too.

Warburton is the other solid choice, who would fit in within our existing structure, plays good football, can work within budgets and also understands the coach/DoF structure. He's had a tough time at Forest (but thats a nutjob of a club) and Rangers (ditto), but at our level managers aren't going to be consistently brilliant wherever they go. plus, of course, even the best manager can struggle at a club with backroom issues.

Of the "legends", the one who interests me most is Scott Parker - he's apparently done brilliant work for Spurs under-18s this season, would also be known by Klug and is someone who has had his eye on management for many years. He'd be ahead of Gerrard, Lampard, Barnes (if he is at all a serious candidate) or Bellamy etc for me... Although even he would be a risk. Anyone who has never managed a club would be.

I can see the appeal of the "he's exciting unknown, who knows what he might do" type. But, of course, you could quite well find yourself with the new David Wagner or Eddie Howe, but you could also end up with someone who is clearly out of their depth. Some lower league managers simoly can't step up - even Heckingbottom is struggling at Leeds, as Nigel Clough did when he left Burton first time for Derby.

Of the lower league successes, Paul Hurst would be most interesting for me, his Shrews play really good football by all accounts, but we'd have to wait a long time for him if we're having to see out the play-offs. And who knows how he would step up, his experience is mostly non-league from what I can see and it would be a big leap to a Championship club with ambitions for promotion to the Prem.

I can't see why Paul Cook would come to a club with which he has no connection, rather than stay with his current squad, newly promoted to the Championship and with some momentum behind them. The same could be said about Hurst (if they get promotion via the play-offs) but the Shrews are a smaller club with much less potential than Wigan/us.

Shefki would be a terrible choice though, likewise bringing back Burley. That really would be heart over head stuff - thankfully I doubt very much Evans would think that way.

Gary White is interesting, but that really could go either way. And I didn't like his arrogance from the interview. He makes Mick seem like a shrinking violet.

My main concern would be ending up with another of the old lags from managerial merry-go-round, like Pardew, Megson. Even Nigel Pearson would be a concern for me - also an intensely arrogant man. I think we could do without one of those this time round.

My big worry is what happens if Mogga wants to stay at Blackburn - and someone else snaps up Warburton. My plan c would be either Hurst (risky, but exciting and potentially progressive), Grayson if he doesn't stay at Bradford (been there, done it, worn the t-shirt).

If none of those work out, I've got no idea. And I do wonder if there is someone who we have all overlooked, we can come through and impress Evans. We shouldn't forget, Magilton got his shot (over other, more experienced candidates) because he came in and did a brilliant interview. There are things we won't see, like that, which could throw in a complete curveball...

What a scary few weeks we have ahead of us.

But, as you say, working all this out is Evans' job. To be honest, I just want it to be over...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 20:24 - Apr 29 with 3335 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 19:29 - Apr 29 by connorscontract

An excellent post.

My gut feeling is Mowbray will be in charge of Blackburn next season.

You are absolutely right about Gary White, reading what he wants to do here was impressive and it's the kind of appointment that appears to be a natural fit.

It's a must that he is interviewed and I'm hoping he is in the mix at the final selection.
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 21:02 - Apr 29 with 3261 viewstractorboy1978

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 20:20 - Apr 29 by Superfrans

Indeed. I've been consistently in favour of Mowbray or Warburton since day 1.

He is the obvious, stand-out candidate and is the only one worth waiting for, imho. I really can't imagine why he wouldn't be number 1 on Evans' list either. If he asked Klug or any of the current coaching staff, I'm sure he'd be the first name they'd mention too.

Warburton is the other solid choice, who would fit in within our existing structure, plays good football, can work within budgets and also understands the coach/DoF structure. He's had a tough time at Forest (but thats a nutjob of a club) and Rangers (ditto), but at our level managers aren't going to be consistently brilliant wherever they go. plus, of course, even the best manager can struggle at a club with backroom issues.

Of the "legends", the one who interests me most is Scott Parker - he's apparently done brilliant work for Spurs under-18s this season, would also be known by Klug and is someone who has had his eye on management for many years. He'd be ahead of Gerrard, Lampard, Barnes (if he is at all a serious candidate) or Bellamy etc for me... Although even he would be a risk. Anyone who has never managed a club would be.

I can see the appeal of the "he's exciting unknown, who knows what he might do" type. But, of course, you could quite well find yourself with the new David Wagner or Eddie Howe, but you could also end up with someone who is clearly out of their depth. Some lower league managers simoly can't step up - even Heckingbottom is struggling at Leeds, as Nigel Clough did when he left Burton first time for Derby.

Of the lower league successes, Paul Hurst would be most interesting for me, his Shrews play really good football by all accounts, but we'd have to wait a long time for him if we're having to see out the play-offs. And who knows how he would step up, his experience is mostly non-league from what I can see and it would be a big leap to a Championship club with ambitions for promotion to the Prem.

I can't see why Paul Cook would come to a club with which he has no connection, rather than stay with his current squad, newly promoted to the Championship and with some momentum behind them. The same could be said about Hurst (if they get promotion via the play-offs) but the Shrews are a smaller club with much less potential than Wigan/us.

Shefki would be a terrible choice though, likewise bringing back Burley. That really would be heart over head stuff - thankfully I doubt very much Evans would think that way.

Gary White is interesting, but that really could go either way. And I didn't like his arrogance from the interview. He makes Mick seem like a shrinking violet.

My main concern would be ending up with another of the old lags from managerial merry-go-round, like Pardew, Megson. Even Nigel Pearson would be a concern for me - also an intensely arrogant man. I think we could do without one of those this time round.

My big worry is what happens if Mogga wants to stay at Blackburn - and someone else snaps up Warburton. My plan c would be either Hurst (risky, but exciting and potentially progressive), Grayson if he doesn't stay at Bradford (been there, done it, worn the t-shirt).

If none of those work out, I've got no idea. And I do wonder if there is someone who we have all overlooked, we can come through and impress Evans. We shouldn't forget, Magilton got his shot (over other, more experienced candidates) because he came in and did a brilliant interview. There are things we won't see, like that, which could throw in a complete curveball...

What a scary few weeks we have ahead of us.

But, as you say, working all this out is Evans' job. To be honest, I just want it to be over...

Must admit, the 'someone saying the right things at an interview' idea worries me. There are plenty out there who can talk well but have little substance. Evans has been very open about what he wants and is looking for so it wouldn't be hard for someone to come across as ticking the boxes if they put it across with enough conviction.

I'd like to think Mowbray is target number one and we have made contact - he doesn't need an interview, I think he speaks for himself and has enough backing from others at the club already.
Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 21:10 - Apr 29 with 3228 viewsconnorscontract

Apparently Mowbray is going to have talks with the Venkeys on 21:02 - Apr 29 by tractorboy1978

Must admit, the 'someone saying the right things at an interview' idea worries me. There are plenty out there who can talk well but have little substance. Evans has been very open about what he wants and is looking for so it wouldn't be hard for someone to come across as ticking the boxes if they put it across with enough conviction.

I'd like to think Mowbray is target number one and we have made contact - he doesn't need an interview, I think he speaks for himself and has enough backing from others at the club already.

Dream Team: Tony Mowbray with Gary White as Director of Communications!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024