Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... 17:36 - Mar 25 with 7312 viewsitfcjoe

....he struggled with England but just to even have got that job shows how highly rated he has been.

He’s gone abroad and won a league title, won silverware with Boro also. Tried to play decent football and is an excellent coach.

His record is chequered, but some of the posts I read are ridiculous - my only real issue is that he wouldn’t hang around if he had a better offer, but that’s not something to worry about yet!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 17:42 - Mar 25 with 4876 viewsGarv

He is a bit of a joke figure for obvious reasons and I don't particularly warm to him, but I agree and don't see why there is such a negative reaction.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 17:48 - Mar 25 with 4855 viewsBlueBadger

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 17:42 - Mar 25 by Garv

He is a bit of a joke figure for obvious reasons and I don't particularly warm to him, but I agree and don't see why there is such a negative reaction.

Mclaren, like Mick and Jewell before him is just another one in the run of somewhat unimaginative and not-overly inspiring managerial appointments made by Evans. Whether he could overcome that initial reception(Jewell couldn't, Mick kind of did) is another matter.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 17:52]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 17:53 - Mar 25 with 4833 viewsevansblue

If we are to replace Mick then I want an up and coming young manager with potential, not someone who has been there before. I want someone for whom the Ipswich job is the biggest job of their life and something they relish. I want to go on a journey with them and see both them and the team develop. For that reason McLaren does not excite me one bit and replacing Mick with McLaren, who has failed in this league with pots of cash seems bizarre.
Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:06 - Mar 25 with 4811 viewsHennikerBlu

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 17:48 - Mar 25 by BlueBadger

Mclaren, like Mick and Jewell before him is just another one in the run of somewhat unimaginative and not-overly inspiring managerial appointments made by Evans. Whether he could overcome that initial reception(Jewell couldn't, Mick kind of did) is another matter.

Yes that is a fair assessment, arguably McLaren has the slightly better CV. Unfortunately I am not sure of one candidate that will unite us, especially under the current ownership.
Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:06 - Mar 25 with 4808 viewsBasuco

100% agree, Steve McLaren would be a great appointment if ME can get it over the line.
Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:07 - Mar 25 with 4794 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah but he managed Derby & everything to do with Derby is sh1t.

Or something like that.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:08 - Mar 25 with 4786 viewsReuser_is_God

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 17:48 - Mar 25 by BlueBadger

McLaren has a CV that Mick & Jewell could only dream of.

Evans out

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:09 - Mar 25 with 4786 viewsElderGrizzly

Completely agree. We won’t be shopping in the top bracket either, so would be an excellent appointment.

Evans to his credit doesn’t tend to skimp on wages for managers, so it could be possible
Login to get fewer ads

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:11 - Mar 25 with 4771 viewschicoazul

It's just such a rote appointment. I mean he could be good (although his record at Derby for one and Newcastle for another doesnt set the world on fire) and i'll support him but it's literally the most boring appointment we could make if it happens.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:12 - Mar 25 with 4761 viewsReuser_is_God

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:11 - Mar 25 by chicoazul

It's just such a rote appointment. I mean he could be good (although his record at Derby for one and Newcastle for another doesnt set the world on fire) and i'll support him but it's literally the most boring appointment we could make if it happens.

Don’t understand why it’s a boring appointment?

He’d get us playing a more watchable brand of football than what Mick does.

Evans out

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:17 - Mar 25 with 4736 viewsHurleyBurley

I've hated Mick's football over the last 18 months but I respect the bloke. I agree that the majority of fans know very little about football. If Shteeve gets the job, fans will come round to liking him if results go our way for long enough. Posters on here will get behind him the moment HarryFromBath gives him the nod.

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:17 - Mar 25 with 4734 viewsLankHenners

The other side of that is that more than a few have put 'he's not Mick' at the top of the list of positives about him which is a barmy and frankly dangerous way of thinking.

I wouldn't be totally against his appointment although I'd hardly be punching the air with joy either. Would feel like another uninspiring 'knows the Championship well' appointment by Evans which on the face of it isn't necessarily a bad thing for where we are but is hardly a complete breath of fresh air which this place needs.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:18 - Mar 25 with 4730 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:11 - Mar 25 by chicoazul

Not my cup of tea. Far from it. But I'd take him as he wouldn't be playing with 8-9 defensively minded players trying to match up an opposition.
Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:21 - Mar 25 with 4697 viewsBrixtonBlue

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 17:53 - Mar 25 by evansblue

If we are to replace Mick then I want an up and coming young manager with potential, not someone who has been there before. I want someone for whom the Ipswich job is the biggest job of their life and something they relish. I want to go on a journey with them and see both them and the team develop. For that reason McLaren does not excite me one bit and replacing Mick with McLaren, who has failed in this league with pots of cash seems bizarre.

I just want someone who is good.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:24 - Mar 25 with 4679 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 17:53 - Mar 25 by evansblue

Graham Alexander could be the one you want then.
Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:26 - Mar 25 with 4669 viewswkj

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:21 - Mar 25 by BrixtonBlue

I just want someone who is good.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:30 - Mar 25 with 4638 viewschicoazul

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:12 - Mar 25 by Reuser_is_God

Don’t understand why it’s a boring appointment?

He’d get us playing a more watchable brand of football than what Mick does.

Because it's the obvious one. I'd much rather we go with someone who isnt pretty much a proven failure at this level.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:45 - Mar 25 with 4602 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

His time at Newcastle and the derby recently is a tad worrying but i wouldn’t be against him at all.

He’d be a far better appointment than the other linked person today: Staam.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:46 - Mar 25 with 4591 viewsdavblue

I’m not a fan of his demeanour and the way he carries himself. He looks like he would eat himself if he could and have heard that from a few people in the game.

He always feels like he has an ulterior motive and thinks he’s better than he is.

He’s very highly thought of as a coach, plays reasonable football, not totally against it but would prefer another.
Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:48 - Mar 25 with 4576 viewsReuser_is_God

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:45 - Mar 25 by The_Romford_Blue

His time at Newcastle and the derby recently is a tad worrying but i wouldn’t be against him at all.

Is that Jap Staam?

Evans out

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:48 - Mar 25 with 4578 viewsbrogansnose

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:45 - Mar 25 by The_Romford_Blue

McClaren doesn't have me singing and dancing but ,meh, it could be much worse and in fact its not too shabby despite not being my prime pick.

As for Staam, jeez, up there with Cotterill in the scheisse stakes.
Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:51 - Mar 25 with 4565 viewswkj

Im only 'against him' as a bit of playfulness. If he were to come here I certainly wouldn't be calling for his head before his first game. I do worry about how quick some fans will want results - 'our brand of football' is an easy reason.excuse to fire vitriol at Mick, but if we played more entertaining football and still stuck around mid table, it wouldn't take long for the moaning and hatred to start over again, and if it is under McClaren, then people will likely moan about how he should be better.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:58 - Mar 25 with 4535 viewsSuperfrans

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 17:42 - Mar 25 by Garv

He seems to be a joke figure because he once held an umbrella and tried to assimilate into Dutch culture when he went there. Surely we should put his coaching/managerial performance ahead of both of these.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:59 - Mar 25 with 4529 viewsKieran_Knows

You can keep going on about a young progressive manager all you want, but you’re forgetting 2 key elements in the managerial selection progress, and that’s Evans and Milne. I’d be very surprised if we appointed someone like that.

Mowbray would be my choice, but if it’s not him it’ll be someone of similar experience, I presume.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 19:04 - Mar 25 with 4515 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Amazes me how against Steve McLaren some fans are.... on 18:48 - Mar 25 by Reuser_is_God

Is that Jap Staam?

Whatever his name is.

His tappy tappy no urgency bollox would drive me crackers

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024